Episode One/b - Cambridge

Journey with us to an alternative 1898, where history rubs shoulders with imagination. Where ‘what was’ is replaced by ‘what might have been’. Leagues of Adventures presents, for your edification – ‘The Dreaming Spires, episode one of the Great Game Campaign’.

“... A time when science itself stands poised to usher in a new golden age, or doom the world to terrible war.
In the ancient university of Cambridge, the scion of an aristocratic family has gone missing, unearthing a plot which threatens to plunge the British Empire into chaos.
Can the intrepid globetrotters solve the Cambridge conspiracy before it’s too late? What secrets lie hidden beneath its dreaming spires?”

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Episode One/b - Cambridge

Post by Priest »

Episode One/b - CAMBRIDGE

Several hours after leaving the Ponsonby’s Carchilders Estate, you arrive tired and irritable from your journey in the university town of Cambridge, well its train station to be precise.

Cutting through London from Victoria to Liverpool Street all had been quiet, the disturbances of earlier having been dealt with by the authorities and other than a few ominous stains marring the street and the remains of a placard on which someone had scrawled in a very untutored hand “Man is borne free, but everywere is in chaynes”, there is little evidence of the protest which had almost resulted in your missing your earlier train.

With a spurt of steam and a high pitched whistle the locomotive begins to leave the station. Other than a few porters and other railway staff the platform looks fairly deserted...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: Episode One/b - Cambridge

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

"I believe I shall have some stern words with Wellington, when I see him next. It seems to me that our erstwhile colleague has deemed this case beneath him and has manoevered us to take his place! On top of that he begged off the last two meetings we had arranged, I despair of ever getting an interview out of that man." Nellie grumbles, after the long journey.

"Roxy, be a darling and get one of those strapping porters to take care of our baggage, I think it may be worth having a few words with the station master... he may be able to confirm if Edward did indeed leave Cambridge."
OOC:   Apologies for my lack of participation, not a lot of spare time in the last week or so and I've been in Madrid.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, good thinking, Nellie!" says Rachel. "I'm sure the photograph will prove useful there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

"Indeed it would!" Nellie replies, "Oh dear, I cannot recall if we know what time Edward would have arrived at this station, if indeed he did get here; I did not write as many notes as usual." Nellie seems somewhat embarrassed by this lapse.
Nellie thinking:   Drat, that is embarrassing.. but that insufferable [i]Sir Reginald[/i] had me so cross with his damnable attitude, blaming his son's actions on a 'girl' and not even bothering to have any facts on which to base his wild conjecture...  
Nellie unclenches her hands and takes a deep breath composing herself.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

It proves but a matter of minutes to find the station master in his office. He looks up as you enter in the midst of taking a large mouthfull of steaming tes from a chipped and marked china mug. "May I be of assistance Madam, or Miss is it?"
OOC:   Nellie – By using the photograph of Edward you get +3 to add to your investigation roll when interviewing the station master. The DR is 1, remember the more successes the better  
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Peter Roxborough calls a porter over to deal with their baggage.

Wait here fellow, keep on eye our things, I'll be back shortly he says briskly, rattling the coins in his pocket before following after Nellie.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie smiles sweetly "I certainly hope you can help.. and yes.. it's Miss... Bly" she says before holding up the photo, "My friends and I were on our way to visit Dr Oswaldtwistle at Trinity and I thought that someone in your position could help us more." Nellie holds the photo out to the Station Master, "Have you seen this young man before? Perhaps two days ago?"
Investigation/Interview Roll,[dice]0[/dice] - Interview = 6 +3 (using photo)
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The station master leans forward and takes the photograph that Nellie holds out. He slumps back into his chair, and studies the image of the smiling young man.

After what seems an interminable passage of time, the elderly man pushes the photograph back across the desk. Then, a suspicious look in his eyes, he nods, “Aye, I remember him two days back, He was waiting for the London train as I recall”

He leans back in his chair, produces an old pipe and makings and begins the process of filling it, “Why? Who’s he, and what’s it to you?”

Nellie recognises the beginnings of traditional ‘dance around’...
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Peter Roxborough approaches the station master's office, taps lightly on the door before stepping in.

Ah Miss Bly here you are he says brightly. He transfers his gaze to the station master, steps over to the desk and looks down at the man Lord Peter Roxborough, renowned game hunter.

I'm sure my colleague has already introduced herself, we'd be most grateful if you could assist us in answering a few questions. The why's and wherefore's are really of no consequence to you but your cooperation may well be...
he leaves the unsaid threat hanging in the air for a moment.

Miss Bly sorry to have interrupted he says turning to Nellie Would you like to continue?
ooc,I'm trying a mild intimidation, pulling rank and leaning over a seated man with my not inconsiderable chest and girth! Not sure what kind of roll I might make or should I add style points to Nellie to augment her rolls?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Peter - Intimidation is a skill. Its base is Charisma. You could try an untrained skill role but that would start at -2 and as you only have 2 in charisma you will have failed before you begin. You could of course use some of your 4 style points, but in this situation I would advise against it, for it would be a waste. Nellie has the situation under control per investigation. However from a purely role play situation having the hulking frame of possibly the Empires finest hunter leaning against the door frame would be pretty intimidating I imagine ;)  
- Anais Nin
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Jonathan follows Peter but stops outside the station master's door. Hearing the Peter's dramatic stop and apology to Nellie causes a smile to cross his face. As he listens to them speak inside the office he leans against the wall, smoking his pipe wondering where young Edgar could have ran off to, or rather who he ran off with... the again perhaps he was kidnapped.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rachel stands beside Jonathan, allowing Nellie to take the lead but ready to support her if she needs any help.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC: Britain’s railways are extensive. The Great Eastern Railway Company provides services to Cambridge throughout the day from Liverpool Street Station in east London and St. Pancras Station in central London. The journey takes 1¼ to 2½ hours, and costs 8s 9d for a first class ticket

Rachel and Jonathan -

Outside the Station Master’s office the station seems fairly busy, no doubt in readiness for the five o’clock train for London – the very one young Edward Ponsonby was due to take on the day of his disappearance.

The platform, nearest the station entrance, is awash with people. Most seem to be awaiting the train, but some are station staff – a busy porter here; a grizzled ticket collector there; and a rather officious looking gentleman in an immaculately pressed ERC uniform bearing a furled flag and a polished whistle.

As Rachel and Jonathan watch the man produces a fine looking pocket-watch. He glances at it, then to the tracks where in the distance a whoosh of smoke announces the imminent arrival of the five o’clock to London, Liverpool Street...
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Nellie and Peter -

For a moment or two the station master eyes up the intimidating figure of Lord Peter Roxborough and considers his position. During those brief moments his thoughts are easy to see displayed in his shifting features. Should he hold out for some form of monetary inducement, as he had originaly thought when confronted by the mere slip of a female? Or should he take the sudden appearance of the large gentleman as a sign? He chooses the latter. And with a small swallow,
“I do recall seeing a young gentleman looking much the same as the one in the picture. I was checking the readiness of my staff for the 5 o’clock to London, the same one as is now arriving. I noticed him as he seemed somewhat discomforted by something, I hoped it was nothing to do with my station and was about to approach him when this tall, foreign looking gent in a long overcoat walked up to him. They seemed to speak for a few moments before departing together for the exit. A few moment later the train arrived and I gave it no more thought ‘till now”
He reaches for his mug of tea and takes a drink as signalling the end of his story...
OOC:   As the station master begins his tale the London train arrives. Nellie gains another style point for her interview successes she now has +5  
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie considers the station masters tale, the information was definitely pertinent to their burgeoning investigation and flashes Roxborough a quick smile of thanks, realising that the presence of her impressive looking companion had helped loosen the station masters tongue.

"Thank you" she beams, fishing two half-crowns from her purse. "That is most helpful, I can tell you that the young man, Edward did not arrive at home as expected... if we knew whether or not he actually boarded the train... " Nellie rubs the two coins together, leaving the question hanging.
OOC:   if the station master cannot remember anything else, Nellie will suggest that one of his staff might know more.. or even the conductor on that train  
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Nellie and Peter -

The station master eyes the two half-crowns with avarice, he licks his lips with the thought of what five bob might buy him.
“As far as I know the man in question did not board the train. I was on the platform during the boarding and saw neither him nor his ‘friend’ again. I can only presume that he did not leave for the city by train”

His eyebrows arch in thought, he could almost taste the pints that five bob might buy him and there was that hat Martha had seen in the millenaries on Market Hill.
“Let me see Thomas Jones was the guard on the London train that day, if you’re quick you might catch him now as he’s working the same train”
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rachel observes the people on the platform carefully, looking for anyone out of the ordinary.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Rachel

You see no-one who seems to be out place on a station platform as a train arrives. You are able to overhear the station master mentioning Thomas Jones the guard on the London train that Edward was due to catch, and hear him say that this Jones is on the train that even as he speaks is puffing to a halt before you.

The engine comes to a stop in a cloud of steam and smoke. Doors crash open and passengers begin to alight while others board. The double doors of the guards van slide open and a thin faced individual alights. From his uniform and accoutrements you guess that this could be the very Thomas Jones mentioned by the station master.

As he steps onto the platform you see him look up and down the train, nod to the finely dressed official you had seen looking at his watch, and move smartly towards him...
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The train's pulling in now," Rachel says to Nellie and Lord Peter, "and a guard just stepped off. That could be Thomas Jones. Quick, bring the photograph!" She heads over towards the guard and the railway official.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Jonathan follows Rachel as she heads over to the man who they hope is Thomas Jones while saying, "In an effort to cover all bases perhaps we should be prepared in case the guard runs. After all, he could be connected to Edgar's disappearance."
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge

Return to “The Dreaming Spires”