[IC - SCENE 4] The Survivor

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC - SCENE 4] The Survivor

Post by Overlord87 »

It's not a long ride to Aulnay-sous-Bois, a small town that had the bad luck to be inside the belt of territory first conquered by the enemy and then reconquered by the French Army. There was fighting here, it's clear by watching the buildings. One out of three has received some damage, and the car you're on has to dodge large holes on the ground from artillery fire. You see a few people walking the streets, and you wonder what kind of bond to your hometown can bring you to face the danger of war instead of trying to flee to safer grounds.

The Army camp is just outside the town (or at least, what remains of the town). The 4th Army Corps has placed a reserve force here, around 5000 men ready to be mobilized to answer an enemy attack. They have built a large camp to house these men, and it has grown to almost being a second town near the original one. Tens of wooden building, row after row after row; dormitories, storehouses, shooting ranges and so on. It takes some time to find what you're looking for, and the sun is almost setting by the time you reach the area where Proulx's unit should be stationed.

You see some soldiers moving around, apparently busy with the lasts tasks of their daily routine, waiting for dinner to be served. A couple of them are instead relaxing near the door to a storehouse, smoking a cigarette. They stand up when you approach and they see Jacques, saluting.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC - SCENE 4] The Survivor

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques returns the salute in a snappy, well-practiced fashion. "As you were, men," he says. "I'm looking for Sergeant Albert Proulx. Would you know where I could find him?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The two exchange a quick look, then one of the two says with some hesitation: "Sergeant Proulx... is not feeling well, Colonel. Perhaps you could speak with Sergeant Gagnon instead."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm afraid it must be Sergeant Proulx," says Jacques.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

They pause for another second, one of them scratching his head, then they point a small shed: "You will find Sergeant Proulx there, Colonel". They salute as you head towards the shed, then quickly walk in the opposite direction. Their strange behavior immediately makes sense when you enter the shed.

It is dark inside the shed, the dying light of the day coming in from the door allows you to barely see. There is smell of alcohol inside, and you clearly understand why. A man is sitting on the floor, back against one of the walls, a half-full bottle of wine in his hand. One more bottle is on the floor, empty. He notices you as you enter, and as soon as he opens his mouth, you realize he's completely drunk: "Who is there? Go away! I am waiting for someone!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I am Colonel Jacques Hebert, Sergeant Proulx," says Jacques. "I'll try to excuse your current condition. You must have been through quite an ordeal."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The man snorts: "Oh well, if you excuse me, I guess everything's gonna be fine, huh?" He laughs, an empty sound that unsettles you: "Leave me alone. I don't know what you want, but I'm done with this war. Almost... almost done... once he arrives...", he drinks some more wine.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Once who arrives?" asks Jacques. "When do you expect him? Listen, if you want to be left alone, I will leave you alone - as soon as you tell me what happened at Verchanne. I don't want to get you in trouble with your superiors. I just need to know what happened. What you do after you tell me is entirely your affair."
OOC,Using Reassurance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

Francois steps outside the small shed it is dark, stuffy and to a man used to being beneath the open sky it is painfully claustrophobic.

ooc,[b]Using Sense Trouble[/b]
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Who? Ah!", he laughs again and drinks some more wine, "The Angel of Death, that's who. I trespassed on Death's lands, and now her Angel is coming for me. As for all the others..."

Sense Trouble,As for all General abilities, you need to roll for Sense Trouble. You can spend points to increase the results of the roll. before the roll obviously.
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by krzyspmac »

Jean-Luc stands outside and looks around trying to guess the age of the boys that will soon go into battle.
Just a cultist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He has already been for the others - all 99 of them," says Jacques. "You're the only one left, and I can't let him have you until you've told me what you know about Verchanne, so he's just going to have to wait. That's where you trespassed on Death's lands, n'est-ce pas? Some new weapon was deployed at Verchanne to win the victory there, wasn't it?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Proulx's is staring into space as he says: "They told us to capture the village, and we prepared for the battle. Xavier said they were sending us on a suicide mission... always the pessimist that one", he smiles for a second, before continuing: "Too bad for him, Captain Daniau heard him saying that. Captain got him running around the camp for one hour, shouting 'Victoire!'. He was a good man, Captain Daniau. He deserved better". Proulx drinks some more wine before continuing: "Turns out there was no fighting to be done. When we got there, they were all dead. At least half a thousand Germans, officials included. A land of the dead, Death's sanctuary. And we trespassed".
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

Sense Trouble,[dice]0[/dice]
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Sense Trouble,Everything seems calm to Francois.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This victory is indeed pyrrhic," says Jacques, shaking his head. "Whatever did that must not be used again. Do you think Verchanne is cursed forever now?"
OOC,Sense Trouble roll (no points spent): [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Proulx's nods, tears forming on his eyes: "It is, and we are. The Angel of Death came for all the other, and now it's my turn. I already saw the Sign".
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre coughs into his hand;-

"Pardon Monsieur, you say you saw the sign ... what sign did you see exactly?"
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Proulx's face goes white, and he drinks some more wine before saying: "I've seen a spirit... a ghost. That's the Sign. When you meet the ghost of someone dear to you ... that's the Sign. The Angel of Death is coming for you, and you'll soon join the ghost in the afterlife".

Jacques,You don't feel any danger from your surroundings, but Proulx is drunk, unstable... and armed. He has a handgun at his belt.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I met someone else who saw that sign," says Jacques, "His name is Adolphe Bissette. He told me that a gendarme he knew, Chirstophe Duchamps, had died, but he saw him again days later getting into a military vehicle. Interestingly, there is a request on file for a military transport for Monsieur Duchamps to Army HQ on precisely the date he was seen, after he was dead. Do you remember either of these men having been at Verchanne?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Paris: City of Tears”