Masks of Nyarlathotep

Keepers post here to advertise openings in your game.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Masks of Nyarlathotep

Post by Raiko »

Due to my Masks game stalling for so long (before it even really got going!), I've had a couple of players drop out.

The game is now moving along nicely, so I'd like to recruit a single player to take over running one of the absent players' investigators. The adventure is still currently at an early enough stage that it shouldn't be too difficult to catch up with the posts, and it's also early enough that you'd be able to tweak the investigator a little to make them your own, without the changes being noticeable in terms of the story.

My previous attempt to run Masks of Nyarlathotep on these forums ran for a few years and reach over 6000 posts, so I am confident that this game will stay on track now that I've got things moving again.

You have a choice of James Marko a Private Detective,previously played by CrackheadC or Dayton Lomax "DL" Williams a Former Minor League Baseball Player, previously played by Job.

I'm only replacing one player, so the other investigator will be retired from the party at the first point that it makes sense in the story. That will leave eight active players / investigators.

I would the player to catch up on the events of the Chapter One IC thread at least, and preferably also the Prologue IC thread

If you want to make changes to the investigators background or skills, then I'd like you to do that within the first few days of taking them over. Finally, at this stage I'm only interested in players who would be genuinely happy to take over one of these existing investigator for the long haul, rather than creating a character from scratch.

CrackheadC. wrote:Image

Name: James Marko
Player: CrackheadC.
Sex: Male
College, Degrees: School of Hard Knocks
Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York, USA

Characteristics:
STR 14
CON 13
SIZ 15
DEX 9
APP 8
INT 13 (Idea - 65)
POW 11 (Luck - 55 )
EDU: 11 (Know -55 )

Sanity: 55
Current Sanity: 55
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None

Hit Points: 14
Current Hit Points: 14
Magic Points: 11
Current Magic Points: 11
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Appearance & Personality: James is a big guy with a number of scars and a weathered look. He keeps in decent shape, but has been hitting the bottle more than the gym lately. Personality-wise James is an affable guy, easy to get along with and generally a rock when things get tough.

Background: James Marko grew up poor in Brooklyn. He left school early to start working on the docks to help support his family. There he did a little bare-knuckle boxing to earn an extra buck or two. James saw a lot of crime on the docks, but that wasn't his bag - he wanted to help make things better and not worse. He was on the force only three years before he left and became a PI. He couldn't stand the bribes and kickbacks - he wanted to get paid to do his job, not paid to look the other way. He enjoyed his PI work well enough, even had a strange case once in a while. Like when his good friend Jackson Elias came to him looking for help investigating a death cult for a book. James thought it was a little hokey, but a paying job is a paying job so he happily helped Jackson investigate. The results were disturbingly more real than expected.

Skills: (professional ones in italics, .personal hobby preceded by a dot; non-base scores bolded)

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%): 40%
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
.Dodge (DEX×2): 25%
.Drive Auto (20%): 40%
Electrical Repair (10%):
Fast Talk (05%): 25%
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%): 25%
Library Use (25%): 50%
.Listen (25%): 50%
Locksmith (01%): 41
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
.Occult (05%): 23%
Operate Heavy Machine (01%):
Other Language: (01%):
Own Language: English (EDU×5%): 55%
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%): 30%
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%): 65%
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%):
.Spot Hidden (25%): 50%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
.Fist/Punch (50%): 65%
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Grapple (25%):

Firearms:
.Handgun (20%): 40%
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Assets & Inventory:

Property:
Marko Investigations (Small office attached to James' apartment in Brooklyn)
Ford Model T (5-seat hardtop)

Weapons:
Colt Government M1911 Handgun: (1d10+2 dmg / 15 range / 1(2) rate of fire / 7+1 Capacity / 8HP / 99 malfunction)
- .45 ACP ammo (Typically 7 in the gun, and 1-2 spare magazines)

Knuckleduster (Fist): (+2 dmg)

Misc.:
Cigarettes & Lighter
Cheap Whiskey (in flask)
Handcuffs
Camera, film, flash pan and powder (typically kept in car)
Lockpick set
Flashlight (typically in car)
General car maintenance items
Job wrote:
Dayton Lomax Williams

Male - Former Minor League Baseball Player/ Mechanic

Height: 6’ 1''
Weight: 205 lbs
Hair: Light Brown
Eyes: Green

STR: 16
CON: 12
DEX: 13
APP: 10
POW: 13 (Luck = 65)

SIZ: 15
INT: 11 (Idea = 55)
EDU = 10 (Know = 50)

Sanity: 65
Current Sanity: 65
Phobias/Mental Disorders: None

Hit Points: 14
Current Hit Points: 14
Magic Points: 13
Current Magic Points: 13
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Skills
Skills: (professional ones in italics, .personal hobby preceded by a dot; non-base scores bolded) 200 occupation points, 110 hobby points
Profession: Athlete/Mechanic

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Cthulhu Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
.Dodge (DEX×2)+10 (prof) +20 (hobby): 26%+30=56%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
.Fast Talk (05%)+30: 35%
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%):
History (20%):
Jump (25%)+40: 65%
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%):
Locksmith (01%):
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%)+50: 70%
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machine (01%):
Other Language: (01%):
Own Language: English (EDU×5%): 50%
.Persuade (15%)+35: 50%
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychoanalysis (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
.Sneak (10%)+25: 35%
Spot Hidden (25%):
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%)+50: 75%
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):
Grapple (25%):
Large Club - Baseball bat (25%)+50: 75%

Firearms:
Handgun (20%):
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Languages
English (80%)

Equipment:
Original savings - $. Yearly income - $.
Wardrobe
4 worn collared shirts, various colors, clean and neat –
3 worn trousers, grey, black, and dark blue, clean, pressed with a crisp pleat -
1 pair of new work boots -
7 pairs of tighty whiteys -
7 pairs of black socks -
1 worn grey parka –
1 leather bomber jacket, lightly worn -
2 mechanics uniforms -
2 orderly uniforms –
1 pair of worn, tan wool gloves –
2 grey wool scarves –
2 woolen sweaters, on grey and one dark blue -

1 baseball uniform, clean and pressed –
1 baseball uniform, clean and pressed –
1 pair of cleats –
1 baseball mitt –
3 wooden baseball bats
1 wooden baseball bat with lead core for practice –
12 baseballs in varying condition -
1 set of catchers padding -

Rented Flat - $ per year
Duffle Bag - $
Shaving Kit and toiletries - $
Gold pocket watch (heirloom from grandfather) - $25.00
Wind-up alarm clock - $1.00
1 fountain pen and ink - $1.00
20 pencils - $0.20
5 writing tablets - $1.00
2 sets of stationary - $2.00

Toolset that includes:
- Full range of mechanic tools (purchased new) –
- Average set of carpentry tools (from his grandfather) –
- Average set of plumbing tools (from his grandfather) –
- Average set of masonry tools (from his grandfather) -

Appearance: Dayton Williams is a tall, strapping young male. He exercises religiously, jogging 5 miles every morning at sunrise, then performing calisthetics and weightlifting for an hour or two until he eats breakfast and gets ready for work. If time permits after work, he spends time in batting and fielding practice, or playing in non-league ballgames with friends. He does not smoke cigarettes, but occasionally can be found drinking with buddies.

He keeps his hair in a tight brushcut and is fastidious about hygiene. If he’s not wearing his exercising outfits or work uniforms, he prefers to wear a collared shirt with rolled-up sleeves, no tie, and loose-fitting slacks. His clothing is well-worn since he cannot afford much on his meager salary as a mechanic and orderly, but they are always cleaned and pressed. He just purchased a new pair of workboots that he often wears both on and off duty.

He continues to keep his baseball uniforms, cleats, and ballplaying equipment hung and sorted in a separate closet, well maintained, and ready for use.

Personality: Dayton is determined, but outgoing and happy-go-lucky. Because of his moderate success and frequent travels in his minor league baseball career, he has a large number of friends in cities along the East Coast and in a variety of occupations. Once his exercise routines are out of the way for the day, he loves to spend his free time playing cards and chatting with friends and colleagues. He knows whom to contact if he has questions. He always has a joke or funny story at hand. He is of average intelligence and has worked hard to increase his knowledge of mechanics for his job.

When Dayton encounters trouble, he turns to his disciplined side, sizes up the problem, and works quietly and diligently towards its solution. Once the problem is overcome, he returns to his normal, joking self. Although Dayton is certainly capable of handling himself physically, he usually thinks before he acts, however he does have a temper that occasionally gets the best of him.

The struck out part of DL's background below related to the intro into another Masks campaign rather than my game. Nurse Taylor and Prof Witherspoon were other PCs in that game. - Raiko
Up until the past year, Dayton was firmly grounded in “reality” and did not believe in ghosts, extraterrestrials, or spiritual phenomena. Lately, however, once he began working at the New York City Asylum's garage, Dayton has begun to notice strange occurrences. The other day, he noticed a team of investigators who visited the Asylum to speak with Professor Witherspoon and, after warmly smiling and flirting a bit with Nurse Taylor, he managed to pry a little information loose and, even better, was allowed to eavesdrop a bit at the door. He’s now keenly interested in their activities and intends to confront the team about their investigations. He has talked about this in his conversations with Jackson Elias.

Background: Born July 7, 1909 in Albany, Indiana, Dayton traveled to the Massachusetts area after high school to join the Boston minor league team. He later moved to New York City when the team cancelled his contract and vowed to get in the best shape of his life and try again to make the major leagues, but in an acknowledgement to the reality of needing a decent job, he apprenticed in a local garage while playing ball, and eventually landed a part-time job at the NYC Asylum's garage.

He maintains his part time job, rather than a full time job, so that he may focus on his exercising and baseball tryouts.

Bats right, throws right.

How Dayton knows Jackson Elias: Dayton came into contact with Jackson at the NYC Asylum library. Being an outgoing person, Dayton immediately struck up a conversation with Jackson about his studies and travels, and they've been friends ever since. Dayton visits Jackson at his New York Hotel whenever Jackson is in town.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Re: Masks of Nyarlathotep

Post by HoneyDog »

Raiko, I'd like to take over the James Marko character. I've got no problems running him as he is.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Welcome to the game then HoneyDog. :)

Feel free to start posting as soon as you've caught up.

James has just caught up with DL, Anderson and Tremayne as they pursue masked killers in the Hotel Chelsea.
HoneyDog
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 5 months

Post by HoneyDog »

Thanks! Please give me a couple of days to get caught up.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by zielonobrody »

Good day. I will be running this myself in two weeks, but am willing to play a not so bright strongarm mechanic and be on the receiving end of the campaign if you allow it.
"Let's eat dung, millions of flies can't be wrong." Valdemar Baldhead
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

If you'd like to join in, and don't mind playing DL, then you're welcome to join us.

I'm a little dubious of a player who's familiar enough with the campaign that they'd otherwise be running it, but that's mainly out of concern for your own enthusiasm during a very long adventure. I think that most of my current players have at least played through the beginning of the New York chapter at least once, so if you're okay separating your OOC knowledge from your investigator's own knowledge then that's fine. :D

My only other concern is that that puts me back up to nine investigators, but we should be okay I think and at least it makes splitting the party safer and TPKs less likely. :)
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

Youre right, i wouldnt want to let something slip. If you ever need an assistant, maybe I can be of service then?
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

You're more than welcome to play, as long as you don't think it'll be boring.

There's a few bits that I'll be tweaking anyway, learning from prior games of my own and others.
zielonobrody
Keeper
Keeper

Post by zielonobrody »

I will see how the Haunting resumes an d get back to you by Friday. But more than interested definitely.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Cool.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

zielonobrody wrote:I will see how the Haunting resumes an d get back to you by Friday. But more than interested definitely.
I'm assuming that maybe you're not interested anymore?

If you are are, then can you let me know by this time tomorrow? Since I decided to let you play DL, I might as well offer the spot to someone else if you're not interested.
Mallet
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Mallet »

Hello,
my name is Roger ("Mallet").
I have been on Gaming Websites like Board Game Geek for a long time, but practically only in the Wargame Subdomain.
The only RPGs I have played are D&D and The Morrow Project in the 1980s, but never since.
I have redeveloped recently the taste to play RPGs again, and as I was exploring this website I just discovered the Adventure you are moderating (Masks of Nyarlathotep).
I have delved into CoC only recently, having read the Investigator Handbook, and I am currently reading the Keeper Rulebook.
I must say I am very favourably impressed by the depth and breadth of this system.
I was wondering if it was possible to join your adventure ?
I understand that there still is a character ("DL") that is missing an active Player.
Naturally, if you have already reached the maximum number of players, or it is too late to join, I will understand perfectly.
Please tell me what you think about this.
Amitiés,
Roger
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Hi Roger, welcome to the forums.

I've sent you a reply to your PM, but yes you're more than welcome to take over running DL. :)

I've been a bit slow getting a couple of scene switching posts made, but should have things moving again soon (probably not on Christmas day though).

If you could try to catch up on previous posts, then you can join straight in.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Also, Mr Handy appears to have already validated your account, so you'll be able to post in the game forum as soon as you're ready.

Return to “Existing Games Looking For Players”