[IC - SCENE 5] Verchanne

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC - SCENE 5] Verchanne

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques rests a hand on Andre's shoulder, recognizing the symptoms of shell shock. "I know, my friend," he says. "It is horrific indeed, but we must be staunch so that we can prevent this from ever happening again. Right now the plans for the weapon are in the wrong hands - though I feel in my heart that all hands are wrong. We must complete our task here so that we may recover them. I think we need to take photographs. There must be proof of what happened here, so that people remember. Then we should explore the buiildings. I'd start with the church."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   As you didn't mention bringing a camera with you, I'd request a 2 points Preparedness spend if you want to have one and take some photos.  
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

holding a handkerchief to his face Francois walks over to the church and looks inside
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I don't have the Photography skill, but two in our group do. I'll spend two points of Preparedness to have picked up a camera at the camp before we left.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by krzyspmac »

OOC:   Jean-Lub has the Photography skill. Although used solely to take pictures of stars I'm sure we could make it work :)  
Just a cultist.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

OOC:   Andre also has a couple of points in photography. Due to his distressed state however, this may be something he could focus on to try and pull himself round.  
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Now that you're out of the car and moving among the bodies, you notice the blood. It's hard to find trace on the dirt and the ground, after weeks have passed, rain has fallen. But on the bodies, on the uniforms, sometimes on the walls, you find it. What killed these men after all? Was it really a chemical weapon?

Andre e Jean-Luc move around the carnage, taking pictures. Andre finds his hands shaking, but at least doing something seems to help the mind. The illusion of control, of being useful. Funny the things we seek as anchor when things take a turn for the worse. A photo, a few steps, one more photo. These won't win any prize, perhaps, but there's a lesson in them. A testimony, one that regretfully will go unheeded. Under a weak and sad sun, the two men keep working.
Andre and Jean-Luc,Roll Sense Trouble.
Jacques and Francois enter the church. Part of the wall has collapsed on the outside, and anything precious has long been taken to safety, or stolen, but a wooden crucifix remains lonely on a wall. Apart from that, the inside is completely empty... except for a body, in the middle. It lies on its back, its unmoving gaze staring at the ceiling. Maybe because it's inside, it's slightly better conserved than the others. And the blood... near his head, a stain of dried blood. The head, half destroyed. This man was shot... or did he shot himself? Anyway, a direct hit to the head, there can be no mistake about that.
Forensics,It's hard to be 100% sure, but judging from the wound and the position of the body, it most likely seems a suicide. There's no trace of the gun used, though. Most likely the French soldiers that entered the city took all the weapons from the bodies.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

As Andre goes from one photograph to the next, he finds that the process gives him a sense of inner calm that he didn't think he'd experience again just a few minutes ago, despite the grisly content of the pictures he takes almost in an almost robotic state.

Taking a deep breath after one particularly gruesome shot, Andre stiffens as he gets a feeling like ice-water down his spine. A feeling so intense that he can even feel it in his lame foot
Sense Trouble - wrong,[dice]0[/dice] oops wrong system - sorry
Sense Trouble,[dice]1[/dice]
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

"This is not happening. This could not have happened, could it?" - Jean-Luc thinks to himself as he tries to follow Andre.
OOC:   rolled 1d6 = 2  
Just a cultist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I believe this man took his own life," says Jacques, studying the corpse. "He may have wanted to avoid a worse death. There is no sign of the gun, but it could have been removed after Verchanne was taken. Still, it is strange that they left the bodies here to rot."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

OOC:   Considering people who shoot themselves typically hold the weapon close to if not touching their body is there any obvious sign of powder residue blackened skin by the entrance wound or on the bodies clothes. This would be enough in Francois mind to confirm the man did indeed commit suicide (or was extremely lax in his weapon handling)  
Francois looks the body over and then moves around the church as careful as possible not to disturb things he then goes back to the doorway.

"Considering the passage of time I suspect there is little chance of finding any meaningful spore outside but perhaps inside where we are under cover or in the lee of the church there may still be clues as to the events of the day" Francois says absently to Andre

[dice]0[/dice] - Outdoorsman
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Francois,From what you can tell, this looks like a suicide, but you lack the proper skills in medicine and crime scene analysis, so it's hard to make a conclusive statement on the matter. Jacques is probably the most expert among you, so if he says it's suicide, then that's probably what happened here. As you investigate the interior of the building, you find nothing that alarms you, nor any trace of significance. [ooc]No need to roll any dice for Outdoorsman, as it is an investigative ability. I think you're probably used to CoC's d100, but in Trail of Cthulhu, if you possess an investigative ability, you always succeed in collecting any information it can provide. Only general abilities require dice rolling.[/ooc]
Andre,You hear a faint sound... someone moving? A man, or an animal? You turn around quickly, but you don't see anything. If there was someone or something moving, it disappeared quickly behind a corner.
Andre and Jean Luc,As you take more photos, you realize that most if not all of the bodies have bullet wounds on them.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Francois straightens up from where he was kneeling by the doorway to the church. "nothing I can see but our footprints" there is a slight tone of relief in his voice he is happier now he can find no sign of cloven hooves
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"D'accord," says Jacques. "Let's check the town hall next."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

"This place has me jumping at shadows." Andre says to Jean-Luc
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

"I can understand" says Jean-Luc with a mixture of horror and interest. "All those bodies have bullet wounds. I thought this was a gas attack."
Just a cultist.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

While Jean-Luc and Andre are still busy taking photos, Jacques and Francois cross the square to get into the town hall. The building has been fortified, and was probably the local headquarters for the German forces in the area. The front door leads to a large room, with maps on the walls, a table in the center, and three more working desks placed in a corner. A door on your left, closed, probably leads to another room, while on your right there are stairs to an upper floor.
The smell of blood is intense inside. You immediately see two bodies, facing each other at the table. They apparently died while sitting which, all things considered, seems quite strange. Even more strangely, and unfortunately familiar, you see one of the bodies is missing its head. Two more bodies are on the floor. There's blood on all of them, from what you can tell. There are pieces of paper on the table, the desks, the floor. They are scattered around, in complete disorder. Probably the French soldiers searched through them after taking the city, but it is also possible that the Germans were getting ready to leave in a hurry.

Outside, Jean-Luc and Andre take a break from the work. These people, they all seem to be dead by... traditional means. Bullet wounds.
While standing there, in the middle of the carnage, the two men notice... the silence. Absolute silence. Not even crows can be heard, nor insects, and both should be feisting around.
Andre,You are feeling watched. You should probably be alone, and yet.. Is it really only paranoia?
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Andre wheels around looking at every available position.

"Jean-Luc, I have the strangest feeling that we are not alone out here ... that we are being observed. Can you not feel it too mon ami?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's try the door next," says Jacques. He heads over to the door on the left and tries the knob.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

"My dear colleague" says Jean-Luc to Andre. "I've never felt so alone in my life." he adds as he soaks in the silence.
Just a cultist.

Return to “Paris: City of Tears”