IC-Ep 1-A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum(All)

Story and his companions arrive in Rome in 44 BC, the day before the Ides of March. They encounter a very unusual soothsayer who delivers a warning to Julius Caesar and soon find themselves embroiled in intrigue.

Moderator: Mr. Handy

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: IC-Ep 1-A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum(A

Post by DrPeterson »

Germanicus smiled patiently.He had a great fondness for soldiers and the simpler life they led away from the intrigue and corruption of the city.

"Do not worry, soldier, it is no secret that I hold our veterans in the highest regard, indeed I count many among my clientes. And Caesar himself has praised the Belgae as the most worthy and brave. Rome could wish for no stouter defenders on her Germanic borders. However, you have found us in the midst of our festivities and such business will not be conducted by the Senate ere the week is through."

Germanicus stared longingly at the Pompeian Theatre.

"However, if you'd would dictate your request and the specifics of those pleading-make sure to include the full names and servie record of all members of the Legio Quinque Gallica- to my servant,"
He indicates the hideous creature standing not far from him.
"I'll make sure to bring your request to the attention of the Senate."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Supercape
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Supercape »

Claudius shuffled forward, keeping his head down.

"Yes, Marth'ter" he muttered in obedience. He didn't have a lisp normally, but somehow he had blurted the word out repeatedly after split lips and beatings, pleading for Mercy, and he had taken to unconsciously dribbling the word 'Master' out in that style.

He hated being looked at. How the fates had urinated on him. How the Gods had laughed at his form. Never to experience love or tenderness. Why should he suffer so? And now, more stares and glares.

Dutifully, he pulled out pen and parchment to record, in his limited way, the details...
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook looks curiously at Story and Lucius, obviously something was going on. Something she hadn't seen. She glances around the Forum, catching herself staring at the hooded servant, before looking towards Caesar again. "You think we could get his autograph or something? That'd be cool." She smiles at Elisabeth.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis started, really he listened, he thought to himself. Truly, Fortuna has smiled upon me, and with that he bowed again towards the Senator. "Thank you sir, truly thank you. Very appreciated, I will walk with your servant and you so you are not further delayed. This meeting was more than I could have hoped for today."

Artemis fell in step with Claudius and controlled his initial shock at the appearance of the Senator's hood servant. Wearing his business smile, as his daughter would call it, he began reciting the names needed.

"Well, in addition to myself, I am Artemis Gauis Sylvius, signifier in the Gallic auxilliary, there is Martin Oppius Sellic, the Centurion in the Legio Quinque Gallica I mentioned. There is also Marcus Publius Lutatius, a retired legionnaire of the same Legio and my business partner in the horses I brought here. Tiberius Babudius also retired from that Legio, he drinks a bit more than he should, but mostly is a good man." Artemis continued to name the names of his fellow comrades in the community of the Mont hoping that the list would result in some sanction of their hopes and goals.

When he finished, he turned to Claudius directly, and tapped his shoulder in thanks. Yes, the servant's countenance was a challenge, but Artemis always felt that the simple jesture of thanks was one not given out often enough. "Thank you for your attention to this. Truly I am grateful."
jaysun81
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by jaysun81 »

To his companions Story says, "It may be best if we steer clear of direct interaction with Caesar for the time being." Looking back towards the seer. "However, I think I wish to speak with the seer as it seems he is looking to beat feet. Perhaps we should provide him a casual, non-threatening conversation? Hmmm." Upon seeing Aricus release his grip on Adelphus, Story again begins to make progress towards the old seer.
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Faith, good Adelphus, let us away. If the most graced among us seeks to ignore the heedings of the gods then who are we to protest? Mayhaps we can avert disaster ourselves." Titus attempts to calmly lead Adelphus out of the Forum towards Palatine hill.

OOC,Do Adelphus and Titus have any degree of familiarity? I imagine that renown / tested and true seers would have at least some knowledge of each other.
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Grognardsw »

Aricus, ex-gladiator

Unsatisfied with Alephus' answer, Aricus falls back from the crowd around Caesar and Germanicus. He watches the sychophants for but a moment before seeing the other seer Titus approach Adelphus. The two talk. Aricus wonders if these seers are up to something. He follows them at a distance.
hexelis
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by hexelis »

Lucius follows Story casting a weary eye about.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Claudius jotted down the names on a wax tablet with his stylus, as there was no way to write with ink and parchment while walking. The names could be transcribed later. It was difficult to keep up with Artemis, as it was hard to write as fast as he spoke. He had heard that Cicero's slave Tiro had invented a system to write things down quickly, but he had never been able to cipher out how to do it himself.

"Yes, thank you," said Adelphus to Titus Iunius Philo. "The sun is too bright this morning, and it addles the minds of men, making them see things that are not truly there. Perhaps if we found some shade, we could have a more private discussion."

The group began to break up, with Germanicus, Claudius, and Artemis walking alongside Caesar's entourage towards the Theater of Pompey. While no official business would be conducted during the holidays today or tomorrow, there would be entertainments there, and there were always opportunities for unofficial business. Today a play was to be presented, and tomorrow Albinus had arranged for gladiatorial combat to take place there. Meanwhile, Titus Iunius Philo and Adelphus walked in the direction of the Palatine Hill, with Aricus following at what he hoped was a discreet distance.
OOC,[b]Philo[/b], you've never met [b]Adelphus[/b] before, but you do have the knowledge of him that I gave you as a result of your Know roll. He may have heard of you as well, but he has given no sign of it. [b]Aricus[/b], please roll Hide to try to blend in with the crowds as you follow. Even if you fail, it's still possible you won't be noticed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Indeed, a spot of shade or maybe a bench - the heat can play tricks on the mind and the eye.." Titus walked alongside the man, only helping him to walk if he seemed unstable. "Perhaps something on the the Palatine overlooking the city would be best, don't you think? You can tell me what you see for our city that I don't yet." With no objections the pair will head to a suitable spot of Adelphus' choosing.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Atop the hill is unlikely to be shady," said Adelphus. "It is still morning, so the sun is in the east. We'll want to go around the west side of the hill." He walked slowly alongside Titus.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Grognardsw
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Grognardsw »

Aricus Hide,[url=http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=showone&id=69935&macid=0]Hide [1d100] = 97[/url]
yockenthwaite
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 17 years

Post by yockenthwaite »

Elizabeth follows Lucius, saying to Brook as she goes "Are you coming too? I think we should stick together for now."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Aricus found that the forum was packed with people out celebrating the holiday, but he could still see his quarry above them as he was at least a head taller than most men. They slowed down his movements to a crawl, and the augurs were getting further ahead of him. He had to resort to muscling his way through the crowd, which while effective, was far from subtle. Story and his companions were easily able to follow in the huge gladiator's wake.

Adelphus glanced back, his eyes wide. "That brute of a gladiator is following me!" he gasped. Turning on his heel and moving with a speed that wouldn't seem possible for one his age, he bolted to the right up the side of the Palatine Hill, leaving Titus behind.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by dustakr »

spot hidden roll,[dice]0[/dice]
Spurius Papirius Valens was late to the forum of its first day of celebrating holidays...it was crowded already, their lot was going on with higher ups..as he manages to point out figure of emperor..he started recognizing whos who around emperor he have, or he thinks he must have seen before..senator in particular with all his entourage around him.. waited a while lingering around senate building..then dispersed in crowd back again enjoying the celebration.
Spoiler:
I am not sure if I can came to forum with Armour weapons and hoarse or with toga and coins to enjoy forum celebration.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,It's not legal to carry weapons or wear armor on the streets of Rome, so you would probably be wearing a toga with money to spend. However, you would likely have a knife concealed on your person, even if not very well. While it was illegal, many people in Rome carried one.
Spurius Papirius Valens,[b]Spurius[/b] was shocked to see that when [b]Adelphus[/b] had been on the ground, he no longer had a man's face. His skin was covered in purple scales, and he had a look like that of a snake. This was visible only for a second, and then his features were suddenly those of a wrinkled old man. [spoiler][b]Spurius[/b], please roll Sanity. Sanity loss is 0/1d6, so you lose no Sanity if you succeed or 1d6 Sanity if you fail. If you lose 5 or more Sanity, please roll Idea. If you fail the Idea roll, you may act normally. If you succeed at it, you will go temporarily insane.[/spoiler]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
andyw666
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by andyw666 »

Lupus deftly flicked some coins to a street vendor and collected a bag each of nuts and olives, and a skin of wine. He had been planning to head for the Theatre of Pompeii but noticed Aricus failing to hide from the old seer.

Now what?

Following Aricus and stopping him assaulting some old codger seemed more amusing than watching plays (or more likely watching the ladies in the audience at the Theatre). Lupus started discreetly following Aricus.

Surely protecting seers will win me some small love from the gods?
Hide Roll,Lupus has a Hide skill of 40% and rolls [dice]0[/dice]
dustakr
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by dustakr »

Spurius was more of calm at that point in time even hearing slow but rythmic enchanting voices for Equiria not far from where he was standing...cheering of people were at peak for performers, he was also lot more relaxed today for attending today's play ..sudden bump at back distracted his attention from play..he turns back, and watches to the very old man in front him fumbling towards ground..Spurius helps old man before his fall on ground..'Are you well, old brother..' and his words falls shot to what he sees in front of him...

old man moves away from his sight in blink making way for himself hurriedly through crowd...
Spurius eyes were staring at blank....he then runs his eyes through crowd spotting old man again from his cloths,
Sanity check,[dice]0[/dice]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Anyone wishing to follow [b]Adelphus[/b], please make a Resistance Table roll pitting your DEX against his DEX of 10 on 1d100. If your DEX is also 10, this means you succeed on a 50 or less. For every point your DEX is above 10, this increases the number at which you succeed by 5 (so a 15 DEX means you succeed on a 75 or less). Likewise, for every point your DEX is below 10, this reduces the number you need to succeed by 5 (so a 6 DEX means you only succeed on a 20 or less). If you have another destination in mind, or if you prefer to stay in the forum, please let me know that as well. Once I have everyone's intentions, I'll split off into different threads.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Thorn
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Thorn »

Brook follows Story and the others, not wanting to get separated from them in the busy forum.

Return to “Episode 1”