Page 1 of 1

IC-Ep 1-Plans and Schemes(Everyone)

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy
Theater of Pompey - Rome, Italia
Early afternoon- March 14, 44 BC

Story, his companions, Caelia, and their other friends arrived at the Theater of Pompey just as the performance was ending. The Senatorial section had the best seats in the house. Caesar himself and his entourage had the best of the best seats, and numerous other senators were also in attendance. Germanicus was easily recognizable, especially as his hideous hunchbacked servant Claudius was not far from his side. Another senator, a man in his forties but still with a youthful vigor, sat with him, Two other men that they saw this morning in the Forum were also approaching Germanicus. One was the gladiator Aricus Callidus Gladio, and the other the cavalryman Decius Lupus. He and Spurius Papirius Valens knew each other already as fellow cavalrymen.
OOC,Everyone who has just arrived other than [b]Story[/b] and his companions may roll Republic.

Re: IC-Ep 1-Plans and Schemes(Everyone)

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:13 am
by Ritterton
Artemis followed along with the group that had left the Palace of the Queen and he continued to replay the conversation in the palace over and over in his mind. Who would want to kill Caesar? He kept asking himself. At times he tried to catch parts of the conversation, but the hum of the city, and the large amount of people was a distraction he was no longer use to.
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice] Republic, 55  

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:55 pm
by dustakr
Spurius now more confused than before..but willing to find anything that will help solve plot against Caesar...'Well, its a pleasant feeling to see these performances at the Theater..'.

Republic Roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:40 pm
by Supercape
Spoiler:
Republic [dice]0[/dice]
"At least the damned play is finished" whispered Cladius in the faintest of whispers, barely audible to even himself. "The actors are fools and the audience are idiots! or maybe it is the other way round..." he said between his misshapen lips. Few listened to Cladius at all, but he was wise enough to keep his mumbling most muted just in case they did.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:04 pm
by DrPeterson
Germanicus rises and applauds appropriately. He gathers his toga and nods at Scaevola.
"Until tomorrow, Publius Servilius Scaevola, I hope the morrow's entertainment is at least as well-performed as this one."

Germanicus makes to leave the Theater and says to his servant in a hushed voice so Scaevola can't hear:
"Give what's left of our food and wine to those men you hired, Claudius, I have a feeling they shall need to be fortified for what is to come."

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:41 pm
by Ritterton
"I think a couple of us could approach Claudius and ask if we could speak to him while others speak to the Senator and his colleagues," Artemis said to Caelis and Spurius. He started to move towards the Senator, his community's hopeful patron, and his servant.

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:53 pm
by Supercape
Claudius dutifully bowed.

"Yes, Marth'ter. Your wish is my command, Marth'ter" he bowed deeply, so as to hide his face more.

Without an audible grumble, and with many a curse in his head, he departed, holding coin for purchase of wine, bread, and meats. He had no love of mercenaries, but then, he had no love for man, beast, or God, bar, perhaps, his master.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:27 am
by Ritterton
Artemis proceeded to intercept the Senator's servant as he departed from the Senator's box at the Theater.

"Ave, Claudius, a moment of your time if I may impose such a burden to have you speak with my colleagues and I, for just a mere moment," Artemis spoke with a smile towards the moving servant and gestured back at Caelis and Spurius.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:48 pm
by aine
Caelia comes forward, modestly. It looks like the hooded man is about to run and she doesn't want to scare him off. "Hello Claudius." She says simply.
ooc,We haven't met yet. Caelia is an elegant and very beautiful woman, mid twenties, dressed in simple but expensive clothing. She has an air of capability and kindness about her.

Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:11 pm
by Supercape
Cladius mumbled something under his breath. He risked a quick glance at the two, before staring stoically at their feet. You could tell quite a bit from a persons feet, he had discovered. Then again, he had a lot of practice.

"I fear I cannot delay, my marth'ter has sent me on errand to procure wine and meats" he explained, spluttering his words. A few splashed of spit ended up perilously close to said feet.

Despite his statement, he did not proceed further, for risk of causing offence. He waited nervously fro what the two had to say.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 am
by jaysun81
Story nods at Brook's question and says, "Yes, the change would be devastating. Tread lightly."

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy
"I'm sure it will be memorable," said Scaevola, rising and gathering his retinue. "Until tomorrow, Germanicus." He and his servants headed off in a different direction.
OOC,[b]Caelia[/b], don't forget that you may roll Republic as well. You and [b]Titus[/b] are the only ones still eligible to roll who haven't already done it, and his player has disappeared. I'll roll for him if you fail.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:29 am
by Grognardsw
Aricus slows his approach to the Senator when he sees others engaged with him.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:52 am
by Ritterton
"Claudius, maybe we could walk with you and that way we do not cause you any delay in meeting the Senator's needs?" Artemis looked at the bowed man and waited for his response. "We need to ask you about something the Queen shared with us, and to me it makes little sense, but you listen and observe everyone, so maybe you might understand much more than this provincial would."

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:45 pm
by aine
"Yes, let's move away from here, there are far too many people taking too much interest. I suppose that's Romans for you, but even so. And we would not want you to get into trouble Claudius. My name is Calia Alba by the way." Caelia is not bothered by a bit of spit that lands nest to her sandal, narrowly missing a beautiful toe. It is only one of the four humors after all.
Republic,Republic (45%) roll: 12

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:35 am
by Mr. Handy
"I've had a thought," Elizabeth whispers to Story, Lucius, and Brook. "If some of us were to infiltrate the conspirators against Caesar, we might see who they associate with to find out how they might be connected to the Brotherhood of the Beast. Our special knowledge puts us in a unique position to do that."
OOC,[b]Titus[/b]'s Republic roll (25% base skill) in the Theater of Pompey: [dice]0[/dice]
Caelia Alba,[b]Caelia[/b] recognized the Senator who had been sitting with [b]Germanicus[/b]. His name was [b]Publius Servilius Scaevola[/b]. Like [b]Germanicus[/b] he was a staunch defender of the Republic, but unlike him, he had opposed naming [b]Julius Caesar[/b] dictator in perpetua, feeling it was too much power for one man to have. [b]Scaevola[/b] had been known to remark that he missed the old days when there were two consuls in Rome, so that no one man had complete control. Given his leanings, it was possible that he could be part of the plot against [b]Caesar[/b]. [b]Scaevola[/b] was also, like [b]Caelia[/b], very interested in Egypt. His villa outside the city had numerous Egyptian-themed decorations and works of art.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:57 pm
by dustakr
OOC,Spurius Like to roll spot hidden to check if anyone is following them. [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:14 pm
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It doesn't look like anyone has been following you.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:11 pm
by Supercape
Head bowed, Cladius mumbled his assent and pressed on.

"Speak then as we walk" he grumbled. "I fear I will have few words of import for you. My Marth'ter is a wise and powerful man" he said, allowing the faintest edge to his words, to insidiously suggest he could not lightly be taken advantage of. "Yet I am but a humble slave, not privy to his thoughts" he explained, before approaching, bent over, a wine merchant and perusing the wares.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:01 am
by jaysun81
"That's an excellent idea." Story said to Elizabeth in a lowered voice and continues, "I'm most intrigued with this Brotherhood of the Beast, and while you're right we are in a unique position, we're also on a potential slippery slop. We must be careful."

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Elizabeth nodded. "It would be exciting to meet these people I've only read about," she whispered back, "but it's also dangerous!"

"I can do it," added Lucius. "I have the right skills for the job as a finder, and I am a Roman, which will help. This is my home, if not my time."

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 am
by Ritterton
"Ah Cladius, I believe you are an invaluable aide to your Master and you pay closer attention to things than you give yourself credit," Artemis smiled and patted the deformed man lightly on the shoulder. "The Queen fears that there is trouble amidst that may swirl about the Senate and her beloved Caesar. It could involve individuals who sided against him and his allies, some dark brotherhood could be involved. Would any of that sound familiar to you?"

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:05 pm
by aine
Caelia sees someone she knows who might be very worth while talking to. "Artemis, you continue with Claudius; I've just seen someone else who might useful. I'll catch up with you in a moment." She turns back towards the group of senators.
"Publius Servilius Scaevola, ave! Caelia Alba, Caelius Albus Graecus's daughter. We met at that awful themed dinner for dryads. You still haven't invited me to see your wonderful Egyptian collection, you really are too bad! It's been killing me with the suspense." She puts on her best young lady's charm.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy
Scaevola and his lictors and servants had been moving at a sedate pace, so Caelia was easily able to catch up to them. "Salve, Caelia Alba!" he greeted her with a wide smile. "It is good to see you again. I do apologize for not inviting you sooner. You are most welcome to visit my villa and see my collection. I have matters yet to attend to in Rome this afternoon, but perhaps you would care to come by this evening for supper?"

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:34 am
by andyw666
Lupus notices a number of the people he'd seen earlier in the day now entering the theatre. Among them is fellow cavalryman Spurious. Lupus gives him a lazy wave. "Ave young Spurius."

Lupus continues to discreetly make his way to Germanicus and his freakish slave, being very careful not to intrude on any meetings or conversations between the rich, famous and beautiful (Lupus isn't stupid.)

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:19 pm
by Supercape
Ritterton wrote: "The Queen fears that there is trouble amidst that may swirl about the Senate and her beloved Caesar. It could involve individuals who sided against him and his allies, some dark brotherhood could be involved. Would any of that sound familiar to you?"
Cladius froze in panic. His senses and attention were attuned to avoiding a beating, not the games of politicians and nobility. Besides, a wrong word or a loose tongue on such matters was a sure way to torture and death.

"Forgive me, sir, but I cannot speak of such matters. You must make representations to my noble Marth'ter and ask him. Even if I did know, which, being a lowly slave, I do not, I could not possibly speak..." he said uneasily, hopping from foot to foot and risking darting eyes to left and right. He prayed none were paying attention.

"Please forgive me, kind Sir, I beg your forgiveness" he grovelled, lowering his head to waist height.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:03 pm
by dustakr
'Fellow Lupus..nice seeing you..' Spurius waves back at Lupus...keeping as much to himself Lupus disappears back into crowd as is caelia alba waiting for something..Spurius now confused as to follow Claudius with Artemis.. or wait for Caelia..he halts at place...thinks of something...then follows Cladius..'Get your act together Cladius..we are not holding you for any wrong doing...speak you mind true before we clear our intention to your master..then it will not be time to speak..' Spurius gets his voice high enough to be heard by people around him...
OOC,I am not sure by now what Spurius is looking for..kind of clueless..

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:08 am
by Grognardsw
Aricus hangs back with Lupus.

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:24 am
by Ritterton
"Ave, citizen," Artemis responded to the tone towards Cladius in the same tone he would have used in his military days. "There is no need for such an approach with a servant as loyal to his master as we have been to the Republic. For surely, if Claudius was aware of any unsavory plots that if brought to light could save his Master, gain him favor with Cleopatra herself and possibly her royal gratitude, he would share those. I suspect we need to look elsewhere, but we have delayed him in his quest, the least we can do is help him carry back that which he was sent to fetch for the Senator."

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:06 pm
by aine
Caelia smiles, "why not? That would be lovely. I have an appointment early evening but I could come over directly after." She thinks for a moment and then says simply, "I met the Queen today, at her palace." She watches carefully to see what response she gets.
ooc,I'd have rolled psychology here but I don't have it as a skill. (roll:38)

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy
"Indeed?" said Scaevola, raising an eyebrow, "And how is Queen Cleopatra?"
OOC,Insight is the Cthulhu Invictus equivalent of Psychology. You have it at 45%, so that roll succeeds.
Caelia Alba,[b]Scaevola[/b] could not fully hide his disdain for the very institution of monarchy, which was not a surprise considering his political leanings and Rome's ancient history of being oppressed by tyrannical kings before the Republic was born. He was also quite obviously attracted to [b]Caelia[/b], and he was clearly hoping supper would turn into something more.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:40 pm
by jaysun81
Story nods at Lucius while saying in a lowered voice, "Yes, that makes the most sense. Do you want one of us to go with you? Otherwise I suppose we will stick with Caelia for now." Story continues to keep an eye on Caelia so not to loss her. Truth be told he's not quite sure how to proceed yet... after all, they must tread lightly.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:55 pm
by Supercape
Ritterton wrote:"There is no need for such an approach with a servant as loyal to his master as we have been to the Republic. For surely, if Claudius was aware of any unsavory plots that if brought to light could save his Master, gain him favor with Cleopatra herself and possibly her royal gratitude, he would share those. I suspect we need to look elsewhere, but we have delayed him in his quest, the least we can do is help him carry back that which he was sent to fetch for the Senator."
Cladius simply froze, alert for a beating of uncertain savagery.

"My thanks for any aid, Sir" he bowed, fretful. "I am not worthy of your kindness" he bowed, almost bent over double. "It is true that any plot against my Marth'ter would go ill against me, for none other possessed my Marth'ters kindness towards this poor soul. But alas, I have not the wit nor learning to know of any such plots. I am but a Slave, and a poor pathetic slave at that..." he explained, unable to keep the juice of bitterness from his words.

That said, he did pass some of the food and wine to the stronger arms of Artemis.

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
"I cannot do it alone," replied Lucius. "I do not know the backgrounds of the people involved. All of this happened after my time. That said, it could be dangerous as Elizabeth said, so I'd be reluctant to bring her or Brook. On the other hand, if you came with me, it could be equally dangerous for them not to be with us."

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:01 pm
by Ritterton
Well, Claudius be it a soldier, or a slave, both serve the Republic and benefit from it in some small manner," Artemis took the load of supplies with a smile as he spoke to Claudius who was paying for the food. "If something catches your attention in the next few hours, please at least let me know how best to approach. I plan to ask the Senator if he knows why the Queen would be so worried about something happening to the Republic in the days ahead."

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:12 pm
by Thorn
Brook looks at Lucius. "I can come along. I wrote a paper on Caesar once, and studied quite a bit, I might remember something that's important." She looks to Story. "I'll be careful."

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:14 pm
by aine
"The Queen is worried. It seems bad times are afoot." Caelia says to Scaevola and then smiles, "You may not like the monarchy but can you imagine Egypt as a republic? I doubt she would be quite so fascinating or have artifacts worth collecting; maybe a few papyrus tax reforms and a governor's staff or two."

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:45 pm
by jaysun81
Story looks with concern at Brook, "I know you will." He looks at Lucius and says, "Be cautious my friend, none of us should travel alone."

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:50 am
by Grognardsw
Aricus, ex-gladiator

Aricus stand with Lupus, watching the strangers talking around Claudius with the Senator further back. The ex-gladiator waits until the strangers have left, then approaches Claudius.

"Good day Claudius," he says to the deformed man, showing empathy most don't, given Aricus himself was once a slave of a different sort. "I hope the play kept mind entertained. Are the celebrations at the Senator's villa to happen after the play here? What time should I report for duty?"

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy
"I would sooner imagine Egypt as a Republic than Rome as a monarchy, dear lady," replied Scaevola to Caelia with a smile of his own. "Rome is a Republic, as it should be, and it produces excellent artwork and fascinating people - yourself being a prime example. I'm sure Queen Cleopatra would be just as interesting as she is now were she a patrician in the Republic. What is it exactly that has her worried?"

"Don't worry, Story, I shall protect Brook with my life," said Lucius.

"I know more than a little about history myself," said Elizabeth, "but you may be more knowledgeable on the subject than I am, Brook. Do be careful." She nodded to Story. "What shall we do while they're busy, Story? Or should all four of us stick together?"

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:57 pm
by aine
"Maybe we can talk about it this evening. There are too many prying ears around here." Caelia says to Scaevulus. "Enjoy the rest of the afternoon and I'll see you later." She smiles winningly and looks around for Germanicus.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:44 pm
by DrPeterson
Germanicus was shaking hands with a few people and enquiring to their health as he passed them on his way. Two lictors were shielding the senator from the worst of the emerging crowd.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy
"Until this evening, then," Scaevola said to Caelia. "I look forward to it." He departed with his entourage.

Germanicus spotted Caelia speaking to Scaevola as he was leaving, and he also noticed others nearby he had recognized from the Forum this morning during the incident with the soothsayer, several of whom were his clients. A couple of them were speaking to Claudius and helping him with the wine.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:59 am
by DrPeterson

Although Germanicus appreciated the company of the young healer, he couldn't approach her so shortly after she'd taken her leave of Scaevola, it was less than proper. He wasn't entirely sure why, but he loathed the man even more for just the fraction of an instant.

He strode toward the group of his clientes and said with a benign smile.

"The Gods never cease to amaze me! If Claudius's charm attracts a following of such ferocious warriors, I should perhaps have trained him better in the arts of war and the Parthians would already be under the auspices of Roman civilisation!"

Germanicus's smile doesn't fade as he looks at the men in turn.

"Tell me then, my dear clients, does Hera move you to these acts of homely activity, or are fierier voices fanning your motivation?"

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:57 pm
by aine
As she takes her leave of Scaevola, Caelia catches Germanicus watching them and barely notices an instant look of displeasure on his face before he expertly hides it with a generous smile and turns towards his servant, a small crowd and what looks like Artemis hefting a large barrel of wine. Caelia drifts, seemingly randomly, towards the group, smiling and nodding to a few people she recognises.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:22 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis had followed Claudius with a small wine cask in his arms through the vendors and back to where the Senator was still meeting with guests, passer bys, and officials. Claudius had tried to carry everything, and that was not possible, so they split up some of the items, and then Artemis suggested that he could come back quickly and get the second cask. As he dropped the one cask, he watched a rather stout, man step up to Claudius and caught the greeting the man extended to the servant. Artemis tried to catch more of the conversation, but wanted to hurry back to grab the second cask. The man who had hailed Claudius had the stance of a seasoned fighter and the physique to match.

Artemis grabbed the second cask, still where they had left it a bit of a ways between the market and where the Senator was meeting people. He shouldered it, and rushed back as quickly as he could. When he reappeared with the cask in hand, the Senator had finally finished his greetings and had turned towards the small group that had started to linger and gather about. Included in the group was Caelia who he had visited the Queen's audience chamber. As he approached, he dropped the cask to the ground and heard the Senator say,
"Tell me then, my dear clients, does Hera move you to these acts of homely activity, or are fierier voices fanning your motivation?"
He straightened then extended a bow towards the Senator, followed by the military salute he was trained for years to render a general of the Republic.

"General, once trained to help an officer and his retinue, one is always subject to falling into old, familiar habits, Artemis smiled. And you were kind enough to hear my request earlier, when I saw Claudius making his way to the vendors, it seemed he may need some help with the purchases so I offered to help. It also gave me the chance to reflect upon what we" Artemis jestered towards Caelia, the fighter still near Claudius, and the others nearby, "had heard from the Queen."

Now, he thought, maybe the General would know something about all that the Queen was worried about.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:16 pm
by dustakr
'Good day, Sir..' Spurius some what maintains distance with Senator..'cavalry man at your spare..fortunate enough to meet you in person...these good people asked my services while at queens palace...and I think they need strong support advancing in their quest...' Spurius stops talking and awaits for response..

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:32 pm
by DrPeterson
"Artemis Gaius Silvius, you are a man of interesting acquaintances to say the least. Pray tell, how is it you keep the company of the Queen of the Nile? You have aroused my curiosity."

Germanicus smiled and nodded benignly at Spurius. So many soldiers without a job, that would be trouble in the streets soon. A good thing Caesar was preparing his campaign, they'd need seasoned men to join the march East.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:26 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis blushed at the Senator's remark. He took the stance typical to a standard bearer rendering a report to a superior.

"Sir, I merely followed along with a few others I had seen earlier in the day, and was assumed to be part of their party by the guards," Artemis smiled at the thought. The continued, "as it so happened, Spurius was there and his help I suspect will be critical to address the Queen's concerns for the safety of the Republic and our beloved Caesar."

Seeing Caelia coming in the direction of the group, he turned and called aloud, "Ava, Caelia, she was with us, Senator, please, please come and join us for a moment."

As he turned back to the Senator, he resumed his report, "Sir, the Queen is worried that the enemies of Caesar may be afoot and intending mayhem to him and others in the day to come."

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:02 am
by jaysun81
Story smiles at Lucius, "I know you will my friend."

Story pauses for a moment as if considering their course of action in light of Elizabeth's question. After a few seconds he looks at her and says, "Considering the precarious situation we find ourselves in perhap it would be best if we all stick together. If things go sideways we will be together and can adjust as the need arises." Story looks around area they find themselves in and continues, "May we not screw this up."

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:30 pm
by DrPeterson
Germanicus smiled his welcome at Caelia and then turned his attention back to Artemis.

"The enemies of Caesar and the Republic are ever busy plotting in dark alleys, soldier, it is the way of things. But what special cause does the Queen of Queens have to be alarmed? Surely Caesar is well protected by his friends and troops."

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:35 pm
by Ritterton
"The enemies of Caesar and the Republic are ever busy plotting in dark alleys, soldier, it is the way of things. But what special cause does the Queen of Queens have to be alarmed? Surely Caesar is well protected by his friends and troops."
Artemis shifted nervously, looked about, and leaned in towards the Senator. In a lowered voice directed at his superior, he said, "sir, she and her hand maiden spoke of a Brotherhood that may be seeking revenge for Pompey's demise and that holds Caesar somehow responsible. She mentioned death and a Sphinx as well, but it all seems a bit hard for me to understand. Sir, we may want to be in more private quarters to discuss this matter, if even for a few moments."

Artemis leaned back, and looked about. He shrugged and motioned for Caelia to step forward and join in the conversation with the Senator.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:17 pm
by DrPeterson
Germanicus nodded in appreciation of Artemis's common sense.
He stood tall and raised his voice so bystanders could hear him clearly.

"I have a busy day ahead of me, but for men of the Legion I've always time. You may meet me at my residence in an hour time and bring your friends too."

With that he turned from Artemis and the others and faced Caelia with a kind smile.

"Caelia Alba, would you do an old man the pleasure of escorting him for a short while? Not just to discuss the maladies of age, I can assure you, but to brighten his day for just a select moment."

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:18 am
by Grognardsw
Aricus, ex-gladiator

"Matters official hold the Senator's mind," Aricus says to Lupus. "I'll send a messenger to his villa later to determine what time I am needed. Would you join me to quench thirst and cast eyes on women of loose morals? I know of a nearby caupona."

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:36 pm
by yockenthwaite
Elizabeth nods in response to Story. "That sounds sensible. So, where do we start?"

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:10 pm
by aine
Caelia gives Artemis and Spurius a brief nod and smile, "I'll meet you at the Senator's villa in an hour. Keep your eyes open; my back is itching with the though of spies in this busy crowd."
And she smiles warmly up at the senator as she takes his arm affectionately and walks with him, 'The pleasure is mine, great friend of my beloved father. Especially if we can find some quiet and shade to walk in. You will be glad to hear that I have some new frankincense fresh from the Indus Valley for your knees."

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:43 pm
by DrPeterson

"I believe my wife's gratitude will be boundless, my dear, your craft and skill will keep many a whining hour from her ears."

Germanicus offers his arm to Caelia and walks with her in the shade and near-seclusion of a porticoed archway where they can talk somewhat removed from prying ears.

"Now tell me, my dear Caelia, how you keep finding yourself in the company of such military men. Your father would hold me responsible if I not broached the subject." He smiles almost mischievously. "I am most intrigued and surmise it is not through the practise of your trade alone."

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:44 am
by Ritterton
Artemis turned to Spurius still nearby as the Senator and Caelia left. Before he spoke he say Claudius start to follow in tow to the Senator.

"Claudius, till we meet again," Artemis smiled kindly at the hooded servant.

"Spurius, I have to find a better looking tunic for this evening, can you give a fellow veteran some guidance as to where to go?" Artemis shrugged a bit embarrassed at being at a loss as to where things might be. "I also have no clue where the Senator's villa actually is, and I probably need to ensure my lodging at the Golden Eagle remains secure and that is back near the military quarter of the City."

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:31 pm
by dustakr
'I myself arrived at town today only after long time..have not put my foot in city properly to know which is which.. for senator's villa I am about as clueless as you are...maybe even more as I have met him for first time..' '..on second thought if you wish to be more presentable for the evening ..we may ask performers at theater..borrow one from them...or you can head back to your lodge and ask nice people there of your request..I will meanwhile ask about the location for senator's villa, meet you back at forum..' Spurius was overthinking everything at this point.
OOC,Spurius like to roll spot hidden at this point.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:29 am
by jaysun81
"That's the million dollar question my dear. As Nefertiri said, if the Brotherhood is currently here they will be operating in secret." Turning to Lucius he says, "Where does one find the seedy underbelly of Rome?"

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:57 am
by Ritterton
"That makes a lot of sense, Spurius," Artemis said while nodding his head in agreement. I will meet you back in the forum after I have made a few arrangements and adjustments to my wardrobe. Till then Spurius, safe travels and open eyes."

Artemis left the theater and proceeded back the way he had come to the forum. He kept his eyes open and scanned the various crowds and such as he headed back to his lodging. He also kept his eyes open for a merchant selling clothing with the hopes of finding something a bit more appropriate for him to wear to a meeting with a Senator at a villa. He thought also about a few other items he had still hoped to address: the sale of goods he had brought, the purchase of the wine cups he hoped to get back to his own inn, gifts for the kids and others, and possibly a special item for the community to commemorate their start as a city of the Republic. He walked as quickly as the crowds would allow.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:09 pm
by aine
Caelia smiles and nods at Germanicus but as soon as they walk in the shade, she drops all the pretence, looks around carefully and then says in a grave, low voice, "Germanicus, there is a serious plot to assassinate Caesar. A very real one this time, and it is to occur within two days. Artemis, Spurius and some other people and I arrived almost by fate at the Egyptian Palace. We went inside and spoke to the Queen herself. She, Nefertiri and the seer, Adelphus who had a vision, asked for our help to uncover the assassins and their backers.

I know it's not becoming to chase around the city but I feel I must help where I can. There are some other people involved, a man called simply 'Story' and some friends of his. He's not with the assassins but he's also not entirely trustworthy. Anyway, we are to find information about the Black Pharaoh, The sphinx and the Brotherhood of the Beast who may behind the plot."
She sighs, "And we only have today as we must return to the palace tonight. It's so difficult as I don't know who to trust."

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:59 pm
by DrPeterson
Germanicus doesn't interrupt his stride and hides his amazement behind the experienced politician's face that is his.

"These are grave tidings indeed, Caelia."

He's quiet for a while as he thinks.

"So Adelphus has some connection to the Queen. I can't say it really strikes me as a surprise. There are many things hidden on the borders of Rome and many more where Egypt is concerned. This rumour of an organised Brotherhood is very disturbing. If Caesar's enemies have indeed rallied to a common cause and are joined in ritual, they might prove more dangerous than he would accredit them.

You are right to be wary, Caelia, the City has become corrupt and many of its senators with it. That is what Caesar seeks to combat and that is why they hate him so. Our 'friend' Scaevola being one of those, I surmise, his insinuations revealed as much earlier on.

I host Caesar to dinner tonight, you must come and present your case to him, though I fear he may be ill-inclined to take heed. Nonetheless, I should accompany him often these coming days and keep an eye on him.
"

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy
"That would be the Suburra," Lucius told Story. "It is the great slum of Rome, or at least it was the last time I was here. If anything, it is probably even worse now. You will not find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." He repeated a line he had heard Brook say once. He was unfamiliar with the reference she had been making, but it had stuck in his mind. "It is not far from here, just across the Argiletum, nestled between the Caelian and Esquiline Hills. However, it is an extremely dangerous place. If we do not know what to look for, we could wander all day and find nothing - except perhaps trouble. The three of you are more familiar with the history and personages involved than I am. Much will be known of this plot after it has been carried out. It seems it will not be forgotten even many years hence. We will need your special knowledge to identify the conspirators."
OOC,[b]Spurius[/b], you are free to roll Spot Hidden (as is anyone else who wishes to do so).

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:37 pm
by dustakr
Spurius, left alone at forum start wondering around, while asking about senator's villa to the passerby making way through crowd, he slips into the backstage of the theater where performers were resting, acts friendly, asks about anything out of ordinary in there voyage so far..hinting them with words like brotherhood, sphinx, black pharaoh, asks them about Rome and Caesar, after sometime he leaves the backstage and heads back to the place where he supposed to meet Artemis, finds himself shed to stand under and rest, while observing the forum crowd.
OOC & Spot Hidden Roll,I hope Spurius by now aware of whereabouts of senator's Villa. [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:53 pm
by Grognardsw
With the Senator busy, Aricus leaves and goes drinking. He'll trust his slaves to find him when's needed.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:59 pm
by Thorn
Brook stifles a giggle-snort at Lucius' pop culture reference. Looking from Lucius to Story, she shrugs a little. "So...We're looking for those Brotherhood guys, right? But what do we do if we find them?"

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy
"We learn whatever we can," said Lucius, "then report back to the others with what we'v discovered. We'll all need to coordinate together before we act against them. We could try pretending to join them, but that didn't work out so well for me and Grit that time in Londinium." He shuddered with the memory.

Spurius spoke to the players backstage, who showed no reaction to the odd words he threw out there beyond bewilderment. The players, like the play, were Greek, and they felt honored to perform in Pompey's Theater in Rome. Now that Spurius was up close, he could see how the actor who had played Oedipus had faked his blindness. His eyelids had been dyed black, presumably when he had been offstage before the final climactic scene, and red berry juice had been dripping from them down his cheeks. He had simply come out with his eyes shut, thes appearing from a distance to have empty sockets out of which his eyes had been gouged. Since his eyes had been closed, he had genuinely moved and acted like a blind man. The troupe had nothing but good things to say about Rome and Caesar, and they were pleased to have him in the audience. He was able to get directions to Senator Germanicus's villa from one of his servants. It was located a short distance north of Rome, appropriately near the Field of Mars.
Spurius Papirius Valens,As [b]Spruius[/b] watched the crowd, he noticed that most of the Senators and [b]Caesar[/b] himself had left by this time. [b]Scaevola[/b] was just now leaving through one of the theater's gates with his entourage. Several people in the crowd were looking at [b]Germanicus[/b] and [b]Caelia[/b]. Perhaps it was because he was famous and she was beautiful, and perhaps seeing the two of them together would be grist for the rumor mill. It was of course possible that some people had other motivations for watching them, but [b]Spurius[/b] had no way of knowing.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:04 am
by Ritterton
It took a bit longer than he had hoped, but he managed to find the inn he had secured lodging at upon his arrival. It was run by a retiree and his younger bride and they had treated Artemis with kindness upon his arrival. When he entered the inn, there were some eating at one of the tables and others sipping from clay drinking cups. The proprietor caught his eyes, and Artemis found himself spilling out the challenge he had before him.

Good Sir, truly if you could help your fellow veteran of the Republic, for I am in something of a bind I think, Artemis felt his heart racing as he talked. "I have been invited to Senator Germanicus' villa in less than an hour, and fear that even this my best tunic is not adequate for such a kindness bestowed upon me by the invitation of one of the Senate. Truly, do you know where I could borrow, maybe even pay for, a finer tunic that I could wear for the evening?"

Artemis caught himself and tried to slow down both his mouth and his heart. I have to hurry, though I have to meet Spurius back at the Forum, what have I gotten myself into, he thought to himself.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:26 pm
by Emma.Wyatt
Titus thinks for a moment of going back to Cleopatra's to discuss this Brotherhood with Adelphus but is concerned he won't make it back to the Senator's on time. He will try to catch Aldelphus after dinner... Maybe tomorrow.

So Titus sets out into the forum looking for any of his not trusted colleagues. Maybe one of them has heard of the brotherhood.

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy
"I don't have a fancy tunic," said the innkeeper to Artemis, "but I do have a toga that should suffice. You'd do better with a toga anyway, as Senator Germanicus is something of a traditionalist. You're welcome to borrow it, and congratulations on getting the invitation. You've already paid for your room in advance and all your things are there, so I know you're not going to disappear with it."
OOC,[b]Titus[/b], please roll Luck. To do this, you can use the board's built-in dice roller to roll 1d100, trying to get equal to or less than your Luck stat, which is 65. You can find instructions for using it [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=318&t=5318]here[/url]. The dice roller we used to use, Invisible Castle, is down, perhaps permanently. You are free to use another online dice roller if you like (other players use Orokos.com). In a pinch, you could even roll physical dice and post the result in a spoiler button like this one. If you need to know how to use spoiler buttons, there are instructions in [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?p=68577#p68577]this ancient post[/url].

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:53 am
by Ritterton
"Mitras bless you, that would be perfect. Thank you," Artemis' face relaxed and his whole body showed his gratitude mixed with deep relief. He followed the innkeeper who found the toga and helped Artemis with getting it on. He tucked his pugio into his belt and hid it under the toga. He suspected having it would be of great help than not. He thanked the innkeeper and got directions back to the Forum. With another set of thank yous, Artemis departed the inn and headed as quickly as he could to the Forum.

The people of the City ebbed and flowed like a constant current that filled the City with life and distraction. He finally found his way to the Forum and scanned about trying to find Spurius. When he recognized the soldier, he headed towards him and called to the waiting man, "Ave, Spurius, sorry for the wait."

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:20 pm
by aine
Caelia is glad that Germanicus doesn't think she has her head full of crazy ideas. "I am due to visit Scaevola tonight; ostensibly to admire his fine Egyptian collection but really to carefully discover his views on this. However, if he has anything to do with the Brotherhood, it could turn rather awkward for me. I'll have to make sure he doesn't guess the true purpose of my visit. Caelia looks a little doubful."

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:55 pm
by jaysun81
Story nods at Lucius, "Agreed. Hopefully we don't run into any great trouble while attempting to reach them. In addition to preserving the time line, we must also preserve our lives as well." Story rubs his chin and continues, "Hopefully Caelia and the others discover some things as well. Well my friend, lead on."

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:59 pm
by yockenthwaite
"Well that sounds like a good starting point," says Elizabeth, smiling as they set off. "Perhaps as we walk there we could try to formulate a plan for how to look for the Brotherhood most effectively. Though it does sound as though it will be a difficult task."

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:20 pm
by jaysun81
"Yes, and the difficulty is compounded by the fact that there's not much time. Frankly for once I'm at a lose." With a smile Story continues, "Perhaps the gods will show us the way."

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,[b]Story[/b], [b]Elizabeth[/b], and [b]Brook[/b], you may each roll Idea.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:29 am
by DrPeterson
"I see your father's boldness hasn't skipped a generation. You are a brave woman, Caelia, to be venturing into the lion's den like that, and a testament to the strength of Rome. I would advise you to take an escort of armed with you, however. I would gladly offer some of mine, but Scaevola's people will recognise them and see my hand in it, and you won't be able to feign a disgust for me."

Germanicus pauses for a moment, thinking.

"I will relay what you have said to Caesar. I think it better that you do not appear publicly at my house tonight. Do not mistake your welcome, Caelia, there will always be room for you at my table, but if you will work yourself into the confidence of Scaevola any friendly affiliation between us will appear suspicious."

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:49 pm
by jaysun81
SUCCESS,[url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=showone&id=80972&macid=0]Idea 65% - [1d100] = 63[/url]

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:51 pm
by dustakr
Ritterton wrote: "Ave, Spurius, sorry for the wait."
Spurius greets back Artemis, 'Not to worry..I have been busy'.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:00 pm
by Mr. Handy
Story,[b]Story[/b], through his knowledge of history, knew the names of several members of the plot against [b]Caesar[/b]: [b]Gaius Cassius Longinus[/b]. [b]Marcus Junius Brutus[/b], [b]Decimus Brutus Albinus[/b], [b]Servilius Casca[/b], and [b]Lucius Tillius Cimber[/b]. If the Brotherhood of the Beast was in any way connected to the plot, than they could possibly get leads on them by seeing who associated with the conspirators.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:15 am
by Emma.Wyatt
ooc,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/380537]http://orokos.com/roll/380537[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]2[/b]

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:42 pm
by yockenthwaite
OOC,Rolling Idea (stat 65%) on way towards the Suburra slum [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:00 am
by Mr. Handy
Titus noticed a very old man on his way out of the theater and recognized him as Septimus Scribonius Magnus, a well-known augur with an excellent reputation. He moved very slowly, which is why he was still here when most of the crowd had dispersed by now,
Elizabeth Young,[b]Elizabeth[/b] realized that if the Brotherhood of the Beast was in any way connected to the plot against [b]Caesar[/b], they could possibly get leads on them by seeing who associated with the conspirators. The only names she knew of were [b]Brutus[/b] and [b]Cassius[/b], but [b]Brook[/b] seemed lkely to know a lot more, and she might even have some ideas on how to find them.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:06 pm
by aine
"Thank you, Germanicus, I feel much more confident with your support. Father always said you were 'Rome's pillar of strength'." Caelia does a humorous impersonation of her father's gravelly voice and smiles briefly before turning serious.
"I will ask Artemis and Spurius to accompany me, and I'll send you a message directly I am out of Scaevola's residence. If you haven't heard from me by, say, an hour before midnight, then you'll know something has happened.
Caesar barely knows me, I only met him once, but please give him my best wishes tonight."

She sighs, "I'd much rather be dining at your table than Scaevola's tonight; he gives me the creeps." Caelia turns and holds Germanicus' hand tenderly. "Well, wish me luck. We should meet first thing tomorrow morning to compare notes - then we'll need to take drastic action if we are to save Caesar."

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:36 pm
by DrPeterson

Germanicus smiles at Caelia's impersonation.

"The People and the Senate are the strength of Rome, my dear, we are but her servants."

He tenderly squeezes Caelia's hand.

"Juno guide you, Caelia Alba. I shall look forward to your hale return. You will find me in the Forum tomorrow, or at the Theatre of Pompey Magnus."

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:36 pm
by Emma.Wyatt
Titus walks over to Septimus.

"Hello, friend. How are you? Might I trouble you for a moment?"

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy
The elderly augur squinted at Titus and smled. "Hail, Titus Iunius Philo," he said in a crackly voice. "I am as well as can be expected. And yourself? At my age, time is in short supply, though it may be so for many of us if my visions of the future are accurate. Still, I can spare a moment for you. What is on your mind, youngster?"

Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:08 pm
by aine
Caelia bids farewell of Germanicus and goes in search of Spurius whilst keeping an eye out for anything else of interest.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:36 am
by jaysun81
Story steps in front of his companions as they're moving while he slowly proceeds backwards and says, "Well, we know that there was a few conspirators - Gaius Longinus. Marcus Brutus, Decimus Albinus, Servilius Casca, and Lucius Cimber. Perhaps one of them is connected with the Brotherhood in some fashion."

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:06 am
by Ritterton
dustakr wrote:
Ritterton wrote: "Ave, Spurius, sorry for the wait."
Spurius greets back Artemis, 'Not to worry..I have been busy'.
Artemis clasps hands with Spurius and then looks about.

"Spurius, so, do you know where we are to go? I felt fortunate enough to find my way to my lodging, borrow this toga, and get back here. I didn't get any directions as to where the Good Senator's villa is located." Artemis tugged at the seam of the toga, and shifted nervously as if he was a new recruit standing before a trainer for the first time.

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:59 pm
by Emma.Wyatt
Titus smiles at Septimus and says "I won't keep you too long. I am troubled, friend. I hear whispers of a group I am unfamiliar with. Tell me, please, have you any information about the Brotherhood of the beast?"

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:24 pm
by dustakr
Spurius hiding his amused face from Arthemis, looking over to Senator Germanicus..'I guess Senator Germanicus is leaving Lady Caelia Alba alone for moment..we can go and have word with Lady Caelia about Senator Scaevola before going to Senator's villa..I have gain directions to Senator's villa already.'
OOC,Hello Mr. Handy, Humble Request, I have been watching you seamlessly npc many of playing characters on different occasions for various reasons..can you npc Spurius for next single post...

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:22 am
by Mr. Handy
"I only know what Adelphus told me when I shared my latest vision with him," Septimus told Titus. "They are a mystery cult that originates in Egypt, but they have members in Rome whose identities are unknown. They worship the Sphinx, which fits with what I saw in my vision. And they pose a considerable threat to the peace and safety of Rome."
OOC,Sure, no problem!

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:00 pm
by Ritterton
'I guess Senator Germanicus is leaving Lady Caelia Alba alone for moment..we can go and have word with Lady Caelia about Senator Scaevola before going to Senator's villa..I have gain directions to Senator's villa already.'
Artemis agreed with Spurius' suggested plan and looked about to see where he had seen Caelia in the crowd.

"Ave Caelia, Lady Caelia," Artemis made a wave to attract Caelia's attention within the mass of all of the others.

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:33 am
by DrPeterson

Germanicus gathers his retinue and assumes the long way home, greeting friends and clients and the way back.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:29 pm
by yockenthwaite
"The only names I could remember for sure were Brutus and Cassius," says Elizabeth to Story and the others. "Brook, is Story's list complete? I think you know more about this than I do. Are there any other names we might be missing? And do you have any ideas about how we might best find them?"

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:33 am
by Emma.Wyatt
"Thank you for the time and information, Septimus. I won't keep you any longer." Titus smiles and will make his way off from the older man, once he is sure Septimus has no more to say.

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy
"Just a minute, young man," Septimus said to Titus. "I never shared my vision with you, did I? I am the seventh son of a seventh son, and I have been blessed - or rather cursed - with the second sight. My visions have never failed." The ancient seer cleared his throat. "I saw a beast, part man and part snake, doing battle with a Sphinx. The two were locked in mortal combat, and Rome was their battlefield. Men fought as well, some on each creature's side at their command, but few there were who even saw their commanders. First knives came out, and then a great man fell. Then the swords came out. I saw blood and fire, chaos and destruction!" He gripped the fringe of Titus's clothes with a weak and trembling hand. "I prayed to all the gods that I would not live to see it come to pass. It was terrible! House fought against house, brother fought against brother. It was like in the war between Caesar and Pompey, only worse! I fear the Republic is doomed!" Tears poured from his eyes and rolled down his cheeks. Then he suddenly lurched backwards, clutched his chest, and collapsed...

Story
JAYSUN81

Elizabeth Young
YOCKENTHWAITE

Lucuus Verres
HEXELIS

Brook Davies
THORN

Senator Tiberius Tullius Germanicus
DR PETERSON

Claudius Marcius
SUPERCAPE

Caelia Alba
AINE

TItus Iunius Philo
CRACKHEADC.
EMMA.WYATT

Decius Lupus
ANDYW666

Aricus Callidus Gladio
GROGNARDSW

Artemis Gaius Sylvius
RITTERTON

Spurius Papirius Valens
DUSTAKR

Gaius Iulius Caesar
MR. HANDY

Adelphus
MR. HANDY

Lictors:
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY

Servants:
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY

Romans:
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY

Senator Decimus Brutus Albinus:
MR. HANDY

Senator Publius Servilius Scaevola
MR. HANDY

Actors
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY

Egyptians:
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY
MR. HANDY

Nefertiri
MR. HANDY

Queen Cleopatra
MR. HANDY

Septimus Scribonius Magnus
MR. HANDY

Title music by
RON GRAINER and
BBC RADIOPHONIC
WORKSHOP

Designer
MR. HANDY

Producer
MR. HANDY

Directed by
MR. HANDY
OOC,Everyone is moving to the thread linked below.
No Tomorrow