Dissonance

Keepers post here to advertise openings in your game.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Dissonance

Post by OathinBlood »

November 21st, 2007. The Change rips the foundation of humanity apart, stripping away the false facade of civilization and bearing the true primal soul of humanity for all to see...

Dissonance will take place in modern day Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It follows the lives of everyday people, going about their everyday lives, until the afternoon of November 21st, 2007. An apocalyptic event occurs then, which is afterward known as the Change. I would like to keep the nature of this event secretive, since I feel it will help you, as a player, connect more with your character when you are playing. I assure you that this apocalypse will be unique. As far as I know, there have been no movies, games, or books based upon this scenario, save the trilogy of books that inspired this - S.M. Stirling's Emberverse trilogy, though I don't recommend looking it up if you plan to be a player in the game. If you just plan to observe the game, or want to know the nature of the apocalypse before you play, go ahead and look it up. I also highly recommend reading the series, as they're among my favourite books.

The game will not have a set goal to achieve, like a scenario or a story. Rather, it will be a story woven by your character's reactions, through a world in plight - similar to Welsh's and Mr. Handy's Zombie Apocalypse, or Laraqua's Ash. This kind of game will have the capacity to continue on for long amounts of time, both in game and out. As for commitment, I'd like at least a post a day, though if your character is alone, this will become a lot more flexible, since you don't have to worry about holding other players back.

A warning - Dissonance does not actually contain any Mythos elements, instead leaning heavily on the themes of civilization under threat and the risks of a scientific era evident in a lot of his work, including the Cthulhu Mythos. It uses the BRP system (w/ Hit Locations taken from Runequest) and has a lot of Lovecraftian influence in it, so I think that as a Mythos fan, you should enjoy this nonetheless.

If you are interested, you can either create a character, or request a pre-generated one. If you do create a character, please leave out SAN - I know that's one of the unique aspects of Call of Cthulhu, but it's not as necessary in Dissonance. That doesn't mean that insanity isn't a threat - it still is - but it won't be brought on rapidly by horrors from the stars, instead creeping up slowly like it does in long-term stressful situations. Also, due to the potentially high death rate - it is an apocalyptic scenario - you are allowed to possess up to three characters at any given time. Feel free to add skills too, like Ride Bicycle or such, as long as they make sense. If you're not sure, PM me.

As always, if you have questions or comments, post them here or PM me. We already have two players (Mr. Handy & Kabukiman), and will be started as soon as my requested forum is present.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Dissonance

Post by OathinBlood »

So we have our forum up and running now. I'll make some topics today, post the character sheets, and get the game started tomorrow. Hopefully, once play starts for Kabukiman and Mr. Handy, some of you will be tempted to play.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

I've decided to use the most intricate, but still familiar, combat system from Elric!. It won't require much effort on the player's parts - just treat it like you would combat in CoC - combat is still quick, brutal, and nasty, and something to be avoided at all costs. It just has more rules for armor and parrying and the like, something I think this campaign will call for.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

That's also BRP, right? Works for me. My character Cathy Saunders isn't all that bad at combat - decades of stunt work have given her ample training in unarmed combat as well as basic firearms training. Still, she'd definitely avoid combat if there's any choice.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Mmhmm. Combat is pretty much bad for all parties involved in it, unless it's the only alternative to an even deadlier choice. Anyways, the threads should be up tonight or tomorrow. ;)
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Hi...

I just bailed on a game that seems to have lost its GM ... so that frees me up for another game, and this one looks like a winner. I'm not too clear on the game system, so if you'll have me, I'd like to take a pregen character.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Sure! The system's BRP as normal, with the combat system stolen from another BRP game, called Elric! And using a Hit Location system from another BRP game, Runequest. So it's CoC as normal, with a combat system pieced together from two other BRP games, though you require no knowledge of that.

If you still want a pre-gen, tell me what type you want - or if you don't really care, I'll do a random one. ;)
ImpInTraining
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by ImpInTraining »

Oh hell, I'm easy. Just give me something you think will be needed / useful.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by kabukiman »

I have the pictures to my characters, how do i edit them?
mikc
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by mikc »

Hi there!
sounds cool! Count me in! As for Character, I couldn`t express it better than this:
ImpInTraining wrote:Oh hell, I'm easy. Just give me something you think will be needed / useful.
Cheers, Mik
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Great! Two pre-gens, coming up!

Also Kabukiman, PM them to me, I'll edit them in.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Right, pre-gens are up. Pick and choose, first to call, first to get. We have a trilingual hobo, skilled surgeon, and a new age author/Wiccan priest. All guys - two are white, the surgeon is black.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Decrepit »

Are you still looking for folks? I'm in two games, both Raiko's, but I'm intrigued by your premise. No worries if you're full.
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper

Post by DSIGFUSS »

A game in Vancouver... So in.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Great! The amount of Vancouverites, or BCites at least, on this board is insane. Roll up a char or ask me for a pre-gen, and I'll get you started.
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

If you were including me, despite my lack of Vancouverness :) , I'd prefer a pregen. If you're getting too many, no problem.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Sure! How about a genius software programmer/amateur hacker?
Decrepit
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Decrepit »

OathinBlood wrote:Sure! How about a genius software programmer/amateur hacker?
Hmm. Not sure I know anything much about either, but perhaps that's not an impediment. ;) If not, sure.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper

Post by OathinBlood »

Definitely not. Definitely. You'll see when I put you in the game, which should be either tonight or tomorrow.
Mr Zombie killer
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Mr Zombie killer »

i am interested in playing this game. what would I need to do to get a character?
Conquer your fear, and I promise you, you will conquer death

Return to “Existing Games Looking For Players”