Chit-Chat

Several people arrive at the Appledown Train Station eager to be on the last train north to Ashford. Unfortunately nothing is at seems and everything goes downhill from there.

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chit-Chat

Post by Laraqua »

Things are just heating up, it seems.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by RhinoRat »

Very interesting!

If I was there in person I would already be screaming.
Of course I have a very low tolerance for suspense.
:)
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

I am thinking I should have put less points in Photography and more in Athletics, or other fun skills (Archeology, Art, Basket Weaving...) so I could be reading some of the juicy clues that are everywhere. Oh well, live and learn. Or die and learn? Maybe I will get lucky and just go insane and learn. :D
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

This is probably the only game where loads of dots in Photography are helpful! But yeah, feel free to reduce it for other Investigative points, though you can't swap it from Photography to Athletics as Athletics is a general skill and has a different tally.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Laraqua wrote:...you can't swap it from Photography to Athletics as Athletics is a general skill and has a different tally.
Ah. Maybe that is why I didn't do it in the first place. I know this will sound ridiculous to most of you, but when I was reading the quick start rules I kept getting Occupation Abilities and Investigative Abilities mixed up. So I thought I had to spend my 20 points on Occupational abilities. Luckily with a few re-reads, and looking at some other people's posts I got it sorted out, but by that time I just started throwing points in so I could finish my investigator and still catch the train! :)

Actually I think I kept my Athletics low so that I could spend less to get a higher rate in "Fleeing" as I was assuming I would need to do that quite a bit. See what I get for being cheap?

No, I don't want to swap anything at this point. I will stick with what I have. Just general griping at my lack of experience. And speaking of griping....I have to change my mindset a bit for ToC and not pull my gun at the first sign/sound of danger. Oops! :oops:
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

Thanks for the explanation. I was having some weird computer synching issues late last night and I suspect the double posting was a result of that...
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

I think the gun pulling made a lot of sense. It just makes people notice that this is scary, which they're not liking. But at least you don't waste a round pulling it when the German paratroopers leap in.

RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Are you sure you can' t throw in a German paratrooper or two just so my character feels less embarrassed? Just kidding.

Laraqua wrote:The train would be sure to leave soon. It would only wait a few short minutes before moving on.
I am still trying to figure out if I WANT to be on the train, or if that would be a worse fate!
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Wow, things get complicated with permissions on forums that already exist...
Hopefully dice are now enabled, fingers crossed!

[dice]1d6[/dice]
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Sometimes I despair and other times I'm merely discouraged.

[dice]0[/dice]

Click here for the low-down on dice-rolling
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Thanks carnage_lee!

I didn't realize not all the boards have dice rollers set up.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Careful what you wish for.

And thanks Carnage_Lee!

RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Laraqua wrote:Careful what you wish for.
No, no! No wishes here. You are doing great, just ignore me!
:D
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

While bolt cutters aren't a likely one for this, just remember in future you can roll / spend Preparedness to have an item on hand that you hadn't listed in your Equipment.

RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Laraqua wrote:
Regarding Sense Trouble rolls,they are used as Listen checks or an uncanny feeling that something is about to happen as much as anything else so if I call for them than it's best for everyone to do it. Some people's hearing is just better than others. Also it might be worth asking these questions and other out of character matters in the Chit-Chat thread. :D
Thanks for the info. Do we roll here or in the other thread? I have seen it done different ways in the different games I have been reading through on here.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

You can roll in the thread where it's needed, and put it with some line of description, like: He quirked an ear, trying to make out further details. Or something like that. Just general OOC questions can be placed here (or in the Spoiler button at the bottom of your post if it's something small).

RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Laraqua wrote:
Mechanical Repair roll,re-reading the books skills like Mechanical Repair are one of the few ones where you can just spend a point on occasion to do things like diagnosing a fault rather than making a roll if it's relatively simple. In terms of an investigative roll, you then don't need to spend a point because it would go under "if you have this skill you would pretty much just know" so you get to save your point. Sorry, I'm still new to this rule set. On the plus side, you can tell by looking the stove over that it has a full gas tank and isn't leaking at all. It doesn't really look like anything has been spilled around it either and the kettle fluid smells like water. The stink seems to be hanging in the air itself. It does make you feel light-headed being stuck in there, though.
No problem on the points and rules. I am even more brand new, and haven't gotten my copy of the rules yet (in the mail...still a week away); so far I just have the quick start rules. Thanks for clarifying.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

My stability role as I can't get the dice to roll on the other board

[dice]0[/dice]
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Hey Lauraqua

I see you rolled a 4 and I rolled a two, would love to take yours..but not sure that that is fair! just wanted to flag it here.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

We'll save the four for you later.

Return to “The Last Train Home (Trail of Cthulhu)”