Page 1 of 1

Episode Two - The Plot Thickens..

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:59 pm
by Priest
Episode Two - The Plot Thickens

Fen House is situated about a mile north of Cambridge on the road for Ely, just before the other side of the village of Impstone. It is, of course, dark as you arrive in the cab driven by none other than your earlier acquaintance Alf Milsom.
In the scudding moonlight you are able to see, what in daylight, you would imagine to be a handsome, if somewhat neglected, 18th century house, with a small cluster of adjacent outbuildings. Although private from the lane, which passes for a road, the approach to the building is a simple matter. Alf, who seems to be an expert on the fens, advises you to stay to the track and avoid the fens.

From the lights that can clearly be seen at the Georgian windows of the ground floor at the left, it would appear that someone is home....

Re: Episode Two - The Plot Thickens..

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:48 am
by Mr. Handy

After instructing Alf to await their return, she confers with her colleagues. "We know that Choker couldn't have gotten here ahead of us, at least. I'm sure his servants are still at home. We need to gain entry and find the cellar. I suggest we use the servants' entrance. I brought along one of Laura's spare maid outfits that could be a suitable disguise for myself or Nellie. The staff no doubt know each other, so it won't pass close inspection, but it might suffice in the dark or from a distance if its wearer is spotted. I do not intend to be spotted, however."

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:54 pm
by carnage_lee

Whilst in the cab Nellie reviews the recent events, some of which have her troubled...
Nellie thinking:   "How on earth did Choker get back into the College after I has chased him? He could only have gone outside into the street but there wasn't any sign of him. He definitely wasn't ahead of me on the stairs up tot the roof either, of course he could have doubled back into the court-yard whilst I was on the roof but then where was he? It's as if he made himself invisible ...  
At last they roll to a stop in the lane outside 'Fen House', the moonlight make the façade appear to loom out of the ground full of menacing shadows and brooding malign intent. "Goodness, that is definitely the dwelling of a villain, I suppose it looks much nicer in daylight but this house looks like it was design by the architect after reading one of those 'penny dreadful's." she says after quickly alighting from the cab.

Listening to Rachel's outline of a plan Nellie nods in the darkness, "I am not sure I could pull off a 'local' accent but I can disguise myself, if it would help. she says wondering how much of her 'modesty' would be covered if she were to change out of her dress in the cab.

The comment about Choker sets her to worrying again. "About Choker, I know this is going to sound .. well fanciful to say the least but it has been bothering me for some time and I feel I have to say something now." Nellie draws a big breath and prepares to make a fool of herself.

"Jonathan was scaling the walls to confront the man that pushed the gargoyle, McPherson as we now know, I rushed after Choker across the courtyard.. the 'Great Court' he fled the courtyard through a door and I followed seconds later.. and, well he had disappeared. He could only have gone out through the main doors or upwards via a staircase, there were no footsteps on the stairs, so I went into the street via the main doors. There was no one on the street! I made my way up the stairs eventually getting out onto the roof, at this point I was pursued by the Porter but neither he nor I saw Choker on the ascent. So he could be anywhere..."

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:47 am
by jaysun81

Jonathan clears his throat and says, "Regardless of where Choker is at the moment we must be cautious." Pointing his pipe at Alf he continues, "Is it wise to have him wait about for us? I realize the road is dangerous and so we don't want to travel back on foot, but if Choker returns and see's the cab while we're investigating his home it most certainly will mean more trouble than we want at this time."

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's not as outlandish as you might think," says Rachel. "There was a scientist named Griffin who was working on an invisibility serum. Wells wrote about him. However, there are still issues with it. One of the side effects was madness, which might fit with Choker. However, the serum was also said to be irreversible, so that anyone who used it could not become visible again. Still, if it can work in principle, perhaps it was done another way, such as using an artifact unearthed in Central Asia. The power of invisibility would be just the thing for someone plotting to overthrow the Empire. We can't send the cab away, as we'll need it to get Edward Ponsonby out of here in a hurry. We don't know what condition he'll be in after his captivity, so we cannot count on him being able to walk. However, we could conceal the cab where it will be less obvious."

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:48 pm
by Priest
Alf Milsom, overhearing the debate, turns towards you, the darkness of the night revealing little beyond a darkened shape.
“I don’t know what you’re on about. Talk of invisible people, of this Choker fellow comin’ and goin’ without notice. But if you want me to hang around there is a lane a mile back in which it should be possible to wait wivout being seen from the road”

Even as you watch you can see by the occasional blocking of light in the windows of the buildings left, as you view it, that any room there is currently occupied. However at the right, again as you view it, the windows stay permanently dark as if any room situated there would be unoccupied.

From a quick study you imagine that the darkness in conjunction with the overgrown nature of the grounds would permit an easy approach to that darkened window. However, if you would prefer investigation of the outbuildings that are situated to the side of the lighted windows, you run the risk of a casual observer noticing you.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that will do nicely, Mr. Milsom," says Rachel, nodding. "The rest of us should approach from the darkened side of the house, gain entry, and locate the cellar as quickly as possible. That's where Edward Ponsonby is being imprisoned. If there's anything else we need to be concerned with in the house, hopefully he can tell us, but it's imperative that we rescue him first."

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:57 pm
by carnage_lee

"The entrance cellar can probably be found in or near the kitchen, which is probably at the rear of the house. That's where we should try to gain entrance." Nellie starts to move forwards, keeping out of the light.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel nods, not wishing to make any further sound from this point forward. She too creeps closer to the house, approaching from the darkened side with the grace and stealth of a cat. Invisibility, the old fashioned way, she thinks.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:40 pm
by Priest
Within moments, using the darkness to mask your approach, you have negotiated the neglected garden to the front of the house.

Taking care to avoid any stray light from your left you find that in front of you the building juts forward, Dark windows provide a limited view of an interior. Before you lies, from the furnishings, some form of games room. You see what is most likely a billiards table its bulk an enormous shadow.

The room appears empty and unlighted. Further to your left are a pair of enormous oak doors, festooned with brass adornments and an ubiquitous bell pull.
To your right beyond the extended frontage, partialy hidden by the huge shadow of an unkempt bush, you note a small path that leads to the rear of the house.

So far you have heard nothing to give you any thought that your stealthy approach had been noticed. Other than the occasional sounds of raised voices from the left front of the house. The building seems as quiet as it does dark...

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:36 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel gestures silently to the path leading behind the house and begins to sneak along it. She's in her element here, with both the mission itself and this particular part of it squarely in her area of expertise.

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:29 pm
by Priest
Displaying the stealth expected from a servant of the Empire, Rachel turns the corner of the house, carefully avoiding the overgrown bush.

Ahead of her some five feet along the wall is a large window as dark as those to the front, and indeed a quick glance inside reveals the interior of the games room.

Above you several, equally darkened windows hint at the second floor. While ahead of you at the corner to the buildings rear a pile of boxes, barrels and sacks provide an obstacle to your progress...
OOC:   I am assuming that Rachel has turned the corner of the building on her own, while Nelly waits at the buildings corner. If anyone wishes to accompany Rachel down the small path to the rear of the house let me know.  

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:17 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel beckons for Nellie to come forward with the others once she sees that the coast is clear. She uses the pile for cover while she waits for them to catch up to her.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:06 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie carefully follows Rachel, turning the corner and coming to a stop by the pile of boxes and barrels.

"Do we try the back-door, or this window?"Nellie asks in a whisper whilst wondering if having some sort of commotion out at the front of the house would provide enough of a distraction to enable them to successfully gain entrance to Choker's house without alerting the people inside. "How many people do you think are inside?" she asks in the same whisper.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:31 pm
by Priest
Nelly -
The window is closer to the front end of the building than the pile of boxes and stuff. That is closer to the corner that leads to the rear

OOC:   What are Jonathan and Peter doing? I assume they have followed to the front corner of the building where the bush partialy conceals the path.  

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's try the window to the games room," whispers Rachel back. "I can't see the back door, and it's probably on the other side of that pile. I've no idea how many are in there, but I'd wager it's fully staffed by servants. Fortunately, they're all on the far side of the house." She examines the window to see if there's an alarm or other nasty surprise, and to check if it's locked.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:50 am
by Priest
Rachel (6 SP) and Nelly (6 SP) at the window to the games room -

Subjecting the window to your skilled examination (Easy Perception, so no roll necessary) you quickly see that it is locked, but a simple affair easilly opened.

The window, a sash in desperate need of repair and decoration, can be raised on its cords allowing ease of access to the room beyond. It does make a small amount of noise as it rises but not enough to cause undue alarm.

The room although dark has enough light for you to easilly see its contents of a large billiards table, several smaller round tables, you imagine them to be card tables, a large cabinet against the wall to your right, as you look in the window, stands equal distance between a pair of doors, both closed.

Directly opposite you another window shows a glimmer of light some way off, you imagine this window provides a view of the front towards the front door. A pair of further windows look out onto the front garden, and the distant road.

Other than the dark shapes of the furniture the room seems to be devoid of occupants, however a trace of cigar smoke in the air of the room hints at earlier occupantion...

Peter (6 SP) and Jonathan (4 SP) at the corner of the house -

?

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:29 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie ponders Rachel's words, "Would there be servants? If Choker is one of the ring-leaders would he risk being betrayed by one of his staff? After all if he has Edward 'locked' up it would be hard to hide that fact from the rest of the household... and if he had servants why would he need to employ McPhearson?" Nellie says in response, realising that the only way to know for sure is to venture inside.

"Well, we can definitely get into the house this way and someone maybe more than one has been in here recently what if they come back?" Nellie grins in the darkness, "Oh blow it.. I'll give you a 'leg up', we don't have time to procrastinate..." she says, offering to help Rachel up and over the windowsill.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Choker would no doubt have vouchsafed the loyalty of his servants," whispers Rachel as she accepts the boost and climbs in the window. "They'd also likely be afraid of him. I can't imagine him running a house this size without any staff. He may have guests as well, perhaps his fellow conspirators. Let's listen at the doors before we proceed from this room." She helps Nellie climb through the window from the inside.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:23 am
by jaysun81

Jonathan followed the women to the window. Once they're safely inside he pulls himself in. He silently nods at Rachel's suggestion of listening at the doors before saying, "Let's hope we find Edward in good health."

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:16 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Ohhh.. umm... how wide is this window? Will Roxy fit through?  

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:12 pm
by Priest

Rachel, Nelly and Jonathan in the games room -
There are two doors with the cabinet placed between them. For our purposes we shall say they are in the north wall.

Listening at either door will reveal nothing, the panneled doors, thick for interior doors, serve to muffle any sound elsewhere in the house. However the lack of illumination around the frames would seem to indicate that whatever lies behind them is unoccupied.

OOC:   Yes Nelly the window is wide enough for even Lord Roxborough's manly girth. However due to lack of input by Papa G it might be best to leave him ouside on watch so to speak.  

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:44 pm
by carnage_lee

"No sign of life behind these doors, we should try this one..." Nellie moves over to and reaches out to the handle of the door that's to the left of the cabinet. Holding her breath she slowly turns the handle.
OOC:   Would it be a good idea to see if the doors have keys (I presume they'd have locks) on the other side of each door (I would expect) - we can lock the doors to the games-room if Roxy gets inside, that way we should have a 'protected' exit?  

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"We may want to look in the cabinet before we leave the room as long as we're here," whispers Rachel.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:53 am
by jaysun81

Jonathan looks at the cabinets and says, "Excellent idea." He moves over to one of them to peek inside.
OOC:   I'm in the process of moving. My wife and I just bought a house. So I may be hit or miss for two weeks or so while I wait for the internet to be hooked up at my new place, I'll have sporadic internet access until then. So, if I'm silent I haven't quit... just temporarily net-less. My apologies for any issues this may cause.  

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:17 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   So, while the others are looking in the cabinet Nellie will try to open the door (carefully, with a mind to any creaking hinges) and if it opens see if the coast is clear - if the door is locked then she'll try the other one.  

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:25 pm
by Priest
Jonathan (4SP) searching the cabinet –

Investigating the cabinets reveals them to contain little more that gaming items, spare balls for the table, packs of playing cards, ivory poker chips etc.
The glass fronted top of the cabinet contains several bottles of spirit and glasses of different sizes.
A central drawer contains pads of paper and several pencils as well as two ornate keys which seem to be of the type that might fit the door locks of interior door such as those to either side of the cabinet.

Don’t panic Jonathan can keep a silent precense if anything happens and he needs to act we’ll deal with that then.

Nelly (6SP) at the left hand door –

The door opens easilly its hinges obviously kept well maintained. Beyond you can see another room dark except for a small line of light that comes from beneath another door on the wall to your left (West). Not enough to cause concern, but enough to reveal the precense of light somewhere beyond.

Shadowed shapes would suggest that this room is a dining room. You can make out a long table facing north and south with ten chairs placed around. Several other chairs are placed in various positions along the walls of the room for use if needed.

You can see several large pieces of furniture which you suppose are cabinets, sideboards, smaller tables etc.

There seems to be another door in the right hand wall (east) close to the corner with the north wall, no light can be seen around the frame. In the same corner you can see the shape of a large plant.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel grins and takes the keys, then quietly closes the cabinet to leave no obvious sign that someone has been here. "These may be for the doors in this room," she whispers. "If so, we can lock them after we leave and secure our egress. We'll want to check the other door first, of course." She examines the keys to see if they are identical or if they open different locks than each other.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:35 am
by Priest
Rachel - Close examnation seems to show there is no discernable diferences between the keys.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"These keys appear to be identical," whispers Rachel, keeping one for herself and holding the other out for whoever wants it. "Maybe they work on all the doors in this house. They'll unlock them faster than I can without them if that's the case."

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:41 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Which direction is the rear of the house in?  

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:52 pm
by Priest
carnage_lee wrote:
OOC:   Which direction is the rear of the house in?  
OOC:   The house faces south, so the rear is north  

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:03 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie gently closes the door but leaves it ajar, seeing the key offered by Rachel she shrugs and inclines her head indicating that Jonthan should take it.

"Through there is the dining room.." she whispers and "ought to lead us back to the kitchen, which is where I would start to look for access to the cellar."

"Did you try the other door?" she asks.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:31 pm
by Priest
(Posting on behalf of jaysun81)

In answer to Nellie's query, Jonathan nods, "Yes, it seems the other door leads to a passage heading north. It seems there is a door near the end in the west wall and one at the far end. As far as I could tell the first door (west) looks dark, displaying no light source, while the other (north) appears to show light beneath"

For a second he sucks thoughtfully on his pipe, "Can't be certain, but I think I heard dull sounds coming from behind it"

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Best we avoid it then," whispers Rachel, handing the spare key to Jonathan. "We should lock that door, then go to the dining room and lock the door behind us before we proceed to the kitchen."

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:36 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   While we're inside can Roxie go and look at the 'out-buildings'? I don't mind running him for a bit.  

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:55 am
by carnage_lee

"But if we lock the doors won't it just alert Choker or his conspirator's that someone is in the house? And they are sure to have keys too, they can simply unlock a door, I rather think we should just proceed with all due caution."
OOC:   Either way let's head towards the kitchen and start our rescue in earnest.  

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 am
by Priest
(Posting on behalf of jaysun81)

Jonathan nods at Nellies suggestion, "I concour and would add that whilst I heard noises from behind the far door, I do not think them threatening more the sound of pots and pans." He gently opens the door to the corridor once more, halting in mid action to whisper, "I do beleive that this way leads to the kitchen, ladies"
carnage_lee wrote:
OOC:   While we're inside can Roxie go and look at the 'out-buildings'? I don't mind running him for a bit.  
OOC:   I do not think PapaG is returning so yes you may run Roxborough if you choose while I advertise for another player. At the moment Roxborough is inside the games room at the window through which you entered. The outbuildings are to the east rear of the building. To access them he will have to carry on down the small path, squeeze beyond the pile of boxes etc to gain access to the buildings rear. For him to do so will need a Stealth check ((DF2). Roxborough currently has 6 SP.  

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:25 am
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh looks on as his fellow investigators enter deeper into the house. Feeling rather left out of things he mulls over the idea of joining them but decides to pursue another course and making sure the others are on their way turns and carefully steps down the small path pausing at the pile of detritus that partially blocks the access to the rear of Choker's house. In the gloom he can make out the outlines of the outbuildings, "Now those look worth investigating.." he thinks to himself and carefully picks his way through the crates and boxes that block the path.
OOC:   Roxy's Stealth is 5 so taking t he average is sufficient to navigate his way pas the rubbish?  

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:10 pm
by Priest
Roxborough (6SP) outside the building -

As Roxborough pulls in his stomach and carfully negotiates the pile of boxes and other rubbish, it seems that he has stepped onto something wooden. Something that has a hollow sound as if covering a hole. With consumate care for such a large man, but displaying the skill for which he is famed as a hunter throughout the Empire, he bends to uncover a wooden trap door cover closed and bolted. It seems to him that the boxes have been piled here to cover said trapdoor,

Taking care to make as little noise as possible he slides back the bolt and lifts the trapdoor on suprisingly well oiled hinges to reveal a flight of stone teps descending into darkness...

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're right," whispers Rachel. "We should head for the kitchen, then. If there's someone in there, Nellie's maid disguise might deceive whoever it is. Then she could try to send them away on some pretext if necessary so we can gain access to the cellar and get Mr. Ponsonby out, while we hide so anyone emerging doesn't see us. If that doesn't work, we'll have to move in and keep the kitchen staff silent."

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:51 am
by Priest
(Posted on behalf of jaysun81)

Jonathan nods and gently opening the door fully begins creeping towards the far door. From beneath a small amount of yellow light spills, its gentle flicker hints at candles as opposed to gas light. No sound can be heard coming from beyond the closed door, so it can be assumed that whoever was rattling pots and pans has left the room, or stopped working.

As he nears the second door, that set in the west wall, he pauses and listens before beckoning you forward, "Wherever that door leads there is no sound of life beyond" he whispers. Carefully he opens the door to reveal the dining room, this then is the door you had seen in the north east corner of the dining room.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's proceed to the kitchen," whispers Rachel. "Whoever was inside seems to have left."

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:03 pm
by carnage_lee

"Well, well, well...." Roxburgh mutters softly, with a slight pause he starts down the steps, carefully and slowly in deference to the darkness.
OOC:   woud Roxy have means to make a light? matches? torch?  

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:45 pm
by Priest
Roxborough (6 SP) -

From a vest pocket Roxborough produces a silver vesta case, opens it and takes a match which he lights. By its limited light he sees that the narrow flight of stone steps, worn with use and slick with age, lead down to the west and end at a closed wooden door.

No light can be seen from around its frame and no sound can be heard beyond. It is fastened by a simple raised latch affair and has no evidence of lock or bolt on this side.

Rachel (6 SP), Nelly (6 SP), and Jonathan (4 SP) in the corridor -

With care and keeping a silent step you approach the door behind which you hope to find a kitchen. Soft light flickers at it base and no sound can be heard within.
(Whoever is in front and wishes to open the door please roll Stealth (DF 3) remember the more successes the better)

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel takes the lead, opening the door carefully a crack and peeking through.
OOC,I have 6 Stealth, and I think the risk of rolling and getting two or less isn't worth the potential benefit of rolling four or more. It's safest to take the average and get three successes guaranteed, but I'll spend two Style points to get a fourth success. That is, if [b]Nellie[/b] can't assist me in this situation. If she can, she can give me the +2 because she has Stealth of at least 4.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:24 am
by Priest
Rachel (4 SP) opening the kitchen door -

Using the utmost care you turn the doorknob at glacial speed, opening the door just enough to allow you a glimpse of the room.

The limited view reveals, as you had expected, a kitchen. You can see, in the flickering candlelight the usual fittings one would expect. Directly to your front (north) you can see a sink (fixed to the east wall), its basin filled with dishes of various size. Also in the north wall you can see a door, which from size and shape you assume to be the back door, alongside and to its left a shuttered window.

The view to your left is obscured by several racks of shelves, but beyond in what you assume to be the south-west corner of the room, you can see and feel, the glow of a large fire. And further along the west wall (towards the north) you can see another partially closed internal door.

That this room is occupied you can tell by the low snoring coming from the fires direction. It would seem to be the snoring of two unknown persons...

As this is a task that can only be done by a single character, Nelly cannot assist. However as you spent 2 Style Points you get 2 extra successes which gives you a Complete Success +2 you opened the door silently without alerting any occupier. (2 Style points only get 1 modifier if spent in support of a Talent)

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:12 pm
by Mr. Handy

Rachel holds up two fingers, then clasps her hands together, leans her head against them, and shuts her eyes briefly as if asleep.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:48 am
by carnage_lee

Taking in al the details in the flickering yellow light of the match Roxburgh carefully descends before the match burns too low. "The door is bound to be locked from the other side..." he thinks as he reaches out to the door and lifts the latch as carefully as possible.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:55 am
by carnage_lee

Nelli watches on as Rachel silently opens the door. She nods at Rachel as she pantomimes people asleep and indeed she can now hear the snoring emanating from within. They've come this far, they need to get into the room and try not to awaken the occupants, probably the cook and maid, if that were true then should they not prove stealthy enough they ought to be able to subdue Choker's servants and stop them from raising the alarm.

Nellie makes a walking motion with her fingers, they have to keep moving...

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:21 pm
by Priest
Roxborough (6 SP) at door in stairwell –

The door opens easily revealing a room which by the rapidly diming light of your match appears to be a store room. As the match extinguishes you catch sight of what may be another set of steps leading upwards.

Striking another match confirms this and shows that you have emerged almost in the north east corner of the room and that the other steps seem to be about fifteen feet from you in the northern wall. As you had briefly noted this room seems to be a store room, it contains many shelves filled with various commodities, such as foodstuffs and other sundries, and many sacks, boxes and barrels are carefully placed around the room. The room is silent, the only noise seems a low intermittent rumbling that seems to originate somewhere above the other stairs

Immediately to your left in the east wall there is another closed door from what you can see of the lock it looks a complicated bolt system.

Rachel (4 SP), Nelly (6 SP) and Jonathan (4 SP) at the entrance to the kitchen –

With the door opened further more of the room is open to view. The kitchen, for indeed it is, looks functional if somewhat distressed. The sink is filled with dishes of varying size awaiting cleaning. It seems that the kitchen has seen recent use, as a large plate still contains a sizable piece of meat upon a badly scarred table top. Other than the two doors no other access point seems apparent,

Cautiously looking towards the fire you can see the source of the snoring. In a wing-back chair pulled to face the fire, her feet resting on a stuffed pouf, a large unkempt woman snores animatedly. Beside her equally lost in sleep, lies an enormous hound.

Fortunately neither seems aware of you as you creep into the kitchen

Please make stealth rolls, as an opposed roll all successes count and will be compared to the perception rolls of the occupant, so as always the more successes the better.

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:04 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie steps into the kitchen almost on tip-toes; anxious not to wake the sleepers. She stops suddenly, aware that one set of snores doesn't sound quite right, then she hears a whimper... a dog! Not just a dog... a huge hound...
Nellie Stealth:5 +2 Style Pts,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:14 pm
by carnage_lee

Striking another match Roxburgh steps towards the shelves ignoring the barred door and the other step of stairs that presumably lead into the house, "Let's have a quick look, might be a lamp or candles... or some delicious cured ham..." he thinks; peering closer at the shelving in the flickering yellow light of the match.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel tries to be quiet as she creeps into the kitchen, but she makes more noise than she would wish.
OOC,Maybe [b]Jonathan[/b] should wait outside the kitchen, seeing as he has no Stealth skill and, with only Dexterity 2, would get no dice to start. Stealth 6 + 1 Style Point = 7 dice: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:35 pm
by Priest
Rachel (2SP), Nelly (4SP) in the kitchen and Jonathan (4SP) outside the kitchen door -

Both intrepid females creep into the kitchen trying their best not to disturb the sleepers. All seems to be going swimmingly until Rachel's foot taps a discarded empty beer bottle. For a heartstopping moment both females freeze, expecting imminent disaster. However other than the large dog stretching its front legs, the sleepers snore on. It would seem that luck smiles on you tonight.

Just outside the door Jonathan watches in horrified silence aware that at any moment the hound or the woman could awake...
Gripper the hound,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/429728]Sleeping dog perception 3[/url]: [u]3#1d6[/u] [b]1[/b] [b]4[/b] [b]2[/b]
Roxborough (6SP) in a store room -

By the light of your fourth match you find a small carboard box marked candles. Originally it had contained six but there are only two remaining.
Each taper candle burns for eight hours.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy
[Image

Rachel mentally sighs with relief, not daring to actually exhale. She makes her way to the interior door, more carefully this time.
OOC,What happened to my other Style point? I should have three left.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:39 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Does Jonathan have any Stealth? If he enters the room does that set off another test?  

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:54 am
by carnage_lee

Nellie keeps a wary eye on the sleeping figures, hale convinced that one or both will wake at ant moment but they're committed to the rescue and there's no turning back. The hound worries her, if it were to wake it would probably start barking, well she hoped that's what all it would do... in the half gloom of the flickering firelight it looked as large as a pony. "Aha... that will do the trick..." she thinks too herself eyes resting on the slab of meat, that would be a good distraction if the worst happened.

Altering course Nellie crosses to where the remains of the joint of meat rest and carefully picks it up from the plate, now should the hound waken she had the means to distract it.

Meanwhile...

Moderately pleased with his find, he quickly sets about lighting three candles and sets them where they can cast their yellow light to illuminate as much as possible of the cellar. Casting a hopeful look around the shelves, his mind pictures a huge hunk of ripe cheddar before taking one candle and approaching the locked and barred door "This could be where Ponsonby is being held". he thinks. He stops, did he hear some scuffling coming from the room above? After a few moments he fails to hear any other noises and continues to inspect the bolts securing the door.
OOC:   So, Nellie will cover Rachel's back and Roxy will inspect the locked door, might it be trapped or alarmed in some way?  

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:30 pm
by Priest
OOC:   Jonathan will stay in the hall, he is only too aware that a misplaced footstep or an unlucky noise could bring disaster upon you.
Sorry Mr H, I will make amends when I update later  

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:55 pm
by Priest
Rachel (3SP) and Nelly (4SP) in the kitchen –

The sleepers sleep on unaware of the presence of the two women. With a little more care than earlier Rachel picks her way to the partially open door. By the limited light of the kitchen she can see that the door opens into what appears to be a fairly well stocked pantry. Directly opposite the door is another door, with interior bolts open. Further along the west wall to the south, another interior panelled door stands closed.

From beneath the closed door opposite she can see an occasional flickering light. The other door spills much more light as if beyond lies a well lit area.

Meanwhile Nelly has gently and noiselessly made her way over to the table on which rests the remains of a rather large joint of beef. Carefully, ensuring that her movements do not wake the woman, or more importantly the sleeping hound, she lifts the still warm joint.

Jonathan (4SP) at the kitchen door –

Hardly daring to breathe, Jonathan watches as Rachel and Nelly creep into the kitchen. For a moment his blood runs ice cold as Rachel taps a discarded bottle with her foot, yet it seems that the sharp tinkle, although loud to his ears, fails to disturb woman or hound.

Still staying put, he watches as Rachel heads for the partially ajar door whilst Nelly, for some reason, picks her way over to the remains of a previous meal. As he watches his hand strays to the hilt of his heavy bladed hunting knife...

Roxborough (6SP) in a storeroom -

By dint of the candle light you investigate the door. There is something about the configuration of the locking mechanism that reminds you of the door to the cold room of ‘La Belle Chance’ one of Paris’s most famous restaurants, and the very establishment from which you had poached Henri your personal chef.

The door opens towards you. From behind you can hear no noise and the door feels cool to your touch.

As you look at the door something further along the east wall towards the south corner catches your attention...

Please make a Perception Check (df 3). You may, of course, spend Style Points.
OOC:   Everyone: Please do not forget that you have various weapons on your persons, (Nothing bigger than a pistol or knife)  

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:11 pm
by Mr. Handy
[Image

Rachel sneaks over to the west door, sticking to the shadows, and listens carefully at it.

Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:39 pm
by carnage_lee
Priest wrote: Please make a Perception Check (df 3). You may, of course, spend Style Points.
OOC:   Peter Roxborough

I'll add a style point to bring Perception to 6 and take the average which gives 3 successes.  

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:46 am
by jaysun81

Jonathan stands there observing the women's movements through the room as he chews on the end of his pipe, which due to their precarious position he let burn out. He offers a quick prayer to any god that may be listening and gripping his knife he continues to stand ready to intervene if circumstances necessitate.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:37 pm
by Priest
Rachel (3SP) in the pantry –

Although both doors are in the west wall, the one furthest to the south seems lead to an occupied room. Holding her breath and listening, Rachel, is certain that she can hear sounds some distance beyond the door, voices perhaps.
The more northerly of the two doors, that which was directly opposite the door to the kitchen, shows little sign of occupation. It feels cold to the touch and were it not for the odd furtive noise or flicker of candlelight would seem to be nothing more than another storeroom or cupboard. Yet you wonder if mice here come with candles.
Behind, in the kitchen, the uninterrupted snoring shows that the occupants are as yet undisturbed

Nelly (4SP) and Jonathan (4SP) in the kitchen and hall respectively –

Awaiting developments.

Roxborough (6SP) in a storeroom –

While studying the door, you notice something odd on the floor some five feet along (South) from the door. It looks like the kind of marks that a tight fitting door might leave on the packed dirt floor when pulled open. Yet there is no corresponding door, merely empty shelving...

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:18 pm
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh peers closer, his experience with tracking paying off with spotting this latest clue. Bringing the candle closer he can definitely make out scuff marks, recent ones at that. "Well that's interesting.." he thinks to himself as he straightens up and peers closer at the shelving "this might be like that secret door in Wellington's library, but it's the shelving that moves not part of a bookcase.." he reasons, smiling in remembrance of the night that Wellington revealed his secret archive at his offices, they'd had a fine evening of gourmet food and the best liquor and the normally dour detective was quite animated by the end of the night, insisting on hosting his friends for a 'night-cap'.

By the flickering candle light Roxburgh searches the section of shelving.. "There ought to be a hidden catch..." he reasons.

With mounting trepidation Nellie waits for Rachel to decide where to proceed next.

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:26 pm
by Priest
Roxborough (5SP) in a storeroom –

With questing fingers you search for a hidden catch, remembering that Wellington’s secret door mechanism was disguised as a book hidden amongst other books. However the shelves were empty, so wherever the catch was concealed it would take a delicate touch to find.

A few seconds of careful probing and you find a small, innocuous depression on the underside of one of the shelves. A gentle press and you are rewarded with a metallic sounding click similar to the release of a safety on a rifle, and a six foot high by three foot six wide section of shelving partially opens to a chorus of wails and pathetic screams which issue from the darkness beyond...
OOC:   I forgot to dock you a SP for your earlier check. Sorted now  

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel silently tries to open the opposite door, behind which she can see the flickering light.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:26 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:  
Priest wrote:Roxborough (5SP) in a storeroom –

With questing fingers you search for a hidden catch, remembering that Wellington’s secret door mechanism was disguised as a book hidden amongst other books. However the shelves were empty, so wherever the catch was concealed it would take a delicate touch to find.

A few seconds of careful probing and you find a small, innocuous depression on the underside of one of the shelves. A gentle press and you are rewarded with a metallic sounding click similar to the release of a safety on a rifle, and a six foot high by three foot six wide section of shelving partially opens to a chorus of wails and pathetic screams which issue from the darkness beyond...
Is that audible upstairs? Can anything od the uncovered space be made out in the candle-light?  

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:09 pm
by Priest
Rachel (3SP) in the pantry –

The door opens easily and silently to reveal a flight of wooden stairs that lead down into darkness. Yet not total darkness for the occasional flicker of yellow candlelight give reason for suspecting that someone moves below, the lack of noise seems to indicate that whoever it is takes great care to move with stealth.
Behind you, in the kitchen, the sleepers sleep on. But don’t forget your comrades Nellie and Jonathan who cannot see you and await some sign.

Roxborough (5SP) in a storeroom –

Please roll Courage diff 1, failure means –2 on any further rolls. Courage = Willpower x2 (pg28 CRB) for you this is a total of 6 so the roll should be a formality even if you don’t take the average.

The first thing you notice is the appalling stench of animal dung that wafts out through the opening from a hidden room beyond. In the limited light you can make out, set against the south wall of this room, a series of six cages similar to those you have seen and used on safari.

It seems that at least half of the cages are occupied. The glint of eyes reflect the light in the way only an animals eyes might do. Yet the shadows cast by the occupants seem strangely odd, almost unnatural in shape.

Your eyes reveal a grossly muscled dog, seemingly barely able to move anything other than its eyes which roll and beg continuously. There you make out a pair of sickly looking swans with feathers that seem to glow green in the semi darkness; while crouched in one of the larger cages a monstrous looking ape, long coiled wires protruding from its shaven head, glares malevolently, yet intelligently, towards you; hammers at the bars of his confining cage; all the while opening and closing its fang filled maw in a silent scream...

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel moves back to where Nellie can see her and motions for her to join her.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:10 pm
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh is momentarily taken aback by the dreadful foetid stench and the terrible wailing that assail him as the shelving swings clear and takes a half step back as the meagre light of the candle exposes the creatures that are locked in the cages. The sight sickens him, obviously Roxburgh is a hunter of some renown but the suffering of animals is something that he holds no truck with. Choker and his cohorts must be involved in some form of experimentation and the concepts that were in Fyodorov pamphlet are brought to mind. "What on earth is going on here?" he thinks as he takes a step forward, pulling out his handkerchief and using that to cover his nose and mouth to attempt to ward off the miasma.

Taking care to keep away from the bars and out-of-reach of any possible attack, well aware of the strength and reach that the gorilla would possess. He tries to make sure that young Ponsonby isn't imprisoned in the room as well.

OOC:   Taking the average on the Courage roll  

Nellie carefully creeps across the kitchen to stand by Rachel, seeing the flickering "Someone is in the cellar..." she whispers somewhat redundantly as Rachel would have made the obvious connection. Nellie mimes walking down the steps, then points to herself...

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel nods and moves aside to let Nellie go past her and down the stairs. With the maid disguise, she is more likely to fool whoever is down there - and if she doesn't, Rachel can slip down there quickly and help her.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:32 pm
by Priest
Roxborough (5SP) in a cage lined room –

Keeping close to the northern wall of the room you are easily able to stay clear of the cages, though any progress in the room is accompanied by an increase in the piteous screams of the caged and malformed beasts. Even the ape seems to watch you in silence, its eyes filled with hatred and loathing yet seemingly bearing a hint of human intelligence.

Of a human there is no evidence, either your quarry has never been here or all evidence of his having been so has been removed.

In careful study of the wall opposite to your entrance (east) you are able to discern marks on the dirt floor similar to those you had found outside the hidden doorway. Although once more you are confronted by a seemingly solid wall those marks speak of another hidden entrance...

Rachel (3SP) and Nelly (4SP) in the pantry –

Despite causing the large hound to whimper in its sleep as if aware of another presence, Nelly soon finds herself at the door to the staircase. With the approval of Rachel she slowly, and silently, opens the door fully and begins a careful descent towards where she can see a tiny flicker of light. As she descends the light becomes almost extinguished, she halts aware of a sudden blast of fetid air filled with the aroma of unkempt animals and a sudden wave of animalistic screams from somewhere beyond the bottom of the staircase.

At the door, Rachel is suddenly assailed by both smell and noise. Behind her the snoring halts and is replaced by a sudden snort of an awakening person and a soft growl from a large hound...

Jonathan (4SP) in the corridor outside the kitchen –

You had watched in ice cold anticipation as Nelly had made her way into the room in which Rachel had disappeared. Moments later you had become suddenly aware of a cacophony of animal noises seemingly coming from that room. The effect of the noise was electric. You heard, rather than saw, the abrupt awakening of both sleeping woman and hound. Risking a quick glance around the door frame you could see a large, heavily built woman pull herself up from a fireside chair and beside her a large hound, a Mastiff possibly, had risen to all fours and was growling menacingly in the direction the ladies had taken...
OOC:   Please do not forget that some of you have access to weapons should you need them  

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel slips back to the kitchen door and tries to quietly close it from inside the pantry before the woman is aware that it is open. The dog may still detect it, but it won't open it without her help, and she can always follow Nellie down the stairs, closing the other door behind her. She slips on her brass knuckles, just in case she needs to deliver a swift knockout blow.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:45 am
by jaysun81

As cold sweat runs down his brow Jonathan mind runs a multitude of scenarios. In the end - despite the dread he is beginning to feel - he chooses to continue to wait, hoping that the woman will simply tell the dog to knock it off and then doze back off.

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:13 pm
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh pauses, his intrusion into the room has raised another fresh round of pitiful cries, one of the sickly glowing swans rouses itself and emits an alarming hissing as it attempts to pecks at his trouser leg through the bars of its cage. Alarmed Roxburgh steps away, the swan looks decidedly 'sickly' and his immediate reaction is to get clear of its snapping beak. His hasty retreat takes him further into the dank room, in the flickering light of the candle some suspicious marks on the floor draw his attention.

Keeping well clear of the ape, which continues to follow Roxburgh with its beady red-tinged eyes, fangs gleaming as it continually opens and closes its mouth, Roxburgh stoops to examine the marks, using the toe of his boot to move the dung stained straw that has been strewn across the floor.

"Seems there is another 'secret' entrance here.' he thinks and sets about making a thorough examination of the wall.
OOC:  
Perception: 5,[dice]0[/dice]
Not wanting to make a fuss... but what's making the 'wailing and screaming'? the dog? Swans are 'mute', well they hiss a lot, and the Ape isn't making a sound .  

The animal like wailing takes Nellie by surprise and quite makes her jump, leading her to flail about for a brief moment as she regains her balance on the steep wooden steps and she rushes down them almost crashing into the door at the bottom.

She notices that there is some flickering light from under the doorway, she presses her hear up against the rough wood of the door and attempts to listen for any activity in the cellar beyond...
OOC:  
Perception:8,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:14 pm
by Priest
Roxborough (5SP) in the room of cages –

Following a scientific examination of the wall (feeling for a trigger device) Roxborough’s efforts are rewarded by a soft click, similar to that of the previous hidden catch. With ease, no doubt on well-oiled hinges, a section of the wall swings open revealing in the sputtering candlelight another dark room (40x40ft approx.).

From a fast observation this room looks like a partial operating theatre combined with some sort of laboratory. Even in the limited light Roxborough’s eyes fall on shelves of glass specimen jars filled with liquid and containing various parts of animals. To the centre of this room a long metal table is covered in straps and other restraining devices. Next to this can be seen a large shiny trolley its top sporting a large glass jar with what looks like a partial human face floating within.

Even with the amount of things within this room to catch your eye you can see the familiar shape of two doors further (north) up the west wall from you and another in the east wall (north/east corner) which although deep in shadow appears closed...

Ooc: Sorry I should have made the contents of the cages clearer. There are other animals caged in this room and it is from them that most of the noises issue. The ones I described were just for colour.

Nelly (4SP) on the stairs –

From beneath the door you see a dim light which seems to fade and disappear as you watch. Listening reveals nothing as the noises of the animals mask any other sound behind the door.
The door is of rougher design than those you have encountered so far. It opens away from you by means of a simple latch.

Rachel (3SP) at the pantry/kitchen door –

With quick thinking and speedy action Rachel closes the door to the kitchen, making certain that it makes no noise to further alarm the hound. As it closes you hear a gruff female voice,
“What is it Nero? What ails you?”
Even as the female speaks you hear a snuffling at the door and a low, menacing growl...

Jonathan (4SP) in the corridor –

Standing perfectly still and holding your breath for fear it might betray your presence, you wait aware of movement from within the kitchen. The squeak and groan of furniture relieved of a heavy weight, and the pad of heavy canine footsteps. To you relief the hound seems to be moving away from you towards the door through which Rachel and Nelly had previously departed. You can hear the snuffling and growling of the dog and a woman’s voice,
“What is it Nero? What ails you?”

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel slinks across the pantry and through the door to the stairs, shutting it silently behind her and leaving no trace of her passage. With luck, the cook will just the think the dog is hungry, and if she were to open the door from the kitchen, nothing would appear amiss.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:47 pm
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh studies the room, then with some macabre fascination moves over towards the metal table that dominates the centre of the room. 'Good grief these villains have been about their wretched work on people..." he thinks the very idea leaves him cold to the core and he has the dreadful suspicion that the face might belong to Ponsonby. With slow soft steps he makes his way toward the trolley and studies the floating 'face' holding his candle higher to get a better view, the flickering light along with the weird refraction makes the grizzly object appear elongated and slightly blurry...
OOC:   Perception roll, to make out the features?
Perception: 5
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:29 pm
by Priest
Roxborough (5SP) in what appears to be a laboratory –

“Deuced nasty that” exclaims Roxborough as he studies the partial human face that floats suspended in some clear liquid within the large bell shaped specimen jar. Several cables can be traced from a nearby power source to copper plates connected to the outside of the jar. It looks for all the world as if the liquid, and its contents, have been subjected to large amounts of electrical power. Looking harder at the face within, he notes that it has certain oddities, as if rather than a real human face it appears more of a composition, more the work of a police sketch artist than of nature. Yet for all that it looks real, almost alive, at one point he could swear that the thing winked at him...

With a growing sense of unease tempered as it is by doubt that he is looking at the face of the missing Ponsonby, he looks around. That some forms of vile experimentation have occurred within the confines of this room are made obvious by the many parts of animal that also float suspended by some liquid in other jars. His knowledgeable eye notes parts of various animal kind both domestic and wild. Here a canine paw floats next to a rats head. There part of a horse looks out of place with wing of some exotic bird...

As he stares at the abominations a slight noise from the northermost of the two doors in the west wall catches his ear. It sounds like a chair being pulled across a rough floor...

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:51 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie hesitates, unsure of her next move, things are starting to get more 'exciting' the danger ramped up by the sudden awakening of the cook - who could at any moment decide to investigate the noises that emanated from the other side of the very door that Nellie was stating at. To go back would be to court almost certain discovery, forward was the only path open, with a shaking hand Nellie lifts the latch of the door and pushes it open.

Surprised to see that the room beyond is lit by two guttering candles their light playing over the shelves and boxes that indicate this is a storeroom, the cellar that they've been looking for! The smell of animal waste is stronger, the foul odours making her nose itch and eyes water. Stepping into the cellar and taking a quick look behind the open door, relieved that there's no adversary hidden there. Then Nellie notices that a section of shelves has been moved away from the wall, the flickering light can't penetrate the darkness beyond, not from where she's standing. So, taking up a candle she moves towards the ominous opening, 'A secret passage! And someone is up ahead..' she thinks.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:22 pm
by Priest
Nelly (4SP) in a candlelit storeroom –

Picking up the lighted candle noticing that it had not been lit that long by the small amount of wax at its base, Nelly presses forward towards the opening. As she does so the noises of animals grows louder, more animated as though the light draws their attention. 'A secret passage! And someone is up ahead..' she thinks, a thought which is subsequently confirmed by the single glow of candlelight from beyond the room containing the animal cages.

Trying her best Nelly listens for movement but the noise of the distraught animals defeats her, whatever is ahead remains, for the moment unknown...

Rachel (3SP) on the staircase –

By the time Rachel has entered the stairway and closed the door behind her, Nelly is gone. However an open doorway below, beyond which she sees candlelight would appear to reveal her location. Pausing momentarily to listen, without joy, for movement within the pantry, Rachel quietly yet quickly follows knowing that at any moment the door behind might open to unleash a hound upon her. As she moves her fingers tighten, reflexively, on the brass and iron knuckles that her dear husband, Edgar, had given her so long ago.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel takes her inability to hear anything through the door as a good sign. There's a chance the cook won't even go into the pantry, and it is unlikely she would actually venture down the stairs. Chances are she had heard the animal sounds before and would figure that's what had startled the dog. Rachel sneaks down the stairs, following Nellie, and makes for the open doorway to peek through it.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:38 pm
by Priest

With baited breath you hold still, aware of the slow movement of the woman towards the other door, For a moment you think that she will tell the hound, Nero, to quiet. Yet if that was her intent it would seem that the dog has its own ideas for as you listen you hear padding moving toward the very doorway outside of which you wait, With its approach you hear an increase in the snuffling sound as though the beast were smelling the air. With little more than a few feet separating it from where you stand, you hear it stop moving, cease snuffling and begin a low menacing growl as if in warning of imminent action...

Rachel (3SP) at the storeroom door –

Pressing on regardless, Rachel steps into the storeroom where it seems Nelly had preceded her. Shelving and boxes attest to the function of this room, and a slowly moving light indicates another exit ahead on her left from where it seems the animal smell and noise originates. As the light moves so the noise increases as if in reaction to the bearer. It can only be Nelly for she is but seconds ahead...

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:12 am
by jaysun81

Jonathan looks down the corridor, searching for the nearest door that he can slip into. Once located he begins to quietly move towards it.

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel continues, hoping to catch up with Nellie.

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:41 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   I feel a bit bad that Jonathan's become separated, especially as the ladies are catching up with Roxy.

We could have a bit of 'handwavium' where we agreed that if anyone in the house got split off from the others they'd make their way back to where we entered - that way I can engineer Roxy turning back, meeting up with the ladies then exiting the cellar via the external steps and fetching Jonathan.

Does that sound OK?  

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:50 am
by Priest
OOC:   As Lee says you would have made arrangements that in the case of losing contact with each other you would make your way back to the Games Room and await the others. Of course you may continue to explore alone if you wish.  

Things look dire for Jonathan as he feels the hound searching the air for any strange scent, and knows that should he be discovered then his chances of fighting off such a vicious looking beast with just a knife, is slight.

Thinking fast he spies the nearby door in the western wall, as yet unexplored. Moving with as much care as he can he crosses to the door and tries the handle, it is unlocked. Opening it he realises that this is the door that they had seen in the adjacent east wall of the dining room. In the nick of time he enters the dark room and closes the door behind him. A few moment after he hears the snuffling of the dog outside the door and from close by he hears the woman’s voice, “Quiet Nero! Stupid dog there’s no one there”

For the moment you are safe. There is the door you had opened earlier to the south which leads back into the games room and the window through which you entered the house, or there is another to the west which still lies unexplored.

Roxborough (5SP) in what appears to be a laboratory –

Even as you search amongst the vile experiments your attention is diverted by sounds. To your northwest the sound of a dragged chair comes from behind one of the closed doors, while behind you, the way you had just come, the flicker of candlelight and gentle, furtive steps almost masked by animal noise would seem to reveal the imminent arrival of company...

Nelly (4SP) and Rachel (3SP) amongst the caged animals –

Aware that whoever is carrying the candle has halted, Nelly stops. For a moment a strange silence falls over her, despite the continued noises from the distressed creatures. As she pauses to await further movement ahead, Rachel arrives...

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel nods to Nellie, then she silently inches forward to try to see who else is down here with a candle without being seen herself.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:56 am
by carnage_lee

Realising that someone is following in his footsteps Roxburgh hunkers down behind the metal table and snuffs the flame of his candle, returning the room to darkness. With his hand in his jacket pocket ready to pull his revolver he tries to make his considerable bulk smaller ...

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:10 am
by jaysun81

In an attempt to put as much distance between himself and the hound, Jonathan proceeds to the western door to see what lies beyond.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:34 pm
by carnage_lee

Eyes wide with both fear and revulsion at the sight of the unnaturally warped creatures Nellie slowly makes her way between the cages. The very idea that someone would stoop to such depravity so as to perform such perversions against 'Mother Nature' had unsettled Nellie, Choker and his cohorts had to be stopped, stopped and brought to account for their disgusting actions.

Without any warning the faintly flickering light coming from the next room is extinguished, leaving a dark void in the wall ...

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:48 pm
by Priest
Rachel (3SP) and Nelly (4SP) amongst the cages –

Creeping forward towards the opening Rachel halts abruptly as the candle within is suddenly snuffed out. In the few moments before she had seen a myriad of disquieting images, such horrors were displayed that she welcomed the darkness. Holding her breath in suspense she is aware that somewhere to her front someone lurks in the darkness in wait...

Nelly lets Rachel pass her towards that opening into another unknown room. No sooner has the other woman crept past than the light within is suddenly extinguished. At the edge of her own pool of light, she sees Rachel halt and crouch in response...

Roxborough (5SP) in what appears to be a laboratory-

As darkness floods the room in response to your extinguishing of the candle another candle light in where the cages are kept becomes immediately apparent. Indeed someone follows you close. As you crouch and slowly move your hand to your holster, you see a shadowy shape momentarily outlined in the doorway. The shape belies that of a female, and a slight hint of perfume drifts into your expanded nostrils. Probably undetectable to another who has not spent as much time hunting the big cats of Africa and Asia as you, there is something recognisable in that sweet French perfume. By thunder, you muse, It is Mrs Steele....

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:56 pm
by carnage_lee

Realising that it's one of his fellow investigators Rocburgh let's out a sigh of relief and moves his hand away from the grip of his pistol. He stands slowly "Mrs. Steele, it is I... Roxburgh, are you alone?" he says as loudly as he dare, head swivelling to take in the door from behind which he heard the noises of a chair being dragged across the floor.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:41 pm
by Priest
Jonathan (4SP) in the dining room –

With as much haste as caution allows Jonathan quickly moves across the room to the closed door. Realising it is as yet unexplored he gently turns the handle and opens it a mere fraction. Through the gap he can see that it leads into narrow room filled with an abundance of topcoats, hats and rubber boots. In the north west corner he can see a container filled with sticks of various lengths and thicknesses. The room appears to be some sort of cloakroom where articles of hunting attire might be stored. In the south wall is a window which allows limited light from outside and it is by this light that he is able to see the room’s contents. Directly opposite the door by which he stands is another door, closed a hint of illumination below shows that it leads into an area of occupation.
As he looks around, in search of further articles, he see a large cabinet fixed to the wall before him. Partially open it reveals the dull metal glint of a gun’s barrel resting within...

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

Rachel smiles, exhaling with relief when she sees who it is. "Nellie is with me too," she replies. "We had to leave Jonathan waiting for us, as he's not as stealthy. We crept in through the kitchen, where the cook and her hound were sleeping, and then the pantry, where we found stairs leading down here. The animal noises woke them up, but I shut the doors quietly. The cook doesn't know we're here, and the dog can't tell her, but they're awake, so it's best if we don't leave that way once we rescue Ponsonby. How did you find your way down here? However you did, that's our way out. We can just collect Jonathan from outside once we're done here."

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:35 am
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh re-lights his candle from the one Nellie is holding while Rachel explains their arrival. The news that Jonathan had become separated form the ladies was worrying, it would be the very pinnacle of irony if they were to rescue Ponsonby only to have Jonathan captured by the denizens of this 'evil household'. Still, Jonathan was a stout fellow well able to 'hold his own' and someone who was well used to relying on his own wits.

"I am sure Jonathan will be fine, if he cannot join us down here I feel sure that he will retire to the room in which you all entered and wait." he says, keeping his voice low, "I discovered that the pile of boxes behind the house covered a trap door... which lead me here... and just before the two of you arrived I heard someone beyond that door." he adds, then drawing his revolver he motions the others to follow and creeps up to the door in question.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:37 am
by Priest
Roxborough (5SP), Rachel (3SP) and Nelly (4SP) in what appears to be a laboratory –

Indeed, as you whisper a voice rises from behind the door. A cultured voice full of British education, “I say...who’s there?”

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Friends," replies Rachel, approaching the door from the side and examining it to see if it is locked. "Are you Edward Ponsonby?"

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:17 pm
by Priest
Roxborough (5SP), Rachel (3SP) and Nelly (4SP) in what appears to be a laboratory –

Upon examination the door seems heavily reinforced and secured by a stout lock. A small metal grill allows a limited view of the interior of what is best described as a nasty cell, easily the match of the worst Roxborough had encountered in the roughest parts of colonial Africa.

A well-educated voice, of a better class, filled with suspicion answers Rachel’s whispered query, “Yes, I am he...who are you another of Choker’s pets sent to annoy me?”

Assured that you are not, he subsides into thoughtful silence for a few moments, “Then you must make haste or the Empire is doomed. Quickly unlock this door we have little time”...

OOC: The lock will require a Larceny (Lockpicking) diff 2 to pick it or can be subjected to brute strenght if you are willing to risk the noise.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:55 pm
by carnage_lee

Nellie steps to one side, she has no knowledge of how to 'force the lock' on the door, but she can provide enough light for whomever is to try.

"What on earth do you mean by 'Choker's pets'?"/color] Nellie asks nervously, thinking about the wretched animals that are in the previous room.

Roxburgh gives the lock a speculative tug, "I suppose I could attempt to shoot the damned thing off but that would bring Choker and his cronies down on us 'toot sweet'." he says ruefully.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:59 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I shall make quick work of that lock, don't worry," says Rachel, brimming with confidence. She already has a hairpin in her hand and is fiddling with it in the lock. "We were sent by Her Majesty's Government to rescue you. We've discovered that Choker is plotting to overthrow the British Empire and that time is short, but we don't know the details of the plot. We have heard that they intend to use an artifact they found on an expedition to Inner Asia. Anything more you can tell us would help us thwart their scheme."
OOC,I have Larceny 6, so I'll take the average for three successes.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:46 pm
by Priest
Roxborough (5SP), Rachel (3SP) and Nelly (4SP) at a cell door –

It takes a few attempts to pick the lock, and at one stage Rachel hears the hairpin give an ominous click as if about to snap. However eventually the lock yields to her insistence and with a sharp click the door is opened. From within, eyes blinking in the candle-light, a young man bearing a striking if dishevelled likeness to the photograph of the missing Ponsonby steps forth. A cursorary glance at his place of imprisonment reveals the depravity to which he had been subjected. The small rooms only furnishings were a small uncomfortable looking bed with just a single threadbare blanket, a three legged stool that looked in desperate need of repair, and a filthy wooden bucket, no doubt for his ablutions.

Turning towards Rachel, he blinks against the sudden light, “There is a plot to assassinate the chancellor, Sir William Vernon Harcourt during the Apostle’s Dinner at the University. We must warn him lest the Empire is brought to war and destruction”

He steps forward and grasps Roxborough lapels, looking straight into his eyes, “Quickly, if you would save mankind from chaos, mindless war, and utter destruction we must make haste to the University”...

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Then we haven't a moment to lose," says Rachel. "We have a cab waiting nearby. Lord Peter, please lead the way out."

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:39 pm
by jaysun81

Jonathan approaches the cabinet and removes the firearm. He takes a moment to check if it's loaded, after which he quietly proceeds to the other door and proceeds to slowly turn the knob.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:57 am
by Priest
Jonathan (4SP) in the vestibule/cloakroom –

Checking the double-barrelled 12 bore shotgun, Jonathan finds it is unloaded, however near to it is a wax package of 12 shells. Pocketing 10 of these and loading two, making sure to keep the gun broken so as to avoid accidents, he moves to the door. With trembling fingers he turns the knob and cracks the door open to allow him view beyond.

Through the gap he sees a long panelled hall stretching from the front doors to the south to an ornate looking staircase in the north. The floor is tiled in a fairly standard black and white, checkerboard fashion. The high ceiling moulded and carved in the best tradition. Sparsely furnished, there is a small three seater settle, a couple of tall plants and a large wicker dog basket, currently unoccupied.

Other than the front doors there are two doors opposite you in the west wall and a further door in the east wall several feet to the north, all appear shut. There is no sign of human occupants in the area, though you can hear music coming from the southernmost door to the west, the quality of the music would seem to be that of a gramophone.

At this point the sound of a door opening and closing behind him, warns that someone has entered the dining room, probably through the same door as he had used to avoid the hound...

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

Once Edward has vacated the cell, Rachel shuts the door again. There is no time to relock it, but it might still delay Choker's people discovering that he is no longer there for some additional time.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:48 pm
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh leads the way back to the cellar, making sure to remind everyone to stay out of reach of the caged animals, pausing only to close the 'secret doors' as they pass.

"Righto, go that way I shall meet you at the top of the steps presently." he says, indicating the way that he had came into the cellar. "I shall be right behind you, I need to see to fastening the internal entrance."
OOC:   Roxy will find something to wedge the door (the one Rachel and Nellie came through) closed - and then retreat up the steps leading to the rear of the house.  

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel nods and leads the way silently up the stairs.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:04 am
by jaysun81

Hearing the sounds of the door behind him spurs Jonathan on. In an attempt to put some distance between him and who ever is behind him, he moves down the hallway, heading towards the lone door on the east wall.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:35 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Are we stuck?  

Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:22 pm
by carnage_lee
Jonathan - Ground floor of Fen House.

Before Jonathan can decide whether or not to enter the hall a loud, annoyed voice pipes up from the dining room "Oi, Is that you Bill, stop playing silly beggars.." the voice is loud and course, vaguely feminine. It's probably the woman that was asleep in the Kitchen, the cook, no doubt. Jonathan hears a low menacing growl followed by two loud barks, the dog 'Nero' seems to be aware that it's not Bill that is wandering about on the ground floor and the closed dining room door does little to muffle it's barking.

It can only be a matter of seconds till the cook and the hound open the door behind you!
Current location,Currently in 4 (Vestibule) - Someone else has entered 5 (Dining Room). [attachment=0]Fen-House-Ground-Floor-Map-001.png[/attachment]

Nellie/Roxburgh/Rachel/Ponsonby - Cellar of Fen House

Roxburgh steps back into the cellar intend on fastening the door that leads up to the Kitchen, to hinder any chance of being followed.

Rachel leads the way up the stone steps and out into the night air. After a few moments she calls down that the way is clear.

Ponsonby indicates that Nellie should go next, Nellie's not at all convinced of his chivalry but nimbly ascends to join her investigative colleague.

Ponsonby starts to climb the steps, something happens, he looses his footing as he almost gets to the top. His arms flail about as he tries to regain his balance but with a high-pitched shriek he tumbles backwards down the hard stone steps.

Nellie and Rachel hear two sharp barks coming from inside the house, the hound has woken up!

"Dammit the boy has knocked himself senseless." exclaims Roxburgh his voice coming up from the cellar below. A light appears at the first floor window directly above where Nellie and Rachel are standing.

(Nellie and Rachel are standing at 9 (Hidden Hatch) on the plan above (spoiler button).

Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Carry him up!" hisses Rachel as she tries her best to vanish into the shadows, out of view of the windows.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:49 pm
by carnage_lee
Nellie/Roxburgh/Rachel/Ponsonby - Cellar or Above Ground at Fen House

Nellie looks nervously up at the window, wondering if the light being lit was in response to the hound's barking. She follows Rachel and stands in the shadow of the house, still near to the trapdoor.

Meanwhile, Roxburgh checks that the unfortunate Ponsonby is still breathing. The lad seems to have taken a blow to the head, probably from the steps and blood is seeping from his hairline, other than that he seems to be uninjured; he is however unconscious.

Roxburgh scoops Ponsonby up and gingerly ascends the stairs to the grounds above.
Does Roxy take a tumble,[dice]0[/dice] - 2 successes Diff 3 is enough
"I say, could one of you take a look at our young charge, he seems to have done himself an injury." he says, gently laying the comatose Ponsonby on the grass.

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel kneels down and examines Ponsonby. "I'm no expert," she whispers, "but I'll do what I can. If we can get him back to the carriage, Laura could help. She's often patching up my cuts and bruises."
OOC,Jonathan is the only PC with Medicine, but he's not available at the moment.

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:08 am
by jaysun81

Jonathan's grip turns white knuckled as he envisions having to kill both the Cook and the hound for his life's sake. Howvever, the god's have hopefully provided a way out as he makes his way to the Hall.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:15 pm
by carnage_lee
Jonathan Hornsbee

Mustering all the stealth he can, Jonathan quietly steps into the hallway which is dimly lit, mostly via the yellowish lamp-light from the mezzanine above. In the gloom he can make out that the front doors to 'Fen House' are to his left while there are two closed doors in the wall opposite, to his right are a flight of imposing stairs leading to the floor above and to the right of the stairs is another closed door. The light from above suddenly intensifies and the unmistakable sound of creaking hinges can be heard, someone on the floor above has opened a door! Voices filter down from above, one of which is quite clear...
"What are you doing 'Golyadkin', you should not be out of your room..." the voice is gruff but easily made out to be that of Dr. Melchisedek Choker whom you met earlier, after dinner. "Yes, I heard the dog too, back to your room now, we may have company." the last words are followed by a metallic click, the sound of a revolver being cocked. "Bill.... BILL, attend we have uninvited guests..." footfalls can be heard on the floorboards above - someone is heading for the stairs and there is someone in the dining room behind!
More details,[attachment=0]Fen-House-Ground-Floor-Map-002.png[/attachment] Jonathan is at the mark JH, currently he's in the shadows and [i]probably[/i] can't be seen from above but there isn't a lot of cover in the hallway, definitely not enough to hide from whomever is approaching from above. [b]Make a check vs Intelligence (3)[/b]: 1 success = realises that the front doors will probably be barred and locked. 2 successes = deduces that the doorway to the right of the stairs probably leads into the Kitchen and that the Kitchen is where the back-door is.
Rachel, Nellie, Roxy & Ponsonby

Nellie starts to wind some of her torn petticoat around Ponsonby's head, hoping to at least staunch the bleeding. "He definitely needs to see a doctor!" Nellie says, Ponsonby has a ragged cut and a very large swelling on his head.

"He took a nasty crack to the head, poor chap will be seeing double for a day or two I expect." Roxburgh says, stooping to pick the unconscious young man up. "We'd better get the lad back to Cambridge as quick as possible."

The window above stays lit and from this angle it's not possible to see if anyone is looking out but if they are then it's not possible for them to see anyone down below. It's obvious that the people inside 'Fen House' have been alerted by the dog barking... but where is Jonathan?

Perception Roll from Rachel please,[attachment=0]Fen-House-Ground-Floor-Map-002.png[/attachment] 2+ successes = notices that there's a light coming from the nearest outbuilding. 3+ successes = that door (in the nearest outbuilding) wasn't open before. All clustered around 'RS' on the map, the outbuilding would be North East of where you are.

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel can't see much of anything in the darkness. "We've got to get him to the carriage," she whispers. "I hope Jonathan can catch us up, but he may need some support."
OOC,Perception roll (5 dice) outside the cellar: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:40 am
by jaysun81

Jonathan
looks around the room as best as he can in the darkness and mutters to himself, "This isn't good." Despite the front door being near it's undoubtedly buttoned up for the night and the risk is too great to attempt to use it. So, he makes his way to the doorway to the right of the stairs. Hoping - no praying - it does indeed lead to the kitchen and a way out.
OOC:   Intelligence - 3

[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:26 pm
by carnage_lee
Jonathan Hornsbee - Inside Fen House

Jonathan steps into a small room, the dim light from behind him allows him to identify the room as some type of store room. More importantly he sees a closed door in the opposite wall which must lead into the kitchen, there's a glow of light visible from under this door. Closing the door silently behind him he steps across the now dark room and feels around for the door-handle. After a moment of scrabbling about the door opens and Jonathan steps into what he recognises as the kitchen.

Jonathan can hear muffled voices coming from behind him, Choker must be in the hall, probably conversing with the woman that he saw earlier in the kitchen. Quickly looking about he can see the back door, which may be locked. Safe for the moment he has a few seconds to decide what to do next... retracing his steps wasn't an option, there were at least two people and probably the hound only a few yards away!
OOC:   It's up to you.. but the back door is locked but the key is in the lock - if yu take that rout then Jonathan will become aware of the details occurring outside.  
Ground Floor Map,[attachment=0]Fen-House-Ground-Floor-Map-003.png[/attachment]
Nellie/Roxburgh/Rachel/Ponsonby - Rear of Fen House

"Ohh, that's odd; I didn't see that light before." Nellie points to a nearby out-building, as Rachel and Roxburgh turn their heads to look at where the plucky reports is pointing they hear the loud screech of rusty hinges as the double doors of the out building open. Silhouetted in the doorways is a large, very large figure, which steps forwards and a deep ponderous voice rings out "Now where do you think you're going then?" the accent is local and of someone poorly educated.

Nellie gulps the man striding towards them is huge, larger than Roxburgh easily seven feet tall!

Roxburgh steps forward "Stop where you are Sir!" he says brandishing his pistol.
OOC:   Nellie - Perception roll (8 dice)
[dice]0[/dice]

The huge man is around twenty feet away at the moment.  

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel draws her own pistol in her right hand and levels it at the brute. She still has the brass knuckles on her left hand, which could serve as a quieter way to stop him if he closes, though stealth seems to be out the window at the moment.

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:28 pm
by jaysun81

Jonathan moves quickly to the backdoor, unlocking it, he opens the door and steps through.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:00 pm
by carnage_lee
jaysun81 wrote:
Jonathan moves quickly to the backdoor, unlocking it, he opens the door and steps through.
OOC:   You have the opportunity to react to the scene outside - Jonathan has stepped through the back-door in time to hear someone say "Now where do you think you're going then?" and see the hulking figure advancing on his friends.  

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:46 pm
by jaysun81

Jonathan levels the shotgun at the large man advancing on his friends and says, "Stop right there before I split you in half!"

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:53 pm
by carnage_lee
Jonathan, Rachel, Nellie, Roxy & Ponsonby - Outside of Fen House
Fen-House-Ground-Floor-Map-004.png
Seemingly unperturbed by Roxburgh's warning the 'giant' breaks into a lumbering run. "Bill's ... gonna ... squish you!" he yells. Even the sudden appearance of Jonathan brandishing a shotgun doesn't phase the rapidly approaching man.

Before anyone can react the man, if indeed he is a man, crosses into a lit area (cast from the windows above), his rough, beastly visage split by his snarling mouth causes everyone to pause momentarily. The man is revealed to be truly huge, easily seven feet tall, heavy and extremely menacing...
Intimadate (6),[dice]0[/dice] Nellie, Roxy and Rachel all suffer a -2 penalty to attack and skill rolls for 4 turns - Jonathan is far enough away to ignore the Intimidation.
... As Bill roars and charges several things happen. Roxy pulls the trigger and fires a shot at the approaching 'giant' and the kitchen door is thrown open and Jonathan becomes aware of the large dog leaping towards him.
OOC:   This is 'Turn 1'
Roxy has taken a shot (this will be resolved next as all actions are 'simultaneous' or near as dammit.
Jonathan can choose to either engage the hound that's launching towards him or shoot at 'Bill' (next turn he will be close to his friends and may hit them with the shotgun).
Rachel can take any action she wishes.
Nellie is frozen to the spot for this turn.

Bill - is too far away to attack with his 'shovel sized' fists this turn.  

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Though terrified of the hulking brute, Rachel doesn't forget how deadly she can be. She squeezes the trigger, sending lead flying at him.
OOC,Spending 2 Style points to improve my Agile Talent and get another +1 Dexterity until the end of this combat. Firearms(Pistol) roll shooting at [b]Bil[/b] (Dexterity 5 + Skill Level 2 + Specialization 1 = 8 dice - Intimidated 2 [disregard the last two dice]): [dice]0[/dice] Damage to [b]Bill[/b] (if it hits) (10L): [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:29 pm
by jaysun81

Hearing the pistol shots ring forth Jonathan turns his attention to the large hound as he attempt to dodge out of it's way.
OOC:   Defense: 6
[dice]0[/dice]

6 SUCCESSES!  

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:12 pm
by carnage_lee
Roxburghs shot,Pistol (7) [dice]0[/dice] Potential Damage (11L) [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:03 pm
by carnage_lee

Jonathan

Jonathan takes a half step and twists in reflex to the half-sensed leaping attack of the hound. He can see it's snarling snout and sharp teeth as it passes through the air inches from his body. Before snapping his head back to face the hound he can clearly see that the kitchen door is open ans spilling light out into the dark and fancies he can see movement from within the kitchen. An instant later Jonathan swings back, shotgun half raised, the hound lands not five feet from him, it's powerful muscles bunch and it's large paws bite into the grass as it prepares to turn around.

Rachel, Nellie and Roxy

Two shots ring out as Rachel and Roxburgh both fire their pistols at the advancing figure of 'Bill'. The man seems to stop for an instant but instead of toppling over he let's out a terrific roar and continues his charge, his thickly muscled arms spread wide.

Roxburgh's eyes widen in shock as the man continues towards them, the shots only seen to have enraged them, if indeed they bullets did hit home. Surely they must have hit, the man was huge.. and getting nearer! Roxburgh narrowed his eyes taking aim once more, willing his arm to stay still as images of being charged by an enraged Bull Elephant floated in his minds eye. He didn't have his trusty hunting-rifle to hand - his pistol would have to do!

The sharp reports of the two pistol shots snap Nellie out of her frozen state, she scrabbles about trying to lay her hand on her revolver... seeing that Roxburgh prepare to shoot again, she wills his aim to be true...
Roxy + Nellie,Roxburgh adds 3 style pts and Nellie spends 2 style points to boost Roxburgh's shot. [b]Roxburgh - Pistol 7 +5 (12) -2 for the intimidation 10 dice... [dice]0[/dice] Potential Damage (11L) [dice]1[/dice]
OOC:   Options...
Jonathan can blast the hound and point blank range (both barrels - if you wish (at no penalty)) - Jonthan's magnificent success on the defence roll has the hound at a serious disadvantage and it's defence will be halved to 3 for the next round, You'll need 4 successes ... spending style points would be in order. Both barrels will hit on the one roll.
Jonathan (almost certainly) risks hitting the others if he want to shoot Bill.

Rachel can get off one more shot before Bill rushes into them.  

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Tensing, Rachel snaps off another shot, preparing to leap aside after that to avoid Bill's charge, relying on her natural grace and agility.
OOC,Firearms(Pistol) roll shooting at [b]Bil[/b] (Dexterity 5 + Skill Level 2 + Specialization 1 - Intimidated 2 = 6 dice): [dice]0[/dice] Damage to [b]Bill[/b] (if it hits) (10L): [dice]1[/dice] Spending my last Style point to get a bonus die on my Firearms(Pistol) roll (if I'm allowed to do it after having rolled): [dice]2[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:17 pm
by jaysun81
OOC:   If I understand the rules correctly Firearms for Jonathan is an "Untrained Skill." So I use my base Attribute (which is Dex: 2) and apply a -2 penalty, which lowers it to 0. So in order to pull off this shot on the hound I'll need to use all 4 SP that I have and hope for them all to succeed. Am I understanding correctly?  

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:39 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   In this instance you can ignore the -2 penalty, as Jonathan's perfect dodge manoeuvre has the attacking hound at a severe disadvantage.  

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:55 am
by jaysun81

Jonathan takes aim at the hound and unloads both barrels as he hopes for the best.
OOC:   Going for broke!
Dexterity (2d) + Style Points (4d) = 6d
[dice]0[/dice]
4 SUCCESSES!  

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:58 pm
by carnage_lee

Muzzle flashes light up the rear of Fen House silhouetting the combatants for a moment, as the night erupts again with the loud reports of gunfire, the near simultaneous blasts of Jonathan's shotgun almost drown out the shots that come from Roxburgh and Racehel's revolvers.

Both of Jonathan's shots catch the large 'wolf-like' hound as it turns to face him, the beast is hurled back as the pellets rip into its flesh and the unmoving carcass hits the ground with an audible thump and a disturbing wet tearing sound. The vicious beast didn't even have time to cry out before the deadly blasts ripped into its body pulverising organs and splintering bones.

Nellie let's out a thin wail, as both Rachel and Roxburgh shoot, the flames from their pistol's illuminating their attacker, the hulking brute's roar continues his tattered great coat swirling about his huge misshapen frame, beady dark eyes set seep under prominent brows glint with evil intent. Before anyone can gauge if the shots hit home the huge figure barrels into the group of three investigators, huge hands clenched into fists swinging towards Roxburgh's head.

The two men go down in a tangled heap, Roxburgh trying to get out from underneath the other man as they start grappling, for all his prodigious size Roxburth looks to be in trouble!

Spoiler:
Bill has taken some serious damage but he's not dead yet... he's so large that it's unlikely that a mellee attack will hit Roxy by mistake (shooting at him is another matter),Jonathan needs time to re-load - there are definitely people in the kitchen they may be coming through the door at any moment! He could reach the others in time to attack in the next round - or possibly find cover and re-load - covering the kitchen door.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Fortunately, Rachel is just as skilled at fisticuffs as she is at shooting. She launches a vicious left hook at Bill - that left augmented by her pair of brass knuckles.
OOC,Brawl(Punch) roll attacking [b]Bil[/b] (Dexterity 5 + Skill Level 2 + Specialization 1 - Intimidated 2 = 6 dice): [dice]0[/dice] Damage to [b]Bill[/b] (if it hits) (8N): [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:10 pm
by jaysun81
Jonathan scrambles to find cover that will allow him to be close enough to cover the kitchen door, but out of reach of the hulk his friends are engaging. As he moves into position he pulls two shells from his pocket, preparing to reload the shotgun.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:28 pm
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh's and the giant-like 'Bill' are locked together in a frantic 'wrestling match' both trying to best the other, some how they manage to block each other's blows to some effect and each manage to land only weak blows. Rachel spots an opportunity and swings a very unladylike roundhouse punch which connects solidly with the brute's misshapen head with an alarming 'crunching' sound.

Bill let's out a deep grunt and collapses, pinning Roxburgh beneath his bulk, Rachel winces, her hand stinging from the blow - her hand is covered in blood - luckily not hers.

"Uughhh.. Can't .. can't move.." says Roxburgh obviously fighting for breath, he can't manage to extricate himself from underneath his attacker.
Spoiler:
Bill weighs somewhere north of 400lbs (mostly bone and muscle) and is 7' tall
Nellie looks on, her shocked face partly hidden in the darkness.. "Is... is he... dead?" she asks in a weak voice.
Spoiler:
There doesn't seem to be a pulse...
Jonathan is only vaguely aware of the details of the fight, as he moves behind a 'sick looking' rose-bush, which is the only cover available within easy reach. He manages to slot home two new cartridges and snaps the barrel of the shotgun closed again. The back door opens wider but no one rushes outside, shadows elude to the fact that there are people sheltering over the threshold... the voice of the cook reaches Jonathan's ears "Ee's got the 'bloomin shotgun, it aint in the cupboard!" followed by another voice, too muffled to understand but possibly Choker's responds.

The unmistakable sound of a sash window being opened is the only warning that Jonathan gets as a shot rings out from an upstairs window, luckily the shot misses its mark. Jonathan realises that there's two people in the kitchen (probably Choker and the cook) and another person (at least) upstairs.

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel nods to Nellie. "We're going to need some leverage to get him off," she says, looking around for something that can be used as a lever, such as a garden tool.
OOC,Can I see the shooter in the window from where I am?

Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:01 am
by carnage_lee
There are plenty of wooden crates around, they were stacked on top of the 'trap-door' - they're not really suitable as a lever. There may be longer sturdier planks or more suitable lumber in one of the out-buildings. Roxy, Rachel and Nellie can work together to roll Bill off of Roxy - Together they have 6 strength, making a dice pool of 12 (for a strength test) - it's ok for 1 person (Mr Handy) to make the roll - 8 successes to roll Bill off of Roxy - of course Jonathan could add 6 more dice to the pool but then who would be stopping the denizens of Fen House from getting out?
Spotting the gunman,Rachel, Roxy and Nellie can't see which window has been opened from where they are - the window is above the kitchen facing the rear of the house. I have added 'UFS' (upper floor shooter) onto a new map: [attachment=0]Fen-House-Ground-Floor-Map-005.png[/attachment]

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"There may be something in one of the outbuildings, but let's see if we can move him working together first," says Rachel. "One...two...three..Heave!" She tries to help Nellie and Roxy to get the dead man off of him, and it seems almost easy. She doesn't even break a sweat.
OOC,STR roll (12 dice) trying to move the body: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 am
by jaysun81
Seeing no need to be discreet Jonathan shouts to his associates saying, "Is everyone alright? Perhaps we should beat feet?" As he keeps an eye on the door, and attempts to remain covered from the upstairs shooter.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 pm
by carnage_lee
Jonathan, Rachel, Nellie, Roxburgh & Ponsonby - Outside of Fen House

Roxburgh, Rachel, Nellie (and an unconscious Ponsonby)

Roxburgh scrambles to his feet with enormous relief at being freed from under the bulk of Bill's corpse. "Well that was a close shave! I could feel my ribs cracking, don't you know." he says a little breathlessly. "Damned man was harder to put down than a charging 'Bull Elephant'... almost as large too!" the renowned hunter looks down at the still body, perhaps imagining the fearsome and almost bestial face might look stuffed and mounted in his trophy room. "Good shooting." he adds smiling at Rachel.

Jonathan's shouted queries attract another shot from the upstairs window, perhaps the rose-bushes are not quite good enough cover?
Did it hit?,[dice]0[/dice] - Jonathan can have 3 more dice on his defence roll to allow for the darkness and cover. [b]Edit[/b] no need to roll (pool of 9 dice is 4+ average) so the shot goes wide... but will the next one?

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:26 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   So, what's the plan? The people in Fen House could out-flank you by coming around from the front door (there are at least 3 people in the house).

Someone will have to carry the unconscious Ponsonby, Jonathan is the strongest and could carry the youngster without being slowed down too much (he's also the worst shot). Escaping means going back down past the 'games room' and across the front garden to the lane and then finding the cab that you'd instructed to wait 'aways down the lane'. Or you can take refuge in one of the out-buildings but that'd result in a shoot-out.

Jonathan should be able to get to where the others are without any problems (especially if he shoots the shotgun first) - the people in the house would take some moments to work out what was going on....

Sorry for the slow pace - I'm suffering with my 2nd cold in two weeks.

I'll try and recruit people to take over Nellie and Roxy (to take control of them after this scene).  

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:08 am
by jaysun81

Jonathan realizing that it was pure luck that he brought the hound down and that he lacks any skills with a firearm decides to fire off one barrel of the gun into the air. Figuring it would be best to regroup with his friends, and get the shotgun into qualified hands he decides to break from cover and head towards his friends once he discharged the gun.
OOC:   Firearms is an "Untrained Skill" for Jonathan. So I use my base Attribute (which is Dex: 2) and apply a -2 penalty, which lowers it to 0.Considering I have no SP left, and I don't have the benefit of an uncanny dodge I'm gonna gamble and run.  

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," Rachel says to Roxburgh. "Of course, it was my fist that finally brought him down. We have to get Ponsonby out of here and back to the University post haste, so we can thwart the plot." She spots Jonathan on his way to join them and reloads her pistol to replace the bullets she's fired. "He can carry the young man. I'll help cover our retreat."

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:44 am
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh favours Jonathan with a hearty slap on the back by way of welcome and takes the proffered shotgun and handful of cartridges and hastily ejects the spent cartridge and re-loads.

"I'll cover our backs, Mrs Steele if you would be so kind as to lead the way and cover the front door we should be able to make for the lane. You too Miss Bly. he adds, handing Nellie his re-loaded pistol.

Jonathan takes a few moments to make sure that he has a good hold of the unconscious form of Ponsonby they set off, Nellie and Rachel quickly moving to along the side of the house and stopping at he corner. The front door remains closed, the coast is clear.
OOC Jonathan,You caught a fleeting glimpse of the man in the upstairs room, not a good look by any stretch of the imagination, but something about the man was familiar...
OOC:   It would only be a matter of a handful of seconds to rush up the driveway and onto the lane. Bushes and trees that line the lane on either side would offer some protection from view and make shooting from the House difficult. Your only difficulty then would be to find the coach that you arrived in.  

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Almost there," says Rachel, using the greenery for cover as she leads the way, keeping her eyes peeled for the coach.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:32 am
by jaysun81
Jonathan follows after his companions all the while wondering about what - or rather who - he saw mere moments ago.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:49 am
by carnage_lee

Rachel takes point, her revolver gripped in her hand, with Nellie and Jonathan a few paces back, making your way along the lane. Your speed of progress is somewhat hampered by the fact that Jonathan has the unconscious form of Ponsonby slung over his shoulder. It only takes a few minutes for Fen House to disappear from view behind hedges and bends in the lane.

The sounds of hurrying footsteps reveal Roxburgh as he rushes to catch up; "Those scoundrels are not following us but they may be making plans to vacate the house. They must know that we will bring the authorities down on their heads once we reach Cambridge." he says, panting slightly. With a nod he then drops back a little distance and you know that the renowned hunter is covering the retreat.

Your footfalls seem to echo loudly in your ears as you hurry along the lane, the darkness pressing around you...
IC info - all,You recall that [b]Alf[/b] said he would wait about a mile from the house and you wonder if the sounds of the fight outside [b]Fen House[/b] would have reached his ears and if so would they have spooked the driver into leaving his position? At your current pace, as [b]Jonathan[/b] is encumbered with the unconscious form of [b]Ponsonby[/b], you estimate it will be at least half an hour before you get to where your waiting vehicle ought to be.
OOC - Decisions,Do you stick together? Does it make sense for the ladies to march ahead and make best speed to get to the waiting coach and get it driven back to Jonathan and Roxburgh? If Rachel and or Nellie were to rush on ahead they could reach the cab in half the time .. but what about the villains that were left in Fen House? Are you safer together?

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"We must get back to Cambridge quickly to foil the plot," says Rachel. "Nellie and I should hurry ahead and retrieve the cab."

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 am
by jaysun81
While carrying Ponsonby, Jonathan nods at Rachel's comment and says, "Excellent idea."

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:11 pm
by carnage_lee
Jonathan, Rachel, Nellie, Roxburgh & Ponsonby

Rachel and Nellie rush ahead to meet with Alf the cabbie, unencumbered by the need to move as slowly as Jonathan they soon disappear from sight as they rush along the road-way.

After fifteen minutes or so they reach their cab and the breathless ladies explain the need to travel back up the lane to collect their friends. Within a few moments they're in the cab and Alf is urging the horse along the dark lane to collect Jonathan, Ponsonby and Roxburgh.

It's only s couple of minutes later that the cab drawn up as the form of Jonathan comes into view of the oil-lamps. Roxburgh takes a position beside Alf as the inside of the cab is too cramped for more than four people.

"Where to now then?" says an obviously curious Alf.
Spoiler:
The cab is facing back the way you fled from Fen House, that's the way back to Cambridge (you have to pass by Fen House); it's journey of an half an hour or so to get back to Trinity College. The other direction would take you to the small village of Grantchester - five minutes journey.

Ponsonby looks no worse, though he does need medical attention.

It's currently coming up to 10pm (that's my gut feeling, if you don't agree let me know).

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Back to Trinity College, and quickly," says Rachel. "There's not a moment to lose!"

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:48 pm
by carnage_lee

Roxburgh nods imperceptibly "You heard the lady, speed is of the essence, the boy requires medical assistance." he barks, re-enforcing Rachel's order.

Alf shakes the reigns while making a clicking sound and the horses start moving, the iron bound wheels making low rumbling noises as the speed picks up. Within a matter of minutes you draw past Fen House. No one is in sight but may windows are lit, the house is still occupied. Your passage doesn't draw any response from within the house and continue northwards along Grantchester Road towards Trinity College.
Spoiler:
I've decided that the group is in a 'Growler' cab.
As your carriage slows to take the turn onto Barton Road a loud report sings out in the night followed by a zinging whine as the bullet ricochets off of the iron cover of the left-hand side lamp. The noise of the shot causes one of the horses to pull sharply to the left and the carriage sways alarmingly, wheels clipping the kerb-stones, the iron hubs creating a shower of sparks.

With a clatter of hooves a smaller carriage moves past another shot rings out and both your horses pull up, snorting and whinnying. The other carriage pulls past and, leaning alarmingly, makes the turn onto Barton Road.
Everyone,inside the 'Growler' needs to make a Difficulty 2 roll using their DEX rating, followed by a Difficulty 4 using Perception.
Roxburgh,Dex: [dice]0[/dice] Perception: [dice]1[/dice]
Taken totally unaware by the events Roxburgh finds himself almost thrown from the bench-seat, he only manages to stop himself from being flung off the carriage by dropping the shotgun and finding something to hang on to. The shotgun clatters to the pavement.... luckily the hammers were not cocked and the shotgun fails to fire.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Graceful as always, Rachel manages to maintain her balance. She almost, but not quite, sees something out of the corner of her eye.
OOC,Don't we get to double a primary attribute when we roll against it? If so, [b]Roxborough[/b] may still succeed. DEX 4 roll (Difficulty 2): [dice]0[/dice] Perception 5 roll (Difficulty 4): [dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:25 am
by carnage_lee
Nellie Bly
OOC,DEX 3: [dice]0[/dice] Perception 8: Take avg of 4
The sudden jolting of the carriage doesn't seem to bother Nellie, not only does she seem barely to move but she also keeps a tight grip on Ponsonby and stops him from being thrown about.

As the other carriage flashes past she catches a good look at the driver; it's someone she recognises but doesn't get a good look at the gunman his face obscured by the smoke from his pistol, as he fires the shot that goes wide as the carriages pass. "Dr. Choker... and someone else!" she exclaims.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can I return fire? I presume there was time to reload my revolver.

Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:44 pm
by jaysun81
OOC:   Dexterity: 2 (DIFF 2)
[dice]0[/dice]
Perception: 5 (DIFF 4)
[dice]1[/dice]  

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:40 pm
by carnage_lee
ooc,I don't think there would be time between the near crash and the other carriage overtaking and then making the turn. Rachel would have to be on the off-side of the coach facing forwards to be in a position to get a shot off out of the window (in the door), which in all probability would be up. How about a difficulty 5 on initiative?

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel moves quickly to return fire at the other coach, but she is just a hair too late, and it is out of her line of sight. "Quickly, we must catch up to them!" she calls.
OOC,Initiative 7 roll (Difficulty 5): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:37 am
by carnage_lee

Unfortunately the coach can't move off immediately, Alf has the horses under control but Roxburgh is in the process of climbing down from his seat to fetch the dropped shot-gun. "Hold up... we can't leave the shotgun behind." Roxburgh's portly frame swings down from the front of the coach and picks up the fallen weapon.

"F.. follow those madmen! They shot at us.. drivin' to the Rozzers is more like it!" says a very unhappy Alf.
OOC,You'll have to be persuasive... if you want to try and catch up. Ohh 'Rozzers' is slang for the cops.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"The most important thing is that we get back to Cambridge before they do," says Rachel. "whether we catch up to them and stop or pass them, or whether you know of a shortcut. The fate of the British Empire is at stake! I'm sure Her Majesty would be grateful for your service. We must all do our bit for our country. Your job is just to get us there. We'll take care of the rest."
OOC,Con roll (5 dice): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:17 pm
by carnage_lee

As soon as Roxburgh climbs back up to his position on the outside of the carriage, a suitably eager Alf gets the horses moving. Turning right onto Barton road the 'Growler' picks up speed "I can't see any lights up ahead.. I can get ya to Trinity in fifteen minutes but I can't see them other fellows."

"He is right, there's no other carriages on this stretch of the road.."

The carriage will soon have to make a left turn to head north to Trinity College, you could take Grange Road which is the first left or carry on till nearly at the river Cam (another 300 yards or so). Which way?

OOC,You're already in the 'outskirts' of Cambridge, Where you are now it's about half a mile, 'as the crow flies' to Trinity (Fen House would actually be located a little more than two and a quarter miles (by road) from Trinity. It wasn't until I checked a map that I realised how short the distances would actually be.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Which way will get us back to Trinity College faster?" Rachel asks Alf, who is after all the expert.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:22 pm
by jaysun81
As their coach races down the road Jonathan begins to pack his pipe in hopes of having a smoke before they arrive back at Trinity.

Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:05 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Run out of time! I'm away next week - will try to get the next scene started before the end of the week.  

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:01 am
by carnage_lee

Alf cracks the whip and takes a turn heading North "Aye... we'll be there in five minutes." Alf sounds relieved not to be following or 'hunting' the other carriage.

"No doubt those scoundrels carried on towards the river" Roxburgh says, he can't make out any lights ahead of them.

Edward moans and stirs, the recent jolting seems to have caused him some distress... his eyes open his mouth opens and in a croaking voice says three words "the Hidden God" before slumping unconscious once more.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can [b]Jonathan[/b] help him? He does have Medicine, with a specialization in First Aid.

Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:25 am
by carnage_lee
OOC,You can always try :twisted: he needs medical attention for the head injury but he's in no immediate danger.

Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"See if you can do something to help him," Rachel says to Jonathan as she checks that her revolver is fully loaded. "I don't think his injury is life-threatening, but it would be helpful if he were able to speak coherently."

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:53 pm
by jaysun81
Jonathan nods at Rachel and says, "Alright, I'll see what I can do." Clenching his pipe between his teeth he moves over to Edward and begins to look at the head injury.
OOC:   Medicine (First Aid) 5
[dice]0[/dice]
4 SUCCESSES!  

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 pm
by carnage_lee

Jonthan examines Ponsonby's wounded head by the flicking light of an oil-lamp held aloft by Nellie; his fingertips probe the scabbed over wound and with an unsatisfied clucking of his tongue he lifts each of the unconscious youth's eyelids. "I think we have done all we can for the lad, there is no evidence of a fractured skull ... head wounds can be tricky, someone at Trinity can summon a doctor." Jonathan then covers the wound back up and takes his seat again.

A few moments later the carriage pulls up having reached the Great Gate on Trinity Street, "Righto, we're 'ere." says Alf and he ties off the reins and jumps down from his perch. Roxburgh clambers down, before he can do anything else the side door in the Great Gate opens and the familiar figure of Inspector Harcourt steps out, closely followed by Magsworthy and then a Police Constable.

Harcourt starts to speak but is beaten to it by Roxburgh "Ahh... Magsworthy..." he booms "Please summon medical assistance, we have Edward Ponsonby in the carriage... he has been hurt in an accident." he carries on ignoring the spluttering Inspector.

Alf has opened the carriage door and helped the ladies alight, "Gawd, 'e looks in a right state, I do 'ope 'e ain't bleedin' all over my seats!" the cab-driver sound quite alarmed.

With an encouraging nod from Roxburgh to Magsworthy the College Porter disappears back into the gate house.

Harcourt steps over to the carriage and pulls Alf out of the way and peers inside.. "This looks very serious.." with those words you are aware of the Police Constable stepping over to stand behind you "So then... what happened here then?" Harcourt asks, pulling out his notebook from his coat pocket.
Jonathan First Aid,the four successes are enough to let you know that there's not much you can do and [b]Ponsonby[/b] needs [i]proper[/i] medical attention.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"There's not a moment to lose, Inspector!" says Rachel. "We've discovered that there is to be an attempt on the chancellor Sir William Vernon Harcourt's life at the Apostle's Dinner! We must warn him of the danger!" It occurs to Rachel that it is likely that the chancellor is related to the inspector in some way, as they share the same surname.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:23 am
by carnage_lee
OOC,Whoops! I'd forgotten that that piece of information had already been given up (far too early in the adventure IMHO) - that rather changes what I had planned for the next scene :cry: I'll have to come up with something else...

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:40 pm
by carnage_lee
Magsworthy, scoots off to summon aid for the stricken youth, seemingly persuaded by Roxburgh and the cab-driver Alf.

Inspector Harcourt raises an eyebrow "To my certain knowledge Sir William is in London and it is definitely too late to be having dinner. Now while we are waiting for medical assistance you can answer my questions." he seems to make a few marks in his notebook. "Can you account for your whereabouts for the last two hours?" he fixes each one of you with a stare.

Alf steps forward, "'Ang about, we need to get this bloke out of my cab.." only to be brought up short as the constable places a large hand on the cab-driver's shoulder.

"I would advise you to answer the Inspector's questions... this is a very serious matter." the Constable says in a deep voice.

Inspector Harcourt,is NOT related to the Chancellor, the surname is a coincidence (well the Inspector isn't named as part of the scenario as written).
Perception,for anyone that can make 3 successes vs. their perception - you fancy that [b]Magsworthy[/b] paused as he turned to go back through the gate.. right as [b]Rachel[/b] mentioned the word "Apostle's". For 2 or more - It's obvious that while a plot against the Chancellor of the Exchequer is a serious accusation he has another matter on his mind. (

Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"We were at Fen House," says Rachel, "rescuing young Ponsonby, who had been kidnapped and imprisoned there. He can confirm that when he recovers."
OOC,Perception roll (5 dice): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:26 am
by jaysun81
Jonthan puffs on his pipe and nods in agreement with Rachel, though his eyes follow Magsworthy.
OOC:   Perception 5
[dice]0[/dice]
3 SUCCESSES!  

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:56 am
by carnage_lee
Perception Rolls for:
Nellie (8),[dice]0[/dice]
Roxburgh (5),[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:34 pm
by carnage_lee
At the main gates of Trinity college

Inpector Harcourt pauses, his pencil poised just above the page of his pocket note-book. "Kidnapping and Imprisonment... now those are extremely serious accusations, very serious indeed..." he does his best to fix everyone with an intimidating stare finally resting on Alf who looks a little nervous.

"Now.. don't be lookin' at me like that, all I did is drive 'em out there and wait; I didn't do no rescuing nor shooting at my own cab.. look 'ere" Alf points to the damaged lantern on the side of his cab, a bullet hole can be clearly seen through the metal. "Who's gonna pay for that.. and cleaning the blood up?" Alf looks very sorry for himself, wringing his hands worried about his livelihood.

"Shooting..!" Harcout exclaims.

"That makes three incidents tonight, Sir! the burly constable add in a grim voice.

"Indeed it does Constable... and two of them incidents involving our friends here.. highly suspicious.. Constable summon transport, these people have some questions to answer... Look lively lad." he says, snapping his notebook closed.

The Constable rushes off and you can hear him blow his whistle from the street corner to summon more of Cambridge's finest.

At that moment Magsworthy re-appears with another man, both slightly out of breath. "I managed to find Dr. Dennis Sir." he says to Harcourt and proceeds to examine the unconscious youth slumped on the seats of Alf's cab.

"I ain't going down the nick... it ain't me what's done nuffink.." Alf whines.

After a few minutes Dr. Dennis pronounces that Ponsonby is definitely 'out for the count' with a large gash to his head (and this man has a medical degree!) maybe a concussion and asks Magsworthy to 'rustle up' some more porters and stretcher the lad off to the infirmary. "He'll be right as rain in the morning, young students are always getting themselves knocked out what!"

There's probably a couple of minutes till the Constable comes back ... what are you going to do?

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think we can wait until morning for Ponsonby to recover," Rachel whispers to her friends. "There isn't much time to prevent the assassination. We must get to the Apostle's Dinner, but where is it?"

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   If every PC can make rolls vs their Intelligence then I'll post some IC observations based on the number of successes.

Nellie:3
Roxy:3
Rachel:3
Jonathan:3
Nellie:,[dice]0[/dice]
Roxburgh:,[dice]1[/dice]
For FREE, none of the PC's have heard of the Apostle's (in this context).  

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Rachel tries to think.
OOC,I thought we got double our stat in dice when we roll against it? Intelligence roll (3 dice): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:48 am
by jaysun81
Jonathan continues to puff on his pipe.
OOC:   Intelligence: 3
[dice]0[/dice]  

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 am
by carnage_lee
Spoiler:
Character's IC Observations,
You can all deduce (separately and in combination)
  • If there is such a thing as the 'Apostles' dinner - it would be well under-way by now if not finished - if it was to be held today.
  • Harcourt would definitely know if his famous namesake (The Chancellor of the Exchequer, no less) was in Cambridge.
  • Judging by the actions of the people at Fen House - Choker et al - they weren't preparing to initiate any plans tonight.
  • 3 shootings? One would have been that chase on the rooftops earlier, the second (as far as you're concerned and the facts reported to the Inspector) would be the shots fired at the cab as detailed by Alf ... the third could be the fracas at Fen House but if so why would the Inspector be at the College? Was there another incident?

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Come to think of it," says Rachel, "it doesn't seem like the assassination is planned for tonight. We may be better off cooperating with the Inspector and trying to enlist his aid. Something he said strikes me, too. He said there was one more shooting than we know about, and he was here when we arrived. Could there have been another shooting here in our absence?"

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:11 am
by jaysun81
Taking the pipe from his mouth, Jonathan says, "Yes, you're right." Tamping the tobacco he continues, "Another shooting is quite interesting. While it may be unrelated, it's definitely worth looking into."

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:41 pm
by carnage_lee
At the main Gates of Trinity College

Harcourt stands watch over you waiting for transportation to arrive.

Roxburgh nods and agrees with his companions deductions ""Look here Harcourt... we want to co-operate with you, indeed it is our patriotic duty.. for in rescuing young Ponsonby from his captors we have stumbled upon a diabolical plot to strike at the very heart of our great nation..." Roxburgh launched into an impassioned appeal, drawing on his aristocratic heritage to try and ingratiate the party with the dour Inspector. "... We are more than prepared to cooperate with your investigation... ooof!" he exclaims as Nellie elbows him in the ribs.

"What he means is... was there another shooting here? After that horrid man shot poor Jonathan I mean?" Nellie asks the Inspector, evidently unable to wait for Roxburgh to get to the point.

"Not here no... but the circumstances warranted an official visit here as you four may have been involved, indirectly of course..." he adds the last part hastily, reminded that Roxburgh is a 'Lord' and that he had better not rush to make assumptions that might have consequences. "There was a shooting... the cabbie.. MacPherson he was shot and mortally wounded as my officers were escorting him into the Police Station..."
OOC,There will be time to ask a follow up question before the Police carriage arrives.

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"MacPherson was employed by Professor Choker, who is behind the kidnapping and the plot against the Chancellor," says Rachel. "I suspect Professor Choker had him shot to ensure he wouldn't talk. Do you have any leads on the shooting? From which direction and angle did the bullet come? Was he able to say anything?"
OOC,Edited because I forgot the villain's name. Whoops! :oops:

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:25 am
by carnage_lee
At the main Gates of Trinity College

"That's right, Rab was working for Choker, 'e was right made up about it an all, said that Choker 'ad deep pockets..." Alf pipes up, confirming part of Rachel's comments.