IC-Ep 1-A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum(All)

Story and his companions arrive in Rome in 44 BC, the day before the Ides of March. They encounter a very unusual soothsayer who delivers a warning to Julius Caesar and soon find themselves embroiled in intrigue.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum(A

Post by Thorn »

Brook steps aside, gaping a little. "Wow.....The man himself...Look at him. Posh, isn't he...."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus turns to see the spectacle of Caesar arriving on the Forum. This man was without a doubt the lord of this realm, the son of Venus, and the true captain at the helm of the Republic. Germanicus deeply respected Caesar for his military genius as well as for his political acumen, and he was ill-favoured to such a concentration of power in one man, he knew that this was the right man for the job. The Republic was sick, but here came its miracle healer. He gave Caelia Alba a friendly smile and turned to great the Imperator.

"Ave Gaius Julius Caesar! I trust the day finds you well?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by jaysun81 »

Story steps aside with his companions. Saying nothing for the moment he merely observes Caesar.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

The crowd melted away before Caesar and his followers, cheering his arrival. Caesar was very popular with the common people. He waved to the masses, then made eye contact with Germanicus and beckoned him through the ring of lictors surrounding him. The laurel wreath atop his pate that he had been wearing for the last month made him look even more distinguished. "Salve, Tiberius Tullius Germanicus! The day finds me well indeed! I trust the same can be said for you? In a few days I depart to lead my legions to glorious victory over the hated Parthians! Would that I had you fighting by my side again!"

The old man hobbled forward, approaching Caesar until two of the lictors crossed their rods in front of him, bringing him to a halt. "Tomorrow will not find you so well, mighty Caesar!"

Caesar smiled, waving for him to be allowed through. "So you have said before, Adelphus. We shall see."

As Titus Iunius Philo observed the sky for omens, he and Aricus Callidus Gladio were approached by Decimus Brutus Albinus, who had arrived with Caesar. The Praetor Peregrinus, a pale man of about forty years, was not to be confused with Marcus Brutus, Caesar's protege, though both of them were his distant cousins. "Salve, Gladio!" he said. "It has been far too long since I have seen you fight. I'm putting together gladiatorial games at the Theater of Pompey tomorrow to celebrate the Ides. While I have gladiators of my own, you would be a fine addition to tomorrow's matches, guaranteed to draw a huge crowd! I would pay you handsomely of course, and the purse that goes to the champion - which I'm sure you would have no trouble winning - is even more generous."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Lupus opened one eye and regarded the approaching entourage. With a slight groan he sat up and chugged back the last of whatever was in his jug, then left it by a statue. Lupus hauled himself to his feet and straightened his tunic and overcloak to an acceptable military standard. Once neat enough, he ambled over closer to Caesar’s entourage just to do a bit of tourist gawping. Closer but not close enough to stand out among the throng.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus smils at the offer and nods.

"The day finds me well, and we are blessed by a breeze from Ostia to freshen our noses.
You know too well my loathing for the Parthians and my distaste for the smell of the City in the summer, Caesar. My daughter has been howling for Parthian blood ever since Carrhae, and I suppose it is time I acted the obliging father.
"

He shrugs, looks towards the Theatre of Pompey, where the Senate gathered whilst the Curia Julia was being completed, and back at Caesar.

"I shall be glad to change robes for leather again, and honoured to ride by your side once more. When you assemble the legions, I shall be there too. But who will stay behind to protect the Senate from itself if both Caesar and Germanicus are in Parthia?" The last, he added jestingly.

Germanicuseyed Adelphus with a certain suspicion.

"Whatever the case may be, let me then make sure you at least dine well. Would you accept to dine on the Ides at my house, Caesar, or are you otherwise occupied?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Caesar smiled broadly. "It will be good to ride with you again, old friend," he said. "With Marcus Antonius on my right flank and you on my left, victory is assured! I'm sure Marcus Brutus can manage the Senate in our absence. The young man shows great promise. And I would be pleased to dine with you tomorrow evening!"

"We make plans," said Adelphus as he made his way through the throng to stand before Caesar, "and the gods laugh."

"I think my plans have worked out well for me so far. I'm in the most enviable position!"

"Yes, and there are many who envy you. You would be wise to exercise caution."

"Nonsense! I am the undisputed ruler of Rome, perpetual dictator. Who would dare to challenge me?"

"My visions were unclear. I do not know the source of the danger, only that it surrounds you. I say again to beware the Ides of March! I beg of you, great Caesar, leave Rome tonight while you still can!" He grasped the fringe of Caesar's toga.

One of the lictors snapped into action, knocking Adelphus to the ground with his rod. "How dare you lay a hand upon Caesar?!" he snarled.

"He meant no harm," said Caesar, raising a hand. "I believe him to be sincere, if sincerely wrong. Come, Germanicus, accompany me to the Theater of Pompey. Rome does not rule itself!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus nods affirmingly and nods.

"With Marcus Antonius at our side, we'll be in danger of running out of wine before we reach the Hellespont. I'll make to serve amply tomorrow evening!"

After the exchange with Adelphus, Germanicus adds.

"Leave at our finest hour? When we cut the cancer from the heart of the Republic and see it arise from its ashes like the fenix? Allow us to make to make the future, haruspex, that you may be allowed to see it more clearly."

Germanicus removes a ring, worth a at least some denarii, from his little finger and hands it to the soothsayer.

"We thank you for your counsel, Adelphus, here, eat and drink. None should go wanting on the feast of Mars."

With that he falls into step with Caesar as they walk to the Theatre.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

Titus observes the birds for a few moments and is perturbed. "Aricus Callidus Gladio, of you I see only little - of Rome I see more. Death and war are coming to Rome and soon, but there will be glory for those who would have it. That would be you perhaps?" Titus apologizes and breaks away to get closer to Caesar and his men watching the two nobles babble. Adelphus was far more interesting to him and when he was knocked down Titus moved to assist him. Picking the man up off of the street.

"I would not be so quick to dismiss good Adelphus, his sights have been true and I myself have seen that death soon comes to Rome." Titus says.

OOC,Sorry for the delayed post, things have been crazy and then I had some information in my PMs that I couldn't access yesterday.
hexelis
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by hexelis »

Lucius stands by with Story, Brook and Elisabeth, merely taking it all in.
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook frowns as the old man gets knocked away, then watches as another moves in to help him up. Turning to Lucius, she asks:"So...what are the sights? The Circus? Lions and gladiators? I must say, some of these folks are very Russell Crowe..."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"See, that is why I'm glad you'll be campaigning with me, Germanicus!" said Caesar. "You've always had a genius for logistics. We'll need a hundred thousand amphorae of wine. That should satisfy Antonius. Then another hundred thousand should be enough for the legions."

Germanicus and Philo both knelt down to help Adelphus.
Tiberius Tullius Germanicus/Titus Iunius Philo,As the two men bent down, they were shocked to see that [b]Adelphus[/b] no longer had a man's face. His skin was covered in purple scales, and he had a look like that of a snake. This was visible only for a second, and then his features were suddenly those of a wrinkled old man. [spoiler]Both of you, please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d6, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed or 1d6 Sanity if you fail. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, please roll Idea. If you fail the Idea roll, you may act normally. If you succeed at it, you will go temporarily insane.[/spoiler]
OOC,Everyone other than [b]Germanicus[/b] and [b]Philo[/b], please roll Spot Hidden.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by yockenthwaite »

OOC,[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4866137/]Rolling Spot Hidden (stat 48%) as Caesar is carried through Forum (1d100=94)[/url]
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Sanity-80: success!,[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by DrPeterson on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus froze for the briefest of instances, his instincts telling him to fight or flee, his training and iron will forcing him to hold his composure. He straightens himself and stares at Adelphus.

"Your ill words darken these festive days, Adelphus. We will sacrifice a white bull at the temple of Jupiter Capitolinus and a lamb at the temple of Venus Genetrix, Caesar and Aeneas's patroness. Surely the Fates will be appeased then?"

Apart from shadows in the Germanic and Gaulic forests, Germanicus had never before been this close to the gods or their creatures. He had read about all manner of fantastic beasts, of course, but had never seen anything so..so otherworldly.
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Grognardsw »

Mr. Handy wrote: for him to be allowed through. "As Titus Iunius Philo observed the sky for omens, he and Aricus Callidus Gladio were approached by Decimus Brutus Albinus, who had arrived with Caesar. The Praetor Peregrinus, a pale man of about forty years, was not to be confused with Marcus Brutus, Caesar's protege, though both of them were his distant cousins. "Salve, Gladio!" he said. "It has been far too long since I have seen you fight. I'm putting together gladiatorial games at the Theater of Pompey tomorrow to celebrate the Ides. While I have gladiators of my own, you would be a fine addition to tomorrow's matches, guaranteed to draw a huge crowd! I would pay you handsomely of course, and the purse that goes to the champion - which I'm sure you would have no trouble winning - is even more generous."
Aricus considers Decimus' invitation to fight in the arena. It has been some time since he trod blood stained sands. The allure was still there, though the ex-gladiator was getting on in years. His employer would be none too happy to have an injured, or dead, Aricus. Yet the purse would likely be several years salary.

"Aye, I will bring sword to bear again," answers Aricus.

Spot Hidden [1d100] = 19
Thorn
Adept
Adept

Post by Thorn »

Brook spot hidden 45 % [dice]0[/dice]
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 12 years

Post by CrackheadC. »

Titus shudders at the sight, pulls his hand back and barely maintains his composure, "The rumors... they're true?" As quickly as the sight was there it was gone, Titus looked around to see if anyone else had noticed.

"Right...Yes, perhaps you are right. A suitable sacrifice might do it." He says stunned.

Roll,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/324723]SAN Roll (65)[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]64[/b]
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by andyw666 »

Roll,Lupus has a Spot Hidden skill of 35% and rolls [dice]0[/dice]
Still trying to wake up, Lupus was largely oblivious to events. He may have over-indulged the last eve.

"Oh, my head." Lupus rubbed his temples and swore in Gallic.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Aricus Callidus Gladio,[b]Aricus[/b] was shocked to see that [b]Adelphus[/b] no longer had a man's face. His skin was covered in purple scales, and he had a look like that of a snake. This was visible only for a second, and then his features were suddenly those of a wrinkled old man. [spoiler][b]Gladio[/b], please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d6, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed or 1d6 Sanity if you fail. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, please roll Idea. If you fail the Idea roll, you may act normally. If you succeed at it, you will go temporarily insane.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Episode 1”