Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

First-timer Looking for a Game

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Hello all,

Though I'm not new to RPGs, I am definitely new to CoC and this message board. However , I am incredibly excited I found it and would love to enter a Lovecraftian world of horror.

Are there any games willing to take on a newbie?

I have not created a character but have the CRB and can get that hammered out quickly. Do I have to read much more outside of character creation for the first session/post?

If anone is interested, please let me know. I'm willing to play any time period as I love the historical aspect of this game.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: First-timer Looking for a Game

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Steveoknox24! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game board. I received your PM expressing interest in my upcoming game, The Horror in the Blackout, which is set in London in September 1940. I'd be glad to have you join! The game has not yet started, and won't for a little while yet, so you have time to create a character. You can find the board here. Not much initial reading is required. The Character Creation/Rules thread is where you'll find instructions on how to create your character, and you can create it and ask any questions you have there. The Timeline thread has recent events, and you may also read the Introduction (though it is optional) and post in the Out of Character chat thread (The Zero Room). The Character Sheets thread shows completed character sheets that I've posted. Welcome aboard, and have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Welcome, I'm currently recruiting for my new game here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5981

I'm not entirely sure this might be the best entry game for a newcomer, but if you like the setting, it might be worth a try. In case you are interested and/or have any questions, let me know ;)
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

Thank you guys so much! This is awesome. Looks like I have some homework tonight.

Mr. Handy, is there a supplement for the 1940s setting? Or is it the same rules as the base game?

Overlord, I'll definitely check it out and let you know what I think. What do you mean by this might be a difficult game for a newcomer? Is that a lore thing? In which case I'm a book nerd so I'll be able to handle that part. If it's complex, then you may be right. I'll check it. When does yours start?
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Steveoknox24 wrote: Overlord, I'll definitely check it out and let you know what I think. What do you mean by this might be a difficult game for a newcomer? Is that a lore thing? In which case I'm a book nerd so I'll be able to handle that part. If it's complex, then you may be right. I'll check it. When does yours start?
Well, three points:
1) I'm mixing up rules from different sources, although players would need only the CoC 6th rulebook.
2) It's a long campaign, that in terms of play by forum might take several years to complete. No one is forced to stick until the end, of course, but it might be daunting for a newcomer.
3) It's a military campaign, very pulp, definitely not your "average" Cthulhu campaign.

Nothing that would prevent you from jumping in, obviously, just some points to consider.

We are starting character creation, probably going to start playing in a couple of weeks.
Steveoknox24
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Steveoknox24 »

That sounds awesome, actually. The military aspect is the only thing I may need help on. Are you guys creating characters together?
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Steveoknox24 wrote:That sounds awesome, actually. The military aspect is the only thing I may need help on. Are you guys creating characters together?
Yes, you can check out here to begin: viewforum.php?f=409

If you have any answer, feel free to write there.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome. I'm only using the core 6th edition rules for my game, with some minor additions from the first chapter of an unpublished monograph written by Laraqua that I read and gave feedback for years ago. Achtung! Cthulhu does have variants of the core rules and a WWII setting, but at most I'll use background information from it for myself, and the players don't need to have it. World War Cthulhu: The Darkest Hour is another WWII supplement, which I also possess, though again I'll only be mining it for information.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Players Looking For Games”