[IC - SCENE 6a] Orders from Above (Jacques)

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC - SCENE 6a] Orders from Above (Jacques)

Post by Overlord87 »

After leaving his friends, Jacques keeps driving until he reaches the temporary HQ of the sixth army, on the outskirts of the city. General Gallieni's responsibilities force him to move around often, but on average, he rarely spends more than a few hours away from the HQ, so it's a safe bet to search for him there. Luckily, Jacques manages to find him right away, and after only half an hour of waiting, he's welcomed by Gallieni himself inside a small room functioning as his study.

Already an old man when the war started, and frail of health, Gallieni is barely managing to handle the burden fallen on his shoulders after the government fled the city. Still, like any military man of his generation, he's rather going to break, rather than bend. Despite his evident tiredness, he shakes Jacques's hand with energy as he says: "Welcome, Colonel. Can I offer you something to drink? You look like you might need it".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC - SCENE 6a] Orders from Above (Jacques)

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, General," says Jacques, snapping off a crisp salute as he pumps his hand and gives him a wry smile. "Yes, you are right. I could use a drink about now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Gallieni pours some scotch in two glasses, and hands one to Jacques. After both men are comfortably sitting, he says: "As you can imagine, time is something I don't have in abundance these days. So, forgive me if I go directly to the poing. I know you have found yourself involved in Dupont's murder and, because of that, in matters of... national security. I have spoken with Monsieur Faure, and he told me you know of our secret weapon. We must get it back, Colonel. What have you discovered so far?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques gives a concise summary of their investigations so far, finishing with the creature they saw in Verchanne. "Perhaps you will think me mad," he says, "but being mad would be preferable to that monster being real. However, all four of us saw it, and two of us still bear its wounds. I shot it three times, two of those shots good ones, and it did not die. That must have been what Madame Morvan said we had to see in Verchanne before we would understand. Now that we have, she will open up to us about what she knows."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Gallieni looks skeptical as he says: "Perhaps this man you met... with his grey skin... he might have come in contact with a chemical weapon... our weapon". He stays silent for a second, then says: "I'm going to be honest with you, Colonel. We don't know much about the weapon, except that it's incredibly effective. Dupont came to us and offered his assistance. He promised his weapon would break the German lines. And it did. After Verchanne, he said that the weapon should never be used again. That it is too dangerous. He seemed haunted by what he had seen in Verchanne. I can understand that. Nobody likes these cowardly weapons. But think, Colonel. All the lives we can save with it. Our countrymen... we can save them from this massacre", he is speaking enthusiastically now, "We need to take it back, Colonel. I have spoken with Monsieur Faure. He has said he can make the weapon work for us. We still have a chance to end this war in a matter of weeks".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Monsieur Dupont may have had a point, General," says Jacques. "Did you know that of the hundred men that took Verchanne, 99 have since died? I spoke with the hundredth, Sergeant Proulx, who expects his own death imminently. He may be dead already for all I know. The victory seems a Pyrrhic one to me. Still, it is merely my duty to recover the weapon, and the decision on whether or not to use it again is to be made by those above me. Regardless of that decision, above all the weapon must not be allowed to fall into German hands. Rest assured that I shall do my best to recover it, sir, regardless of my personal feelings."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Gallieni nods gravely as he stands: "Very well, Colonel. Let me wish you good luck. You might very well carry the fate of this war on your shoulders".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, sir," says Jacques, saluting again. "I shall do everything in my power."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Paris: City of Tears”