[IC - Scene 1] The Party

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Re: [IC - Scene 1] The Party

Post by Overlord87 »

Madeleine looks fascinated by Andre's story, almost morbidly so. "That is incredible, Monsieur Saint-Pasquet. I doubt even Edgar Allan Poe could have crafted a more intriguing tale of terror... and to think that it is real. Do you believe that the curse actually worked? Or it was just a series of unlikely coincidences?"
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Mr. Handy wrote:"Indeed, just so!" says Jacques, just as pleased to meet a kindred spirit. "The aeroplane will change warfare forever. I think the generals recognize that, but they don't yet see all of the ways in which it can be used. If I had stars on my shoulders, I could better make my suggestions heard. Well, I'm sure there will be opportunities to earn them before this war is over."

"Indeed. There are still too many German aircrafts in the sky, and I plan on bringing them all down". Renè smiles a fearsome smile, showing all the recklessness that comes with his young age. He then looks curiously around the room. "I was wondering... is Mister Dupont with us? I've never met our host, and I'm quite curious to make his acquaintance. I've heard many stories about him..."

Spoiler:
OOC:   Jacques has already met once with Sebastien Dupont, although quite briefly. He doesn't appear to be in the room at the moment, and he hasn't been since Jacques's arrival at the party.  
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
Andrè looks at Madeleine with wide eyes. "Ah Madame Madeleine; there is the rub non? I am a man of scientific grounding so such things as curses have no place in my philosophy ... however, it is hard to fully explain it away. Mayhap someone planted explosive devices upon the planes, that would certainly carry more weight with me than a load of superstitious nonsense like curses."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've only met Monsieur Dupont once previously," says Jacques, looking around the room. "I have not seen him yet this evening, and he is not currently present, but I think he will most likely put in an appearance and is merely fashionably late. What stories have you heard? I'd be interested to hear them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by ghill »

François hands his hat and coat to the doorman and looks around the room to see if he recognises any of those already present. He really dislikes these formal gathering and resents the fact that he has given up the opportunity to travel down to Corbières to join some friends with the local Chasse, but with travel curtailed because of the war he is finding getting out of the city more and more difficult. Catching sight of Julien he makes his way across the room.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

ghill wrote:François hands his hat and coat to the doorman and looks around the room to see if he recognises any of those already present. He really dislikes these formal gathering and resents the fact that he has given up the opportunity to travel down to Corbières to join some friends with the local Chasse, but with travel curtailed because of the war he is finding getting out of the city more and more difficult. Catching sight of Julien he makes his way across the room.

Image Image

Julien is standing in front of a large painting hung on the wall. It's a strange painting, you can't readily recognize the style but it seems contemporary rather than classic. It represents a huge tower atop a cliff, against a black and cloudy sky. The tower's walls are not straight, but instead curved, making you think that the tower is going to fall the next moment. There's a giant on the tower, howling towards the sky. There is nothing showing the scale of the humanoid on the tower, so it might actually be an human, but you're absolutely sure that it is, in fact, a giant. To complete the picture, a green lightning is falling from the sky, clearly directed towards the tower. It is, overall, an unsettling painting. Two more are hung next to this one, the subject similar at a glance: dark landscapes, strange figures, apocalyptic theme.

Julien is talking with another man, pointing towards the paintings, probably discussing about them. He smiles at you as he sees you. "Francois, I'm glad you could come tonight me. Let me tell you, some time spent in civilized Paris can only do you good, after all that time spent hunting in the wilderness. It's a surprise you could come properly dressed, I half expected you to be covered in furs and leather". He laughs and shakes your hand warmly, then adds: "Allow me to introduce you Monsieur Adolphe Bissette, professor of mathematics at the Sorbonne University".
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Mr. Handy wrote: "I've only met Monsieur Dupont once previously," says Jacques, looking around the room. "I have not seen him yet this evening, and he is not currently present, but I think he will most likely put in an appearance and is merely fashionably late. What stories have you heard? I'd be interested to hear them."

Renè lowers his voice: "Well, you know, they say he is a self-made man, and now he's one of the most powerful and rich men in France. Most of these tales are simply about his financial genius and his daring in business... and love". He strikes a quick look at Madeleine across the room. "But there are other stories as well. Darker stories. Slander, most of the times. For some people, he got money from Germany and now works as a double agent. Not likely, if you ask me, considering that he provides weapons for half our armed forces. Other stories say that he signed a pact with the devil. But the ones that are most common... probably because they're more believable... say that he is a Mason. Possibly even a member of occult societies. That this... underworld... helped him reach the position he holds right now".
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Cearlan wrote: Andrè looks at Madeleine with wide eyes. "Ah Madame Madeleine; there is the rub non? I am a man of scientific grounding so such things as curses have no place in my philosophy ... however, it is hard to fully explain it away. Mayhap someone planted explosive devices upon the planes, that would certainly carry more weight with me than a load of superstitious nonsense like curses."

"Mmhh, a rationalist, then. I see. What about you, Monsieur?", Madeleine turns towards Jean-Luc. "Do you believe in things that cannot be explained with science? Curses, magic, ghosts and such?"
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by krzyspmac »

"As a man of science I consider rational approach to be sacred Madame. Scientific replication, measurements. Before I start accepting a particular phenomena as real said phenomena must pass all the scientific method testing the scientific community can come up with. So I should say no..." says Jean-Luc.

" I do however spend considerable time in solitude observing the magnificent structures of the galaxy. The enormity of it all makes a man feel quite small. And sometimes, I must admit, I wonder what marvels might the universe come up with, besides us of course" he says with a small smile.

"It may be just old age speaking though".
Just a cultist.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Ah Monsieur, a kindred spirit! There is one proviso I feel I must add though and that is that I doubt that Mankind ... and women too of course" Andrè adds with a nod towards Madeleine, "... has reached the full extent of their understanding of sciences. Why just look at the advances we have made in the last fifty years or so, would they not have seemed like some kind of magic to our forebears?"
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ah, now that I have not heard,' says Jacques. "He may be a Mason, but I do not know. Being one no doubt does help one climb the ladder faster, as they look out for and elevate each other. Were I one myself, I could try their secret handshake on him, but I never joined them. Otherwise, I probably would be a general by now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Smiling at Julien Francois then turns and drops his head to Bissette in acknowledgement. "Monsieur Bissette, a pleasure. François Du Monte. I myself despite the Julien's allusion to my love of the Chasse, am professor of languages at Collège d'Harcourt." (also one of the Sorbonne Colleges). Then looking at the picture hanging above them. "It is quite disturbing is it not? I cannot say it is to my taste. I'm more one for Lucien Griveau, nice gentle landscapes"
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Mr. Handy wrote: "Ah, now that I have not heard,' says Jacques. "He may be a Mason, but I do not know. Being one no doubt does help one climb the ladder faster, as they look out for and elevate each other. Were I one myself, I could try their secret handshake on him, but I never joined them. Otherwise, I probably would be a general by now."

"Don't joke about this, Colonel. I wouldn't trust people like them. Moving in the shadows, afraid of their own actions..." Renè's words trail off as his gaze fixes on a young woman entering the room, a pretty brunette in a light green dress. "I'm sorry, Colonel. The lady I was waiting for just arrived, and I have to go greet her. I'm sure you understand..."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

ghill wrote:Smiling at Julien Francois then turns and drops his head to Bissette in acknowledgement. "Monsieur Bissette, a pleasure. François Du Monte. I myself despite the Julien's allusion to my love of the Chasse, am professor of languages at Collège d'Harcourt." (also one of the Sorbonne Colleges). Then looking at the picture hanging above them. "It is quite disturbing is it not? I cannot say it is to my taste. I'm more one for Lucien Griveau, nice gentle landscapes"

Image Image

Adolphe shakes your hand weakly. His hands are slightly wet. "The pleasure is mine, monsieur Du Monte. I wholeheartedly agree with you, these paintings are quite... inappropriate. I didn't know Monsieur Dupont had such bad taste".

Julien sighs noticeably. "I have to concur. My friend's taste in art seems to have changed quite drastically in the last few months... and these are the results. Very unfortunate. He says this will be the art of the future... but I doubt it. Or rather, I hope he's wrong". He stares thoughtfully at the painting, a troubled expression on his face.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I understand indeed," says Jacques with a smile and a wink. "She is very lovely. I wish you luck." He had met his wife Marie at a party, and from that seed a lifetime of happiness and a large extended family had grown. He hopes the young man will have a similar outcome with the lady.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Overlord87 wrote:Adolphe shakes your hand weakly. His hands are slightly wet. "The pleasure is mine, monsieur Du Monte. I wholeheartedly agree with you, these paintings are quite... inappropriate. I didn't know Monsieur Dupont had such bad taste".
Julien sighs noticeably. "I have to concur. My friend's taste in art seems to have changed quite drastically in the last few months... and these are the results. Very unfortunate. He says this will be the art of the future... but I doubt it. Or rather, I hope he's wrong". He stares thoughtfully at the painting, a troubled expression on his face.
Francois winces at the man's damp grip, but quickly hides it with a smile. Turning to Julien.Your friend's change of taste wouldn't have coincided with the arrival of Madame Madeleine would it? Not the first man to have his mind changed by the swing of a woman's hips.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Cearlan wrote: "Ah Monsieur, a kindred spirit! There is one proviso I feel I must add though and that is that I doubt that Mankind ... and women too of course" Andrè adds with a nod towards Madeleine, "... has reached the full extent of their understanding of sciences. Why just look at the advances we have made in the last fifty years or so, would they not have seemed like some kind of magic to our forebears?"

Madeleine smiles and says. "Perhaps, fifty years from now, we will really fly to the moon, then." She looks around the room for a few seconds. "I am quite used by now to Sebastien's late arrival at his own parties, but I think he might be exaggerating a little tonight. If you'll excuse me, I think it's past time I go drag him out of his room. He's been holed up there all day".
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Mr. Handy wrote: "I understand indeed," says Jacques with a smile and a wink. "She is very lovely. I wish you luck." He had met his wife Marie at a party, and from that seed a lifetime of happiness and a large extended family had grown. He hopes the young man will have a similar outcome with the lady.

Renè shakes the Colonel's hand one last time, then heads out towards the young lady that just entered the room. Jacques looks around the room and sees Julien talking with two people near the paintings - one of the two is the middle-aged man that was involved in the earlier accident with Renè. On the other side of the room, near the piano, Andre and Jean-Luc are still standing near the piano. Madeleine seems to be headed towards one of the exits of the room.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

ghill wrote: Francois winces at the man's damp grip, but quickly hides it with a smile. Turning to Julien.Your friend's change of taste wouldn't have coincided with the arrival of Madame Madeleine would it? Not the first man to have his mind changed by the swing of a woman's hips.
Image Image

Julien frowns. "I wouldn't quite share your choice of language, but indeed, his taste in art changed after he... found... his new love. And not only that. Most certainly, Madame Morvan's entrance in my friend's life had... extraordinary effects." Julien shakes his head. "Women, as you say. But tell me, Francois, what about you? Are you, perchance, any closer to tieing the knot yourself?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jacques heads over to where Julien is talking to the two people, interested to meet them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Paris: City of Tears”