[IC - Scene 1] The Party

September, 1915. On the western front, battle rages less than 100 km from Paris. Paris, the beautiful. Paris, the proud. Paris, a city on her knees. The government has fled the capital, seeking a safe haven in Bourdeaux. General Joseph Gallieni is now military governor of the city, and he faces a terrible task. There is not enough food for everyone. The city is dark at night, for fear of bombardments. Explosives and ammunitions are manufactured inside the city, sometimes resulting in terrible incidents that costs tens of lives. And this is just on the surface. Dark tales tell of monstrous, yet horribly human-like creatures, prowling through the battlefields and the graveyards, eating human flesh. Even darker tales revolve around a mysterious and incredibly powerful tome of ancient, dark magic; a tome that could destroy the balance of power between the Germans and the Franco-British coalition.
And yet, even among all this despair, human nature finds his hope. Hundreds of people arrive in the city every day: soldiers, journalists, thrill-seekers. Each one injects fresh energy into the agonizing city. Entertainment is the only thing that is not rationed - music halls, theaters and the Moulin Rouge are shining beacons of light, metaphorically if not physically. New forms of art cry out as newborn children.

Semptermber, 1915. Paris, the city of tears. A mysterious murder sets in motion a chain of events that, unknowingly to the rest of the world, will decide the outcome of the war. Millions of lives are at stake. There will be no glory for the unsung heroes, no recognition for the martyrs. A terrible power awaits those willing to use it - or seal it. What will you do? How far are you willing to go for your friends, your loved ones, your country?

Moderator: Overlord87

ghill
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: [IC - Scene 1] The Party

Post by ghill »

Overlord87 wrote:Julien frowns. "I wouldn't quite share your choice of language, ...... But tell me, François, what about you? Are you, perchance, any closer to tieing the knot yourself?"
François, bursts out in laughter. "À chaque fou plaît sa marotte, Julien. Find me a woman of refinement and culture who will forgive me for all the time I spend with the Chasse, or better still loves the Chasse as I do. Then I swear I'll be down on one knee faster than you can say hello"

OOC:   À chaque fou plaît sa marotte - Every fool is pleased with his own folly: François knows his dedication to hunting makes him socially a bit of an oddball and a poor marriage prospect, but enjoys his hobby to much to change.  
krzyspmac
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by krzyspmac »

"Ah oui" says Jean-Luc towards Andre. "We have made much progress. Although I'm afraid though that our contributions are more than often used to... " - he looks about the room and says "wage war".

"Have you met our illustrious host before Monsieur?"
Just a cultist.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Overlord87 »

ghill wrote: François, bursts out in laughter. "À chaque fou plaît sa marotte, Julien. Find me a woman of refinement and culture who will forgive me for all the time I spend with the Chasse, or better still loves the Chasse as I do. Then I swear I'll be down on one knee faster than you can say hello"
Image Image

"Well, my friend, if I ever happen to find a band of amazons riding through Paris with their bows and arrows and swords shining under the sunlight, I'll be sure to let you know", Julien answers you laughing. He then notices the Colonel approaching. "But here's someone that I'm sure can talk some sense into you. Colonel Hebert, allow me to introduce you Monsieur Adolphe Bissette and Monsieur Francois Du Monte".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Pleased to meet you, gentlemen," says Jacques, extending his hand. "What is this about amazons?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

François en vacance in Italy 1912

"I think Julienne was inferring a bit unkindly I might add, that the only women in Paris who might consider marrying me, would be Amazon's from Greek myth. I feel there are probably not many in Paris at the moment so congratulations on my engagement are probably premature" says François taking the Colonel's hand with a nod.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Would that there were Amazons in Paris," says Jacques, shaking his hand. "Their help would be welcome against the Germans. However, do not sell yourself short. There are plenty of eligible ladies in Paris, and with so many young men away at the front, there will be less competition. Now is the ideal time, Monsieur."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
"Not him self directly..." Andre responds, "... though I did spend a few years with his personal secretary at Rennes University where we were both graduates. I do believe my father knew him though. But as for war, I am afraid that is a constant that we are plagued with, I cannot recall a span of fifty years where there has not been conflict of one kind or another on our planet."
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Adolphe shakes the Colonel's hand. His handshake, weak and slightly wet, is particularly disturbing to a stern man like Jacques. "Pleased to meet you Colonel. Ehrm... ehrm....", he seems willing to say something, but as the conversation progresses with the friendly banter about marriages and amazons, he falls silent and slowly fades into the background. He then walks away, heading towards the buffet.

Spoiler:
OOC:   A 1-point Medicine, Interrogation, Streetwise or Assess Honesty spend is available here, for the Colonel or for Francois. It's a lot of abilities, but all of them makes sense here, so just pick one if you want to make the spend :D  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'll spend Streetwise.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

In a clear demonstration of why François' will never be described as a "people person" he is oblivious to the Adolphe's exit from the conversation.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What a curious fellow," muses Jacques. "Hmm...I wonder what he knows that he's not saying. Well, I think I can get him to open up." He follows Adolphe to the buffet, ostensibly to fill his own plate. He stands next to him as he does so. "We meet again, Monsieur Bissette," he says to him. "I recall having seen you a bit earlier this evening. You almost received a thrashing, but fortunately I was able to defuse the situation."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Julien looks a little surprised as Adolphe first and Jacques later leave the group and move towards the buffet table. "Well, I supposed they were very hungry... or maybe, Francois, it's your charming presence that has such... unpredictable effects." He bursts our laughing. "Well, luckily, we're in no short supply of company".

Julien walks with you through the room, introducing you half a dozen people you shake hands with, and then forget everything about. Finally you reach a large piano placed in one corner of the room, where two men are standing, far from the crowd. "Oh, here's my friend Andre Saint-Pasquet. We two go way back... We studied together at the university, in Rennes. Then, unlike me and you, he went on to become a respectable member of society... he is an archaeologist, and quite the brilliant one, I should say. This one here is Jean-Luce Cotè, none less than an astrophysicist. He'll make you feel dumb in no time if you allow him to talk for more than a couple of seconds about his work. Gentlemen, my friend here is Francois Du Monte, a professor... you are still a professor, right? They have not fired you yet?"
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

"What a curious fellow," muses Jacques. "Hmm...I wonder what he knows that he's not saying. Well, I think I can get him to open up." He follows Adolphe to the buffet, ostensibly to fill his own plate. He stands next to him as he does so. "We meet again, Monsieur Bissette," he says to him. "I recall having seen you a bit earlier this evening. You almost received a thrashing, but fortunately I was able to defuse the situation."
You notice Adolphe is extremely pale, breathing fast, shallow breaths. He is supporting himself with the table, and seems to be still standing only thanks to that. "Colonel... forgive me...", he tries to regain control, bring back his breathing under control. After a few seconds, he seems to succeed. "I'm sorry... I'm very sorry... it's just... you made me remember someone... a gendarme, like you... and I thought that maybe you could help me... but I'm probably wrong... I'm sorry... give me a few seconds..." He falls silent, closes his eyes, wiping away the sweat from his face.
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

François gives Julienne a gentle push. Then turning to the others "Gentlement, you must forgive Julienne, he simply doesn't understand the educational establishment. Julienne while that old fool Durand prefers long lunches and sleepy afternoons over marking, my job is totally secure" says François holding out his hand to each man in turn. "I'm delighted to make your acquaintance....I suppose neither of you hunt do you?"
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 2 months

Post by Cearlan »

Andre Saint-Pasquet
I extend my hand and grasp Francois' hand warmly. "Please to call me Andre. Whilst my family has some forested grounds round our humble abode I'm afraid that my left leg prevents me from partaking of the pleasures of the hunt, though I was told by my late brother that it was quite exhilarating. He was always the more active of the two of us. you understand. Well sir, it has to be said that you have us both at a slight disadvantage, as you know our occupations, what, if I may be so impertinent, is it that you do?"
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course I can help you," says Jacques. "It is my duty as a gendarme, and one I carry out gladly. Take your time, tell me your problem, and I'll see what I can do for you."
OOC,Using Reassurance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
ghill
Keeper
Keeper

Post by ghill »

Cearlan wrote: "Please to call me Andre. Whilst my family has some forested grounds round our humble abode I'm afraid that my leg prevents me from partaking of the pleasures of the hunt, though I was told by my late brother that it was quite exhilarating. He was always the more active of the two of us. you understand. Well sir, it has to be said that you have us both at a slight disadvantage, as you know our occupations, what, if I may be so impertinent, is it that you do?"
My apologies Gentlemen, Sometimes I would forget my own head. Says Francois with a grin. I teach languages at the Sorbonne. I cannot say it is not my calling, but I seem to have a natural talent for languages if not for teaching. We have a very good Archaeology department at the Sorbonne, or at least so I'm told. Astrophysics, however is that not simply astronomy. More importantly how do two such well educated gentlemen come to keep the company of such a rogue as Julienne or are you friends of Mr Du Pont?
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Mr. Handy wrote: "Of course I can help you," says Jacques. "It is my duty as a gendarme, and one I carry out gladly. Take your time, tell me your problem, and I'll see what I can do for you."

Adolphe looks uncertain for a few seconds, then says. "A dear friend of mine... his name was Christophe Duchamps... he was a gendarme, sent to the front in the most critical days of the last few months... I'm sure you remember as well, those days..." Adolphe closes his eyes and breathes, slowly, then continues: "He lost a leg... a German grenade... nothing could be done. He committed suicide a few weeks later... couldn't bear the pain... and I think... more that that... the disability. I went to his funeral... five days ago." He looks around nervously, then starts speaking fast, as a wave of water erupting from a collapsed dam. No more pauses, no more hesitations. As if unloading a heavy weight from his conscience. "But I saw him Colonel two days ago I'm sure I saw him I'm not crazy it was him I'm sure I saw him and he had only one leg and I'm sure he was him how could it be Colonel". He takes one more deep breath and leans on to the wall, the face even paler than before. "I went to his funeral Colonel, I saw his body in the coffin and he was dead, then I saw him walking through the streets... I was there, frozen solid... watching him... and he left on a military vehicle... and then I lost him".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think you're going mad," says Jacques. "There must be a rational explanation for what you saw. Christophe Duchamps sounds like he was a good man, and I'm sorry I never had the chance to meet him. Did he have a brother by any chance? Perhaps that was who you saw. If he did, of course his brother would be in the Army too, and it's quite possible that he also lost a leg. It happens all too often. He may have looked much the same."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I don't think you're going mad," says Jacques. "There must be a rational explanation for what you saw. Christophe Duchamps sounds like he was a good man, and I'm sorry I never had the chance to meet him. Did he have a brother by any chance? Perhaps that was who you saw. If he did, of course his brother would be in the Army too, and it's quite possible that he also lost a leg. It happens all too often. He may have looked much the same."

Adolphe doesn't look convinced... but more than that, he looks exhausted. He nods weakly. "If you could look into that, Colonel, I'd be-"

And then a female scream cuts through the joyful atmosphere of the party.

Return to “Paris: City of Tears”