Characters for the Lure

Keepers post here to advertise openings in your game.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Re: Characters for the Lure

Post by kabukiman »

Usually allowing each player having 2 or 3 characters is a good way to get kill them; the players are much less cautions (like in the game paranoia with the clones).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that's what we do in Zombie Apocalypse. Everyone gets three characters (though some players picked four), and it also removes some of the sting when one dies. Players can then choose replacement characters from the available NPCs. I still don't get careless with my characters even when I'm playing more than one, such as when I was a player in Zombie Apocalypse and in Ash. I may take risks, but not unnecessary ones.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

You trusted Cael. That was an unnecessary risk! :D Poor Sarah has watched far too many zombie movies. The military aren't always to be mistrusted!
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I couldn't bloody help falling in love, now could I? *sigh* Why do I always fall for the bad boy?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SuAside
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by SuAside »

Mr. Handy wrote:Yes, that's what we do in Zombie Apocalypse. Everyone gets three characters (though some players picked four), and it also removes some of the sting when one dies.
haha, tell that to the man who lost his lead char because he died from a beer keg to the chest! :?

that was almost Final Destination stuff right there ;)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Well, I did say it removes "some" of the sting. ;) Of course if your favorite character dies it's going to hurt a lot more. If anyone wants to join Zombie Apocalypse, Chapter 3 is going to be starting in a couple of months or so. We'll be adding new characters, and no prior experience is required. I made a new post describing it in the Non-Play@Y-S forum here (though we are considering moving it to this site if new players want): http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=96
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Well, i am interested in that campaign, so don't forget me when chapter 3 will start.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I won't forget you, and thanks for your interest. Chapter 3 should be starting in a couple of months, and it is moving here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Ok, i will be waiting! :)
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by welsh »

I was thinking on this today.

The reason why few have died, and those who have died have either been characters without players or NPCs, has been because this campaign has a teleological end. The campaign is meant as prelude to a number of CoC's major campaigns- Masks of Narly among them. Some of the characters we have met and some of the references are to things that culminate in those campaigns. That is not to say that there are no fiendish plots afoot. Only that these fiendish plots occurred before players would get to Masks.

Also this campaign was design as a stop-gap measure for its original keeper, who disappeared mysteriously and has not been heard from since. The idea was that the campaign would eventually resume. At present, I am fairly confident he won't come back and am likely to use his seeds to plant new life into the campaign.

Finally, I don't like to kill of players. I would rather have them go insane or have their sanity tested.
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal
Piano man
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Piano man »

You may not like to kill players, but you sure like to make them squirm.
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Good point.

Killing a person is a tragic and violent thing.

But there is a world of difference between having a person's head chopped off with the strike of the executioner's axe compared against the prospect of being buried alive in a wooden box and then listening as insects gnaw their way into the box and slowly begins to consume your skin despite your protestations. For the axe victim their is the big question of "is there life after death and how much pain will I feel." For the person being consumed slowly by insects, there is no room for rational thought.

As Hitchcock once stated, There is no terror in a bang, only in the anticipation of it.

Consider for instance the opening scene in Touch of Evil in which you watch a car cross the border of a busy town with a bomb in the back, and you're never quite sure when the bomb will explode. Wonderful.

But horror, I think, is fundamentally an existential experience. The piercing of the body as a container of precious fluids is bad enough. But when the person watching empathizes with the body being pierced, that makes a person squirm. When the person has no control over that experience, where they can feel the piercing and can do little to stop it- that squirm, that's horror. Horror is fundamentally psychological.

I think this is the problem for Lovecraft's fiction or for those that have mimicked him. It's one thing to do supernatural fiction- but supernatural isn't inherently horrible or horror- just supernatural/ magical. To replace one world view of religion with another is just agnosticism. To suggest that this world doesn't care about you, or if it does, only to consume you- now you are getting somewhere. Add an element- make the person feel it.

- Anonymous Cannibal
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

A couple of characters are available- a new character woudl be a private investigator. Another would replace Henrik for Charlie or Edward.

- Anonymous Cannibal
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

Lure is shutting down for a month. We'll be back in January.

When we return we will find out more about- the secret of mirrors, the divided city, the plots of Russians, the corpse in the desert, the secret journal, the disappearance of Max Rich, and other mysteries.

- Anonymous Cannibal
PincRmovement
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by PincRmovement »

Id like to join in ... take any of the charcters availble.

PincR
Airbornexo
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by Airbornexo »

If there are any spaces left I should like to join.

Cheers, Hal
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by welsh »

After a month off, its closing on a new day on the Lure. The plot thickens! As part of the mystery begins to make sense, other challenges have arisen, making the investigation more complex. At the same time dangerous forces have been awaken and are beginning to challenge the investigators.

Are you ready for a new day on the Lure?

- Anonymous Cannibal

Return to “Existing Games Looking For Players”