Recruitment: Beyond the Mountains of Madness, BRP, 1930s

Keepers post here to advertise openings in your game.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Recruitment: Beyond the Mountains of Madness, BRP, 1930s

Post by Raiko »

I have edited this post to contain more relevent information:

BEYOND THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS

In September of 1930, researchers from Arkham’s Miskatonic University, led by Professors Dyer and Lake, set sail for the Antarctic continent on a bold venture of exploration and discovery.

Two months later they landed in Antarctica near Ross Island; twenty men, fifty-five dogs, and five large Dornier aeroplanes were set upon the ice. Their mission was to survey a geologic history of the Earth’s last frontier, to chart from the air where no human foot had stepped, and to determine at last, once and for all, whether Antarctica was indeed one land mass or several.

In much of this they were successful. From November of 1930 until mid-January of 1931, the expedition achieved goal after goal, milestone after milestone. Aerial explorations flew over and mapped thousands of square miles of previously unexplored territory. Sled teams took core samples from scattered spots over nearly a quarter of the continent.

However, history does not remember the Miskatonic Expedition for its successes, but for its final tragic failure…

The end of the expedition came just as the team seemed on the brink of their most spectacular triumph. On January 23rd, a large party led by Professor Lake, broke through into an unbelievable treasure-trove of ancient bones and fossils in a series of caverns at the foot of a hitherto-unknown mountain range. For 2 days, they explored the caves, bringing up specimen after specimen, some utterly unlike any living things that have ever been studied by science.

They were never heard from again.

On the afternoon of January 24th, a tremendous Antarctic gale swept through the campsite, killing every man in Lake’s party and scattering his samples, notes, and equipment beyond recovery. A rescue mission the following day found only silence, useless scraps of machinery, and a few pathetic remains of the tragedy. None of the men at Lake’s camp ever returned home. The rest of the expedition retreated north a few days later.

Now, in March 1933, a new expedition is forming, intent upon a return to that forbidding Antarctic plateau and Lake’s campsite.
British world explorer James Starkweather and American geologist William Moore have joined forces to attack the Antarctic. The two men have experience with harsh environments, both having travelled in the Himalayas, and Starkweather on the Arctic ice cap as well. Their stated goal is to return to the high, cold interior of the Antarctic continent and to finish the work that Lake and the other began three years ago. The two are gathering a team of scientists and technical experts whom they believe will allow them to succeed despite the dangers.

Number of Players: 10.
Recruitment is now closed - I have 10-12 players already :?, but any additional submissions will go into a "reserve list." :)

Character Submission Deadline: Midnight 22nd June (British Summer Time (GMT+1))

Particularly Relevent Character Types:
The expedition leaders are especially interested in recruiting the following:
- Polar Explorers, Guides, and Mountaineers
- Scientists and Researchers (especially Glaciologists, Geologists & Paleontologists)
- Pilots (the expedition will make extensive use of aircraft)
- Mechanical & Electrical Engineers

Other careers & skills useful to the expedition are:
Photographers, Journalists, Doctors, Cartographers, Dog Handlers, Sled Drivers, Mining Engineers, Outfitters, and Radio Engineers.

Alternatively a "donation" to Starkweather of at least $1000 will buy a place on the expedition, regardless of lack of skills (this donation will need to be at least $2000 for female investigators).

Special Character Generation Rules:
Rather than rolling your attributes, please spend 110 points between attributes distributed as you see fit. Then modify for age and occupation as normal.

Please submit your character in the format shown below.

Please Reading Before Submitting!
This is obviously going to need to be a very long running game. I am hoping to get through approx one chapter per month, but there are 17 chapters, plus a prologue and an epilogue. So even if I stay on schedule the campaign will last at least 18 months.

I will normally be posting daily weekdays (mon-fri), and intermittently at weekends (I will always try to respond to player posts at weekend though).

I am only looking for players who feel they can handle both the posting rate and the length of this campaign.

My only other requirement is that players have not read, or played in, the campaign before.
I don't mind whether you have read “At the Mountains of Madness” though.

If you are interested please either post here, or email me, my email is raiko(at)cthulhu1933(dot)co(dot)uk.
Character Name wrote: Name:
Sex:
College, Degrees:
Birthplace:

Yearly Income & Propriety

Appearance & Personality
A picture could be added, off course. There are plenty of pretty good ones, CoC oriented, here.

Background
If there are any, a detailed inventory of the countries already visited.

Characteristics

STR
CON
SIZ
DEX
APP
INT , Idea
POW , Luck/SAN
EDU , Know

Sanity:
current Sanity:
phobias/mental disorders:

Hit Points:
current Hit Points:
Magic Points:
current Magic Points:
Damage Bonus:

Skills: (professional one in italics, .private preceded by a dot; non-base scores bolded)

Accounting (10%):
Aircraft Maintenance (05%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Block (DEX x2):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX×2):
Drive Auto (20%):
Drive Dog Sled (20%):
Electr. Repair (10%):
Explosives (01%):
Fast Talk (05%):
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith 01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mech. Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Meterology (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Opr. Hvy. Mch. (01%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Language (EDU×5%):
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Polar Survival (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Radio Operator (01%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Grapple (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

I've modified the above slightly to match the Character Sheet from BtMoM.
New skills are in green. These skills can be substituted for professional skills where relevent (I'll let you decide), or can be taken as interests.

Here are brief descriptions of the new skills:

Aircraft Maintenance - Preparing aircraft & aircraft engines for flight, and securing the machines correctly after the flight.

Block - Use of improvised objects to defend against physical attack.

Drive Dog sled - Driving the sleds, caring for and training the dog teams

Explosives - Storage, transport and use of common commersial explosives.

Meteorology - Forcast the weather, knowledge of wind chill, etc.

Polar Survival - Survival in polar regions, and at high altitude. Also knowledge of the behavior of materials at sub-zero temperatures

Radio Operator - Short-wave band transmission & reception, construction & repair of radio equipment.
Last edited by Raiko on Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:26 am, edited 15 times in total.
PrBatblind
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Good luck!

Post by PrBatblind »

Hi Raiko,

Good luck for what promises indeed to be a looong PbP campaign.
You understood that I already play it as a character on Manur's excellent forum. A wonderful experience, extremely detailed, mastered by a brilliant keeper and rather good writers players.

I’m gonna send Manur a PM so that he takes a look at this thread: he made a lot of background job, and probably has already read a few campaign diaries. There is notably an English one, written by another Frenchie, Dr. Christian Lehmann, which I know is available on yog.sothoth.com. – and here I can’t tell you more, of course, for I difficultly prevented my reading it.

I hope you’ll find the players you need: go on guys, it’s gooood!
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

I would be tempted to join, but I fear there is little time at present. Give me a few months however.

This is a wonderful idea though. Good luck with it.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I've started a thread on the main Yog-Sothoth forums seeking advice, the link is here. Please stay out if that thread if you are planning on joining the game.

PrBatblind, thanks for the help and the good luck message, I've read a few journals & dairies about the campaign, but haven't come across that one before. I'm looking forward to hearing from Manur. :)

Welsh, I hope you find the time from somewhere, so I said it will be at least one month before I'm ready to start.
I'm pretty familiar with the campaign, but I've never actually run it before, so I'm reading through it one more time before starting the game.
andyj23uk
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by andyj23uk »

hi -- its aounds a cool campaign -- i never got chance to play when my table top gang made a total hash of it , so if there is still a slot , count me in please :)

i wil have to figure out a charac idea -- but that wont be a problem
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Andy there are still slots available, I've currently got 3 players who are definitely submitting, and another 2 or 3 who'll probably submit. So there are at least 4 slots still available. :)

It's not going to be first-come-first-served anyway, so take your time building a character you're happy with. Providing I stay on schedule with my reading & preparation I will be accepting character submissions up to the 22nd June, two days before I'm hoping to start the game.

I'm planning on editing the first post on this thread within the next day, so that it has better submission guidelines.

For now here are some quick guidelines / rules:

1: Rather than rolling attributes, please spend 100 points as you see fit, then make adjustments due to aging as normal.

2: The following investigator occupations are especially desired by the expedition leaders;

Polar Explorers & Guides, and Mountaineers
Pilots (the expedition will make extensive use of aircraft)
Scientists & Researchers (especially Glaciologists, Geologists & Paleontologists)
Mechanical & Electrical Engineers

Other useful careers include such things as Photographers, Journalists, Doctors, Cartographers, etc.

Even if a character has no useful skills at all, they can still join the expedition by donating at least $1000 ($2000 for females).

3: I would prefer character submissions using the format given above, you can either post here, or PM them to me.

4: You should only submit if you think you're prepared to stick with it; the campaign is very long. I'll normally post at least once every weekday (mon-fri), and I'll try to respond to player posts at weekends. I'll expect players to post most days mon-fri. This should keep the game moving fast enough.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Welsh made this comment in another thread, I’ve posted my answer here as it’s important that players in the campaign understand my play style, and the reasons for it.
Welsh wrote: Raiko, that's a pretty fast pace. I have something like 18 pages of play by post and we are only up to the afternoon of the first day!

Yeah I’m planning on running the game in a style that some gm have used for Shadowrun on dumpshock, and that I’ve used in pbp D20 campaign for my regular tabletop players. In both cases it has allowed a lot of ground to be covered, without taking months of real time.

Basically I’m hoping to keep driving along the story at the required pace, setting OOC deadlines where necessary. Although this may take some getting used to, and I expect to overrun my schedule at times, particularly for the prologue and chapter 1, I feel that having the story moving “relentlessly” forward will add considerably to the atmosphere once the expedition reaches the ice, and the real horror story begins to unfold.

It’s also the only way that I can ever see the campaign being completed in a play-by-post format; the expedition only reaches the Ross Ice Shelf in chapter 7, so even if I stay on schedule that’s seven months play just getting there!

BTW I have now updated the first post in this thread to contain better information about this adventure.
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

An excellent idea. The GM really has to keep the pace moving forward and keep the momentum up. More momentum, more excitement and more play.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
GaryTheNerd
Layman
Layman

Post by GaryTheNerd »

I would also be interested in joining up. I've been wanting to play this campaign for a while now.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Welcome aboard Gary, I hope I make a good job of the campaign for you. :)

As I've said previously please take your time building a character that you're happy playing, I don't need them until the 22nd.

Having said that it would probably be a good idea for people to post their character's career / area of expertise (so that we don't end up with 10 pilots or something)
GaryTheNerd
Layman
Layman

Post by GaryTheNerd »

I'll play a doctor.

Raiko, I PMed you my character sheet. I made him using 6th ed. rules, will that work?
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I've got your PM, nice character :)

As far as I know there are only cosmetic differences between 5.5 & 6th edition, no rule changes.
Shadow
Layman
Layman

Post by Shadow »

I am making a pilot/guide who usually operates out of nepal. She's the daughter of a WWI flying ace who ended his career there. Her name is Kitt Knight.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I have added the new skills from BtMoM to the "character template" in the first post, the new skills are all green.

Brief descriptions of the skills are below the template.

The new skills can be taken as interests, or if you think they are relevent to your background/occupation they can replace professional skills (eg Polar Survival for Mountaineers). I'm happy for you to decide for yourselves if a skill is relevant for you. :)

Training in various skills (including these new ones) will also be provided on the long voyage south.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have currently got nine people who have said they'd like to play.

I have the following 5 character concepts or submissions.

GaryTheNerd: Medical Doctor - Clark Michaels (submitted)
Shadow: Pilot / Guide - Kitt Knight
Ghost_1971: Explorer / Mountaineer (submitted)
OrionUK: Dilettante - James Arthur Seymour (submitted)
No User ID Yet: Professor (History/Anthopology/Paleontology) - Charles Graves

It's no problem if anyone wants to submit a character type that is already "taken" - this is a large expedition.
Last edited by Raiko on Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OrionUK
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by OrionUK »

Hi Raiko,

The Dilettante is named James Arthur Seymour. If you need to discuss any of the charactor skills etc from the sheet you have let me know.

Thanks
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Thanks,

I've edited my earlier post. :)
Maxim
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Maxim »

I've never been able to play or run a long campaign before, but I'd really like to. If there's still room, I'm interested.

EDIT: If there is room, just tell me and I'll send a character sheet to you, Raiko.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

There is definitely at least one more place available. :)
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Here is the current situation with character concepts & submissions:

GaryTheNerd: Medical Doctor - Clark Michaels (submitted)
Shadow: Pilot / Guide - Kitt Knight
Ghost_1971: Explorer / Mountaineer (submitted)
OrionUK: Dilettante - James Arthur Seymour (submitted)
Charles Graves: Professor (History/Anthopology/Paleontology) - Charles Graves
No User ID Yet: Journalist
Maxim: Professor (Geology/Glaciology) - Joseph Eidowsky (submitted)
Steerpike: Pilot / Flight Engineer - William McRaven (submitted)

2 Other people have also asked to be in the game:
andyj23uk, and one person with no user id yet.
Last edited by Raiko on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I have updated the above character list again. :)

Return to “Existing Games Looking For Players”