IC-Ep 1-Plans and Schemes(Everyone)

Story and his companions arrive in Rome in 44 BC, the day before the Ides of March. They encounter a very unusual soothsayer who delivers a warning to Julius Caesar and soon find themselves embroiled in intrigue.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-Plans and Schemes(Everyone)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elizabeth nodded. "It would be exciting to meet these people I've only read about," she whispered back, "but it's also dangerous!"

"I can do it," added Lucius. "I have the right skills for the job as a finder, and I am a Roman, which will help. This is my home, if not my time."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

"Ah Cladius, I believe you are an invaluable aide to your Master and you pay closer attention to things than you give yourself credit," Artemis smiled and patted the deformed man lightly on the shoulder. "The Queen fears that there is trouble amidst that may swirl about the Senate and her beloved Caesar. It could involve individuals who sided against him and his allies, some dark brotherhood could be involved. Would any of that sound familiar to you?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Caelia sees someone she knows who might be very worth while talking to. "Artemis, you continue with Claudius; I've just seen someone else who might useful. I'll catch up with you in a moment." She turns back towards the group of senators.
"Publius Servilius Scaevola, ave! Caelia Alba, Caelius Albus Graecus's daughter. We met at that awful themed dinner for dryads. You still haven't invited me to see your wonderful Egyptian collection, you really are too bad! It's been killing me with the suspense." She puts on her best young lady's charm.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Scaevola and his lictors and servants had been moving at a sedate pace, so Caelia was easily able to catch up to them. "Salve, Caelia Alba!" he greeted her with a wide smile. "It is good to see you again. I do apologize for not inviting you sooner. You are most welcome to visit my villa and see my collection. I have matters yet to attend to in Rome this afternoon, but perhaps you would care to come by this evening for supper?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Lupus notices a number of the people he'd seen earlier in the day now entering the theatre. Among them is fellow cavalryman Spurious. Lupus gives him a lazy wave. "Ave young Spurius."

Lupus continues to discreetly make his way to Germanicus and his freakish slave, being very careful not to intrude on any meetings or conversations between the rich, famous and beautiful (Lupus isn't stupid.)
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Supercape »

Ritterton wrote: "The Queen fears that there is trouble amidst that may swirl about the Senate and her beloved Caesar. It could involve individuals who sided against him and his allies, some dark brotherhood could be involved. Would any of that sound familiar to you?"
Cladius froze in panic. His senses and attention were attuned to avoiding a beating, not the games of politicians and nobility. Besides, a wrong word or a loose tongue on such matters was a sure way to torture and death.

"Forgive me, sir, but I cannot speak of such matters. You must make representations to my noble Marth'ter and ask him. Even if I did know, which, being a lowly slave, I do not, I could not possibly speak..." he said uneasily, hopping from foot to foot and risking darting eyes to left and right. He prayed none were paying attention.

"Please forgive me, kind Sir, I beg your forgiveness" he grovelled, lowering his head to waist height.
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by dustakr »

'Fellow Lupus..nice seeing you..' Spurius waves back at Lupus...keeping as much to himself Lupus disappears back into crowd as is caelia alba waiting for something..Spurius now confused as to follow Claudius with Artemis.. or wait for Caelia..he halts at place...thinks of something...then follows Cladius..'Get your act together Cladius..we are not holding you for any wrong doing...speak you mind true before we clear our intention to your master..then it will not be time to speak..' Spurius gets his voice high enough to be heard by people around him...
OOC,I am not sure by now what Spurius is looking for..kind of clueless..
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Ave, citizen," Artemis responded to the tone towards Cladius in the same tone he would have used in his military days. "There is no need for such an approach with a servant as loyal to his master as we have been to the Republic. For surely, if Claudius was aware of any unsavory plots that if brought to light could save his Master, gain him favor with Cleopatra herself and possibly her royal gratitude, he would share those. I suspect we need to look elsewhere, but we have delayed him in his quest, the least we can do is help him carry back that which he was sent to fetch for the Senator."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia smiles, "why not? That would be lovely. I have an appointment early evening but I could come over directly after." She thinks for a moment and then says simply, "I met the Queen today, at her palace." She watches carefully to see what response she gets.
ooc,I'd have rolled psychology here but I don't have it as a skill. (roll:38)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Indeed?" said Scaevola, raising an eyebrow, "And how is Queen Cleopatra?"
OOC,Insight is the Cthulhu Invictus equivalent of Psychology. You have it at 45%, so that roll succeeds.
Caelia Alba,[b]Scaevola[/b] could not fully hide his disdain for the very institution of monarchy, which was not a surprise considering his political leanings and Rome's ancient history of being oppressed by tyrannical kings before the Republic was born. He was also quite obviously attracted to [b]Caelia[/b], and he was clearly hoping supper would turn into something more.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story nods at Lucius while saying in a lowered voice, "Yes, that makes the most sense. Do you want one of us to go with you? Otherwise I suppose we will stick with Caelia for now." Story continues to keep an eye on Caelia so not to loss her. Truth be told he's not quite sure how to proceed yet... after all, they must tread lightly.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Supercape »

Ritterton wrote:"There is no need for such an approach with a servant as loyal to his master as we have been to the Republic. For surely, if Claudius was aware of any unsavory plots that if brought to light could save his Master, gain him favor with Cleopatra herself and possibly her royal gratitude, he would share those. I suspect we need to look elsewhere, but we have delayed him in his quest, the least we can do is help him carry back that which he was sent to fetch for the Senator."
Cladius simply froze, alert for a beating of uncertain savagery.

"My thanks for any aid, Sir" he bowed, fretful. "I am not worthy of your kindness" he bowed, almost bent over double. "It is true that any plot against my Marth'ter would go ill against me, for none other possessed my Marth'ters kindness towards this poor soul. But alas, I have not the wit nor learning to know of any such plots. I am but a Slave, and a poor pathetic slave at that..." he explained, unable to keep the juice of bitterness from his words.

That said, he did pass some of the food and wine to the stronger arms of Artemis.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I cannot do it alone," replied Lucius. "I do not know the backgrounds of the people involved. All of this happened after my time. That said, it could be dangerous as Elizabeth said, so I'd be reluctant to bring her or Brook. On the other hand, if you came with me, it could be equally dangerous for them not to be with us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Well, Claudius be it a soldier, or a slave, both serve the Republic and benefit from it in some small manner," Artemis took the load of supplies with a smile as he spoke to Claudius who was paying for the food. "If something catches your attention in the next few hours, please at least let me know how best to approach. I plan to ask the Senator if he knows why the Queen would be so worried about something happening to the Republic in the days ahead."
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook looks at Lucius. "I can come along. I wrote a paper on Caesar once, and studied quite a bit, I might remember something that's important." She looks to Story. "I'll be careful."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"The Queen is worried. It seems bad times are afoot." Caelia says to Scaevola and then smiles, "You may not like the monarchy but can you imagine Egypt as a republic? I doubt she would be quite so fascinating or have artifacts worth collecting; maybe a few papyrus tax reforms and a governor's staff or two."
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story looks with concern at Brook, "I know you will." He looks at Lucius and says, "Be cautious my friend, none of us should travel alone."
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Grognardsw »

Aricus, ex-gladiator

Aricus stand with Lupus, watching the strangers talking around Claudius with the Senator further back. The ex-gladiator waits until the strangers have left, then approaches Claudius.

"Good day Claudius," he says to the deformed man, showing empathy most don't, given Aricus himself was once a slave of a different sort. "I hope the play kept mind entertained. Are the celebrations at the Senator's villa to happen after the play here? What time should I report for duty?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would sooner imagine Egypt as a Republic than Rome as a monarchy, dear lady," replied Scaevola to Caelia with a smile of his own. "Rome is a Republic, as it should be, and it produces excellent artwork and fascinating people - yourself being a prime example. I'm sure Queen Cleopatra would be just as interesting as she is now were she a patrician in the Republic. What is it exactly that has her worried?"

"Don't worry, Story, I shall protect Brook with my life," said Lucius.

"I know more than a little about history myself," said Elizabeth, "but you may be more knowledgeable on the subject than I am, Brook. Do be careful." She nodded to Story. "What shall we do while they're busy, Story? Or should all four of us stick together?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1”