IC-Ep 1-A Royal Audience(Everyone else)

Story and his companions arrive in Rome in 44 BC, the day before the Ides of March. They encounter a very unusual soothsayer who delivers a warning to Julius Caesar and soon find themselves embroiled in intrigue.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-A Royal Audience(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Our servant Nefertiri is the expert in such matters," said Cleopatra. "We will allow her to answer your question."

"The Black Pharaoh was a tyrant who ruled Egypt in ancient times," said Nefertiri. "Reports of the end of his reign are vague, but there are still those who long for his return. However, they have nothing to do with the Brotherhood of the Beast as far as I know. The Brotherhood of the Beast worships the Sphinx, and in the recent civil war they supported Pompey. We supported Caesar. Pompey fled to Egypt seeking refuge, but he was slain there instead. The Brotherhood may want revenge. I do not know their inner workings or their motivations, however. I do not even know if they are involved in the plot against Caesar for certain, but there is reason to suspect them. It is for you and your friends to determine the truth of the matter."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook Occult roll: [dice]0[/dice]

Brook tensed a bit when the tone grew suspiscious, but relaxed again as the situation diffused. She tries to remember all the names mentioned, comparing them to what she can remember from her essay on Caesar from school.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth pays close attention to what is said, trying to remember the key names, so they can investigate properly, even if - like Story - she does not believe in changing the future.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Occult,Roll: 86 (fail)
Caelia ponders,
"I was supposed to be meeting my father this afternoon. He has spent the morning at the baths with his compatriots, some of which are important senators and generals. I will ask him if he has heard anything odd today. At the games tomorrow I may be able to help backstage with the wounded competitors. Or I could remain with my father and the other nobles near Caesar's box; I don't know where I'd be most useful.

Also, this could get rather dangerous if this Brotherhood of the Beast get wind of our investigations and we should all take precautions to protect ourselves.

And we'd better hurry up if we are to find anything out by tonight!"
She finishes with a wry smile.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Wisely spoken," said Cleopatra to Caelia. "Proceed however you think best with your investigation. If you need anything to help you, you have but to ask."
Brook Davies,[b]Nefertiri[/b]'s description of [b]Pompey[/b]'s end fit with what [b]Brook[/b] knew, but she hadn't mentioned one key thing: when [b]Caesar[/b] saw that [b]Pompey[/b] had been murdered when the assassins brought him his head, he was furious with the killers. They had thought that he would be pleased with them for destroying his enemy, but he was outraged. He had had [b]Pompey[/b]'s betrayers and the Egyptians who had assisted them severely punished, with some of them put to death. [b]Pompey[/b] may have been [b]Caesar[/b]'s enemy, but he was also a former ally and had married [b]Caesar[/b]'s daughter.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

"Well then, I shall proceed to the baths and return here with any news an hour after sunset. Spurius, would you be able to accompany me? In case things get - awkward." Caelia looks at Artemis and Story, "What will you do and is that a convenient time for you all?"
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

"I agree, kind lady," Artemis bowed his head slightly when he addressed the physician. ""I have a room in near the military quarters of the City and can ask some of the fellow retirees about the politics of the City and if there is any word of the Sphinx or Pompey's supporters." Artemis also thought he might try to find one of the leaders of the Mythrium and inquire about any reasons to believe a sense of darkness was rising in the heart of the Republic.
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook looks to Story. "Wasn't Pompey Caesar's son in law? I read he got furious when Pompey was killed. If that Brotherhood is out to get revenge for Pompey, then they should go after those that killed him, not Caesar. Caesar didn't even want him killed."
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC:   I'm stumped for ideas about where to look, not knowing enough about Ancient Rome. Could we try an idea roll or similar to see if our characters have any better ideas? :)  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That much is true," said Nefertiri, "but Caesar himself already punished Pompey's killers. As I said, I do not know their motivations for certain, but I believe they seek power in its many forms. They backed Pompey in the civil war, and they may have been more angered at the lost opportunity his death presented. Perhaps there is something more at play here. Perhaps they wish to rule Rome, and Caesar is in their way."
OOC,Yes, everyone is free to roll Idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by dustakr »

Spurius agreeing to what Caelia asked...'We better take leave from this palace..any chance you might need more Cavalry support to where you are going...' 'do these brotherhood have any place to live where we can go and have talk with them...' Spurius questions whereabouts of brotherhood to Nefertiri.
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth rolling Idea (stat 65%)
[dice]0[/dice]
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

OOC:   idea 70 [dice]0[/dice]  
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia Idea (85%) roll: 52
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story opens his mouth to respond to Brook, but when Nefertiri answers he merely closes his mouth and smiles nodding in agreement.
FAILURE,[url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=showone&id=77358&macid=0]Idea 65% - [1d100] = 77[/url]
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by dustakr »

IDEA roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If the Brotherhood of the Beast operates in Rome," Nefertiri told Spurius, "it is in secret, as is most everything they do. If only we knew where they were, it would be easier to root them out."
Elizabeth Young,[b]Elizabeth[/b] knew exactly who the leaders of the plot against [b]Caesar[/b] were by nature of being from the future: [b]Brutus[/b] and [b]Cassius[/b]. Seeing who they associated with, perhaps even infiltrating their organization, might be a way of learning if there was anyone involved who was connected to the Brotherhood of the Beast. Another thing occurred to her. Perhaps some of those supporting [b]Caesar[/b] had their own agenda, just as the Brotherhood of the Beast did by supporting [b]Pompey[/b].
Brook Davies,[b]Brook[/b] did recall reading something about [b]Germanicus[/b] doing research for her school paper. He had been a Senator and a staunch ally of [b]Caesar[/b]'s. He was barely more than a historical footnote, and most people in her time would not have heard of him.
Caelia Alba/Artemis Gaius Sylvius,Talking to [b]Germanicus[/b] was probably the best place to start. Not only was he unflinchingly loyal to [b]Caesar[/b], but he had wealth, power, resources, and connections. If anyone could lead the effort, it would be him. At this time of day, he would probably be in the Theater of Pompey, taking in the holiday entertainment.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"I might be able to talk to the Senator Germanicus," Artemis shared aloud. "I had run into him in the Forum earlier and might be able to recall where he and his odd manservant were heading."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Caelia nods, "Germanicus would definitely be worth talking to. We'll walk with you at least as far as the baths. Let's go. Are you ready Spurius? We'll take our leave now if we may, O Queen?"
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"I would be truly honored, kind lady," Artemis bowed his head slight to Caelia. He turned towards the Queen and her servant, capturing a look of the legend of the Republic then bowed deeply. "Your majesty, truly I am your humble servant and ask your leave in hopes of stopping this evil brotherhood's plans."

Return to “Episode 1”