[IC - SCENE 2] The Tea Room

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Re: [IC - SCENE 2] The Tea Room

Post by krzyspmac »

"You mean you intend to go back after what happened? I agree we got completely nothing out of that whole ordeal but surely you should rest my friend. On the other hand I think we are entitled to some answers!"
Just a cultist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Your willingness to return is the mark of true courage," says Jacques. "Perhaps you could demand a refund to make it plausible. It would be helpful to find out what the ingredients are in this Sapna. There must be something unusual in there, perhaps an opiate or something similar."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

There are a number of mushrooms which might cause a similar effect, most of them are quite dangerous in the wrong dosage adds Francois then after thinking for a moment he adds "Perhaps we should send the Gendarmerie at them like dogs flushing the birds from cover"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I could go in there with Andre, on the pretext that he has made an official complaint," says Jacques. "It might arouse their suspicions for a colonel to show up, though we could try to make it seem as though he has called upon me because I happen to be his friend and have a lot of clout."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

"Another consideration is that if we go in too heavy handed, the shopkeeper will clam up and deny everything, then we won't have a chance." Andre chips in.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   So, how do you want to proceed? Andre goes back to the tea room with Jacques?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Sounds good to me, unless anyone else has a better idea.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Well it seems as though my mettle is to be tested once more - but as long as I have the support of good friends such as yourselves, I shall remain as steadfast as I can." Andre states resolutely, although deep down he felt quite a bit less resolute, he just hoped it did not show.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Andre walks back into the tea room, feeling his chest tightening. He has to take a deep breath before being able to make another step. The tea room is empty, and the waiter, the same from before, is sitting on a chair, looking sadly at the floor. He stands up when he hears someone entering: "Welc-... Monsieur!", he stops, surprised, then sees Jacques and his face goes pale: "Mon Dieu...!", he whispers.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Oui, Mon Dieu indeed Monsieur! I think it's time we had a little conversation you and I. Please sit Monsieur." Andre gestures for him to resume his seat. Taking a seat beside him Andre leans forward and puts his elbows on his knees as he leans towards the waiter, looking him squarely in the eye, yet feeling a whole lot less brave than he hoped he looked, despite the presence of Jacques.

"Monsieur, when me and my friend came in earlier we both had some tea. I had a strange brew called Sapna if I recall - what can you tell me about it's properties and why did it affect me so badly? I would also like to ask you about your response to my reaction to the Sapna, you seemed at once surprised and delighted at what had transpired - at least as best as I can recall."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The waiter starts talking slowly, without lifting his gaze from the table: "First of all, let me say that the Sapna tea was legally imported in the country, at least as far as I know." He glances quickly at Jacques as he says this, then looks back at the table. "We buy them from an english company called Wilkins and Regent. They have a branch here in Paris and sell to many other tea rooms. We never wanted to have any trouble with the law". He pauses for a second, catches a long breath, then continues. "The Sapna was immediately a huge hit among our customers. For nine people out of ten, it's just a very good tea. For the remaining, though... it is said to show things, glimpses of... enlightment, I think I heard one of my customers say. Monsieur Savatier, the painter you asked about earlier... he drinks the Sapna, and says the tea has inspired his work. Apparently, there are shamans and the like in India that use the Sapna to foresee the future, see other realities... or whatever. Our customers seem to think that only the most talented and creative react to the Sapna, so it's a sort of game for them... see if the Sapna has an effect on any newcomer, or not. That's why I thought it was a good thing when you reacted to the tea... I thought you knew about it, and would be happy. But I never saw a reaction like yours before." He becomes, if possible, even paler. He adds quickly: "We will never serve it anymore... please, don't shut down this tea room... I beg you". He finally stops talking, and looks exhausted.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"As long as you cooperate with the investigation, I doubt that will be necessary," says Jacques. "I will, of course, require samples of the Sapna for chemical analysis."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

The man nods meekly, and disappears in the kitchen. After a minute or so, he returns with a small paper bag, that he hands out to Jacques. "The Sapna... all that we had left". The bag indeed seems to be almost full.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre tries to assess if the man is being entirely truthful.

[dice]0[/dice]

"Alas Monsieur, I had never heard of this particular infusion before, and in all honesty, I am somewhat reluctant to hear of it again. However, what has happened cannot be undone. Could you please tell me where can the offices of this Wilkins and Regent be located Paris?"
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Jacques, taking the bag and looking inside.
OOC,There's no need to roll for Assess Honesty; it's an Investigative Skill.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Wilkins and Regent office is in Rue de Charonne, not far from Place de la Bastille", the waiter says while sitting down.
Assess Honesty,He seems to be very scared, and you judge he's telling the truth.
Jacques,The bag is half-filled with what seems to be tea, already prepared for infusion. There's a strong scent coming from the open paper bag, and you're sure this is excellent quality tea.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques closes the bag again. "Has Monsieur Dupont been here before, and did he drink the Sapna?" he asks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Oui, Monsieur Dupont is one of our habituè, along with Mademoiselle Morvan. Both of them love the Sapna, sometimes they even ask me to prepare some of the infusion so they can bring it home with them", the waiter says.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"When was the last time they were here?" asks Jacques. "What effect did the Sapna have on them?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"Yes, the Sapna... had an effect on them... but they looked satisfied about it", the waiter is talking slowly, picking the words, "No one has ever complained about the Sapna, Monsieur. Until today, that is. I think Monsieur Dupont was last here... two days... no, it was three days ago, if I'm not mistaken. If I can, Monsieur...", he then adds hesitantly, "why are you asking me all these questions about Monsieur Dupont?"

Return to “Paris: City of Tears”