Episode Two - The Plot Thickens..

Journey with us to an alternative 1898, where history rubs shoulders with imagination. Where ‘what was’ is replaced by ‘what might have been’. Leagues of Adventures presents, for your edification – ‘The Dreaming Spires, episode one of the Great Game Campaign’.

“... A time when science itself stands poised to usher in a new golden age, or doom the world to terrible war.
In the ancient university of Cambridge, the scion of an aristocratic family has gone missing, unearthing a plot which threatens to plunge the British Empire into chaos.
Can the intrepid globetrotters solve the Cambridge conspiracy before it’s too late? What secrets lie hidden beneath its dreaming spires?”

Moderator: Priest

carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: Episode Two - The Plot Thickens..

Post by carnage_lee »

Jonathan, Rachel, Nellie, Roxburgh & Ponsonby

Unfortunately the coach can't move off immediately, Alf has the horses under control but Roxburgh is in the process of climbing down from his seat to fetch the dropped shot-gun. "Hold up... we can't leave the shotgun behind." Roxburgh's portly frame swings down from the front of the coach and picks up the fallen weapon.

"F.. follow those madmen! They shot at us.. drivin' to the Rozzers is more like it!" says a very unhappy Alf.
OOC,You'll have to be persuasive... if you want to try and catch up. Ohh 'Rozzers' is slang for the cops.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The most important thing is that we get back to Cambridge before they do," says Rachel. "whether we catch up to them and stop or pass them, or whether you know of a shortcut. The fate of the British Empire is at stake! I'm sure Her Majesty would be grateful for your service. We must all do our bit for our country. Your job is just to get us there. We'll take care of the rest."
OOC,Con roll (5 dice): [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

As soon as Roxburgh climbs back up to his position on the outside of the carriage, a suitably eager Alf gets the horses moving. Turning right onto Barton road the 'Growler' picks up speed "I can't see any lights up ahead.. I can get ya to Trinity in fifteen minutes but I can't see them other fellows."

"He is right, there's no other carriages on this stretch of the road.."

The carriage will soon have to make a left turn to head north to Trinity College, you could take Grange Road which is the first left or carry on till nearly at the river Cam (another 300 yards or so). Which way?

OOC,You're already in the 'outskirts' of Cambridge, Where you are now it's about half a mile, 'as the crow flies' to Trinity (Fen House would actually be located a little more than two and a quarter miles (by road) from Trinity. It wasn't until I checked a map that I realised how short the distances would actually be.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Which way will get us back to Trinity College faster?" Rachel asks Alf, who is after all the expert.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

As their coach races down the road Jonathan begins to pack his pipe in hopes of having a smoke before they arrive back at Trinity.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC:   Run out of time! I'm away next week - will try to get the next scene started before the end of the week.  
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Alf cracks the whip and takes a turn heading North "Aye... we'll be there in five minutes." Alf sounds relieved not to be following or 'hunting' the other carriage.

"No doubt those scoundrels carried on towards the river" Roxburgh says, he can't make out any lights ahead of them.

Edward moans and stirs, the recent jolting seems to have caused him some distress... his eyes open his mouth opens and in a croaking voice says three words "the Hidden God" before slumping unconscious once more.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Can [b]Jonathan[/b] help him? He does have Medicine, with a specialization in First Aid.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC,You can always try :twisted: he needs medical attention for the head injury but he's in no immediate danger.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"See if you can do something to help him," Rachel says to Jonathan as she checks that her revolver is fully loaded. "I don't think his injury is life-threatening, but it would be helpful if he were able to speak coherently."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Jonathan nods at Rachel and says, "Alright, I'll see what I can do." Clenching his pipe between his teeth he moves over to Edward and begins to look at the head injury.
OOC:   Medicine (First Aid) 5
[dice]0[/dice]
4 SUCCESSES!  
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Jonthan examines Ponsonby's wounded head by the flicking light of an oil-lamp held aloft by Nellie; his fingertips probe the scabbed over wound and with an unsatisfied clucking of his tongue he lifts each of the unconscious youth's eyelids. "I think we have done all we can for the lad, there is no evidence of a fractured skull ... head wounds can be tricky, someone at Trinity can summon a doctor." Jonathan then covers the wound back up and takes his seat again.

A few moments later the carriage pulls up having reached the Great Gate on Trinity Street, "Righto, we're 'ere." says Alf and he ties off the reins and jumps down from his perch. Roxburgh clambers down, before he can do anything else the side door in the Great Gate opens and the familiar figure of Inspector Harcourt steps out, closely followed by Magsworthy and then a Police Constable.

Harcourt starts to speak but is beaten to it by Roxburgh "Ahh... Magsworthy..." he booms "Please summon medical assistance, we have Edward Ponsonby in the carriage... he has been hurt in an accident." he carries on ignoring the spluttering Inspector.

Alf has opened the carriage door and helped the ladies alight, "Gawd, 'e looks in a right state, I do 'ope 'e ain't bleedin' all over my seats!" the cab-driver sound quite alarmed.

With an encouraging nod from Roxburgh to Magsworthy the College Porter disappears back into the gate house.

Harcourt steps over to the carriage and pulls Alf out of the way and peers inside.. "This looks very serious.." with those words you are aware of the Police Constable stepping over to stand behind you "So then... what happened here then?" Harcourt asks, pulling out his notebook from his coat pocket.
Jonathan First Aid,the four successes are enough to let you know that there's not much you can do and [b]Ponsonby[/b] needs [i]proper[/i] medical attention.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There's not a moment to lose, Inspector!" says Rachel. "We've discovered that there is to be an attempt on the chancellor Sir William Vernon Harcourt's life at the Apostle's Dinner! We must warn him of the danger!" It occurs to Rachel that it is likely that the chancellor is related to the inspector in some way, as they share the same surname.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

OOC,Whoops! I'd forgotten that that piece of information had already been given up (far too early in the adventure IMHO) - that rather changes what I had planned for the next scene :cry: I'll have to come up with something else...
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Magsworthy, scoots off to summon aid for the stricken youth, seemingly persuaded by Roxburgh and the cab-driver Alf.

Inspector Harcourt raises an eyebrow "To my certain knowledge Sir William is in London and it is definitely too late to be having dinner. Now while we are waiting for medical assistance you can answer my questions." he seems to make a few marks in his notebook. "Can you account for your whereabouts for the last two hours?" he fixes each one of you with a stare.

Alf steps forward, "'Ang about, we need to get this bloke out of my cab.." only to be brought up short as the constable places a large hand on the cab-driver's shoulder.

"I would advise you to answer the Inspector's questions... this is a very serious matter." the Constable says in a deep voice.

Inspector Harcourt,is NOT related to the Chancellor, the surname is a coincidence (well the Inspector isn't named as part of the scenario as written).
Perception,for anyone that can make 3 successes vs. their perception - you fancy that [b]Magsworthy[/b] paused as he turned to go back through the gate.. right as [b]Rachel[/b] mentioned the word "Apostle's". For 2 or more - It's obvious that while a plot against the Chancellor of the Exchequer is a serious accusation he has another matter on his mind. (
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We were at Fen House," says Rachel, "rescuing young Ponsonby, who had been kidnapped and imprisoned there. He can confirm that when he recovers."
OOC,Perception roll (5 dice): [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Jonthan puffs on his pipe and nods in agreement with Rachel, though his eyes follow Magsworthy.
OOC:   Perception 5
[dice]0[/dice]
3 SUCCESSES!  
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Perception Rolls for:
Nellie (8),[dice]0[/dice]
Roxburgh (5),[dice]1[/dice]
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

At the main gates of Trinity college

Inpector Harcourt pauses, his pencil poised just above the page of his pocket note-book. "Kidnapping and Imprisonment... now those are extremely serious accusations, very serious indeed..." he does his best to fix everyone with an intimidating stare finally resting on Alf who looks a little nervous.

"Now.. don't be lookin' at me like that, all I did is drive 'em out there and wait; I didn't do no rescuing nor shooting at my own cab.. look 'ere" Alf points to the damaged lantern on the side of his cab, a bullet hole can be clearly seen through the metal. "Who's gonna pay for that.. and cleaning the blood up?" Alf looks very sorry for himself, wringing his hands worried about his livelihood.

"Shooting..!" Harcout exclaims.

"That makes three incidents tonight, Sir! the burly constable add in a grim voice.

"Indeed it does Constable... and two of them incidents involving our friends here.. highly suspicious.. Constable summon transport, these people have some questions to answer... Look lively lad." he says, snapping his notebook closed.

The Constable rushes off and you can hear him blow his whistle from the street corner to summon more of Cambridge's finest.

At that moment Magsworthy re-appears with another man, both slightly out of breath. "I managed to find Dr. Dennis Sir." he says to Harcourt and proceeds to examine the unconscious youth slumped on the seats of Alf's cab.

"I ain't going down the nick... it ain't me what's done nuffink.." Alf whines.

After a few minutes Dr. Dennis pronounces that Ponsonby is definitely 'out for the count' with a large gash to his head (and this man has a medical degree!) maybe a concussion and asks Magsworthy to 'rustle up' some more porters and stretcher the lad off to the infirmary. "He'll be right as rain in the morning, young students are always getting themselves knocked out what!"

There's probably a couple of minutes till the Constable comes back ... what are you going to do?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think we can wait until morning for Ponsonby to recover," Rachel whispers to her friends. "There isn't much time to prevent the assassination. We must get to the Apostle's Dinner, but where is it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Dreaming Spires”