[IC - SCENE 4] The Survivor

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: [IC - SCENE 4] The Survivor

Post by Overlord87 »

Proulx frowns as he tries to remember: "Don't know anything about a Du... Duschamp... or Bissette... but if anyone sees the Sign, he is as good as dead. Maybe they trespassed on Death's domain, too, or maybe they were just unlucky. We are killing too many... the war... the gaze of Death is on us now. There's no escape...", you see a glimpse of mad clarity in his eyes now, even through the drunkenness.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We are all of us mortal," says Jacques. "We all die in the end, but we can make our peace with God before we do, and we can make our deaths count for something. I am an old grognard, and I know that Death has always been there, waiting to claim me one day. At my age, it cannot be all that much longer. Most of my life is behind me. But life still has meaning, Sergeant. At least you have a warning of what is to come and time to prepare for it. So many in this war do not. I think you should talk to the chaplain. He may be able to give you some comfort."
OOC,Using Reassurance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"There is no God", he replies bitterly, "But I guess I can at least go off with some dignity". He looks at the bottle in his hand and throws it away. "Thank you, Colonel".
Jacques,[ooc]You recover 1 point of Stability.[/ooc]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques solemnly shakes his hand. "You are welcome, Sergeant," he says. "Your sacrifice for La Belle France shall not be in vain."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Why are you here, Colonel?", Proulx asks, "If you're thinking of going to Verchanne, let me warn you. There's only Death there. And if you catch Death's eye... and see the Sign... you'll be doomed like the rest of us".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm afraid I must," says Jacques. "I have my duty. I've always known that protecting France could cost me my life. If it does, it shall at least have been worth it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Well then, good luck Colonel", he says as solemnly as possible considering the smell of alcohol surrounding him like a cloud.
OOC:   Is there something else you want to ask him? Otherwise, it's too late to go to Verchanne today, unless you're fine with exploring it by night.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Sergeant," says Jacques. "Au revoir." He has a feeling that he will be seeing him again even if the man does die. He rejoins the rest of his group and fills them in about what he has learned. "We should camp here for the night. I'll leave for Verchanne in the morning. I won't ask any of you to accompany me. Only one of us needs to see it, and Madame Morvan had addressed me in the matter. I have already lived a long, full life. If anyone must risk death, let it be me."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre sighs and says to Jacques;

"Sorry Jacques, whilst I do not consider myself a man of any brave stamp, I do consider myself to be honourable. My own code would not allow me to let you go there alone. If you go then so must I, though fear does grip me. That being said, they say that fear is needed to sharpen the wits do they not."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then I am glad to have you with me, Andre," says Jacques. "We shall face our fate together, whatever it may be."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

Francois shrugs "I only have my students shoddy homework to mark, why not"
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by krzyspmac »

"Leaving friends at a time like this would dishonorable at best so count me in gentlemen" says Jean-Luc.
Just a cultist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you all," says Jacques. "I hope you don't have cause to regret your decision. We leave for Verchanne in the morning."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The commander of the camp has four beds arranged for you in one of the dormitories. After a simple but satisfying dinner, you crash on the beds and immediately fall asleep, tired at the end of a long and unusual day.
OOC:   Continues here: viewtopic.php?f=377&t=5922  

Return to “Paris: City of Tears”