Episode One/b - Cambridge

Journey with us to an alternative 1898, where history rubs shoulders with imagination. Where ‘what was’ is replaced by ‘what might have been’. Leagues of Adventures presents, for your edification – ‘The Dreaming Spires, episode one of the Great Game Campaign’.

“... A time when science itself stands poised to usher in a new golden age, or doom the world to terrible war.
In the ancient university of Cambridge, the scion of an aristocratic family has gone missing, unearthing a plot which threatens to plunge the British Empire into chaos.
Can the intrepid globetrotters solve the Cambridge conspiracy before it’s too late? What secrets lie hidden beneath its dreaming spires?”

Moderator: Priest

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Episode One/b - Cambridge

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps you can," says Rachel, showing him the photograph. "Have you or any of your colleagues seen this young man, probably in the company of a foreigner with a goatee and a limp? He would have been here two days ago at around five o'clock."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Rachel -

The cabbie, an elderly man with a merry twinkle in his eyes, regards the picture for a moment, “Hmmn...”
OOC:   Please make your Investigation (Interview) with +3 for the photograph, The DF is 1 (easy)  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rachel gives the man her best smile and waits patiently for him to remember.
OOC,Investigation roll (5 skill + 3 = 8 dice) to get information from the cabbie: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

“Hmmn...” The cabbie thinks hard, then looks over his shoulder, “Oi Alf, come and ‘ave a butchers at this photograph, see if this chap reminds you of anyone”

By this time the small group of cabbies had wandered over to see what the fuss was about. One of them steps close and pulls his woollen muffler from his face, you can tell he must be at least ten years older than the previous speaker. This then would probably be Alf Milsom about who you had been told.

For several seconds he looks at the photo of Edward Ponsonby, “I...ah...can’t be certain, but a chap looking similar was here the day before yesterday. If I recall proper, he was along with another chap, a foreigner I imagine from his dress climbing into a brougham being driven by McPherson” From the attitudes struck by the assembled cabbies it is obvious that this McPherson has few friends here.
OOC:   Brougham - A four wheeled, two horse carriage, with suspension and a fully enclosed compartment for two. The driver sits, unprotected in front of the passengers. Also known as a Coupe de ville this particular design was invented for Henry Brougham

- Anais Nin
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Jonathan stands beside Rachel puffing on his pipe as the cabbie speaks.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Rachel. "Is McPherson here today, by any chance?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Alf Milsom slowly shakes his head, “Nah aint seen ‘im since...that day when ‘e drove the two blokes away. Hang on I’ll see if Bert has seen ‘im”

He steps away a couple of paces and looks at the assembled group of cabbies, “Oi, Bert Alsop. You and McPherson pal around togever, ‘ave you seen ‘im since the day afore yesterday?”

A short overweight man in a long overcoat which looks as if its seen better days, steps up to Alf, and eyes your group nervously, “Friends we aint, I don’t fink Rab has any friends. At least none as ‘e speaks of, unless of course you adds Ma Wiggins as lives over in Grantchester”. He hunches his shoulders, “An’ I aint seen him lately, not since he started drivin’ for that bloke from the University”
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Which bloke is that?" asks Rachel.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Bert shrugs, “One of them toffs from Trinity, I’m not sure but I fink ‘is name is Choker or summit like that”

As he speaks a nearby church clock chimes the quarter. It is now 5:15pm you know that at 6:00pm dinner is served at the university, and it would be bad form to keep a member of the faculty, such as Dr Oswaldtwistle, from his dinner. Also, as if in sympathy with the chime, Lord Roxborough,s stomach begins one of its famous rumbles.
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

Gentlemen, you have been very helpful. Roxborough says, fishing some coins from his pocket.

Just so that I am clear, you believe you recall seeing the young gentleman in the photograph getting into a Brougham driven by a certain Rab McPherson who is now in the employ of a Mr. Choker or similarly sounding name, who in turn is at Trinity college? So it is probably fair to infer that the Brougham is owned or at the least used by Mr Choker. Oh, and Mr MacPherson is on good terms with a Ma Wiggins at Grantchester. he pauses waits for a nod of confirmation from the cabbies before continuing

Well as it so happens, we need to go to Trinity, so perhaps one of you good gentleman could take us forthwith. Another of you could take our luggage and my man Pierre. And do be careful with Pierre - he is very important, a man of outstanding culinary abilities as he finishes speaking his stomach gives out a long and impressive gurgling growl.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

“Thank you kindly sir” says Alf Milsom quickly pocketing the coins,following a few moments of respectful silence in response to Roxborough’s gastronomic complaint. Stepping to one of the waiting carriages he opens the door, gesturing to its leather seats, “If you would be so kind, sirs and ladies, I will take you to the university meself. Bert 'ere will carry your luggage and your servants as you require”
OOC:   From Cambridge station, the fare is 2 shillings to Trinity College, plus 6d per additional person. There’s even a horse-drawn tram, but only for impecunious students and the great unwashed!

When you are ready please go to Episode One/c - Trinity  
- Anais Nin

Return to “The Dreaming Spires”