IC-Ep 1-A Royal Audience(Everyone else)

Story and his companions arrive in Rome in 44 BC, the day before the Ides of March. They encounter a very unusual soothsayer who delivers a warning to Julius Caesar and soon find themselves embroiled in intrigue.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-A Royal Audience(Everyone else)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You know of the plot?" asked Nefertiri, raising a kohl-shadowed eyebrow. "Please, tell me your news. Any piece of information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, could be the key to preserving Caesar's life. You may know things we do not."
OOC,[b]Story[/b], [b]Elizabeth[/b], and [b]Brook[/b], you may roll History.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story nods at Caelia while quickly re-evaluating everything he knows so far before speaking.
SUCCESS,[url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=showone&id=74581&macid=0]History 55% - [1d100] = 27[/url]
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Story,[b]Story[/b] knew quite a bit about the assassination of [b]Julius Caesar[/b]. He knew that it would happen tomorrow, on the Ides of March, in the Theater of Pompey. A group of Senators who believed they were slaying a tyrant to save the Republic conspired to kill him, but instead they plunged the Republic into a new civil war that resulted in it becoming the Roman Empire. The most prominent Senators involved were [b]Gaius Cassius Longinus[/b] and [b]Marcus Brutus[/b], the latter of whom had been [b]Caesar[/b]'s protege, but he knew the names of a few others. [b]Decimus Brutus Albinus[/b]. who had been mentioned by [b]Adelphus[/b] and [b]Nefertiri[/b], was not to be confused with [b]Marcus Brutus[/b], though the two of them had been related. [b]Servilius Casca[/b] was another of the conspirators who had gotten cold feet. On the day of the assassination, he went and told [b]Marc Antony[/b] of the plot, but the general had not moved quickly enough to save [b]Caesar[/b]. When [b]Caesar[/b] had gone to the Theater of Pompey to attend gladiatorial games sponsored by [b]Albinus[/b], he had been lured into a side chamber on the pretext that [b]Lucius Tillius Cimber[/b], another of the conspirators, wanted to present him with a petition to rescind the exile of his brother. The Senators surrounded and stabbed [b]Caesar[/b] repeatedly. [b]Story[/b] couldn't help but be concerned at the danger of changing history. He was in the presence of people who wanted to save [b]Caesar[/b] - at least one of whom appeared to not be human. Any information they revealed to them could help them to achieve their end, which they had failed to do in the history with which he was familiar.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth rolling History (stat 70%)
[dice]0[/dice]
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook rolling history (20 %)
[dice]0[/dice]
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by dustakr »

Spurius in all curiousness mumbles from back so that only group can hear but not Nefertiri and Adelphus ...'Arent we supposed to ask questions instead of giving away what we know...can we not invite them to town for healthy and friendly talk..they will also enjoy festival at forum?'
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

While Spurius mumbles to the group Story momentarily turns away from Caelia and Nefertiri. Then turning back around he says, "Foretold events are not something that can be messed with my dear Nefertiri. Adelphus should know that. When an attempt to subvert Fate does occur she has a tendency to lash out in the most nasty of ways. Tread lightly for Fate heeds no one, human..." Briefly glancing at Adelphus, "or otherwise."
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis' mind races with the information that has been shared with him. Who would plot such a thing against Ceasar, surely not someone in the military, he thought to himself. He catches the eyes of the woman who had shared this news and asked for their collective assistance. He smiles and nods in agreement indicating that he would help with her efforts.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Elizabeth Young,[b]Elizabeth[/b] knew the basic facts about the assassination of [b]Julius Caesar[/b]. She knew that it would happen tomorrow, on the Ides of March, in or around the Forum. A group of Senators who believed they were slaying a tyrant to save the Republic conspired to kill him, but instead they plunged the Republic into a new civil war that resulted in it becoming the Roman Empire. The most prominent Senators involved were [b]Gaius Cassius Longinus[/b] and [b]Marcus Brutus[/b], the latter of whom had been [b]Caesar[/b]'s protege. The Senators had surrounded and stabbed [b]Caesar[/b] repeatedly. [b]Elizabeth[/b] couldn't help but be concerned at the danger of changing history. She was in the presence of people who wanted to save [b]Caesar[/b] - at least one of whom appeared to not be human. Any information they revealed to them could help them to achieve their end, which they had failed to do in the history with which she was familiar.
Brook Davies,[b]Brook[/b] knew an awful lot about the assassination of [b]Julius Caesar[/b], as she had written a paper on the subject for school shortly before she had run away and joined the TARDIS crew. She knew that it would happen tomorrow, on the Ides of March, in the Theater of Pompey. A group of Senators who believed they were slaying a tyrant to save the Republic conspired to kill him, but instead they plunged the Republic into a new civil war that resulted in it becoming the Roman Empire between rivals to succeed him, [b]Marc Antony[/b] and [b]Octavian Caesar[/b] (the nephew of [b]Julius Caesar[/b] and his declared heir), the latter of whom ultimately prevailed. [b]Cleopatra[/b] had a son she named [b]Caesarion[/b], allegedly [b]Julius Caesar[/b]'s son, though it was debatable whether or not he was truly the boy's father. She joined forces with [b]Marc Antony[/b], but [b]Octavian[/b] ultimately prevailed and made sure [b]Caesarion[/b] was killed. Then he took the name Augustus and became the first Roman Emperor. The most prominent Senators involved in the plot were [b]Gaius Cassius Longinus[/b] and [b]Marcus Junius Brutus[/b], the latter of whom had been [b]Caesar[/b]'s protege (and some said his son, though the truth of that was questionable), but she knew the names of many of the others. [b]Decimus Brutus Albinus[/b]. who had been mentioned by [b]Adelphus[/b] and [b]Nefertiri[/b], was not to be confused with [b]Marcus Brutus[/b], though the two of them had been related. [b]Marcus Brutus[/b]'s mother [b]Servilia[/b] had been [b]Caesar[/b]'s former mistress. She was not believed to be involved, though she had sheltered her son and his co-conspirators at her home after the assassination. [b]Servilius Casca[/b] was another of the conspirators who had gotten cold feet. On the day of the assassination, he went and told [b]Marc Antony[/b] of the plot, but the general had not moved quickly enough to save [b]Caesar[/b]. [b]Caesar[/b] had at first decided to stay home that morning, persuaded by his wife [b]Calpurnia[/b], who had had an ominous dream the night before. However, [b]Albinus[/b] visited him and convinced him to come to the Theater of Pompey, where [b]Albinus[/b] had arranged gladiatorial games. By the time [b]Antony[/b] had gotten to his home, [b]Caesar[/b] had already left. When [b]Caesar[/b] had gone to the Theater of Pompey, he had been lured into a side chamber on the pretext that [b]Lucius Tillius Cimber[/b], another of the conspirators, wanted to present him with a petition to rescind the exile of his brother. The Senators had surrounded and stabbed [b]Caesar[/b] repeatedly. Following [b]Caesar[/b]'s death, the people were outraged. The murderers had thought people would thank them, but [b]Caesar[/b] had been very popular with the masses. When nobody took immediate action against the killers, the people rioted, setting numerous fires (which were a huge danger in ancient Rome). Eventually rivals [b]Marc Antony[/b] and [b]Octvian[/b] teamed up to fight the assassins and their supporters, defeating them in the end. However, once they had been dealt with, the two became bitter foes. [b]Brook[/b] couldn't help but be concerned at the danger of changing history. She was in the presence of people who wanted to save [b]Caesar[/b] - at least one of whom appeared to not be human. Any information they revealed to them could help them to achieve their end, which they had failed to do in the history with which she was familiar. [spoiler][b]Brook[/b], with that critical success, anything you know or can research regarding [b]Caesar[/b]'s assassination, you can assume that your character knows it too. In addition, I may give you relevant information that comes up later.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We thank you for your support and aid," Nefertiri told Artemis. "In addition to sharing information with us, we could use you to be our eyes and ears in Rome. Unearth whatever you can find in your investigations, and report it back to us. Time is short, so we must move quickly."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Caelia says to Nefertiri, "I'm afraid I have no knowledge personally, yet; but I have good connections and may be able to find something out if you know where I could look. I may also be on hand at the games tomorrow, helping to patch up the wounded competitors."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Excellent," said Nefertiri, smiling at Caelia. "I knew we could depend upon you."

Adelphus had been deep in thought at Spurius's words. "Is it even possible to cheat Fate, I wonder?" he said.

"If everything is predestined, why do anything?" Nefertiri replied. "Why strive towards a goal? Why eat? Why even breathe? If you were fated to live, would you not still live? No, there is no fate but what we choose, Adelphus."

"And yet, my auguries have always come to pass."

"What is the good in knowing the future if you cannot do anything about it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

"Kind lady," Artemis turns towards Nefertiri and addresses her, "are there certain people we should be looking for regarding this plot against Caesar?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Caelia turns in surprise as Artemis speaks and then tries to hide her puzzlement; who is this person? He certainly wasn't with them outside the palace and she doesn't remember him coming in with the group. She hopes she isn't asked to explain his presence too. Still, he seems alright and helpful enough.

She regains her composure and says to Adelpus, "I have treated many people for sickness and injury; some came before me with foretold certainty that this was their end, but, with medical intervention they went on to live for many more years. The gods may decide our ultimate fate but maybe they look favourably on those who make an effort to help themselves." She casts a brief eye up to watch out for thunderbolts.
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

OOC,does offering Adelphus / Nefertiri my service as bodyguard back in town or for next day..will it blow my current cover as bodyguard, also did Adelphus saw me in forum, same way I spotted him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Wisely spoken," said Nefertiri to Caelia.

"Indeed, you are as wise as you are beautiful," said Adelphus. "Your patients' fates were not avoided, merely postponed. All men must die in the end, for they are all mortal. We could save Caesar, and my vision could still come to pass at a later time. Who is to say that my vision will not be fulfilled on the Ides of March in a future year, or that Caesar will not be merely wounded rather than slain? As to who may be involved in this plot, I suspect the gladiator Aricus Callidus Gladio. He chased me back at the Forum, but I managed to elude him. There is also Senator Decimus Brutus Albinus. He has arranged for the gladiator to fight in his games tomorrow. I do not know who else to suspect."
Spurius,You don't know if [b]Adelphus[/b] saw you or not. It's up to you whether or not you want to ask him. If you are posing as [b]Caelia[/b]'s bodyguard, offering your services to [b]Adelphus[/b] and [b]Nefertiri[/b] may look rather odd. If [b]Caelia[/b] makes the offer to lend you to them, however, that probably wouldn't arouse suspicion. Of course, you'd still have to find a way to communicate the notion to her without them hearing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook stands thinking, frowning a bit as she struggles with her dilemma. Glancing to Story, she shrugs a little and gives a half smile, not sure what to do.
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple

Post by jaysun81 »

Story looks at Adelphus and says, "It will come to pass. There is no stopping it, the only thing for you to do is prepare for it. Do not be a fool and tinker about with things that are not yours to change. You were graced with a glimpse to prepare... not stall, not alter." Stroking his chin he continues, "I'm telling you... don't. Don't change what the heavens have decreed. Everything has a season and whether good or bad they must come to an end. All we can do is make the most of the time we've been granted. Your gift is just that... a gift, to prepare you and those closest to you. Again, I urge you do not attempt to cheat fate..." Looking around at everyone he says, "Some events, some circumstances are meant to happen in a very specific way... to disturb the event will have ramifications that will reverberate through time and forever change the future." Returning his gaze to Adelphus he concludes, "You my good Adelphis are no Lord of time, merely a favored servant as your gift attests to. Use it wisely!"
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I just don't know..." said Adelphus. "If Caesar falls, all is lost!"

"Perhaps not," said Nefertiri, deep in thought. "There may be another way, but we must at least do our best to save him. I cannot stand by and do nothing, knowing that he will die if I do not act. In any case, seeking out the truth of this matter is not the same as altering the events to come. There are dark forces at work here that must be stopped. And if, despite our best efforts, we fall to stop them, Caesar must still be avenged."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by dustakr »

'...let me also help..'Spurius looking down to floor standing still...'lady Caelia, give me chance to help these people..'; Spurius then looks towards Adelphus;'i can be on guard duty for you back at forum, in case anyone tries to chase you back to the Palace...again'

Return to “Episode 1”