OOC Chat

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Re: OOC Chat

Post by krzyspmac »

My condolences as well :/
Just a cultist.
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

Sorry guys, I got ill and the last week is a blur...
Just a cultist.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

This scene split the group and some of the players didn't have the chance to participate much (I'm thinking especially of ghill). Sometimes, it goes like this. I hope you didn't get too bored, time to jump back in ;)
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Post by ghill »

Nope, I don't feel a need to be in every scene, had no issues with it and am happy to watch. It didn't make any sense for Francois to go in. Had I been quicker thinking I would have, had him walk into the cafe imediatly after events unfolded but Cest la vie.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

A quick Q about skills arising from tea analysis and the question of which skill is appropriate. I thought the whole point was not to worry about what skills you had but simply how to use them, so I could use spend streetwise to get a chemist friend to tell me what the composition was or Bureaucracy to get someone int he school Biology department? Is this not how it works?
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

ghill wrote:A quick Q about skills arising from tea analysis and the question of which skill is appropriate. I thought the whole point was not to worry about what skills you had but simply how to use them, so I could use spend streetwise to get a chemist friend to tell me what the composition was or Bureaucracy to get someone int he school Biology department? Is this not how it works?
Well, this is an interesting point. Technically, you need the correct skill to perform the analysis yourself, and this has the additional advantage that you can be 100% sure the results weren't tampered with. That said, obviously you can always find someone to perform the analysis if you lack the proper skill - especially if the game is set in a large city as it is the case for this one.
I would probably say that it's difficult to find an expert available to perform the analysis with the urgency you require. Most people aren't available to pick up an unexpected job and complete it in 24-48 hours, postponing anything else they were doing. So, if you rely on someone else, you might have to wait longer or make a spend to speed things up (this case is different since Jacques is a high ranking officer and there's an open investigation ongoing - if it was a personal request, I could have requested a Credit Rating spend to use his rank to speed things up with the gendarmerie's laboratory).
The whole concept of GUMSHOE is that the players will always find the core clue they need, and the Keeper should always allow the players to come up with a clever solution. On the other hand, there's always a right ability for the job, and the players should be rewarded for having created a balanced party that covers most of them. Otherwise, we would only need 3 or 4 skills, and the game would be poorer.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

I've been trying to see if I can find out anything about the Gendarmerie's powers

It is a branch of the French Armed Forces which I believe at this point in time is still under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Defence.

This is about all I can find;

The powers of French police and gendarmerie forces are constrained by statute law. The rules of procedure depend on the stage of enquiry:

1) Crimes committed in flagrante delicto (in the act), in which a suspect was found committing the crime, or pursued by witnesses, or found in possession of objects from the crime or other probable cause.

2) Preliminary enquiries: it is unclear whether a crime, or which crime, has been committed, but there exist good reasons to believe this might be the case.

3) Judicial information: an investigative magistrate (a judge, external to the police) supervises an inquiry on a case where it is certain, or at least very probable, that a crime has been committed.

In particular, outside of crimes in flagrante delicto, law enforcement forces may not conduct searches or arrests without a specific commission from the investigative magistrate. Depending on legal status of cases, not all law enforcement officers are able to act; some powers are restricted to those with special legal qualifications (see next section). - Which basically means we can't kick the door in without a good reason.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

So, apart from Mr. Handy, are the others alive? :D
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

I am. I'm just following his lead for now :-)
Just a cultist.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Alive just waiting to see how matters develop.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Just posting to say I'll open the new topic on the weekend ;)
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

And I'd like to apologies for not being active. I've went to visit my family. In effect I've lost one week to jet-lag, three to parties, now I'm recuperating xD
Just a cultist.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Updated the section with NPCs and clues.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

I'm away for a week to see my daughter and my new grand-daughter. I may be able to get on but have a busy schedule planned, as you can imagine - also I have my birthday smack bang in the middle of next week.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Overlord how do you want us to handle this conversation with Juliene. I'm hoping no word by word :)

Also Cearlan congrats on the new grand-kiddy, (whilst hoping I have at least another 10 years before I need to think about hearing the patter of little feet again)
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Well, you can skip some parts, for example:

Francois tells Julien what happened in Verchanne. (Without actually writing down everything that happened).

Or something like that. You might want to ask him something, I don't know.

If you wish to cut it short and tell him nothing, well, that's fine by me, too. We'll close it in a few posts.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Won't be able to follow the forum for a few days. See you on friday ;)
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

Sorry guys, gonna try to use the internal dice roller here :) Tried that a second ago, failed, tried to edit the post, didn't work as all my consecutive "dice" entries got added to each other and I could not remove any of them :D

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]"1d6"[/dice]
Just a cultist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

The dice roller instructions are here.

Basically, what you need to do to roll 1d6 is this:

Code: Select all