[IC - Scene 1] The Party

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

[IC - Scene 1] The Party

Post by Overlord87 »

After his villa and lands in the eastern France were lost to the advancing Germans, Sebastien Dupont has moved in his apartment in Paris, a beautiful, huge house in the 4th arrondissement, with view on Notre Dame de Paris. Here he lives, avoiding contact with the world as much as possible. It is in fact quite rare to see him in public, and even his business activities are more often than not delegated to Julien Faure. But despite his dislike for public appearances and social interaction, every month he holds a party in his house. Only the élite of the country is allowed to participate, including the most successful businessmen, military officers and politicians. Even the military governor of the city himself is said to have attended these parties in a couple of occasions.

As you enter in the room, you are met by the gentle light of a hundred candles. It is prohibited to light anything else at night, and even so, the shutters are closed to avoid any chance some light might be seen from outside. The candles give a strange atmosphere to the room, almost dreamlike. A piano is placed on a corner of the large room, with a beautiful woman intent on playing a soft melody. On a wall, four paintings are hung for display, strange things painted in a style quite different from the classical canons of art. You count around thirty people in the room, divided in half a dozen small groups, some gathered around the piano, some near the paintings, some others on the couches near the center of the room. A long rectangular table on one side features a vast selection of food, meat and fish and cheese, things you have rarely seen in the city since the beginning of the war. Truly, money can buy anything, even in a sieged city.

You are met by Julien Faure. "Welcome, my friend. How are you? Come, let me show you around, introduce you to some people".

Spoiler:
OOC:   Take some time to introduce your character, meet the other investigators and maybe some NPCs.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: [IC - Scene 1] The Party

Post by Mr. Handy »

Colonel Jacques Hebert enters, looking spiffy in his dress uniform. One thing he likes about it is that he never lacks something to wear to formal occasions and when mixing with the upper crust. Though he is in his mid-sixties, he is still in decent shape, in large part due to his faithful adherence to his regimen of exercise. He is tall and imposing, but with a friendly smile. "Good evening," he says, reaching out to shake Julien's hand with a strong grip. "I am well, all things considered." He can't help feeling a pang of guilt for being in such lavish surroundings when most Parisians have to make do with less, especially with the hardships of war. "Thank you, I'd be delighted."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Hello Julien, I am well enough, though my leg plays up on occasion." I say slapping my left leg. "How are you my old friend" I say shaking his hand warmly. Taking his elbows and leaning back I look him up and down. "You are looking very well and I am pleased to see that you have managed to grow your infernal moustache at long last," I add with a laugh on my lips, remembering that Julien always tried to grow a moustache, albeit unsuccessfully.

Knowing this would be a black tie affair, I dress appropriately, noting the decorated Gendarme who entered a few minutes before me as I waited to be announced by the liveried footman, though I didn't quite catch his name - no matter. I walk somewhat unsteadily on my lame foot, which has been playing up somewhat today, it must be the damp Parisiene air. Scanning the room I see about half a dozen faces that I recognie, though I am unable to put names to them. Sebastien Dupont is one face I cannot see.

"I do half-recognise one or two people here Julien, but the time I spent in the field means that I am not as au-fait with this fair cities movers and shakers as I used to be. Please lead on my friend," I say to Julein.
Last edited by Cearlan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Julien takes Andrè through the room towards the piano, where Jacques is standing, enraptured by the beautiful music. "Well, Andrè, my friend", he says while happily caressing his moustache, "you know it was always a matter of time. When a man reaches a certain age, he has no choice but to grow a refined, manly moustache like this. I'm sure you'll understand, in due time." A few seconds later, the woman finishes playing the piano, and stands up to receive the applause of the room, bowing lightly. "Ah, Madeleine,my dear, beautiful, beautiful playing. You truly are a bright star in these dark nights, shining hope on our anguished hearts".
The woman laughs, covering her mouth with a thin hand. "Oh, Julien, you're a flatterer. You could easily have half the women of Paris at your feet, with that quick tongue of yours", she says, with a hint of mischievousness, that Julien seems to ignore as he speaks again: "Allow me to introduce you to these two gentlemen. Here is Andre Saint-Pasquet, a friend from the happy times at the University and one of the most renowned young archaelogists of the country. The gendarme is one of our most highly honored guests tonight, Colonel Jacques Hebert, I'd dare say almost a living legend among the military. Gentlemen, I present you Madeleine Morvan, a woman who I believe requires no further introduction". Madeleine smiles amiably and offers you her hand.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Enchanté Madame Morvan," Andre says as he takes the musicians hand and bows formally over it. "I should compliment you on the excellent standard of your piano playing, though being totally unable to play a note myself, on any instrument, simply increases my respect for those able to do so. As for Julien being a flatterer, I can report to you that he was exactly the same at University."

Once Jacques has spoken to Madame Morvan, I turn to him and firmly shake his hand. "A genuine pleasure to meet you Sir, your fame precedes you."
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Enchanté," says Jacques, repeating the gesture over Madeleine's hand. "Monsieur Dupont is a very lucky man. You play magnificently!"

He turns when Andrè greets him and shakes his hand. "Thank you, Monsieur Saint-Pasquet, though no doubt tales of my valor have been exaggerated. Why, to hear them tell it, I single-handedly won the Franco-Prussian War, when in fact we lost. That won't happen this time. The boches will never again set foot in Paris so long as I draw breath. Still, we did give the Communards a good hiding." He fingers his own mustache. "Our friend Julien is right about growing a mustache when one is past a certain age. It gives a man a dignified appearance. On a woman, it just looks silly. You should seriously consider one for yourself. I was younger than you when I grew mine. It took me a while to realize what I needed, but then I saw that the answer was right under my nose." He chuckles a little at his own joke.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
I am a firm believer that first impressions count a lot, and I am impressed with the Gendarmes self depreciating demeanor. With a slight bow and wry smile on his lips Andre replies;

"Please Monsieur Colonel Herbert, please to call me Andre. Ah but when I last tried to grow a mustache, it made my face look as though someone had sprayed ink on my top lip, rather unevenly and too sparse for my taste, though admittedly that was some years ago. But we forget our manners, Mme Madeline. Which look do you prefer the look of a man with a mustache or a man without?" I stand between both Julien and Jacques so she may make the comparison easier.

"But I am flanked here by to fine mustachioed gentlemen so maybe the question is impertinent, or at the best unbalanced against me." I add with a smile on my lips as I look into the emerald depths of Madelaine's eyes.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Madeleine laughs: "My, my, Julien, look at the predicament you've put me into. Perhaps I should just cut your moustache, and we'd be done with the matter".

"Or perhaps", Julien replies, "Andrè should just grow his own and then we could judge the difference. Right, my friend? You should have plenty of time during your next expedition. Where do you plan on going this time? Africa? Middle East... or maybe South America?"
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by krzyspmac »

Jean-Luc Coté enters holding a hat in his hands. He's average size, a bit more chubby that he'd like to admit, although he never skips his exercises. Time has been kind to him and thus he's treating time as a goddess - never wastes it.

Today he dressed to impress. This suit is a bit tight but he's not going to show it. A couple of hours and just might get what he needs. A professor doesn't have lots of opportunities like this. The war takes everything, funding included and God knows his faculty could use a new telescope. Looking around the room he knows he's in the right place.

He puts up a smile and tries to find a friendly face in the, otherwise obscured, group of people.
Just a cultist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Monsieur Dupont has a mustache as well," says Jacques. "I believe that settles the question of the lady's preference, Andre. And you may call me Jacques."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Then I shall of course try and grow one starting tomorrow, though I fully expect to be ridiculed for my efforts, and as to the lady's preference - your logic is flawless Jacques. Would anyone care for some refreshments?" I ask as I see a waiter pass by.
(An assumption on my behalf - Overlord,feel free to alter this if this is not the case)
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"That's a good idea, Andre" says Julien in a cheerful tone of voice. He looks around the room for a second, holds his gaze briefly towards the entrance, then says: "Forgive me for a moment, there's one more guest I need to welcome right now". He smiles apologetically and leaves.

Julien welcomes Jean-Luc as he moves hesitantly into the room: "Good evening, my friend. It's a pleasure to meet you in a more... "normal", shall I say... environment than our usual meetings. How are you doing today?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, that would be great," says Jacques, looking to see what their host has provided for them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

Jean-Luc welcomes a friendly face with a relief. The last time he was ordered to "socialize" he almost had a nervous breakdown. "Ah Julien, wonderful to see you" he says and immediately notices that his palms are sweaty and tries to inconspicuously wipe them on his jacket. "Oh, you mean my observatory. Yes, I suppose I do spend perhaps too many solitary hours there. I will say this one for the war" he says looking around the room. "The blackouts are perfect for stargazing. I do not think the rest of the population share my perspective" he adds trying to get his bearings.
Just a cultist.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Julien keeps talking as he leads Jean-Luc towards the piano: "The food is very good, hard to come by anything this good in these days. I suggest the cheese, simply delicious. There are some paintings over there, strange things, modern art, can't really bring myself to understand it, to be honest. But here we are". The two men join the group: "Jean-Luc, let me introduce you to my friends Andrè and Colonel Jacques Hebert, along with the beautiful Madeleine Morvan". The woman smiles as she offers Jean-Luc her hand: "It's a pleasure to meet you, monsieur".
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

Jean-Luc strugles with the fought for a while but decides on a gentle shake. "Bon soir Mademoiselle. Delighted to meet you as well.". He nods to Andrè and Colonel Jacques Hebert adding "Gentlemen".
Just a cultist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good evening, Monsieur," says Jacques to Jean-Luc, extending his hand. "What is your profession, may I ask?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

Jean-Luc shakes his hand trying to match the force. "I'm afraid it's nothing spectacular" says Jean-Luc with in a typical professor-type voice and adds "I'm an astrophysicist".
Last edited by krzyspmac on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a cultist.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I wouldn't call that nothing spectacular," says Jacques, after shaking his hand vigorously. "It is a noble ambition to reach for the stars, and perhaps one day research in your field will make it literally possible. The twentieth century has many marvels and limitless possibilities. Consider the aeroplane. Earlier generations would have thought it impossible, but it is a fact of life now. In the future, someone may invent a vessel that can fly to the moon, like in that novel by Jules Verne."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by krzyspmac »

"I completely agree about the possibilities." adds Jean-Luc in a rather abrupt manner and immediately adds "In science even the smallest of discoveries might become important further down the road and we all would like to find our names in the annals of science." Takes a small pause to catch his breath and adds "It's just the work is not glamorous and the eventual prestige and glory might come late, or not come at all."
Just a cultist.

Return to “Paris: City of Tears”