Page 1 of 1

[IC - SCENE 2] The Tea Room

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:03 am
by Overlord87
You spend an agitated night, dreaming of darkness and whispers and beheaded bodies. The imagery from the paintings at Dupont's party also comes up in your nightmares. Morning comes almost as a relief, but you feel more fatigued that when you went to sleep. You call forth your inner energies, knowing that today is an important day, and your task is perhaps crucial to your motherland.

The city is already bustling with activity when you head out, although it's mostly journalists and military and other figures that remembers you at every step how war is less than 100 km away from the city. Children and women are lined up for the distribution of scarce quantities of food and other necessities. You know a law is about to be enforced to allow the State to requisition wheat and grain at a fixed price, and there are talks of extending this measure to milk, sugar and eggs. The government, and the city, are preparing for a long war, and to make things worse, winter is almost upon the city.

You meet near the cafe at around 10 am. You can see the tea room from here. It's open, although it doesn't seem to have any client at the moment.

Re: [IC - SCENE 2] The Tea Room

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques has decided to come in uniform, though it is an everyday uniform rather than the dress uniform he had worn last night. His rank may attract some notice, but he is willing to take the risk, and he has forgone polishing his rank insignia so they are less obvious. Still, there is no mistaking that he is an officer, not least because of the way he carries himself. His saber he wears in a scabbard on his belt, and his sidearm rests in its holster. In wartime Paris, he doesn't think he stands out too much. Always punctual, he is the first to arrive at the cafe.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:09 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
A few minutes later, Andre arrives limping with his left leg, Looking up he espies Jacques and head to where he stands. As he crosses the road he puts his right hand over hos coat, to stop his revolver from jostling him as he walks. "Good morning Jacques, I hope you slept well - I know I struggled a bit myself." He smiles wanly at the gendarme as he extends his hand.

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jacques rises and shakes Andre's hand. "Good morning, Andre," he says. "I slept as well as could be expected. Last night's events were disturbing, but as any soldier does, I've long since learned to sleep when I can. I've even slept through artillery barrages. Plenty of soldiers these days learn how to do that quickly, what the boches constantly firing their guns. At least my quarters were a lot more comfortable than the trenches. I fell asleep quickly and awoke later than I usually do, though I had been up fairly late."

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:12 pm
by ghill
Dressed in his hunting garb, François looks more like a working man than a professor of languages, subconsciously he touches the pocket of his jacket checking yet again that he has his revolver. He grunts at the others and orders a coffee and brioche, tired he does not trust himself to speak until he has consumed both.

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:11 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc comes late, as usual. Dressed in something even less spectacular than the last time he hurries and looks for his comrades.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"So, how shall we play this?" asks Jacques, pausing to take a sip of his own coffee. He takes it black, not wanting to adulterate it. "I don't think we have time for a proper stakeout, especially since we don't even know what we're looking for. One or two of us, preferably two, should go inside the tea rooms and make discreet inquiries about Monsieur DuPont and his connection to the place. Those who remain outside can then watch the front and the back."

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:42 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"I agree..." says Andre; "...I shall go inside if there is no objections - that would leave those more suited to give chase, if needs be, in position to do so."

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"In spite of my age, I'm still in excellent shape," says Jacques. "I'll cover the rear entrance. If anyone tries to flee, that's the most likely route they'd take."

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:10 pm
by ghill
Very well, I'm happy to sit out here and finish drinking my coffee says, François

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:04 pm
by krzyspmac
"I can enter a moment after André as a backup, should anything happen".

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:21 pm
by Overlord87
Andrè and Jean Luc enter the tea room as the others wait outside, keeping an eye on the exits. The interior of the tea room is clean and tidy, with simple wooden tables and chairs. It's humble without being spartan, and there's a calm and tranquil atmosphere, along with a faint smell of cinnamon. Your attention is immediately called upon two paintings, sharing the same style as those displayed at Dupont's house. The theme is less dark than those, though, but the hand is unmistakably the same. One of the two paintings features a sort of enchanted forest, with white pillars of stone breaking the vast expanse of trees. The second painting shows a city full of high towers, disappearing into the clouds thousands of meters above the ground. The scenes are clearly fantastical, but they strike you as incredibly real.

As you're watching the paintings, a man approaches you. Tall, sturdy, with red hair and green eyes and a long beard, around 40 years of age. He speaks French with a strange accent you're unable to recognize immediately. "Good morning, gentlemen. Welcome to the Sunflower Tea Room. We don't usually serve breakfast, but I'm sure we can find some biscuits, or maybe a slice of cake, to serve along the best tea in the city". You don't doubt the last part: tea is quite rare in the city at the moment, just the idea of drinking some is extremely tempting to you.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:48 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Merci Monsieur, I am certain that whatever you can provide would be the perfect accompaniment to what smells like proper tea, surely a rarity in these terrible times. If I may inquire Monsieur, these paintings have an very haunting quality about them. Could you please inform me of the name of the artist?"

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:15 pm
by Overlord87
"Oui, Monsieur. The name is Edouard Savatier. A young artist, penniless, but talented, or so they say. I'm not really one to judge art, to be honest. An usual customer of ours, though I haven't seen him for a few days now. Are you interested in his paintings, Monsieur? I'm sure you can find him quite easily asking around in the Latin Quarter. That's where those artists gather in flocks". He finishes preparing a table, then gestures for you to sit. He then handles you a menu, or more precisely, a list of the available types of tea. The names on the list are familiar to you... Assam, Darjeeling... then you meet an unfamiliar name, that piques your interest. A tea called Sapna.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:44 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Ah yes the Latin Quarter, I am familiar in passing with it. Edouard Savatier ... I'm not sure I've heard of him Monsieur. Now to the tea, I would have normally gone for Assam, but this, how do you say - Sapna how would that compare?"

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:14 pm
by Overlord87
"Well, the Sapna... that's our specialty, Monsieur", he smiles enigmatically.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:46 pm
by krzyspmac

Not knowing anything about tea, or spies for that matter, and completely oblivious to both, Jean-Luc just exchanges glances with André.

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:38 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"If it is your specialty, then it would churlish of me to refuse the chance of trying it Monsieur. What would you like Jean-Luc?" Andre asks as he looks towards his new friend, catching the back end of the glance ... "Perhaps a Darjeeling may be more suited to your tastes?"

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:04 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc keeps thinking that people are supposed to drink water or wine but agrees with a nod to his friend's proposition. "Yes, something classic would be just fine."

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:10 pm
by Overlord87
The man nods briefly. "Very well, Monsieur. Just a minute". He heads back towards the kitchen, leaving you alone in the room. There's quietness, an absolute silence that is extremely rare to find in a busy city - even in wartime - like Paris. The man comes back after a short while, bringing two cups and the tea, already prepared for infusion. "We recommend six to eight minutes of infusion for the Sapna, Monsieur. Some time less for the Darjeeling - 3 or 4 minutes shall be sufficient", he steps back and leaves you alone.

You follow the instructions and prepare the tea, waiting as the water darkens and absorbs the flavor of the leaves. Finally Andre brings the cup to the mouth, curious to taste this unknown tea. The Sapna has a strong scent, that vaguely remembers gooseberry, with a trace of something else... you can't quite remember... but surely familiar. A sweet scent. When did you savor it? It surely wasn't long ago... but you can't remember. You shrug and take a long sip. The warm liquid flows through your mouth and down your throat. It is good, definitely one of the best tea you have ever tasted in your life. It has a strong flavor, a wild one. You feel energized.
Andrè,You open your mouth to express your satisfaction, and then you realize you are in the darkness. Alone. Not a complete darkness... you still can see a few meters in every direction, but beyond that... a pitch-black wall. There's earth under your feet. Solid earth, black earth. Is it black because of the absence of light, or is it just black? You don't know. Above, only darkness. There is no sun, obviously, no moon and no stars. No light whatsoever. How come that you can see your immediate surroundings, then? Once again, you don't know. It's not important to find the answer, though, as you have more pressing problems. The worms. The ground is shaking under your feet, and that can only mean one thing: the worms are moving, hundreds of meters underground - kilometers, perhaps. You know that moving will attract their attention - you can feel them moving, they should be able to feel you moving. It's only natural. But you can't stay here, as well. You have to move. And so you take your first step. The direction doesn't matter - there's only darkness, after all. But it's vital that you keep moving. And that you do. One step, then another, then another. You can't run, or the worms will catch up to you. One slow step after the other, until you're safe. Then you hear the whispers. All around you, from just beyond the darkness. Are there people talking? It's impossible, and yet... You could try calling out, but the worms could hear you. So you remain silent, and listen to the voices. Some of them are just laughing, some of them are so low you can't quite understand what they're saying. But some are clear, and they're all saying the same thing: [color=#4000BF]"Hakuu gatha thsathun"[/color]. The words have no meaning to you, yet you understand what those words are for: calling the worms. If you say them out loud, the worms will surely come. They'll dismember you and feast with your flesh and your bones. You shiver. You must keep moving. One step, one step, one step. You don't know for how long you have been walking, when you realize your lips are moving: [color=#0000FF]"Hakuu gat-"[/color]. You stop just in time, before finishing the sentence. Why were you saying the words? You know saying the words would mean sure death. And yet, you want to say the words. The urge is stronger than anything you have ever felt in your life. You're breathing hard now, sweating, fists clenched. You don't know how long you can resist. Not much. Surely not much. And when you're just about to give in, you open your eyes back in the tea room. You're trembling, and sweating, curved on the table, gasping for air.
Jean-Luc has slowly drunk his tea, still wondering what so many people find in this insipid beverage. Suddenly, he realizes that Andre is staring into space, eyes wide open, his face gone white and glittering with sweat. Before he can do anything, Andre exhales violently and almost fall forward on the table, trembling. The waiter rushes towards you, but he doesn't seem worried. In fact, he is clapping his hands. "Fantastic, Monsieur. That is very auspicious, very auspicious indeed. Congratulations!"
Spoiler:
OOC:   Andre must roll against a stability loss.  

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:11 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
[Spoiler-Button][dice]0[/dice]
Stability - edit - Oh dear![/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:44 pm
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   Andre loses three more Stability points :twisted:  

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:59 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc tosses the tea aside and grabs Andre's hand - "Are you all right my friend?" and looking at the waiter he says "Mon dieu, what is in that tea monsieur?"

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:17 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre feels something on his hand and jerks it back - a look of sheer terror on his face as he stares wide eyed at ... at ... at what he considered a friend. He begins to wipe his hands on the tablecloth, his jacket, anything he can get his hands on as he backs away from the table on shaky legs. "Gnnn ... Gnnnnnn!" he intones without making any sense.
OOC:   (Spoiler for Overlord)  
Spoiler:
As Andre lifts his head up to see his friend he is confronted by the one sight he did not want to see most of all at this time - his face crawling with those infernal worms. The foul creature grabs his hand leaving a sticky,slimy goo on his flesh - and although it is not harming him, yet, the feeling of the loathsome ichor on his skin is repugnant. Does he remain silent or draw attention to himself by crying out? The one thing he knows is that he has to get away from here - NOW!!!
Andre eyes the door over Jean-Luc's shoulder and attempts to make a run for it, though his lame left leg hinders his movement in the restricted space of the cafe.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:41 pm
by Overlord87
The waiter remains dumbstruck for a second, then tries to run after Andre. "Monsieur! Monsieur! Calm down, it's nothing!"
Spoiler:
It's an Athletics or Fleeing roll to escspe the tea room. Andre gets a -1 to this roll, due to his leg. You can obviously spend points from Fleeing or Athletics to boost the roll, though.

The waiter will give chase. It will be a contested roll between the waiter and Andre.

Jean-Luc can choose to act as he sees more fit. Should he decide to run after someone, it's an Athletics roll.

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:29 pm
by krzyspmac

While shocked Jean-Luc decides to go after André.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:56 am
by ghill
OOC:   Can we assume those outside probably notice some kind of kerfuffle at the doorway to the tea shop?  

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:02 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   The one keeping an eye on the front door will notice the commotion.

The one in the back clearly does not notice anything.  

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:48 pm
by Cearlan
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
Contested roll
As Andre stands up and lurches forward his right leg catches the table and sends it flying and he tumbles to the ground. All but crawling to the door he tries to regain his footing unsuccessfully. The noise from the two creatures in this box with him is deafening, he covers his ears with his hands which causes another fall into the table nearest the door.

"Arrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!" He decides that screaming is the only course of action, both in frustration and terror as he falls against the outer door.

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:56 am
by Overlord87
Both the waiter and Jean-Luc manage to catch up to Andre before he can leave the tea-room. They grab him and try to immobilize him, all the while trying to calm him down. "Monsieur! Are you all right? Please calm down!"

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:32 am
by Cearlan
Spoiler for Overlord
Spoiler:
Two of the work encrusted beings now head towards me trying to engulf me in their clutches
Andre lets rip with a full-throated scream as the two horrors embrace him preventing his movement ... his escape. Their plans for him remained obscure - were they going to lay their larvae or eggs within his flesh as some insects were prone to do, or simply devour him outright. Whatever their foul desires, he knew that he wanted no part in it! Taking a deep breath, albeit one tainted by corruption eminating from the beasts before him, he managed to yell out "Let me go, you fiends!!! Get your filthy appendages off me and keep back!"

Andre though that he had slipped into delerium, for surely such things could not exist in all reality

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:06 pm
by krzyspmac

"Filthy?" Jean-Luc thinks to himself. "André! André! Snap out of it!" he tries to shout. "We need something to calm him down" he says to the waiter struggling with André.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 am
by Overlord87
The waiter looks at Jean-Luc with panic in his eyes. "I don't know what to do! I have never seen anything like this before!"
Cearlan,This temporary madness will fade and leave you weakened, but back in control, in a couple of minutes.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:29 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre starts to regain his composure, though he cannot stop his hands from shaking and his eyes darting from side to side. Sweat stands freely on his brow and his breath comes in ragged gulps. Lowering his head slightly he takes a deep breath and looks at the waiter before exclaiming in a strained voice, "Monsieur, I know not what was in the concoction that you served but I would thank you not to ply me with more."

Looking sideways towards his friend Andre adds "And as for you my friend Jean-Luc, I think it is about time we left ..." suddenly remembering the reason for their visit he blushes slightly as he continues "... rest assured that our good friend Monsieur DuPont will be appraised of the events here."

Andre grips Jean-Luc's arm and nods towards the door.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:13 pm
by Overlord87
"Monsieur, please, I'm terribly sorry. The Sapna can sometimes have strange effects on some people, the clever and creative ones. It's considered a good omen. It's a good thing... it's a good thing. People come here for the Sapna. Nothing like this ever happened. I'm so sorry. We will never serve it again. My deepest apologies", the waiter bows deeply.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:44 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc, holding Andre's arm, tries to get out as fast as possible, taking no notice of the waiter's apologies.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:00 pm
by Overlord87
Jean-Luc and Andre exit from the front door, the waiter still apologizing. Francois sees them and immediately notices that Andre looks unsteady on his feet.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:05 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre and Jean-Luc exit the cafe with the waiter fussing about them until they are off the premises. Andre staggers to the edge of the pavement and hunkers down with one hand on the pavement as he voids his stomach ... most violently ... into the gutter. He starts to tremble with the shock of the entire situation. He can still see worms crawling around the periphery of his vision as his eyes dart from side to side.

"Jean-Luc, my friend, I humbly apologise. That tea ... although pleasant enough had a terrible effect upon me. Tell me what you saw."

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:01 pm
by krzyspmac

"My friend, I've never seen anything like it I can tell you that. Normally I would assume that you've been poisoned but that resembled something of a fever of the most violent kind!"

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:33 pm
by ghill
Unsure what is happening, or whether his new friends are threatened François stays where he is and continues to observe drinking his coffee while resting one hand upon the butt of his pistol.

[ic-think]"If they are threatened they know where we are best not to reveal myself to anyone else."[/ic-think] he thinks

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 pm
by Overlord87
When Andre is ready to walk, helped by Jean-Luc, they move away from the tea room, reuniting with Francois and Jacques. Andre is still pale and unsteady on his feet, but he's otherwise regaining his composure.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Time to move on ;)  

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good heavens!" exclaims Jacques when he sees Andre's state, rising in a hurry. "What happened in there?"

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:32 pm
by ghill
Still unsure of events François hangs back following the others but separately from them in order not to seem part of the group to any casual observer.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:59 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre looks grimly towards his friend with a pleading look on his face;

"Not here my friend, let us retire somewhere more private whilst I relate this, for it is not something I would wish to revisit more than the once if it can be avoided."

Releasing his hold on Jean-Luc's arm slowly, he nods away from the cafe and goes to move in that direction, albeit unsteadily.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course," says Jacques, walking with Andre and supporting him if he needs it.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:52 am
by Overlord87
You walk for a few minutes, putting some distance between you and the tea room. Then you enter a cafe and sit at a table in a quiet corner, keeping an eye on the front door for good measure. It seems you are the only customers sitting inside, with just a couple more on the tables outside.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:34 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
OOC:   Sorry if this is a long post ;-)  
Once there Andre relates the terrifying ordeal he went through as follows;-

"Jean-Luc and I went in to see what could be discenrned from the Sunflower Tea Room. I dimly recall there were similar paintings on the wall to the disturbing one at our late friends house. I inquired as to the painter's identity and found his name to be Edouard Savatier and further, that he may be found in the Latin Quarter. We sought to gently interrogate the proprietor of the tea room and to this end ordered some tea. I had a strange brew called Sapna. It was after the first mouthful, which was quite pleasant, that things went wrong for me. I was somehow encased in near-darkness all around me, not even the light of a moon or starlight, which in these days of blackouts is strange."

Andre pauses as though to gather himself, and despite the lessening of the terror he felt at the time, he could feel tears well up in his eyes ... tears of fear and of the shame associated with that fear. Taking a deep breath he continued:-

"I was being, pursued I suppose you would call it, by all the worms in the world, or at least that is how it felt to me. I could feel the very earth, which was as black as Satan's hobs, move beneath my feet, at a distance but constantly getting closer. They were getting closer to me all the time and I was afraid, no I was terrified that any sound I made would hasten their approach. Then I could hear some sort of strange voices, chanting some mumbo-jumbo - something like "Hakuu gath thathsun", or was it "Hakuu gatha thsathun" - yes that was it "Hakuu gatha thsathun". I just hope that my uttering the words now has no effect.

By now Andre was starting to sweat again and his hands took on a slight palsy but he continued after taking a copious drink of his coffee, (thick, hot and sweet, almost like Turkish coffee), some of which he spilt mindlessly due to his shakes. Wincing at the aftertaste and heat of the coffee Andre steels himself once more before ploughing on with his tale.

"Although I did not understand the heathen tongue, for it was unlike anything I had heard before, I knew the purpose of the phrase - to call forth those abominable worms. I had to fight the impulse to repeat the phrase myself, and by God was the coercion to follow and co-join the chant strong. I even got halfway through before I could arrest my tongue. I just knew in the very fibres of my being that to complete the chant, maybe even the once would invite the terrible worms to come and feast upon my flesh. For the fact that this was to be my fate was beyond any doubt in my mind ... in my very soul! The next I knew, my eyes slowly swam into focus and I discerned that I was in a stupour with my head upon the table in the accursed Tea-Room. Poor Jean-luc tried to comfort me and restore what little of my senses I have ..." at this point Andre grasps Jean-Luc's arm in comradeship and appreciation, "... but all I could see of you was worms covering your face and hands - worms that left their slimy ichor upon my skin. I am afraid that I did not even recognise you my friend - I take the liberty of calling you friend, for although we have only recently met, all of us, you proved to be steadfast in your resolve andsttod by me when the chips were down, and that is something I will never forget. I tried to make a run for the door, but for once the old leg saved me from making it through before my progress was halted by both the Tea-Room proprietor and Jean-Luc. Please forgive a stupid, weak fool who may have jeopardised our mission before it has even started". At this the tears that had been, to this point, glistening in Andre's eyes flowed freely down his face and he struggled to stifle his terrified sobs hanging his head in abashment.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I consider you a friend as well," says Jacques. "Do not blame yourself. They must have put something in your tea. Perhaps they had some reason to be suspicious, some little thing that gave you away without you even knowing it."

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:11 am
by ghill
François leans forward addressing Andre and Jean-Luc. "How did the proprietor seem to you, was he cautious, business-like, nervous, excited. How did he react when he brought the tea? How did he react when Andre started his episode?"
OOC:   The tea was on the menu and clearly, the waiter expected it to have some effect he simply seemed surprised by the effect? What we really should have done was to have someone enter separately to observe the tea room afterwards.  

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,It might not be too late. They've only seen those two, so we could go inside.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:39 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Ah my friend Francois, I cannot recall, perhaps Jean-Luc may be able shed some light on your question." Andre responds trying to gather himself once more, not too successfully.

Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:58 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Not really we needed to see the immediate reaction. It doesn't matter,we're none of us supposed to be au fait with this 'secret world' so it would be a bit unusual if we behaved like a bunch of hard core CoC adventures :)  

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:33 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Sh ... shall we go back in then?" Andre asks hesitantly

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:11 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We may want to find out more first," says Jacques. "Do you think there is any relevance to the artist, Edouard Savatier? I have never heard of him, but I am no art expert."

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre breathes a sigh of relief, perhaps not as subtly as he would wish it to be. "As you say, mayhap some further inquiries may be made first. Like you the name is meaningless to me, but I am left wondering if perhaps my friend Julien knows of him - after all he was the personal secretary of Monsieur Dupont."

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Then we should ask him," says Jacques. "When we do, we can also see if he has Monsieur Dupont's appointment book. We should have gotten it last night, but I did not think of it then. It may be helpful to see with whom he met recently - and with whom he was supposed to meet in the coming days but will never get the chance."

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:30 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc is awaken form his reverie. "Oh the proprietor... I must say I don't really remember. Funny isn't it? I was shocked by what was happening. But I do remember the waiter trying to tell us that it was all... normal, as if the tea, has a different effect on everybody".

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did you happen to catch the proprietor's name?" asks Jacques. "It might help to look into his background."

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:21 am
by ghill
François leans back in chair clearly satisfied with Jean-Luc's response. So not a trap set specifically for Andre. But surely not a sensible beverage to be selling to the public.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:53 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre can only nod mutely until he composes himself once more, coughing t he begins. "No, I do not believe that it was meant specifically for me, rather anyone who partook of that infernal brew. That being said, I cannot shake the propieters reaction to what happened. Perhaps I need to go back in and try and get some answers from him - after all, don't they say that facing one's fear is the best way of overcoming it?"

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:18 am
by krzyspmac

"You mean you intend to go back after what happened? I agree we got completely nothing out of that whole ordeal but surely you should rest my friend. On the other hand I think we are entitled to some answers!"

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Your willingness to return is the mark of true courage," says Jacques. "Perhaps you could demand a refund to make it plausible. It would be helpful to find out what the ingredients are in this Sapna. There must be something unusual in there, perhaps an opiate or something similar."

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:28 pm
by ghill
There are a number of mushrooms which might cause a similar effect, most of them are quite dangerous in the wrong dosage adds Francois then after thinking for a moment he adds "Perhaps we should send the Gendarmerie at them like dogs flushing the birds from cover"

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I could go in there with Andre, on the pretext that he has made an official complaint," says Jacques. "It might arouse their suspicions for a colonel to show up, though we could try to make it seem as though he has called upon me because I happen to be his friend and have a lot of clout."

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:23 pm
by Cearlan
"Another consideration is that if we go in too heavy handed, the shopkeeper will clam up and deny everything, then we won't have a chance." Andre chips in.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:43 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   So, how do you want to proceed? Andre goes back to the tea room with Jacques?  

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:24 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Sounds good to me, unless anyone else has a better idea.

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Well it seems as though my mettle is to be tested once more - but as long as I have the support of good friends such as yourselves, I shall remain as steadfast as I can." Andre states resolutely, although deep down he felt quite a bit less resolute, he just hoped it did not show.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:24 pm
by Overlord87
Andre walks back into the tea room, feeling his chest tightening. He has to take a deep breath before being able to make another step. The tea room is empty, and the waiter, the same from before, is sitting on a chair, looking sadly at the floor. He stands up when he hears someone entering: "Welc-... Monsieur!", he stops, surprised, then sees Jacques and his face goes pale: "Mon Dieu...!", he whispers.

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:57 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Oui, Mon Dieu indeed Monsieur! I think it's time we had a little conversation you and I. Please sit Monsieur." Andre gestures for him to resume his seat. Taking a seat beside him Andre leans forward and puts his elbows on his knees as he leans towards the waiter, looking him squarely in the eye, yet feeling a whole lot less brave than he hoped he looked, despite the presence of Jacques.

"Monsieur, when me and my friend came in earlier we both had some tea. I had a strange brew called Sapna if I recall - what can you tell me about it's properties and why did it affect me so badly? I would also like to ask you about your response to my reaction to the Sapna, you seemed at once surprised and delighted at what had transpired - at least as best as I can recall."

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:07 pm
by Overlord87
The waiter starts talking slowly, without lifting his gaze from the table: "First of all, let me say that the Sapna tea was legally imported in the country, at least as far as I know." He glances quickly at Jacques as he says this, then looks back at the table. "We buy them from an english company called Wilkins and Regent. They have a branch here in Paris and sell to many other tea rooms. We never wanted to have any trouble with the law". He pauses for a second, catches a long breath, then continues. "The Sapna was immediately a huge hit among our customers. For nine people out of ten, it's just a very good tea. For the remaining, though... it is said to show things, glimpses of... enlightment, I think I heard one of my customers say. Monsieur Savatier, the painter you asked about earlier... he drinks the Sapna, and says the tea has inspired his work. Apparently, there are shamans and the like in India that use the Sapna to foresee the future, see other realities... or whatever. Our customers seem to think that only the most talented and creative react to the Sapna, so it's a sort of game for them... see if the Sapna has an effect on any newcomer, or not. That's why I thought it was a good thing when you reacted to the tea... I thought you knew about it, and would be happy. But I never saw a reaction like yours before." He becomes, if possible, even paler. He adds quickly: "We will never serve it anymore... please, don't shut down this tea room... I beg you". He finally stops talking, and looks exhausted.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"As long as you cooperate with the investigation, I doubt that will be necessary," says Jacques. "I will, of course, require samples of the Sapna for chemical analysis."

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:53 am
by Overlord87
The man nods meekly, and disappears in the kitchen. After a minute or so, he returns with a small paper bag, that he hands out to Jacques. "The Sapna... all that we had left". The bag indeed seems to be almost full.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:33 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre tries to assess if the man is being entirely truthful.

[dice]0[/dice]

"Alas Monsieur, I had never heard of this particular infusion before, and in all honesty, I am somewhat reluctant to hear of it again. However, what has happened cannot be undone. Could you please tell me where can the offices of this Wilkins and Regent be located Paris?"

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Jacques, taking the bag and looking inside.
OOC,There's no need to roll for Assess Honesty; it's an Investigative Skill.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:41 am
by Overlord87
"Wilkins and Regent office is in Rue de Charonne, not far from Place de la Bastille", the waiter says while sitting down.
Assess Honesty,He seems to be very scared, and you judge he's telling the truth.
Jacques,The bag is half-filled with what seems to be tea, already prepared for infusion. There's a strong scent coming from the open paper bag, and you're sure this is excellent quality tea.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:48 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jacques closes the bag again. "Has Monsieur Dupont been here before, and did he drink the Sapna?" he asks.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:41 am
by Overlord87
"Oui, Monsieur Dupont is one of our habituè, along with Mademoiselle Morvan. Both of them love the Sapna, sometimes they even ask me to prepare some of the infusion so they can bring it home with them", the waiter says.

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

"When was the last time they were here?" asks Jacques. "What effect did the Sapna have on them?"

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:27 pm
by Overlord87
"Yes, the Sapna... had an effect on them... but they looked satisfied about it", the waiter is talking slowly, picking the words, "No one has ever complained about the Sapna, Monsieur. Until today, that is. I think Monsieur Dupont was last here... two days... no, it was three days ago, if I'm not mistaken. If I can, Monsieur...", he then adds hesitantly, "why are you asking me all these questions about Monsieur Dupont?"

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Monsieur Dupont is a friend of mine," says Jacques. "I am concerned about him, for obvious reasons."

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 am
by Overlord87
"Well then, Monsieur... you can ask him or Mademoiselle Morvan... or any of our customers... we all thought the Sapna was perfectly safe", the waiter says energetically.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll be sure to do that," says Jacques. He looks to Andre to see if he has anything else to add.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:48 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre looks at Jacques and sadly shakes his head;

"Thank you four your time and your honesty Monsieur."

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:25 am
by Overlord87
The waiter bows as you leave the shop and head outside to meet again with the others. You walk for a few minutes before you sit down at another cafè to assess the situation and decide what to do next.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"We have some leads now," says Jacques. "I can't analyze the Sapna myself, but I can probably find someone in the gendarmerie who can. There's also the importers, Wilkins and Regent, and we can ask Mademoiselle Morvan about the Sunflower Tea Rooms and the effect the Sapna had on her and Monsieur Dupont. It may also be worth talking to the painter, Monsieur Savatier."

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:09 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"I do believe that the artist fellow, this Monsieur Savatier, may be found in the Latin quarter, should that be our next port of call, or perhaps if the others head over to the importers to find out what they can?"

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm the one with contacts in the gendarmerie," says Jacques, "so I'll need to find someone and drop off the Sapna for analysis. I'd like to do that as soon as possible, as the sooner they start, the sooner they finish. I can also see if there are any files regarding the importers while I'm there. Then I can pay them a visit, once I know more about them."

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:52 am
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   Anyone with Biology and the proper equipment might perform the analysis. Of course, Jacques can rely on the Gendarmerie's experts.  

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd have thought Chemistry would be necessary, and none of us have it, but if Biology will do, one of us could do it.

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:53 am
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
Since it's a bag of minced leaves and herbs, Biology will be fine.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:04 am
by ghill
"OK So Jacques head back and gets his Gendarmerie colleagues to look at his tea," says François "then he can keep it as an official Gendarmerie matter at the tea importers checking their import licenses and the like. The rest of us should go and see this artist Monsieur Savatier and can keep it a private matter about concerned friends"

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"What about Mademoiselle Morvan?" asks Jacques. "Someone should interview her."

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:38 pm
by ghill
"Let's not all scatter to the four winds" says François "I'm concerned there were several individuals in the garden when I looked, we don't want to be outnumbered if we stumble onto something. After all we can always come back to the lady."

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:59 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"I agree," Andre responds, nodding gravely. "Everyone should be doubled up at the very least in the interests of saftey,"

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think time is of the essence," says Jacques, "but as you wish."

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:18 am
by Overlord87
You currently have no idea on Mademoiselle Morvan's whereabouts. The Gendarmerie is looking for her, too, to collect a statement regarding the murder. While Jacques visits the Gendarmerie to leave the sample at the laboratory, he may also ask if there are news on the matter.
Regarding the artist, Savatier, he's not likely to show his face in the Latin Quarter cafès before the evening. You can all meet there late afternoon to start asking around. This would give Jacques enough time to complete his task before rejoining you.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'd hate for three of us to be wasting their time waiting for evening. If there's nothing else for them to do, we could all stick together. Can I deputize the others to make them an official part of the investigation?

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:04 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Do we have any idea where Savatier lives ...this being France at the height of the war I assume the Gendarmerie hold that info? ...or we could simply ask around. It would be nice to corner him at home just to see if there is anything incriminating?  

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:32 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   At the moment you only know that he can usually be found in the Latin Quarter. As many artists in the city during that period, he is an habitual visitor of the many cafés of the area. You can go there and ask around, trying to get an address, or otherwise meet him in a café.

Jacques can get a list of addresses for all the Edoard Savatier in the city with a 1-point Credit Rating spend.  
Mr. Handy,It's not possible to deputize the others, but they can accompany you and enter the gendarmerie as guests under your responsability.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:56 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll spend the point of Credit Rating.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:06 pm
by ghill
"if we split the list between us we can probably eliminate a lot of these men" says Francois
OOC:   We can divest the list of anyone with a title other than Msr eg Dr etc and anyone whose address lies to far from the Latin Quarter  

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, good idea," says Jacques. "He will most likely be living in or near the Latin Quarter so he can be near his usual haunts, so we should start with the addresses there and work our way outwards."

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:17 pm
by Overlord87
You leave the cafè and head out to the Gendarmerie headquarters. There you discover that Madeleine Morvan's whereabouts are still unknown. She was seen leaving Dupont's house before the discovery of the body, after that she disappeared. They searched for her at her house, but she wasn't there. The gendarmerie has not yet issued an official search warrant, but it will probably happen before the end of the day.

Jacques requests for the address list, that is provided about an hour later. There are seven Edoard Savatier in Paris right now. One is a child of 7 years, and you can easily rule him out. Similarly, a 68-years old is not likely to be an avant-garde artist. Two others live too far away, and that leaves you with three address, one inside the Latin quartier, two more in nearby arrondissements.

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:53 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Did I find out anything about the importers at the Gendarmerie?

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:29 am
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy,They are regularly registered and haven't so far been involved in any criminal or shadowy activity - at least as far as the Gendarmerie knows.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can't check all three addresses at once unless two of us go by themselves," says Jacques, "so let's all go to the first address, the one in the Latin Quarter. If that doesn't pan out, we can split up into pairs to check the other two."

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:26 pm
by ghill
Yes agreed says Francois if its wrong nothing is lost but some time, a little effort and perhaps some shoe leather.

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:05 pm
by Cearlan
"Then this is exactly what we should do!" agrees Andre "To the Latin Quarter it is then."

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:47 pm
by krzyspmac

Silently Jean-Luc nods in agreement.

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:28 am
by Overlord87