Prelude - Revolutionary times

Journey with us to an alternative 1898, where history rubs shoulders with imagination. Where ‘what was’ is replaced by ‘what might have been’. Leagues of Adventures presents, for your edification – ‘The Dreaming Spires, episode one of the Great Game Campaign’.

“... A time when science itself stands poised to usher in a new golden age, or doom the world to terrible war.
In the ancient university of Cambridge, the scion of an aristocratic family has gone missing, unearthing a plot which threatens to plunge the British Empire into chaos.
Can the intrepid globetrotters solve the Cambridge conspiracy before it’s too late? What secrets lie hidden beneath its dreaming spires?”

Moderator: Priest

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Prelude - Revolutionary times

Post by Priest »

Prelude – Revolutionary Times
Ladies and Gentlemen, of good quality, please take your places for the opening scene of our grand adventure.
The drama begins in Buckingham Palace Road outside the main entrance to Victoria station where you set for the train to Carchilders in rural Surrey. There to meet with Sir Reginald and Lady Fenella Ponsonby concerning the disappearance of their son Edward.

The details had been somewhat brief merely suggesting that the boy had gone missing while attending Trinity College, Cambridge. Further information, you were assured, would be forthcoming at your meeting. It is for this forthcoming meeting that you find yourselves on a cold, wet, and windy autumn morning near the entrance to the station.

Alas, your progress is barred by a somewhat riotous commotion. Suddenly you faced are by rioting protestors, wielding placards covered with “workers’ rights” slogans, “London Working Men’s Association,” “Trades Union Rights,” and so on. Copies of the anarchist newspaper Freedom are being handed out, blazing with lurid headlines about government repression. It’s a dangerous situation, threatening to escalate quickly beyond the woefully inadequate attempts of the London bobbies to maintain order. Fortunately her majesty is not currently in residence at the palace, so is spared the unwholesome spectacle occurring not far from her front door.

These fellows, whatever their grievances, stand before you and the pursuance of your legitimate business.
What do you do?
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Prelude - Revolutionary times

Post by Priest »

“And so it begins”. This is a Conflict Scene so from each of you I need an Extended Action of ten (10) successes in order to push through the mob to safety within the station. The rolls depend on whatever tactics you choose. You may Intimidate (threaten); Con (Trick); use Diplomacy (persuade), or simply use your Strength to barge your way through (Athletics, Brawl etc). If you can think of a use for a skill to allow passage you may use it.
As an Extended Action, you continue to roll until a total of ten (10) successes are acumulated, each roll that fails to gain the ten successes in total needed will gain you 1N (non-lethal) points of damage, these are little more than simple bruises, scratches and scrapes the kind of injuries you might expect in a scrum. In other words the quicker you gain the ten (10) successes, the less painful it is.
However a Critical Failure (a roll which produces 0 successes) is special and that will be dealt with as, and if, it occurs.
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Papa Gateau »

OOC:   How have we arrived - are we a travelling as a group or have we arrived individually or in pairs etc?  
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

The Train to Hell - A Grim Praririe Tale
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Papa Gateau wrote:
OOC:   How have we arrived - are we a travelling as a group or have we arrived individually or in pairs etc?  
OOC:   At this moment you are arriving singly by any means with a view to meeting up at the station to take the 10:30am train to Norton Carchilders in Surrey. Whatever means of transport you choos to arrive at Victoria will drop you outside the throng. Get into the station and from there you are all together  
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Mrs. Rachel Steele alights from the hansom cab and surveys the crowd blocking her way into Victoria Station with dismay. Shrugging, she tries to squeeze her way through the masses, but they block her path. "Pardon me," she says. "I have a train to catch."

"Oh, the toff has a train to catch, eh?" sneers a hulking brute. He grips her shoulder with a hammy hand.

"Unhand me this instant, you knave!"

"Or what?"

"Or this!" She swings her fist at his jaw.
OOC,How many Style Points do we get to start? Am I allowed to use my brass knuckles to get 8 dice on my rolls? Otherwise, I'll just have to use Brawl (Punch) and get 7. Do we take this one round at a time, or do we make all of our rolls at once until we succeed (or fail)? The difficulty here seems rather high, especially for an initial encounter. I might have a halfway decent chance of getting through before I'm battered unconscious, but the others will have an even harder time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   Apologise to all. You have 3 style points to begin. You roll your dice untill you have accumulated 10 successes, each roll is one turn and each roll (turn) without amassing the required 10 successes you take 1 non-lethal wound and 1 only (so in the case of Mrs Steele it would take five rounds to drop to 0 points with further losses rendering her unconscious, hopefully she will be inside the station before that if not I will have to do a little handwaving. This is just to get used to the extended Action system, at this stage the scene is not life threatening).
Of course you may include any bonuses from simple melee weapons if you have them, such as saps, small clubs, brass knuckles etc. However the use of firearms or other lethal weaponry will be looked down upon by the authorities It is not the done thing to kill innocent men and women on the streets of the capital, no matter how pressing the temptation. (unless you are a badge carrying official with direct orders to do so).
Please continue rolling until the 10 successes are reached noting how many turns it takes.
If you roll a Critical Faiure (0 successes) then that triggers a scene in its self.
I hope the above is clear :D

Example: Michael chooses to intimidate (threaten) and has 4 dice in that skill he chooses to add 2 of his style points giving him a pool of 6 dice. He rolls 2,2,5,4,2,1 so 4 successes 6 more needed. He take 1 NL damage and rolls again this time with only 1 style dice available. And so on until 10 successes have been accumulated.  
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Lord Peter Roxborough alights from the Hansom cab, his faithful man-servant, Pierre, a step behind him. Surveying the scene in front him, the rabble and unrest, he takes his old regimental swagger stick and marches towards the nearest peeler, saying over his shoulder Stay close Pierre! Stay close!

Once level with the bobby, he says in a voice used to giving orders and expecting them to be obeyed Constable! Come with me, look after my man here! and without pause he marches into the throng and towards the station entrance.

He barges and pushes his way through the rabble, making free with his swagger stick as and when he sees fit, clearing a path for Pierre and the hapless bobby.

Out of my way oaf!
Rolls,I'll go with melee as I'm using my swagger stick (effectively a club?) Melee: 4 + 2 (Swagger stick) = 6 [dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice] [dice]2[/dice] [dice]3[/dice] On the 4th attempt I exceed the 10 required successes, so I take 3N damage?

Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Weilding his trusty swagger stick as if clearing a path through some overcrowded kasbah, Lord Peter Roxborough strikes an imposing figure. Like chaff before the flail the rioters fall before him, as many cowed by his demeanor as smashed aside by the precise application of his stick. Yet even as he clears a path for himself, a suprised bobby and the valise bearing Pierre, there are a few braver souls who seem happy to attempt some form of retaliation. Thus by the time he pushes through the gates to the platform he has accumulated a few bruises, scratches and surface cuts.
Once on the platform and away from the noisy throng outside he pauses and looks around to see if the others had arrived.
Health,Indeed,three non-lethal wounds. But do not worry for they will clear during the train journey.
- Anais Nin
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Jonathan Hornsbee having just arrived sees the mass of people before him. Standing there for a moment he takes the time to clean out his briar pipe, dumping the tobacco remains onto the street. Exhaling deeply he pockets his pipe relieved he didn't bring Rufus (his Irish Wolfhound) with him. Without much more thought he steps into the throng of protesters and outnumbered bobbies as he attempts to make his way to Victoria station.
OOC:   Athletics: 6

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]

Damage Sustained: 2N  
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rachel's blow knocks the huge man off of his feet, sending blood and teeth flying as he lands with a thud. However, now the mob is angrier, and that anger is directed towards her. She battles her way through them, using every martial arts move in her repertoire, and the brass knuckles she has slipped on add a little more force to her blows. As she cuts a swathe through the crowd, her maid Laura cleverly follows in her wake, carefully stepping over the trail of unconscious bodies Rachel leaves behind her. They are the first to reach the station. Rachel has a few bruises from the scuffle, but is not really worse for the wear. "Nothing like a spot of exercise to get the blood flowing, eh, Laura?" she says. "Thankfully, most of the blood wasn't ours."
OOC,I was going by the rules for Extended Actions in the book. When the DR is 2, that means that only successes in excess of two for each roll count as accumulated successes. If you get exactly two successes, you get nowhere. If you get fewer than two, you actually lose progress. If that had been the case, I would have made it through in five rounds with 1 Health remaining on average, and the others would have fared worse. With only six dice, you'll average one net success per roll, which means it will take ten rounds on average to get through, losing 9 Health. You'd have to burn Style points to soak damage to avoid getting knocked out, and even then you might not make it. If the DR is 0, then it works like you just said. I'm looking back at the instructions, and I don't see any reference to the DR being 2 any more, but I'm certain I saw it yesterday. [b]Rachel[/b]'s Brawl (Punch) + Brass Knuckles roll, Round 1: [dice]0[/dice] [b]Rachel[/b]'s Brawl (Punch) + Brass Knuckles roll, Round 2: [dice]1[/dice] 10 successes achieved in two rounds. Only 1N damage suffered. That was lucky! 8-)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Lord Peter Roxborough looks around the station concourse, his swagger stick tapping idly against his thigh, a light sheen of perspiration on his brow, a huge grin plastered to his jaw.

Pierre my man, you are unharmed? Good, good. What a despicable rabble! Really! Worker's Rights Good Lord! What will they think of next! he glances across to the constable Well done my boy! You can go back to herding that lot, so that decent upstanding citizens can get about their business. Off you go now! he casually pulls a farthing from his pocket and tosses it to the copper.

Now then, that little constitutional has got the juices flowing, what! Pierre! rustle me a little light snack from the hamper! Good fellow!

Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

The platform, less busy today no doubt as a consequence of the assemblage within the street outside the gates, required for the 10:30am train to Guildford, stopping at Norton Carchilders your destination, is easily and quickly found. A quick glance at one of the many clocks dotted around the station shows that there are several minutes before the train is due.

As you look around at the quiet station, seemingly low on staff, you see familiar faces arriving, all showing the results of having to make their way through the none too friendly crowd.

As she approaches Mrs Rachel Steele seems hardly flustered by the experience, other than a small, inconsequential bruise above her right eye and a few loose hairs unconstrained by her immaculate hairstyle, she shows little sign of effort. Although the keen eyed observer might note the flash of brass as she swiftly hides something within the pocket of her voluminous overcoat. Behind her carrying a brocade carpet bag and a cane nandled umbrella follows her faithful maidservant, Laura, her youthfull face flushed with excitement.

Also the explorer Jonathan Hornsbee Esq famed far and wide for services to the Royal Society, briar pipe sending clouds of tobacco smoke towards the glass cieling of the station, emerges from a stairway. His gait betraying a slight limp and the knuckles of his right hand grazed and bloodied.

Together they approach the manly figure and gastronomic waistline of the famed Lord Peter Roxborough, so recently credited with saving the capital from the mad plot of the late Sir Alistair Stewart Rochester. Like the others he shows the odd sign of being involved in some form of fisticuffs, yet it seems to have done little to diminish his apetite for in his left hand he holds a huge drumstick which he attacks with relish. Near him a diminutive figure kneels at a large wicker hamper, this would be Pierre, Roxborough's famed French valet and renowned chef.

You had thought to meet the American journalist Nellie Bly, also renowned for her part in the recent Rochester altercation, but it seems she has yet to arrive.
OOC:   The short scene above is meant to be just a little introduction to the Extended Action system. Alas I could make little sense of the way it is presented in the scenario, they seem to put the DR at 2 which as Mr H points out is a little harsh So I reduced the DR to 0, which means any success counts to the total. I may have misread the scenario, in which case the fault is all mine :) (Mr Handy - You were not seeing things I did have a DR written down as 2, but I removed it after reading your post)  
- Anais Nin
Papa Gateau
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Papa Gateau »

Lord Peter Roxborough takes a last bite from the huge drumstick before tossing the denuded bone onto the tracks for the waiting rats. He wipes his fingers with practised ease on a linen napkin quickly proffered by Pierre.

On seeing Mrs Steele he steps over to her, oferring his hand Mrs. Steele, Peter Roxborough. Enchanted to meet you. I met your husband once, fine fellow. Terribly bad business his disappearance, I take it there is no further news as to his possible whereabouts or health? So sorry! Terrible business." he gives a sympathetic smile

Ah look, here comes Hornsbee he waves in the general direction of the explorer, calling out Hornsbee old fellow! How the devil are you? Good to see you again, how long has it been? Four, five years? he shakes the explorer's hand. Have you had the pleasure of making Mrs. Steele's aquaintance? Mrs. Rachel Steel, Mr Johnathon Hornsbee; Mr Johnathon Hornsbee, Mrs. Rachel Steel having made the introductions he looks around the station again, as if expecting to see someone.

He says quietly to himself I wonder where Nellie may be, I hope that rabble out there aren't causing her trouble, the train is due to leave shortly.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rachel Steele.jpg
"Good morning, Lord Roxborough," says Rachel as Laura fastidiously treats the bruise and straightens out her slightly disheveled hair. "Unfortunately, there is no news about Edgar as of yet, but thank you for asking. And well done on thwarting the villainous Sir Alistair Stewart Rochester! I read all about it in Miss Bly's article." She turns to look at Jonathan. "Good morning to you as well, Mr. Hornsbee. It is good to see you again. How have you been?" She returns her attention briefly to Lord Peter. "Mr. Hornsbee and I are already acquainted. He is a friend of the family."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Jonathan emerges from the stairway shaking his head and rubbing his leg. Upon hearing the voice of Lord Peter Roxborough he momentarily forgets the ordeal outside and scans the room. As he looks over at Roxborough his eye's catch sight of Mrs. Rachel Steele and a smile flashes across his face.

He makes his way over to the group shaking Peter's hand while saying, "All things considered I'm doing great, it's so good to see you. It has been five years I believe, though I swear we haven't aged a day." Turning his attention to Rachel he nods at her while taking a pull from his pipe before speaking, "I hope you have been well. I find my thoughts drifting to Edgar on occasion. He is not forgotten." Truth be told there have been quite a few nights where Jonathan has laid in bed wondering if one day whatever fate fell upon Edgar would fall upon him.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, I have been well," says Rachel. "I think of Edgar often too." She sighs. "I miss him terribly, but I'm hopeful that he'll be found one day."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   To allow Carnage_Lee time to begin, yet to maintain forward movement I shall handwave Nellie's arrival  
With the blowing of whistles and equal amounts of steam and smoke, the 10:30 for Guildford comes to a halt at the platform. Seemingly from nowhere a handful of smartly dressed staff appear, many pushing handcarts, and begin the unloading of the carriages.

With the arrival of the train, the quiet solitude of the station erupts into noise and bustle. Yet over the noise can be heard other whistles, raised voices and the sound of horses, it seems the problem in the street outside may have escalated.

As you begin towards the first class carriage that has been reserved for your party, a petite figure steps through the steam. From her attire it is obvious that she is American for her attire bears a cut and style that might seem more at home in the USA than here in London. Behind her, shirt sleeves rolled purposely, stride three of the largest and possibly ugliest lowlifes you have ever seen, one carries a small valise another a leather covered case which by its shape you assume may contain a typewriter

As she reaches you she smiles, a bright smile directed at the suddenly reddening Lord Roxborough, "Peter, it has been a while since we last met. I trust you have been well?" there is an unmistakeable American twang to her accent, east coast probably

Turning she addresses her three attendants, "Put the bags in there boys. Here..." she hands a bright coin to the nearest, "Buy yourselves a drink"
Doffing their caps the three brawny toughs, gap tooth faces alight, move away, "You won't believe the trouble I had getting here. Luckily I was able to gain the aid of those gentlemen"

She turns the smile to the rest of you, "Nellie Bly. Mr Holmes said I would meet you here"

Whistles blow, the Engine starts to build steam and a uniformed guard, his uniform bright with embellishments, unfurls his flag. Your carriage awaits...
- Anais Nin
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

OOC:   With all assembled, and introductions completed, please move to Episode One - THE BLACK SHEEP, to continue the story.  
- Anais Nin
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Nellie Bly

Alighting the cab Nellie frowns at the heaving throng of protesters, reading the banners and listening to the chanting she can't help but feel some sympathy. Still, no matter the apparent merits of their cause the fact remained that she was in a rush and in no mind to offer her support or wait for the inevitable arrival of the vocabulary, who would be intent on dispersing the rioters. Getting through the clamering throng would be bad enough but far more dangerous with the arrival of London's finest intent on cracking skulls and causing their own brand of sanctioned violence.

After some quick negotiations with a nervous looking porter, who agreed to load her small trunk on his cart and follow.

Nellie manages to safely navigate the outskirts of the boisterous demonstration, at first a few deft nudges with her oversized carpet bag or prod with her 'brolly' were enough to dissuade people to let her pass unmolested.

Suddonly a dense knot of angry looking men were swarming around her, quick as a flash Nellie started shouting the slogans, aping the angry men around her, pulling the porter along in her wake she started to press through the throng.
OOC:   Using con to advance through the station.

Round #1[dice]0[/dice]
Round #2 [dice]1[/dice]
Round #3 [dice]2[/dice]  

Return to “The Dreaming Spires”