Page 1 of 1

[IC - Scene 1] The Party

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:13 am
by Overlord87
After his villa and lands in the eastern France were lost to the advancing Germans, Sebastien Dupont has moved in his apartment in Paris, a beautiful, huge house in the 4th arrondissement, with view on Notre Dame de Paris. Here he lives, avoiding contact with the world as much as possible. It is in fact quite rare to see him in public, and even his business activities are more often than not delegated to Julien Faure. But despite his dislike for public appearances and social interaction, every month he holds a party in his house. Only the élite of the country is allowed to participate, including the most successful businessmen, military officers and politicians. Even the military governor of the city himself is said to have attended these parties in a couple of occasions.

As you enter in the room, you are met by the gentle light of a hundred candles. It is prohibited to light anything else at night, and even so, the shutters are closed to avoid any chance some light might be seen from outside. The candles give a strange atmosphere to the room, almost dreamlike. A piano is placed on a corner of the large room, with a beautiful woman intent on playing a soft melody. On a wall, four paintings are hung for display, strange things painted in a style quite different from the classical canons of art. You count around thirty people in the room, divided in half a dozen small groups, some gathered around the piano, some near the paintings, some others on the couches near the center of the room. A long rectangular table on one side features a vast selection of food, meat and fish and cheese, things you have rarely seen in the city since the beginning of the war. Truly, money can buy anything, even in a sieged city.

You are met by Julien Faure. "Welcome, my friend. How are you? Come, let me show you around, introduce you to some people".

Spoiler:
OOC:   Take some time to introduce your character, meet the other investigators and maybe some NPCs.  

Re: [IC - Scene 1] The Party

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

Colonel Jacques Hebert enters, looking spiffy in his dress uniform. One thing he likes about it is that he never lacks something to wear to formal occasions and when mixing with the upper crust. Though he is in his mid-sixties, he is still in decent shape, in large part due to his faithful adherence to his regimen of exercise. He is tall and imposing, but with a friendly smile. "Good evening," he says, reaching out to shake Julien's hand with a strong grip. "I am well, all things considered." He can't help feeling a pang of guilt for being in such lavish surroundings when most Parisians have to make do with less, especially with the hardships of war. "Thank you, I'd be delighted."

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:01 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Hello Julien, I am well enough, though my leg plays up on occasion." I say slapping my left leg. "How are you my old friend" I say shaking his hand warmly. Taking his elbows and leaning back I look him up and down. "You are looking very well and I am pleased to see that you have managed to grow your infernal moustache at long last," I add with a laugh on my lips, remembering that Julien always tried to grow a moustache, albeit unsuccessfully.

Knowing this would be a black tie affair, I dress appropriately, noting the decorated Gendarme who entered a few minutes before me as I waited to be announced by the liveried footman, though I didn't quite catch his name - no matter. I walk somewhat unsteadily on my lame foot, which has been playing up somewhat today, it must be the damp Parisiene air. Scanning the room I see about half a dozen faces that I recognie, though I am unable to put names to them. Sebastien Dupont is one face I cannot see.

"I do half-recognise one or two people here Julien, but the time I spent in the field means that I am not as au-fait with this fair cities movers and shakers as I used to be. Please lead on my friend," I say to Julein.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:31 pm
by Overlord87
Julien takes Andrè through the room towards the piano, where Jacques is standing, enraptured by the beautiful music. "Well, Andrè, my friend", he says while happily caressing his moustache, "you know it was always a matter of time. When a man reaches a certain age, he has no choice but to grow a refined, manly moustache like this. I'm sure you'll understand, in due time." A few seconds later, the woman finishes playing the piano, and stands up to receive the applause of the room, bowing lightly. "Ah, Madeleine,my dear, beautiful, beautiful playing. You truly are a bright star in these dark nights, shining hope on our anguished hearts".
The woman laughs, covering her mouth with a thin hand. "Oh, Julien, you're a flatterer. You could easily have half the women of Paris at your feet, with that quick tongue of yours", she says, with a hint of mischievousness, that Julien seems to ignore as he speaks again: "Allow me to introduce you to these two gentlemen. Here is Andre Saint-Pasquet, a friend from the happy times at the University and one of the most renowned young archaelogists of the country. The gendarme is one of our most highly honored guests tonight, Colonel Jacques Hebert, I'd dare say almost a living legend among the military. Gentlemen, I present you Madeleine Morvan, a woman who I believe requires no further introduction". Madeleine smiles amiably and offers you her hand.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:18 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Enchanté Madame Morvan," Andre says as he takes the musicians hand and bows formally over it. "I should compliment you on the excellent standard of your piano playing, though being totally unable to play a note myself, on any instrument, simply increases my respect for those able to do so. As for Julien being a flatterer, I can report to you that he was exactly the same at University."

Once Jacques has spoken to Madame Morvan, I turn to him and firmly shake his hand. "A genuine pleasure to meet you Sir, your fame precedes you."

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"Enchanté," says Jacques, repeating the gesture over Madeleine's hand. "Monsieur Dupont is a very lucky man. You play magnificently!"

He turns when Andrè greets him and shakes his hand. "Thank you, Monsieur Saint-Pasquet, though no doubt tales of my valor have been exaggerated. Why, to hear them tell it, I single-handedly won the Franco-Prussian War, when in fact we lost. That won't happen this time. The boches will never again set foot in Paris so long as I draw breath. Still, we did give the Communards a good hiding." He fingers his own mustache. "Our friend Julien is right about growing a mustache when one is past a certain age. It gives a man a dignified appearance. On a woman, it just looks silly. You should seriously consider one for yourself. I was younger than you when I grew mine. It took me a while to realize what I needed, but then I saw that the answer was right under my nose." He chuckles a little at his own joke.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:22 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
I am a firm believer that first impressions count a lot, and I am impressed with the Gendarmes self depreciating demeanor. With a slight bow and wry smile on his lips Andre replies;

"Please Monsieur Colonel Herbert, please to call me Andre. Ah but when I last tried to grow a mustache, it made my face look as though someone had sprayed ink on my top lip, rather unevenly and too sparse for my taste, though admittedly that was some years ago. But we forget our manners, Mme Madeline. Which look do you prefer the look of a man with a mustache or a man without?" I stand between both Julien and Jacques so she may make the comparison easier.

"But I am flanked here by to fine mustachioed gentlemen so maybe the question is impertinent, or at the best unbalanced against me." I add with a smile on my lips as I look into the emerald depths of Madelaine's eyes.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:24 pm
by Overlord87
Madeleine laughs: "My, my, Julien, look at the predicament you've put me into. Perhaps I should just cut your moustache, and we'd be done with the matter".

"Or perhaps", Julien replies, "Andrè should just grow his own and then we could judge the difference. Right, my friend? You should have plenty of time during your next expedition. Where do you plan on going this time? Africa? Middle East... or maybe South America?"

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:05 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc Coté enters holding a hat in his hands. He's average size, a bit more chubby that he'd like to admit, although he never skips his exercises. Time has been kind to him and thus he's treating time as a goddess - never wastes it.

Today he dressed to impress. This suit is a bit tight but he's not going to show it. A couple of hours and just might get what he needs. A professor doesn't have lots of opportunities like this. The war takes everything, funding included and God knows his faculty could use a new telescope. Looking around the room he knows he's in the right place.

He puts up a smile and tries to find a friendly face in the, otherwise obscured, group of people.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Monsieur Dupont has a mustache as well," says Jacques. "I believe that settles the question of the lady's preference, Andre. And you may call me Jacques."

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:00 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Then I shall of course try and grow one starting tomorrow, though I fully expect to be ridiculed for my efforts, and as to the lady's preference - your logic is flawless Jacques. Would anyone care for some refreshments?" I ask as I see a waiter pass by.
(An assumption on my behalf - Overlord,feel free to alter this if this is not the case)

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:59 pm
by Overlord87
"That's a good idea, Andre" says Julien in a cheerful tone of voice. He looks around the room for a second, holds his gaze briefly towards the entrance, then says: "Forgive me for a moment, there's one more guest I need to welcome right now". He smiles apologetically and leaves.

Julien welcomes Jean-Luc as he moves hesitantly into the room: "Good evening, my friend. It's a pleasure to meet you in a more... "normal", shall I say... environment than our usual meetings. How are you doing today?"

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, that would be great," says Jacques, looking to see what their host has provided for them.

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:22 am
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc welcomes a friendly face with a relief. The last time he was ordered to "socialize" he almost had a nervous breakdown. "Ah Julien, wonderful to see you" he says and immediately notices that his palms are sweaty and tries to inconspicuously wipe them on his jacket. "Oh, you mean my observatory. Yes, I suppose I do spend perhaps too many solitary hours there. I will say this one for the war" he says looking around the room. "The blackouts are perfect for stargazing. I do not think the rest of the population share my perspective" he adds trying to get his bearings.

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:38 am
by Overlord87
Julien keeps talking as he leads Jean-Luc towards the piano: "The food is very good, hard to come by anything this good in these days. I suggest the cheese, simply delicious. There are some paintings over there, strange things, modern art, can't really bring myself to understand it, to be honest. But here we are". The two men join the group: "Jean-Luc, let me introduce you to my friends Andrè and Colonel Jacques Hebert, along with the beautiful Madeleine Morvan". The woman smiles as she offers Jean-Luc her hand: "It's a pleasure to meet you, monsieur".

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:00 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc strugles with the fought for a while but decides on a gentle shake. "Bon soir Mademoiselle. Delighted to meet you as well.". He nods to Andrè and Colonel Jacques Hebert adding "Gentlemen".

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Good evening, Monsieur," says Jacques to Jean-Luc, extending his hand. "What is your profession, may I ask?"

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:59 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc shakes his hand trying to match the force. "I'm afraid it's nothing spectacular" says Jean-Luc with in a typical professor-type voice and adds "I'm an astrophysicist".

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't call that nothing spectacular," says Jacques, after shaking his hand vigorously. "It is a noble ambition to reach for the stars, and perhaps one day research in your field will make it literally possible. The twentieth century has many marvels and limitless possibilities. Consider the aeroplane. Earlier generations would have thought it impossible, but it is a fact of life now. In the future, someone may invent a vessel that can fly to the moon, like in that novel by Jules Verne."

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:20 pm
by krzyspmac

"I completely agree about the possibilities." adds Jean-Luc in a rather abrupt manner and immediately adds "In science even the smallest of discoveries might become important further down the road and we all would like to find our names in the annals of science." Takes a small pause to catch his breath and adds "It's just the work is not glamorous and the eventual prestige and glory might come late, or not come at all."

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:26 pm
by Overlord87
Madeleine laughs as she says: "A trip to the moon... now that's something I would very much like to do. If you ever find a way to get there, monsieur, please let me know first. What about you, Colonel? Would you travel to the moon to and plant our glorious flag there?"

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:44 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre steps behind Jacques so as not to interfere with the conversation between Madelaine and the Colonel and extends his hand towards Jean-Luc, "Pleased to make your acquaintance Jean-Luc, Did I hear you say you were an astrophysicist, What does that entail if you don't mind me asking? I personally am a humble archaeologist at your service monsoiur."

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, indeed I would, my dear!" says Jacques with a wistful look. "Would that I had the chance. Alas, it probably will not be within my lifetime. Still, an old man can dream, n'est-ce pas?"

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:20 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-luc turns to Andre and shakes his hand saying "The pleasure is all mine Sir. As for the work itself today - it changed much during the ages. Some of us moved to stellar astronomical spectroscopy, that is the study of the electromagnetic spectrum of stellar bodies. But the old guard, myself included, still hunt for planets". He tries to hide his nervous, shaking hand, by hiding it in his pocket. "As you may know the irregularities in the orbit of Neptune make a ninth planet in our solar system a real possibility and me and my colleagues would very much be the ones to claim it".

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:43 pm
by Overlord87
Image Image

Suddenly, your conversation is cut short by a commotion rising in the middle of the room. At the center of a group of half a dozen people, two men are confronting each other. One is young, wears the uniform of the french air force, l'Armee de l'Air - and shows a couple of shining medals on top of it. The other is a civilian, middle-aged, wearing an elegant but somewhat worn out dress. His face is grim and he has bags under his eyes. Everything in him gives the impression that he has seen better days.

The man in uniform has moved menacingly near the other one, and being easily 20 centimeters taller, is towering on him. He grabs the other man's jacket and screams: "Traitor! Be thankful I don't have my gun with me, or I would have shot you already!". The other man seems worried, but still manages to muster the courage to answer back: "It's never treason to speak the truth. Never!".
The man in uniform doesn't take those words very well, and throws the other man on the floor, violently. The situation looks ready to escalate into a very unpleasant one.

Julien rushes immediately towards the two men, a worried expression on his face.

OOC:   The Colonel can make a 1 point Military Talk spend to recognize the man in uniform.  

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, I'll spend 1 Military Talk.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:14 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet

"Ah Jean-Luc, it all sounds a bit scientific for me ... though I am an adherent of a eighteenth century German archaeologist, a Herr Winckelmann, who applied scientific ..."
I do not manage to finish the sentence due to the commotion caused by the two men. I make to move between the two men and Madame Madeleine.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jacques also strides forward to intervene, trying to position himself between the two men. "Monsieur Fonck!" he says, smiling. "I thought I recognized you. You're one of France's greatest heroes! Might I have a word with you?"

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:56 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc tightens the grip on his hat. He doesn't like fights and usually takes the fast way out. "I guess tensions are high around the city at the moment" he says forcing a smile towards Madeleine.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:12 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote: Jacques also strides forward to intervene, trying to position himself between the two men. "Monsieur Fonck!" he says, smiling. "I thought I recognized you. You're one of France's greatest heroes! Might I have a word with you?"
The man in uniform stops for one second, and that's all the time Julien needs to pick up the man on the floor and help him away. After seeing his opponent retires, the young man slowly shakes his head, then offers his hand towards Jacques: "It's a pleasure to meet you...", he pauses for a second as he looks towards Jacques' uniform to check his rank,"... colonel. I'm sorry if my earlier behavior caused a disturbance, but that man... he dared to say that we should propose peace to the Germans. Such disrespect to our fallen comrades... I could not accept it".

krzyspmac wrote:Jean-Luc tightens the grip on his hat. He doesn't like fights and usually takes the fast way out. "I guess tensions are high around the city at the moment" he says forcing a smile towards Madeleine.
Madeleine nods, suddenly a grave expression on her face. "Indeed they are... and I fear things will only get worse."
Julien has helped the middle-age man stand up and is accompanying him towards the piano, speaking slowly in a reassuring way. The man looks shaken, fearful and slightly ashamed. Madeleine makes a gesture towards one of the waiters, calling him close, then tells him: "Some whisky for the gentleman, please".

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Colonel Jacques Hebert," says Jacques, pumping his hand with vigor that belies his age. "I'm pleased to make your acquaintance as well. It's quite understandable, your reaction. I'd have been furious too had I heard what he said. The important thing is you maintained discipline in spite of the provocation."

Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:20 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote: "Colonel Jacques Hebert," says Jacques, pumping his hand with vigor that belies his age. "I'm pleased to make your acquaintance as well. It's quite understandable, your reaction. I'd have been furious too had I heard what he said. The important thing is you maintained discipline in spite of the provocation."

Renè shakes Jacques's hand with as much strength. "Well, I still think a couple of punches could have been... helpful... in fixing his head, but perhaps that would have ruined the party for everyone else. And that would have been a shame. It's not often that we get a chance like this, these days. I feel I'm spending more time on my airplane than in Paris, recently." The young man shakes his head. "But still better than in the trenches. It's a bloody massacre down there. That's not how decent people should fight a war".

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sadly, that is all too true," says Jacques with a sigh. "Warfare is not like it was when I was a young man. Where is the glory in mowing down thousands of men with machine guns? In the air, though, you can at least pit your skills against other pilots. Knights of the sky..."

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:13 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Seeing how smoothly Jacques has managed to calm the agitated pilot down Andre raises his eyebrow in appreciation and turns to Madame Madeleine, "Well that was smoothly done by our gendarme friend." Andre nods his approval toward Jacques.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:22 am
by krzyspmac

"Well indeed. My guess is the Colonel disarmed quite a few brawls in his life." says Jean-Luc with a relief. "I guess I will forgo my next question about the war." he says with a smile, trying to disarm the tension.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:57 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote: "Sadly, that is all too true," says Jacques with a sigh. "Warfare is not like it was when I was a young man. Where is the glory in mowing down thousands of men with machine guns? In the air, though, you can at least pit your skills against other pilots. Knights of the sky..."

Renè nods vehemently: "Yes, yes! Exactly! I'm glad to meet someone that can see... can understand! The future is in the air, colonel. I hope the higher-ups understand this"

Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:08 pm
by Overlord87

Madeleine nods towards Andrè: "I expect the Colonel has dealt with more than one brawl in his many years of service. We were quite lucky to have him around tonight".

The other man has sipped some whisky and seems to have regained some composure. He is still speaking with Julien, nodding and apologizing. The two move away, towards the paintings hung for display on the far side of the room, careful to avoid the the Colonel and the young pilot.

"Well, we seem to be safe." Madeleine says, smiling. "Let's forget this unexpected incident... Monsieur Saint-Pasquet, with your work, I expect you have had many chances to travel the world. Where you have been? Any adventurous tale you might share with us?"

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed, just so!" says Jacques, just as pleased to meet a kindred spirit. "The aeroplane will change warfare forever. I think the generals recognize that, but they don't yet see all of the ways in which it can be used. If I had stars on my shoulders, I could better make my suggestions heard. Well, I'm sure there will be opportunities to earn them before this war is over."

Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:31 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Just so Madame Madeleine, A Gendarme's lot may not always be a happy one as the English are fond of saying." Andrè smiles ruefully to his play on the English saying. "Please Madame Madeleine, I insist that you call me Andrè. As for my adventures, such as they are, are fairly limited. I have worked in Francois of course - the Grand Massif; principally Cévennes and the Gorges de la Jonte. As for adventurous travelling of the world - I was on a dig in the French Congo just outside of a village called Bour. The local shaman took an intense dislike to one of my colleagues and put a a primitive curse upon the expedition. Now I am a man with a scientific mind and have no belief in this type of mumbo-jumbo, but a lot of small ... shall I say accidents started to happen." A pained look crosses Andrè's face then he breaks his reverie and looks at Madeleine.

We were jointly funded by Rennes and Leipzig Universities, quite a while before the current state of affairs between ourselves and Germany. The targets of these accidents seemed to be at the French members of the party only, until Hans Terbell, the German epigrapher was found murdered. The Germans in the party laid the blame squarely on us, but I am convinced it was the natives. The funding was swiftly withdrawn from both Universities, despite some decent results. I decided to sail back to Saint-Nazaire with the digs finds whilst the rest of the two parties flew back. Both planes however seem to have simply disappeared and the sting in the tail is that I am the only remaining survivor. Andrè shakes his head sadly at the memory.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:55 pm
by krzyspmac

"How dreadful" says Jean-Luc. "I hope you won't find this presumptuous of me - but how fascinating at the same time! Coming from a astrophysics professor's position I must say that is quite adventurous of you Monsieur! The loss of life is always tragic but I would be more than willing to put mine on the line in the pursuit of science than for petty squabbles with no real gain other than..." - he abruptly stops and looks around the room as if looking for potentials eavesdroppers.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:35 pm
by Overlord87

Madeleine looks fascinated by Andre's story, almost morbidly so. "That is incredible, Monsieur Saint-Pasquet. I doubt even Edgar Allan Poe could have crafted a more intriguing tale of terror... and to think that it is real. Do you believe that the curse actually worked? Or it was just a series of unlikely coincidences?"

Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:43 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote:"Indeed, just so!" says Jacques, just as pleased to meet a kindred spirit. "The aeroplane will change warfare forever. I think the generals recognize that, but they don't yet see all of the ways in which it can be used. If I had stars on my shoulders, I could better make my suggestions heard. Well, I'm sure there will be opportunities to earn them before this war is over."

"Indeed. There are still too many German aircrafts in the sky, and I plan on bringing them all down". Renè smiles a fearsome smile, showing all the recklessness that comes with his young age. He then looks curiously around the room. "I was wondering... is Mister Dupont with us? I've never met our host, and I'm quite curious to make his acquaintance. I've heard many stories about him..."

Spoiler:
OOC:   Jacques has already met once with Sebastien Dupont, although quite briefly. He doesn't appear to be in the room at the moment, and he hasn't been since Jacques's arrival at the party.  

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:39 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andrè looks at Madeleine with wide eyes. "Ah Madame Madeleine; there is the rub non? I am a man of scientific grounding so such things as curses have no place in my philosophy ... however, it is hard to fully explain it away. Mayhap someone planted explosive devices upon the planes, that would certainly carry more weight with me than a load of superstitious nonsense like curses."

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've only met Monsieur Dupont once previously," says Jacques, looking around the room. "I have not seen him yet this evening, and he is not currently present, but I think he will most likely put in an appearance and is merely fashionably late. What stories have you heard? I'd be interested to hear them."

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:09 pm
by ghill
François hands his hat and coat to the doorman and looks around the room to see if he recognises any of those already present. He really dislikes these formal gathering and resents the fact that he has given up the opportunity to travel down to Corbières to join some friends with the local Chasse, but with travel curtailed because of the war he is finding getting out of the city more and more difficult. Catching sight of Julien he makes his way across the room.

Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:26 pm
by Overlord87
ghill wrote:François hands his hat and coat to the doorman and looks around the room to see if he recognises any of those already present. He really dislikes these formal gathering and resents the fact that he has given up the opportunity to travel down to Corbières to join some friends with the local Chasse, but with travel curtailed because of the war he is finding getting out of the city more and more difficult. Catching sight of Julien he makes his way across the room.

Image Image

Julien is standing in front of a large painting hung on the wall. It's a strange painting, you can't readily recognize the style but it seems contemporary rather than classic. It represents a huge tower atop a cliff, against a black and cloudy sky. The tower's walls are not straight, but instead curved, making you think that the tower is going to fall the next moment. There's a giant on the tower, howling towards the sky. There is nothing showing the scale of the humanoid on the tower, so it might actually be an human, but you're absolutely sure that it is, in fact, a giant. To complete the picture, a green lightning is falling from the sky, clearly directed towards the tower. It is, overall, an unsettling painting. Two more are hung next to this one, the subject similar at a glance: dark landscapes, strange figures, apocalyptic theme.

Julien is talking with another man, pointing towards the paintings, probably discussing about them. He smiles at you as he sees you. "Francois, I'm glad you could come tonight me. Let me tell you, some time spent in civilized Paris can only do you good, after all that time spent hunting in the wilderness. It's a surprise you could come properly dressed, I half expected you to be covered in furs and leather". He laughs and shakes your hand warmly, then adds: "Allow me to introduce you Monsieur Adolphe Bissette, professor of mathematics at the Sorbonne University".

Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:37 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote: "I've only met Monsieur Dupont once previously," says Jacques, looking around the room. "I have not seen him yet this evening, and he is not currently present, but I think he will most likely put in an appearance and is merely fashionably late. What stories have you heard? I'd be interested to hear them."

Renè lowers his voice: "Well, you know, they say he is a self-made man, and now he's one of the most powerful and rich men in France. Most of these tales are simply about his financial genius and his daring in business... and love". He strikes a quick look at Madeleine across the room. "But there are other stories as well. Darker stories. Slander, most of the times. For some people, he got money from Germany and now works as a double agent. Not likely, if you ask me, considering that he provides weapons for half our armed forces. Other stories say that he signed a pact with the devil. But the ones that are most common... probably because they're more believable... say that he is a Mason. Possibly even a member of occult societies. That this... underworld... helped him reach the position he holds right now".

Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:56 pm
by Overlord87
Cearlan wrote: Andrè looks at Madeleine with wide eyes. "Ah Madame Madeleine; there is the rub non? I am a man of scientific grounding so such things as curses have no place in my philosophy ... however, it is hard to fully explain it away. Mayhap someone planted explosive devices upon the planes, that would certainly carry more weight with me than a load of superstitious nonsense like curses."

"Mmhh, a rationalist, then. I see. What about you, Monsieur?", Madeleine turns towards Jean-Luc. "Do you believe in things that cannot be explained with science? Curses, magic, ghosts and such?"

Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:25 pm
by krzyspmac

"As a man of science I consider rational approach to be sacred Madame. Scientific replication, measurements. Before I start accepting a particular phenomena as real said phenomena must pass all the scientific method testing the scientific community can come up with. So I should say no..." says Jean-Luc.

" I do however spend considerable time in solitude observing the magnificent structures of the galaxy. The enormity of it all makes a man feel quite small. And sometimes, I must admit, I wonder what marvels might the universe come up with, besides us of course" he says with a small smile.

"It may be just old age speaking though".

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:31 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Ah Monsieur, a kindred spirit! There is one proviso I feel I must add though and that is that I doubt that Mankind ... and women too of course" Andrè adds with a nod towards Madeleine, "... has reached the full extent of their understanding of sciences. Why just look at the advances we have made in the last fifty years or so, would they not have seemed like some kind of magic to our forebears?"

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, now that I have not heard,' says Jacques. "He may be a Mason, but I do not know. Being one no doubt does help one climb the ladder faster, as they look out for and elevate each other. Were I one myself, I could try their secret handshake on him, but I never joined them. Otherwise, I probably would be a general by now."

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:16 pm
by ghill
Smiling at Julien Francois then turns and drops his head to Bissette in acknowledgement. "Monsieur Bissette, a pleasure. François Du Monte. I myself despite the Julien's allusion to my love of the Chasse, am professor of languages at Collège d'Harcourt." (also one of the Sorbonne Colleges). Then looking at the picture hanging above them. "It is quite disturbing is it not? I cannot say it is to my taste. I'm more one for Lucien Griveau, nice gentle landscapes"

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote: "Ah, now that I have not heard,' says Jacques. "He may be a Mason, but I do not know. Being one no doubt does help one climb the ladder faster, as they look out for and elevate each other. Were I one myself, I could try their secret handshake on him, but I never joined them. Otherwise, I probably would be a general by now."

"Don't joke about this, Colonel. I wouldn't trust people like them. Moving in the shadows, afraid of their own actions..." Renè's words trail off as his gaze fixes on a young woman entering the room, a pretty brunette in a light green dress. "I'm sorry, Colonel. The lady I was waiting for just arrived, and I have to go greet her. I'm sure you understand..."

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:42 pm
by Overlord87
ghill wrote:Smiling at Julien Francois then turns and drops his head to Bissette in acknowledgement. "Monsieur Bissette, a pleasure. François Du Monte. I myself despite the Julien's allusion to my love of the Chasse, am professor of languages at Collège d'Harcourt." (also one of the Sorbonne Colleges). Then looking at the picture hanging above them. "It is quite disturbing is it not? I cannot say it is to my taste. I'm more one for Lucien Griveau, nice gentle landscapes"

Image Image

Adolphe shakes your hand weakly. His hands are slightly wet. "The pleasure is mine, monsieur Du Monte. I wholeheartedly agree with you, these paintings are quite... inappropriate. I didn't know Monsieur Dupont had such bad taste".

Julien sighs noticeably. "I have to concur. My friend's taste in art seems to have changed quite drastically in the last few months... and these are the results. Very unfortunate. He says this will be the art of the future... but I doubt it. Or rather, I hope he's wrong". He stares thoughtfully at the painting, a troubled expression on his face.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I understand indeed," says Jacques with a smile and a wink. "She is very lovely. I wish you luck." He had met his wife Marie at a party, and from that seed a lifetime of happiness and a large extended family had grown. He hopes the young man will have a similar outcome with the lady.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:07 pm
by ghill
Overlord87 wrote:Adolphe shakes your hand weakly. His hands are slightly wet. "The pleasure is mine, monsieur Du Monte. I wholeheartedly agree with you, these paintings are quite... inappropriate. I didn't know Monsieur Dupont had such bad taste".
Julien sighs noticeably. "I have to concur. My friend's taste in art seems to have changed quite drastically in the last few months... and these are the results. Very unfortunate. He says this will be the art of the future... but I doubt it. Or rather, I hope he's wrong". He stares thoughtfully at the painting, a troubled expression on his face.
Francois winces at the man's damp grip, but quickly hides it with a smile. Turning to Julien.Your friend's change of taste wouldn't have coincided with the arrival of Madame Madeleine would it? Not the first man to have his mind changed by the swing of a woman's hips.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:06 pm
by Overlord87
Cearlan wrote: "Ah Monsieur, a kindred spirit! There is one proviso I feel I must add though and that is that I doubt that Mankind ... and women too of course" Andrè adds with a nod towards Madeleine, "... has reached the full extent of their understanding of sciences. Why just look at the advances we have made in the last fifty years or so, would they not have seemed like some kind of magic to our forebears?"

Madeleine smiles and says. "Perhaps, fifty years from now, we will really fly to the moon, then." She looks around the room for a few seconds. "I am quite used by now to Sebastien's late arrival at his own parties, but I think he might be exaggerating a little tonight. If you'll excuse me, I think it's past time I go drag him out of his room. He's been holed up there all day".

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:11 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote: "I understand indeed," says Jacques with a smile and a wink. "She is very lovely. I wish you luck." He had met his wife Marie at a party, and from that seed a lifetime of happiness and a large extended family had grown. He hopes the young man will have a similar outcome with the lady.

Renè shakes the Colonel's hand one last time, then heads out towards the young lady that just entered the room. Jacques looks around the room and sees Julien talking with two people near the paintings - one of the two is the middle-aged man that was involved in the earlier accident with Renè. On the other side of the room, near the piano, Andre and Jean-Luc are still standing near the piano. Madeleine seems to be headed towards one of the exits of the room.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:26 pm
by Overlord87
ghill wrote: Francois winces at the man's damp grip, but quickly hides it with a smile. Turning to Julien.Your friend's change of taste wouldn't have coincided with the arrival of Madame Madeleine would it? Not the first man to have his mind changed by the swing of a woman's hips.
Image Image

Julien frowns. "I wouldn't quite share your choice of language, but indeed, his taste in art changed after he... found... his new love. And not only that. Most certainly, Madame Morvan's entrance in my friend's life had... extraordinary effects." Julien shakes his head. "Women, as you say. But tell me, Francois, what about you? Are you, perchance, any closer to tieing the knot yourself?"

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques heads over to where Julien is talking to the two people, interested to meet them.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:00 pm
by ghill
Overlord87 wrote:Julien frowns. "I wouldn't quite share your choice of language, ...... But tell me, François, what about you? Are you, perchance, any closer to tieing the knot yourself?"
François, bursts out in laughter. "À chaque fou plaît sa marotte, Julien. Find me a woman of refinement and culture who will forgive me for all the time I spend with the Chasse, or better still loves the Chasse as I do. Then I swear I'll be down on one knee faster than you can say hello"

OOC:   À chaque fou plaît sa marotte - Every fool is pleased with his own folly: François knows his dedication to hunting makes him socially a bit of an oddball and a poor marriage prospect, but enjoys his hobby to much to change.  

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:46 pm
by krzyspmac

"Ah oui" says Jean-Luc towards Andre. "We have made much progress. Although I'm afraid though that our contributions are more than often used to... " - he looks about the room and says "wage war".

"Have you met our illustrious host before Monsieur?"

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 pm
by Overlord87
ghill wrote: François, bursts out in laughter. "À chaque fou plaît sa marotte, Julien. Find me a woman of refinement and culture who will forgive me for all the time I spend with the Chasse, or better still loves the Chasse as I do. Then I swear I'll be down on one knee faster than you can say hello"
Image Image

"Well, my friend, if I ever happen to find a band of amazons riding through Paris with their bows and arrows and swords shining under the sunlight, I'll be sure to let you know", Julien answers you laughing. He then notices the Colonel approaching. "But here's someone that I'm sure can talk some sense into you. Colonel Hebert, allow me to introduce you Monsieur Adolphe Bissette and Monsieur Francois Du Monte".

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pleased to meet you, gentlemen," says Jacques, extending his hand. "What is this about amazons?"

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:06 pm
by ghill
François en vacance in Italy 1912

"I think Julienne was inferring a bit unkindly I might add, that the only women in Paris who might consider marrying me, would be Amazon's from Greek myth. I feel there are probably not many in Paris at the moment so congratulations on my engagement are probably premature" says François taking the Colonel's hand with a nod.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Would that there were Amazons in Paris," says Jacques, shaking his hand. "Their help would be welcome against the Germans. However, do not sell yourself short. There are plenty of eligible ladies in Paris, and with so many young men away at the front, there will be less competition. Now is the ideal time, Monsieur."

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:38 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Not him self directly..." Andre responds, "... though I did spend a few years with his personal secretary at Rennes University where we were both graduates. I do believe my father knew him though. But as for war, I am afraid that is a constant that we are plagued with, I cannot recall a span of fifty years where there has not been conflict of one kind or another on our planet."

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:03 pm
by Overlord87

Adolphe shakes the Colonel's hand. His handshake, weak and slightly wet, is particularly disturbing to a stern man like Jacques. "Pleased to meet you Colonel. Ehrm... ehrm....", he seems willing to say something, but as the conversation progresses with the friendly banter about marriages and amazons, he falls silent and slowly fades into the background. He then walks away, heading towards the buffet.

Spoiler:
OOC:   A 1-point Medicine, Interrogation, Streetwise or Assess Honesty spend is available here, for the Colonel or for Francois. It's a lot of abilities, but all of them makes sense here, so just pick one if you want to make the spend :D  

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:59 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,I'll spend Streetwise.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:27 am
by ghill
In a clear demonstration of why François' will never be described as a "people person" he is oblivious to the Adolphe's exit from the conversation.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"What a curious fellow," muses Jacques. "Hmm...I wonder what he knows that he's not saying. Well, I think I can get him to open up." He follows Adolphe to the buffet, ostensibly to fill his own plate. He stands next to him as he does so. "We meet again, Monsieur Bissette," he says to him. "I recall having seen you a bit earlier this evening. You almost received a thrashing, but fortunately I was able to defuse the situation."

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:28 pm
by Overlord87

Julien looks a little surprised as Adolphe first and Jacques later leave the group and move towards the buffet table. "Well, I supposed they were very hungry... or maybe, Francois, it's your charming presence that has such... unpredictable effects." He bursts our laughing. "Well, luckily, we're in no short supply of company".

Julien walks with you through the room, introducing you half a dozen people you shake hands with, and then forget everything about. Finally you reach a large piano placed in one corner of the room, where two men are standing, far from the crowd. "Oh, here's my friend Andre Saint-Pasquet. We two go way back... We studied together at the university, in Rennes. Then, unlike me and you, he went on to become a respectable member of society... he is an archaeologist, and quite the brilliant one, I should say. This one here is Jean-Luce Cotè, none less than an astrophysicist. He'll make you feel dumb in no time if you allow him to talk for more than a couple of seconds about his work. Gentlemen, my friend here is Francois Du Monte, a professor... you are still a professor, right? They have not fired you yet?"

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:33 pm
by Overlord87
"What a curious fellow," muses Jacques. "Hmm...I wonder what he knows that he's not saying. Well, I think I can get him to open up." He follows Adolphe to the buffet, ostensibly to fill his own plate. He stands next to him as he does so. "We meet again, Monsieur Bissette," he says to him. "I recall having seen you a bit earlier this evening. You almost received a thrashing, but fortunately I was able to defuse the situation."
You notice Adolphe is extremely pale, breathing fast, shallow breaths. He is supporting himself with the table, and seems to be still standing only thanks to that. "Colonel... forgive me...", he tries to regain control, bring back his breathing under control. After a few seconds, he seems to succeed. "I'm sorry... I'm very sorry... it's just... you made me remember someone... a gendarme, like you... and I thought that maybe you could help me... but I'm probably wrong... I'm sorry... give me a few seconds..." He falls silent, closes his eyes, wiping away the sweat from his face.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:43 pm
by ghill
François gives Julienne a gentle push. Then turning to the others "Gentlement, you must forgive Julienne, he simply doesn't understand the educational establishment. Julienne while that old fool Durand prefers long lunches and sleepy afternoons over marking, my job is totally secure" says François holding out his hand to each man in turn. "I'm delighted to make your acquaintance....I suppose neither of you hunt do you?"

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:45 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
I extend my hand and grasp Francois' hand warmly. "Please to call me Andre. Whilst my family has some forested grounds round our humble abode I'm afraid that my left leg prevents me from partaking of the pleasures of the hunt, though I was told by my late brother that it was quite exhilarating. He was always the more active of the two of us. you understand. Well sir, it has to be said that you have us both at a slight disadvantage, as you know our occupations, what, if I may be so impertinent, is it that you do?"

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Of course I can help you," says Jacques. "It is my duty as a gendarme, and one I carry out gladly. Take your time, tell me your problem, and I'll see what I can do for you."
OOC,Using Reassurance.

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:18 pm
by ghill
Cearlan wrote: "Please to call me Andre. Whilst my family has some forested grounds round our humble abode I'm afraid that my leg prevents me from partaking of the pleasures of the hunt, though I was told by my late brother that it was quite exhilarating. He was always the more active of the two of us. you understand. Well sir, it has to be said that you have us both at a slight disadvantage, as you know our occupations, what, if I may be so impertinent, is it that you do?"
My apologies Gentlemen, Sometimes I would forget my own head. Says Francois with a grin. I teach languages at the Sorbonne. I cannot say it is not my calling, but I seem to have a natural talent for languages if not for teaching. We have a very good Archaeology department at the Sorbonne, or at least so I'm told. Astrophysics, however is that not simply astronomy. More importantly how do two such well educated gentlemen come to keep the company of such a rogue as Julienne or are you friends of Mr Du Pont?

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:11 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote: "Of course I can help you," says Jacques. "It is my duty as a gendarme, and one I carry out gladly. Take your time, tell me your problem, and I'll see what I can do for you."

Adolphe looks uncertain for a few seconds, then says. "A dear friend of mine... his name was Christophe Duchamps... he was a gendarme, sent to the front in the most critical days of the last few months... I'm sure you remember as well, those days..." Adolphe closes his eyes and breathes, slowly, then continues: "He lost a leg... a German grenade... nothing could be done. He committed suicide a few weeks later... couldn't bear the pain... and I think... more that that... the disability. I went to his funeral... five days ago." He looks around nervously, then starts speaking fast, as a wave of water erupting from a collapsed dam. No more pauses, no more hesitations. As if unloading a heavy weight from his conscience. "But I saw him Colonel two days ago I'm sure I saw him I'm not crazy it was him I'm sure I saw him and he had only one leg and I'm sure he was him how could it be Colonel". He takes one more deep breath and leans on to the wall, the face even paler than before. "I went to his funeral Colonel, I saw his body in the coffin and he was dead, then I saw him walking through the streets... I was there, frozen solid... watching him... and he left on a military vehicle... and then I lost him".

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't think you're going mad," says Jacques. "There must be a rational explanation for what you saw. Christophe Duchamps sounds like he was a good man, and I'm sorry I never had the chance to meet him. Did he have a brother by any chance? Perhaps that was who you saw. If he did, of course his brother would be in the Army too, and it's quite possible that he also lost a leg. It happens all too often. He may have looked much the same."

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:43 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I don't think you're going mad," says Jacques. "There must be a rational explanation for what you saw. Christophe Duchamps sounds like he was a good man, and I'm sorry I never had the chance to meet him. Did he have a brother by any chance? Perhaps that was who you saw. If he did, of course his brother would be in the Army too, and it's quite possible that he also lost a leg. It happens all too often. He may have looked much the same."

Adolphe doesn't look convinced... but more than that, he looks exhausted. He nods weakly. "If you could look into that, Colonel, I'd be-"

And then a female scream cuts through the joyful atmosphere of the party.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:46 pm
by Overlord87
The scream is sudden and unexpected. A female voice, screaming in absolute horror. It doesn't come from inside the room, but it's definitely from somewhere inside the house . For a second, everyone stands still, faces showing absolute surprise.

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques listens to try to determine from where the scream came, intent on rushing in that direction.
OOC,Would Sense Trouble help?

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:09 pm
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   There are only three ways in and out the room: the one you came in from, that leads through an entrance hall and then outside the house; the second, is a small door used by the waiters to access the kitchen; that leaves only the third door, an elegant wooden door painted in red. The scream definitely came from somewhere beyond that door.  

Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques rushes for the red door to burst through it and help the screaming woman on the other side.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:45 pm
by ghill
François hurredly places his glass down then follows the Colonel towards the door.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:53 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre looks over towards where the dashing gendarme, Jacques and François are heading. He places his glass down deliberately and mentally steeling himself he follows his new friend towards the red door as fast as decorum, and his game leg will allow.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:27 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc puts down his hat and follows the other men towards the door.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:16 pm
by Overlord87
You open the door and head into a corridor leading inside the private section of the house. Behind you, you can hear people talking, some women screaming, and the voice of Julien: "Stay calm! Everybody stay calm and head to the exit. Thank you."

The corridor looks empty, but you can hear the sound of someone crying and sobbing from a while ahead, where the corridor turns to the right. Once you get past the corner, you see an old woman, dressed as a maid, in front of an open door. As soon as she sees you, she points to somethings inside the open door, without looking at it directly, as if looking is too much to bear. And when you enter the room, you realize why: there's a body on the floor, sprawled over an elegant carpet. It's a man, wearing an elegant black dress. He's missing his head, and looks covered in small wounds.

The room itself is about 4x4 meters, there's an elegant Louis XVI writing desk, a chair and a large library as the only pieces of furniture. You also see three paintings on the wall, the same art style of those you saw earlier in the party room. Excluding the door you came in from, there's another door, closed, and a large open window.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Everybody roll Stability.  

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:41 pm
by ghill
OOC:   Stability test: [dice]0[/dice]  
Though he is used to the killing and butchering what he hunts the idea someone would kill am man is fairly abhorrent to François who turns his back on the body. "Sacré bleu!"

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:23 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Mon Dieu!" gasps Jacques, the sight too much for him. While he has seen plenty of the horrors of war, he wasn't expecting to find something so dreadful here in the heart of Paris.
OOC,Stability roll for seeing the headless corpse: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:33 pm
by krzyspmac
OOC:   Rolled a 2 on a 1d6 (can't use the internal dice roller, or don't know how to :D  
Jean-Luc covers his face with a small handkerchief.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:29 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
OOC:   Like krzyspmac, I cannot remember how to utilise the internal dice roller - I looked at my previous games but they seemed to be the now defunct Invisible Castle = Anywho - I rolled a 3 on 1D6  
Andre screws his eyes tightly shut but cannot erase the after image left by horrendous scene left in his memory - an image that will never fade until his dying days.

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:19 pm
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
OOC:   Well, congratulations, you're all off a great start towards madness :D Everybody loses 3 points of stability.  

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques takes a deep breath, summoning up his professionalism. He is still a gendarme, and he knows what to do in this situation. "Nobody touch anything," he says. "Leave it all exactly where it is. There may be important evidence left by whoever did this monstrous thing: fingerprints, cigarette ash, who knows?" Recalling the techniques he learned through decades on the job and from reading the Sherlock Holmes mysteries, he carefully examines the room and the body for clues.
OOC,I'd like to use Evidence Collection and Forensics. [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=318&t=5318]Here[/url] are carnage_lee's instructions for the dice roller.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques examines the window and frame. "This is definitely the point of entry," he says, "and most likely the point of exit as well. The window was forced open from the outside." Then he turns his attention to the decapitated body. "His shoes have soil on them, as if he'd been walking a lot outside. I can't tell what kind of soil, though. Perhaps one of you would know better. And there's not as much blood as you'd think there would be if he was killed here. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that he was killed somewhere outside and then deposited here. He's covered in bite marks. They look canine, but there's something...off about them. Something about the shape of the jaws. It looks like three or four of the beasts chewed on him. But was it before or after he was killed?"
OOC,I'll spend a point of Locksmith to examine the window further.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:32 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
The bile rises up in Andre's throat and he struggles hard to keep his stomach contents exactly where they are. "Monsieur Jacques - wh ... when I was in Africa I saw one of the porters who had been savaged by an African Wild dog - vicious damned things. Without being too indelicate,has any flesh been removed as I believe animals will generally only attack if hungry or to protect themselves or their lair."

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques scratches his chin. "I'm not sure," he says, swallowing his disgust as he examines the body. "The animals may have just been chewing on the body after the poor fellow was already dead. And of course, I seriously doubt they removed the head. They certainly couldn't have deposited him here."

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:49 am
by ghill
François turns his back on the corpse. "I'll look outside I may be able to find evidence of the assailants in the garden or the flowerbeds"
OOC:   As a dedicated hunter I'd expect François to have some chance of finding tracks or at least evidence of the assailants passing. But I'm not sure what skill would be appropriate. Stealth perhaps?  

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:33 pm
by Overlord87
Francois, in the corridor outside the room

As Francois runs outside, headed for the garden, he meets Julien halfway down the corridor, running in the other direction, towards the room. "Francois! What happened? Who was screaming?"

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:06 am
by ghill
François does not stop for his friend, but hurries past. calling back over his shoulder. "There has been a murder, there is is a body in the room back there. The study? Le Colonel is in there at the moment, but you should call the Police. Whoever it is, they have been decapitated. There is blood everywhere!

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:54 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Juc, trying hard not to loose his little handkerchief, says: "Dog you say? I've heard of vicious beasts but here? In the civilized world?". He struggles but he can't help himself at look more closely at the body.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"There were three or four of them, and they probably weren't dogs, exactly," says Jacques. "This is not the work of man's best friend. Perhaps wolves, though. If this poor fellow was out walking in the woods, there could have been a pack of them there. Hmm...I wonder if he has some form of identification in his pockets. It's rather hard to know who he was without his head."

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:42 am
by Overlord87

Julien enters the room running, out of breath, then stops as he sees the body on the floor. "Oh God... oh my God... Sebastien?", he kneels next to the body, but seems reluctant to touch it. "This... this is terrible". Then he seems to remember something, stands up and runs to the library, then to the writing desk, searching among books and letters. "It's gone... oh no no no... it's gone...", he leans on the writing desk, as if suddenly too weak to stand on his own, his head down, eyes closed.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:13 pm
by ghill
François pauses only long enough to allow the doorman to open the door for him and then strides out to the garden. Pausing at the gate, he approaches the window as he would if he were tracking a deer.
OOC:   François uses Outdoorsman to discover any tracks.  

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques follows Julien to the library, offering to support him. "What is missing?" he asks.

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:31 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Following his old friend, Andre finds himself on the doorway of the library "Julien my friend ... pray tell me, just what is amiss?" I ask.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:34 pm
by Overlord87

"A weapon... the plans for a new secret weapon... we believe it could have shifted the balance of power in our favor... save thousands of lives... and it's gone. What if the germans got it? Oh God, I don't even want to think about it." He stops, looking at all of you for a moment. "You must understand that only the government and a few generals know about this. It's imperative that things remain this way. For now, we must search this room for any trace we can find, before the police gets here. They must remain out of this, at all costs".

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:52 pm
by ghill
Outside François moves carefully through the grass lifting a leaf here, moving a blade of grass there. He talks softly to himself cataloguing what he finds

Hoof marks, but small hooves, not a horse... perhaps a pony? But what would a pony, no a couple of ponies be doing in the garden of a wealthy merchant in the middle of Paris? No wait, there is a third set of tracks. Hmmm, is that a stone in the hoof mark or a different hoof, so perhaps a fourth. So.... to and from the window to the garden wall. But where then hmmm.

François continues with his search putting in even more effort in a bid to reveal more information

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Then we shall recover the plans," says Jacques. "I shall take charge of the investigation and keep the police out of it. I can always pull rank, which has its privileges. I may not be a general, but I can still drop the names of some of them if being a colonel does not suffice. General Gallieni would certainly have enough authority to arrange this. Is he one of those in the know?" He begins a methodical search of the room for any clues.
OOC,I'd like to use Evidence Collection and Forensics.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:54 am
by Overlord87
ghill,Do you make the Outdoorsman spend, then?

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:01 am
by ghill
KEEPER,Yep.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:08 pm
by ghill
François continues to carefully track whatever it was across the garden then straightens up and releases a stream of profanity "Nom de dieu, de putain, de merde de saloperie, de connard d'enculer" what twisted fool of a man puts hooves on his feet to hide his tracks. Not four bloody ponies, four bloody madmen, putting hooves on the soles of their shoes to hide their tracks
OOC:   Now François knows what he is looking for can he tell where the tracks lead? Can he track these murderous thieves!!  

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:24 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   The tracks on the ground lead from just under the window (that is not exactly ground level but about 3 meters high) to the wall enclosing the garden (the wall is about 3 meters high as well, and distant about 6 meters from the house in this point). Outside the wall there are the streets of the city centre, and you're unable to follow the tracks anymore.  

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:23 pm
by ghill
Audibly swearing under his breath François returns inside to detail to the others. everything he discovered about the tracks.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:03 pm
by Overlord87
ghill,One more thing I was forgetting: the tracks look 15-20 hours old.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:05 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc turns towards the Colonel (still covering his mouth): "Just name it Sir. The faster we get it done with, the better for us". He looks again at the body and adds "I hope..."

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:24 pm
by Overlord87
Jacques searches the body, without finding anything out of the ordinary (except for the missing head and all the bites, of course...). The wallet contains a sizable amount of money and a small piece of paper reporting: Sunflower Tea Room, Avenue de Saint James 17.

The library is more interesting: there is a wide selection of books, ranging from history to philosophy, but what catches your eye is a large number of books dealing with occult matters. Obviously, it would require something with a more in-depth knowledge of the matter to take any conclusion about them.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:32 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"I shall search the library if you would excuse me please Colonel Jacques - it may be better if I had some distance between myself and ... the unfortunate victim." Andre adds waving his hand in the general direction as he still fights to still his roiling stomach.

1 point of evidence collection

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:40 am
by Overlord87
Andrè is clearly more well-versed than Jacques in skimming through libraries and books, and quickly classifies the tomes. Most of the books are relatively common and uninteresting, but there's a vast selection of occult tomes as well, most of which dealing with death, death cults and afterlife. Some of the books are inscribed with notes and symbols, but you lack the specific knowledge required to understand them.

Meanwhile, Julien is examining the desk and the letters on it. "I think General Gallieni was present to our demonstration of a... prototype... of the weapon. He could perhaps be informed, but... we should keep as much as possible a low profile. We do not know if there's some conspiracy behind this theft... and who might be involved. If the german are behind this, then someone must have informed them, perhaps even someone from the general's own staff. If it's a business rival, on the other hand...", he then stops, as if suddenly thinking about something. "Madeleine... where's Madeleine?"

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm not sure," says Jacques, scratching his bald head. "Could they have taken her too, out the window? I hope not. Or...I hate to ask this, but did she know about the weapon? How much can she be trusted? There was something else odd about that window. It was not forced, but opened from the inside. Someone in this house seems to have been aiding the thieves, and her absence makes her my first suspect. You're right that we should limit General Gallieni's involvement, but we can still use his authority to place the gendarmes in charge of the investigation rather than the regular police. All that needs to be said is that it's a matter of national security."

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:54 am
by ghill
"May I ask how long the body has been there? The tracks outside the window are not fresh, they are nearly a day old"says François

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can I tell how long he's been dead?

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:58 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy,Well, you already know that the killing has most likely happened somewhere else. Plus, the body is cold. Medicine and a proper autopsy would be required to precisely determine the time of death, but it's safe to assume it can be located at least a few hours in the past.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"It will take an autopsy to determine the time of death," says Jacques, "but he's clearly been dead for hours, at least. He could have been left here at any time after he died. Are we absolutely sure this is Monsieur Dupont? The clothes and wallet may be his, but there remains the possibility that someone has kept him alive and deposited a different body here to make us think he's dead. Does he have any distinguishing scars or birthmarks? In any case, the address found in his wallet seems to be our best lead at the moment."

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:10 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc steps out of the room still covering his mouth with a small handkerchief and stumbles into the Library hoping to get away from the whole ordeal. He is nauseous but manages to point towards the books Andre is looking through and ask: "Are those relevant to our current predicament?"

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:39 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Jean-Luc enters the room somewhat unsteadily on his feet, his face ashen and asks about the relevance of the books Andre is perusing. Smiling ruefully Andre replies, "Hardly the evening anyone was hoping for I'm afraid. As to these books and their relevance, well some of them are a bit ... shall I say outre, but with the rise of spiritualism at the end of the last century with the likes of Madame Blatavsky, nothing too untoward I deem. That being said ...;" Andre nods towards a certain section of the bookcases before continuing; "... there seem to be a fair few texts that deal with cults associated with death and the afterlife. There are some markings on some of them but I'll be damned if I can recall having seen them before. Do you have any ideas Jean-Luc?"

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:13 pm
by krzyspmac

"Une collection formidable" says Jean-Luc as he looks at the books. His nausea finally subsides.
OOC:   Can I use `occult' here?  

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:45 pm
by krzyspmac

"Que magnifique! One could spend hours here" says Jean-Juc going through the books. "An old man might give his soul for some of those gems." he adds as he tries to get as much info as possible from the extensive collection. "An old man like me" he thinks to himself which fills him with sudden fear.

He opens one of the books with some handwritten notes on the margins. "Here - those remind me of La Rose-Croix, a type of freemasonry organization that supposedly uses arcane and ancient knowledge to obtain deep understanding of the spiritual plane and..." he pauses to look at André and then adds "I think it's safe to say that the owner of this collection have a morbid interest in the occult." as he closes the book.

"One could spend hours here..."

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:40 pm
by Overlord87

"Jesus Christ... Sebastien and his love for occult stuff. I told him to stay away from... those people", Julien sounds clearly annoyed. "I'll go look for Madeleine, she should be able to identify beyond doubt if this is Sebastien's body... or not. I think the police will be here soon, as well. I'll ask for your cooperation, Colonel".

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:15 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Sebastien ..." Andre calls before his friend leaves the room, "... Do you think this terrible terrible occurrence could be connected to this masonic group, this Rose-Croix that Jean-Luc refers to. And how can they be contacted or called to account if they were somehow connected."

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"You have it," Jacques assures Julien. "When the police arrive, I'll tell them that the gendarmerie has taken charge of the investigation for reasons of national security. If they object, I can tell them to take it up with General Gallieni. If you do find Madeleine, I'd very much like to ask her some questions myself." He has his doubts about whether she will be found, and further doubts about whether she can be trusted, "I had a conversation earlier with Monsieur Bissette. He had told me, among other things, about rumors that Monsieur Dupont was a Freemason. It seems those rumors may be true. He warned me of the dangers they pose, and he may very well have a point."

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:37 pm
by Overlord87
Cearlan wrote: "Sebastien ..." Andre calls before his friend leaves the room, "... Do you think this terrible terrible occurrence could be connected to this masonic group, this Rose-Croix that Jean-Luc refers to. And how can they be contacted or called to account if they were somehow connected."

"At this point, we cannot exclude anything. I would surely like to avoid dealing with a society of occult freaks, but I guess better them than the Germans... I don't know how we could get in touch with them, but perhaps you might have heard something at one of those seances and paranormal shows we sometimes happen to participate to, Jean-Luc?"
Jean-Luc,You don't personally know any of these freemasons, particularly because it's hard to know for sure if someone is a freemason or not, unless you're part of their society yourself. But you do remember hearing something about a fortuneteller and tarot reader living in Montmartre, a certain [b]Marcel Helmut[/b], that is supposed to be an important member of the organization. It might be true or just another rumor, but it's the best you can come up with.

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:12 pm
by krzyspmac

"Well" says Jean-Luc "it would be extremely hard to pin-point anyone as a Freemason due to their clandestine nature. I can only forward rumors that sometimes come my way. Frankly... " he adds with a bit of shame "I only know one name, a certain Marcel Helmut, that is a very renowned fortune teller. Some say he's a part of some occult organization, but that may be just a rumor started by him. That is, unfortunately, the extent of my knowledge."

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Freemasons have secret ways to identify each other, from what I've heard," says Jacques. "Special handshakes and gestures. I don't know what they are, and even if we knew a Mason, he would never divulge their secrets. We also have another lead: the Sunflower Tea Rooms. I found that address in the dead man's wallet. It might be worth researching that building before actually going there. We need to find out who owns the property, maybe find the floor plans. All of this should be in public records."

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Perhaps it would be an idea Colonel Jacques to take a walk past these tea rooms, to get a feel for the area if you see what I mean. Also Jean-Luc, do you know how to find out the whereabouts of this Marcel Helmut?
OOC:   Does anyone have any idea about the area the tea rooms is situated in? something like a Know roll perhaps?  

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:59 pm
by ghill
Standing in the doorway François eyes each of his companions in turn "No one here is likely to admit they are a mason, but if they were, perhaps they can make some discreet enquiries"

OOC:   Wierdly enough we're all probably suitable candidates for the French masons.  

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:52 pm
by Overlord87
Jean-Luc,The fortune teller lives and "works" in Montmartre. You are confident you can find him once you get there.
The Tea House,The card reports both the name and the address of the tea house, Avenue de Saint James 17. It's not far from here, in the centre of Paris, a rich area of the city.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:24 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc thinks for a while and against his better judgment adds hesitantly "Montmartre is where I would start my search."
OOC:   If anyone hasn't thought of me as a Freemason, this should seal it :D  

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Excellent," says Jacques. "We won't ask how you obtain any information you unearth. Strolling past the tea rooms and doing a little reconnaissance is an excellent idea as well, Andre."

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:57 pm
by Overlord87
More or less ten minutes later, the police is on site. Jacques takes the situation into his own hands and after some resistance, the police accepts to let the investigation pass on to the Gendarmerie. As somewhat expected, Madeleine is nowhere to be found in the house. The last one to see her was the house servant that found the body. She reported that Madeleine herself asked her to go check on Mr. Dupont in her room. No one saw her after that. Julien asks you to take care of the investigation while he handles the matter linked to the funeral and the economic affairs of Dupont's industries in this particularly critic moment.
OOC:   Ok, let's move things along. How do you want to proceed?  

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:26 pm
by Cearlan
OOC:   Where is the tea rooms in relation to the location of the mason? Either way I reckon we should head out past one to survey the lie of the land before going to the second location. Also what time is it now? This could influence our choices as well.  

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Yes, I'd like to know that too. If it's still early enough, we can reconnoiter the neighborhood around the Sunflower Tea Rooms. They may even still be open. I'd like to bring the note we found with the address with me.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:14 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   By the time the police leaves, it's well past midnight. It's unlikely a tea room would be open so late in the night. You might still check it out from the outside, if you wish.  

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:34 am
by Cearlan
OOC:   If the tea rooms are closer then this sounds like the best course of action.  

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:56 am
by ghill
It is always a good thing to have an idea of the lay of the land before you need to ride over it adds François "I'd be happy to finish this rather unhappy evening with a walk in the night air"

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:28 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"I could not agree more friend François, also given the lateness of the hour I dare say Monsieur Helmut may well be abed so perhaps a visitation later on today might be more apropos." Andre looks down thoughtfully before adding, "Though it may be as well to ... how you say "scout" the area around his lair out, after all "praemonitus, praemunitus", or forewarned is forearmed as they say."

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:12 pm
by krzyspmac

"This whole ordeal has certainly raised my blood pressure. I doubt I will sleep well tonight anyway! You seem to have more experience in the matter and I leave the decision-making to you gentlemen."

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"A brisk walk would suit me just fine as well," says Jacques. "Nobody should be around to spot us at this hour. If we do see anyone there, that should tell us something too."

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:40 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Not too brisk I hope friend Jacques" Andre says patting his lame leg. "Well as there seems little to do here I suggest we make our way ... assuming the police are done with us that is?"

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:02 pm
by ghill
Midnight in Paris, a perfect time for a slow promenade through the streets, we are certainly in no hurry adds François with a smile.
OOC:   Do we know where is the tea house located? Clearly some parts of town will be quieter than others, others less salubrious. In which case a drive by in a taxi cab might be more appropriate.  

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:29 pm
by Overlord87
The tea room is not far from Dupont's apartment, just a fifteen minutes walk in the cool air of a late summer's night. This area of the city is deadly quiet, and while the curfew was formally lifted after the first dramatic weeks of war - when the city was almost under siege - being found out at such a late hour in the streets by the police would certainly results in some unfriendly question being asked, and people these days already have plenty of problems.
Despite the pleasant weather, and the light of the stars, shining unhindered by artificial lights, there's something depressing in seeing your beloved city so devoid of life and lights. There's still an aura of desperation wrapped around the city like a mantle, and it's not getting any better. The occasional ruined building, destroyed by the bombings suffered by Paris in its darkest hour, surely doesn't help.
Finally you reach your destination, Avenue de Saint James. It's a small street, with nothing particular to catch your eye. The Sunflower Tea Room, too, is an unassuming little shop with a glass well decorated by paintings of a grass field with sunflowers. From the glass wall you can see, in the half-darkness inside, a few simplex wooden tables and chairs. At this hour, the shop seems closed.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's just take a quick walk around," suggests Jacques. "We should identify all the exits from the tea room and which buildings surround it, so that we can be prepared during the day. For all we know, it could be a nest of spies."

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:26 pm
by krzyspmac

"Anyone proficient enough in lock-picking to give it a try" says Jean-Luc with a smile on his face.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"I know my way around a lock," admits Jacques. "I wouldn't normally do this, but the fate of France is at stake." He examines the lock.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:16 pm
by Overlord87
Mr.Handy,The lock doesn't look exceedingly hard to pick, but you'd need some proper tools. You think you could easily force the door open, but it's possible someone would notice, and it would certainly be obvious to the shop owners in the morning.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"It would be easy if I had the appropriate tools," says Jacques. "Better not to force it, or they'll notice for certain in the morning. We should probably come by during the day and investigate then, 'casing the joint' in the process. Then, if necessary, we can return tomorrow night."

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:22 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Whilst Jacques is concentrating on the lock, Andre is having a good look around, in a surreptitious manner so as not to draw attention to himself or the rest of the group. He is also keeping an alert eye out for passers-by.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:59 pm
by ghill
François leaves the others walking around the block and getting the lay of the land just as he would if he was setting up for a shoot at the same time he keeps and eye out for more of the ridiculous pony tracks.

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Jacques also makes a circuit of the area to get a feel for it.

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:23 pm
by krzyspmac

Jean-Luc realizes he's the only one that is left standing near the street-lamp so he moves into the shadow and tries to look at the stars in the meantime.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:27 am
by Overlord87
The tea room is on a little side street, one that doesn't look likely to see much traffic in the day. This is a peculiar choice for a shop like this, suggesting that this place mostly sees regular clients that already know it. You are now in the second arrondissement, not one kilometer north of the Louvre, still a very central area of the city. While the true wealthy live a little more to the south, this is still an area for the higher middle class - lawyers, doctors and the like.
Spoiler:
OOC:   It is very likely that some of you might live in this arrondissement. If so, you didn't know this tea room up until now.  
The area is calm and quiet. These are people that respects the order and don't go looking for troubles. Except for the younger ones, the sons of these rich families - they might be further north, in the XVIII and IX arrondissement, where most of the night life takes place, even in wartime; or south, in the cafè of the Latin quartier. But they won't be home until dawn. For now, silence embraces the streets.
Francois,There are no pony-like traces to be found in the area.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:10 pm
by ghill
François shakes his head with a chuckle somewhat surprised at his own willingness to look for the strange sign he'd seen in the garden.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we've done all we can tonight," says Jacques. "We should return to our respective homes and get what sleep we can, for we'll need to be rested tomorrow. Where and when shall we meet?"

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:26 pm
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
"I have to agree Jacques, I would suggest that we meet back here first thing non? Then perhaps we could visit your friend Monsieur Helmut."

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:51 am
by ghill
Let us agree where we are to meet tomorrow and how we will approach this matter. I suggest we meet at the coffee house just up the street so we are unobserved. We should make sure we have a view of both the front and back of the place, or any escape routes, ideally from a natural vantage point where our presence will not be considered untoward, we don't want to spook our prey. Also if the boche are behind this we may want to bring weapons. says François

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:45 pm
by Overlord87
There's a back exit on Rue de la Sourdiere, another small street that runs parallel to Avenue de Saint James, where the main entrance is. You find another cafè along Rue de la Sordiere, about thirty meters away from the tea room's back exit, where one (or more) of you could sit and keep an eye on the place.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I agree," says Jacques. "I'll definitely bring my pistol, which is easy to conceal. My saber is not, but I could get away with it if I go in uniform. Soldiers in uniform are a common enough sight in Paris these days, though my rank may draw some unwanted attention. I can also bring a set of brass knuckles. It's been some time since I last engaged in fisticuffs, but I haven't forgotten how."

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:45 pm
by krzyspmac

"I'm afraid I have to little to bring into the fight other than a whistle" says Jean-Luc, and immediately regrets opening his mouth.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:30 pm
by ghill
You have as sharp a pair of eyes as any other, Monsier and it is our intellect is which sets up apart from the animals, bring your eyes and intellect tomorrow and you will come well equipped remarks François absently now keen for a nightcap and bed. Let us meet at the cafe tomorrow around mid morning and decide who will wait and watch where. But for now I need sleep, so I will be fresh tomorrow.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:36 am
by Cearlan
Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andre coughs whilst looking down at the ground. "When on an archaeological dig it is recommended that you carry a handgun at the very least ... and as a result I have a handgun which I shall endevour to bring tomorrow when we meet up once more."

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:04 am
by Overlord87
You agree to meet again the next morning, rested and armed (those of you that possess a weapon).

Continues here: The Tea Room