[IC - SCENE 7] The Hunting Lodge

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC - SCENE 7] The Hunting Lodge

Post by Overlord87 »

The hunting lodge where you decided to hide Madeleine is a few chilometers south of Paris. Jacques gets there first, followed shortly after by the other three. The lodge is an old wooden building, on two floors, capable of hosting comfortably half a dozen people. It's lost in the beautiful countryside, not far from a little blue lake, and for the first time in a while, war seems a far away problem.

There are three gendarme guarding Madeleine. They report that nothing unusual has happened, and the prisoner has not tried anything suspicious. You find her in a bedroom on the second floor, with windows barred from the outside, and a guard at her door. She doesn't seem particularly worried by her situation, though, and smiles as she sees you.

"Good evening, gentlemen. You probably did not have a fine time in Verchanne, but I trust it must have been an instructive experience"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC - SCENE 7] The Hunting Lodge

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You might very well say that, Madame," says Jacques with a wry expression. "We have seen what you wanted us to see there. Two of my friends bear its wounds, as you can see. I shot it three times, twice in vital spots, and still it survived and escaped."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

Francois doesn't enter. He introduces himself to the Gendarmes guarding it then does a circuit of the grounds looking to see if he can find any suspicious tracks, once satisfied he moves away from the house and finds himself somewhere with good sightlines all around but especially towards the house.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"You... fought... it? What?", she seems surprised for a second, then she exclaims: "Oh! Oh God... you met a ghoul, didn't you? Nothing else would walk in Verchanne these days, but I hadn't thought...". She stops for a second, then adds: "I'm sorry, I didn't want to put you in danger. But you had to see, what we did there... the reason why it must never be done again".
Francois,All seems calm outside, for now. You hide in the brushes, about twenty meters from the house, and starts your watch.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's called a ghoul?" says Jacques. "Does that mean it...eats the dead? I can see why it would be drawn to Verchanne, for there were plenty of dead there. We saw them as well, and I do understand why the weapon should never be used again, as I'm sure Monsieur Dupont must have when he saw its effects.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"I'm glad we can agree on this. That's why we chose to hide the book. In a safe place, where no one will find it. But only if I manage to disappear. Or else...", she stops for a few seconds then continues, wearing a tired expression on her face: "Or else you can kill me. That would work, too".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I will not kill you" says Jacques. "I can't let you go, either. I take it this book has the instructions for manufacturing the weapon. I'm glad you were the one who removed it and put it somewhere safe. I had been worried that the Germans had gotten their hands on it. If you tell us where you've hidden it, we can go take care of it."
OOC,Using Reassurance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Madeleine nods weakly: "Very well. But there will be sacrifices to make, and before we are done, you'll regret making this choice. I'll ask you one more time... are you truly sure?"
François,From your hidden position, you see a group of hooded figures closing in on the house. You count ten of them, all wrapped in heavy black robes, face hidden.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Keeper,[b]Francois[/b] prepares himself for the worst he see's no reason why anyone should be anywhere near the hunting lodge. Checking his rifle for the 100th time he steadies his breathing and takes aim at the lead figure. If the figures do anything suspicious Francois hopes to drop the figure he is aiming at with his first shot. As [b]Francois[/b] positioned himself out here because he feared the cloven hooved creatures might try something his first thought is that his suspicions were well founded, looking at the figures gait is there anything which might indicate their legs are doglike rather than human if that were the case he's going to take a shot. Sense Trouble?+1 [dice]0[/dice] - to spot anything unusual about the figures Firearms [dice]1[/dice]- does taking time to aim make any difference?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can speak only for myself," says Jacques, nodding, "but I would not be much of a gentleman if I allowed you to pay the price instead of me. Just having been to Verchanne means Death has already marked me. Most of my life is behind me, and most of yours is still ahead."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Then, we need to return to Paris and...", she can't finish her sentence as you hear a gunshot coming from outside, and then more coming from outside and from the lower floor.
Francois,You are positive these are humans, with normal legs and feet. As you watch, they creep closer to the house, then they take out guns from under their robes. As you see that, you open fire on the closest figure, sending a clean bullet through his head, and splattering blood on a second men standing near your target. In a matter of moments, hell breaks loose as the hooded men and the gendarmes inside the house open fire. [ooc]Roll Stability please.[/ooc]
OOC:   Each of you can take action now. Most of the group is with Madeleine on a bedroom in the second floor, while Francois is outside.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Stay away from the windows, Madame!" calls Jacques, drawing his pistol and ignoring his own advice. He moves to the nearest window from the side and carefully peeks out, ready to open the window and return fire if necessary.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Francois wonders whether his prey has identified his firing point if they have he'll slip out of his hide and moves to another position, otherwise he'll draw a bead on another one of the beasts and shoot it.
Francois,I have no idea whether I can spend on this or not if I can I'd like to spend +1, but I'm not sure if that is possible (in which case reduce result by 1) Stability Test [dice]0[/dice]
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by krzyspmac »

Jean-Luc moves to the wall while trying to struggling prepare his old pistol.
OOC:   Rolled 1d6 = 5  
Just a cultist.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Madeleine follows your advice and crouches next to the bed, while you run to the window. There are several men outside, dressed in black robes, not unlike those of medieval monks. Their faces are covered by hoods, and they carry firearms. They are scattering around and firing towards the house, where the gendarmes are firing back.
François,Two of the men have turned towards you, and seem to be looking for you. If you shoot now, you will surely reveal your position.
Jean-Luc,No need to roll to prepare your weapon, but you'll need to roll to hit if you decide to shoot. Remember that you can spend Firearms points to improve your roll if you want.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Keeper,[b]Francois[/b] carefully lowers himself from his perch and moves off to find another firing point to take his shot, it is best he decides to treat this like 'une chasse au sanglier', a boar hunt. Best not to shoot unless you can kill your target with the first shot and ideally without being seen, otherwise you risk being charged by the rest of the sounder. [ooc]Francois will spend this turn looking for a place out of the line of sight to the two looking his direction before taking his shot. Stealth to avoid being seen +1 spend [dice]0[/dice][/ooc]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques is relieved that it is not ghouls attacking. Men with guns he can understand and handle. Leaning around the edge of the window frame to maximize his cover, he takes a shot at one of the armed robed men.
OOC,Firearms roll (2 points spent) shooting at a robed man: [dice]0[/dice] Damage to robed man, if the shot hits: [dice]1[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Jacques takes aim and fires, hitting one of the hooded men in the chest and sending him to the ground. One more is hit from the bullets fired by the gendarmes on the lower floor. The assailants are now in the open, and under heavy fire, but they do not seem willing to retreat, and start firing back. A couple of bullets fly near Jacques, and one manages to scratch his shoulder.
Jacques,You lose 2 Health. Also, roll Stability, then choose your actions for the next round.
François,You manage to sneak out of your hiding place and move through the trees without being seen, before fiding a new position. Choose your actions for your next round.
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by krzyspmac »

Jean-Luc leans over to see a bit more and tries to fire from his old, unused pistol hoping that it won't kill him in the process.
OOC:   1d6 = 5; not using Firearms atm  
Just a cultist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques is shaken by the wound. While it is not that serious, it has been a long time since he has been wounded in combat, and he had not been expecting it. He tries to take another shot at one of the attackers.
OOC,Stability roll (no points spent): [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Paris: City of Tears”