Ash - Always Available

Keepers post here to advertise openings in your game.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Ash - Always Available

Post by Laraqua »

I'm not actively hunting for new players, however, I'm willing to take more onboard if anyone wants to give it a go. It's moderately rules-lite and rolls tend to be made discreetly by me. It's a good game for beginners because of this and because of the ability to set one's own pace, though if pace is to slow down somewhat or someone wants to post with greater frequency, it's best to alert me to this.

I'd rather not run new characters through preludes though at this moment I am willing to consider it as the game isn't fully underway. At this point, it's best for anyone who wants to play to take on a character that's already been mentioned, however briefly. Now, this might seem unusually restrictive but I'm pretty open on character personalities, particularly now.

For example...

We have Geoff, the paramedic, who aside from his name, job and current fragile state of mind, is virtually a blank state. Of course, he's from a different hospital, so no one really knows him and now his only other paramedic is gone. But maybe you don't want to play a paramedic, maybe you want to play a con artist? Well, think of twisting Geoff to the con artist template. Perhaps he stole the ambulance. Perhaps he foresaw what would come to pass, and posed as a paramedic so he could have someplace safe to hide.

There are also plenty of blank slate children in the Children's Ward and an unconscious man in the ambulance.

There's a man and an adolescent boy who's been drawn into the dispencry by two other players. Both are on IV tubes, or are they? What's to stop the older man stealing an IV tube off someone else, pretending to connect it to himself, and all that merely to gain sympathy and official help. He might have no further secrets other than that he's a bit of a meanie.

The most developed and restrictive NPC, a pregnant apparently deaf mute French woman may also not be what she seems. Perhaps her mind broke a little when what happened happened and so she doesn't trust him enough to speak to him. She forces him to jump through hoops to speak to her because this allows her the time to formulate her responses. She might not even be pregnant. She could be a paranoid schizophrenic. She could just have an extremely large stomach tumor. Or perhaps she wasn't pregnant before entering the hospital... That might be traumatic enough.

Personalities can dramatically change under pressure, not only because a person is changing, but also because changing experiences bring new angles to light - that apparently shy guy might be confidant in his rock climbing skills but not socially - or simply that old issues become less important - why bother being shy anymore when the world's gone to hell?

So basically, so long as you can find a way to keep the NPC in some way consistent with the past details revealed, you can adapt, alter and re-create the characters to an extraordinary degree. What's heard may not be true, what's seen might not be quite right. In some ways, I'm hoping, a great degree of creativity can be seen in customising existing NPCs (and reducing my NPC list).

I know playing pre-fabricated characters can be a turn-off to many. I promise that what I'm offering isn't that. There are parameters set, sometimes as simple as age, sometimes more complicated. It's up to you what you want to do with that.

If you decide to join, of course.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
trixie
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Re: Ash - Always Available

Post by trixie »

Well....my arm could be twisted quite easily :lol:

Would be interested in taking over a npc....I prefer female characters but the french lady is a bit intimidating with her restrictions. If there is a child character that is somewhere about 8-15 or so, I'd prefer to play her. Hopefully they are significant to the plot in someway.
Trixie [trik-see] (n) : Name derived from an original character played on Yog
Def: One who loves chit chat threads and dramatic roleplaying moments
Wrl101
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Wrl101 »

In the case of the NPCs, have stats and backgrounds already been created or would it be up to the player to take the template and roll up some attributes and set skills as they please?
Tan
Layman
Layman

Post by Tan »

Salutations. Would there perhaps be any room in this game for a complete newbie? I would be interested in playing an npc, if that were required. :D
"Dear, the whole world is crazy except for thee and me. Sometimes, however, I wonder about thee." - Grandmother Tangerine.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Trixie, there is a child in the Children's Ward, a girl, who has just woken up. I haven't specified anything else although I have got descriptions of a few children from that ward earlier on in the Children's Ward thread if you'd like to read it and select a previously mentioned description (which is pretty vague and largely revolves around their illness). Pretty much, that character is a blank state. All she knows, is that she's woken up, there's two people in a very dark room with a torch - Jill she knows as the woman who reads to the kids, Jason she'd only know if she's been in and out of that ward, or in it, for quite some time. She's been sedated so bear that in mind but it's wearing off fast.

Wrl101, no NPC has a set character sheet. I've no idea how long they'll last so I've never bothered. Aside from what is specifically mentioned in the game - say, if the paramedic, Geoff, picks a lock, you should put a few skills into that, even if very few (coulda been a lucky roll) - and skills haven't really been used by any of the characters. If you'd like, I can build one up for you.

Tan, complete newbies are more than welcome. This is a good testing ground for players. If you make a few unrealistic moves, it could all be left to the stress of the moment. You also don't need to be a mystery sleuth. It can help - there are mysteries to solve - but merely the quest to survive can take up your character's time. You don't really need to worry about rules, I largely roll for you though I usually don't unless I'm umming and ahhing about whether you're likely to know it or not. I'm also quite willing to listen to questions and queries so email me as frequently as you like.

The main issue is how frequently you can post. Now, this can be any frequency you so desire. I don't care if you only wanna post once a month, once a week, once a day, as often as possible, so long as you're upfront on it, or keep me posted if things get busy - though if you're on your own in a solo thread it doesn't matter so much to keep me posted. Basically, I just wanna match people to posting frequency so everyone can enjoy it without feeling too rushed or too slowed down. If you're unsure, that's fine. I can easily split you from the others if you find their frequency isn't to your liking.

You can either search the threads for a potentially good character, or give me an update on what you would like to play and I give you some ideas of who could fit that bill. Remember, even with current NPCs, what you see isn't always what you get. So long as it's consistent, I don't care if the previous NPC ends up being completely different then I envisioned.

Basically, I just wanna offload these NPCs! There's too many. Damn heroic player characters have kept too many safe!

Children are open ground though I suggest Hide or Sneak. Kids and adolescents can be good at both and both can be quite handy. Other things, even things like Climb or Jump, can also be quite handy. Basically, there is no redundant skill. Library Use, Computer Use, even Drive could be handy.

This game is designed around the hospital but if some people find a way to leave it, I'm cool with that. And then, anything could be handy.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Wrl101
Layman
Layman

Post by Wrl101 »

Well, if its all okay with you, I think I'll play as Geoff then. I certainly don't mind building up a character sheet and I'll try to get one done by this evening if that suits. I look forward to taking part. :)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

No problem. Geoff is a pretty solid character for this kinda game, just because of his career skills. Also, here's an option - deduct 5 sanity points (hence his freak-out) but he gains 5 Cthulhu Mythos points due to what he saw when barrelling along in the ambulance. This is a choice, though. He might not have stared out that rear window...

I'm considering having someone start out in that graffitti-filled toilet mentioned in Paradys&Oathinbloods thread, first page. One restriction being that your character MUST have had a good reason to spend a fair amount of time in there - diarhoea, nervous breakdown, needed a cry, hiding from an irritating ex - and must have been listening to loud music, perhaps an iPod or using a gameboy with headphones on. Basically, this is a no-fuss (for me) way of allowing a completely new character. I might even allow a second character to be unconscious in the other toilet stall (how atmospheric!). I just don't wanna work out a way to get people into a safe place! This way, you happen to accidentally get stuck in safety.

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Also, three players indicating attention so soon?

I feel loved! :lol:

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by DSIGFUSS »

Any more room? I like to play dynamic characters as you might already know. Has anybody claimed the dood in the ambulance yet? I'd play another character too if you have any available. Or make one out. How bout Hospital Security? Or a Candy Striper? Or a self help happy sunshine dood who comes to the hospital to play his guitar and sing to Children in the burn unit (he'd also have a puppet). Or a coma patient from the 60's who just wakes up from a bad acid trip?

Maybe.....
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Hmm, well, right now I want new characters to be tossed straight into it rather than trying to come up with reasons to seal them off.

A security person in a security room is interesting enough that I'd be willing to allow it anyway.

A coma patient is minimum fuss so I'm cool with that. You just wake up in what's happening.

Other than that, any character could end up in the whole toilet scenario so long as he's taking a long shit and has an iPod - or if he's just distraught at the moment, which can easily happen with hospital death or if he's staff, he mighta been fired.

What is a candy striper anyway? A druggie?

Well, there is always that unconscious guy who had an overdose whose in the ambulance though the paramedic has been taken.

If you wanna go for a different angle, you could go for the bizarre administrator from the Kinginyellow's thread or even the very crazy Doctor Bernard Scott from waferthinninja.

DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by DSIGFUSS »

A candy striper is one of those girls that help out in the hospital. Traditionally in the fifties they wore red striped uniforms or something like that. That's why they are called candy stripers.

Do I need to make a character? Or do you want to just toss me in? If I need to make a character. Get me started and I'll plow through it by tommorrow. I have no idea what's going on in your game which I find is always the most fun. Just throw me in. I like the idea of being on the can the whole time, maybe listening to the "mini pops" and pysching myself up for my big show for the kids. How long have things been going crazy in the hospital for anyways?

Meet Mathew.....

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

So far? Between 0 and 15 minutes. We'll start you off at about 15 minutes into it. You create a character sheet but I'll just throw you in even before you're done most likely. I will need a name, however.

AdversusVeritas
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by AdversusVeritas »

I just got through reading most of the posts in your game, and I'd love to join in and play the unconcious man in the ambulance if there is still room. One of the EMTs said that he had apparently been poisoned, right?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Yup. That works.

Piano man
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Piano man »

Any room for an anal rententive Janitor that is scared of filth. Or maybe the guy in the ambulance. I'm open to suggestions if your looking for someone still.
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live
Seppuku
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Seppuku »

I would love to join your game. I am new to the paper and pen rpg , but I will learn fast. I am so tired of RPG video games, and how brainless they are. I would like to use a character of my own. His name is Mark Thatcher.
Last edited by Seppuku on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it.'”
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

We've already had the guy in the toilet but I'm willing to have your criminal enter in. How about someone in the in-construction cafe by the hospital? Or in the car park or road heading in? The car could have sealed itself off as it rusted.

Unfortunately, I think you've given me a D20 modern sheet and for convenience's sake, we deal in BRP. I can talk you through it later. Just send me a background for your character and a fun starting point and we can begin.

Seppuku
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Seppuku »

Mark was in the Parking garage next to the hospital skulking from car to car keeping out of view of the cameras. He slides up beside a black BMW with vanity plates which read DRFELGD. Perfect thought Mark I will have this pompous ass's car to the chop shop and a few grand in my pocket in no time. Mark pulls his Thieve's tools from the front pocket of his hooded sweatshirt. a quick dip under the car and the alarm wires are cut. 5 seconds later Mark pops open the drivers side door, and slithers into the seat. Just then Mark hears someone whistling a tune. He quietly shuts the car door and slinks down in the seat. Luckily the doctor has illegal tint making it a realtively safe hiding spot. A few minutes later after Mark watches the portly security guard wander off. He sits back up in the seat and peers out across the street at the Theatre...

(Sorry I havent been able to find any of your storyline. I think it wil be fun to just jump in all of a sudden... I am guessing the BRP is the classic 100 sided dye system? If not I'll re-re-roll tomorrow, but I am going to make a character with the basic guide I downloaded off of the Cthulhu webpage.)
Last edited by Seppuku on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it.'”
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

New gameplay arena boys and girls. The cinemaplex across the road from the hospital. At it was about four pm when bad stuff happens, it'd be fairly empty. Those who wanna come in may bring in new characters there. For those wanting to be in the hospital, there's always the myriad of unnamed children still alive there, along with NPCs.

lizzie23
Layman
Layman

Post by lizzie23 »

((OOC: Hello, I'd like to join in. I also have no idea what's going on, Seppuku has been helping me out the entire time.))

Quietly, the young woman pauses in the lobby of the cinema. She'd just walked in a few moments ago. Peeving to herself about the lack of tickets. She'd just spent good money driving all the way here, all that time in line. . . For what? A muttered "Sorry," and shoved out of the way. She'd wanted to see the new movie, oh well. Elizabeth sighs, breath misting on the window like a soft white cloud, rising just as steam would. Of course you couldn't have expected better. The writer muses to herself. Fresh out of a four-year college, lucky with a doctorate, she was looking for a job as well. Liz just wants to write for the paper or something. Something to put food in her stomach. What else could she ask for? Shoving gloved hands unceremoniously into her suede jacket's pockets. Cool weather is always welcome as it kisses her cheeks. She looks back and forth, striding out of the theater, only to pause. The lot was not this empty when I entered fifteen minutes ago. . .

Return to “Existing Games Looking For Players”