Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Newbie looking for an intro game....

Post by RhinoRat »

Greetings.

I just joined this board after searching for an online game and liking what I saw here, and I am looking forward to diving into the realm of CoC.

I have played "play by post" games before, but it has been a while so it might take me a bit to get the hang of things. Likewise, I have read an old edition of Call of Cthulhu (I can't find it right now, and I don't remember which edition it was) and spent many hours making characters, but never had friends interested in giving it a shot so I haven't actually played before.

I am a fan of shows like Murdoch Mysteries and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, and playing in those eras sounds like a lot of fun, especially adding the Cthulhu Mythos on top. I did download the quick start rules, and I will be putting 7th ed CoC on my "to purchase" list.

I know that not knowing the board and not actually knowing the system don't make me the ideal player, but I am hoping someone will give me a shot. I will check out the "Existing Games Looking for Players" and "..."I'm Thinking of Running a Game", but I want to make sure I get into a group where the Keeper and other players will be understanding of a "newbie". Thanks!
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: Newbie looking for an intro game....

Post by Overlord87 »

Hello, and welcome ;)

I might be needing to recruit one player for my Eternal Lies game in the near future, since one of the players has not logged into the forum for almost a month now. I will wait until the end of the current chapter of the game for him to return, if he doesn't, there is a spot open you might fill.

Pros
+ This is a long and epic campaign and we've just started (well, just is still something like six months, but relatively speaking we have not even finshed the first act of the campaign - play by post is a loooong business), so you don't have much to read to get up to speed
+ I am fine with newbies, actually more than half the starting players were newbies when they started. The only thing I care about are people putting an effort into the game and roleplaying :D

Cons
- As I've said, this is a long campaign. I'm currently estimating about three more years to finish it, but it's possibly an optimistic estimate on my side. Nobody is forced to stick through until the end, obviously, but as a first experience it might be a little daunting.
- The game system is Trail of Cthulhu and not Call of Cthulhu. It is extremely simple, though, so you should have no problem (quickstart rules here: http://site.pelgranepress.com/trail/fil ... _Rules.pdf).

This is a link to the game: viewforum.php?f=352 You can look around and start reading the IC threads. If the lost player does not reappear, and you like the idea of joining, you're welcome ;)
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Laraqua »

We have a 1940 Britain Game (start of World War II) set in a small railway station that may be of interest to you.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5716
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Thank you both for your replies, I am definitely interested in both opportunities.
I apologize for the delay in responding, I have been reading through some of the games on the site and lost track of time. :P

Overlord87, let me read through the Trail of Cthulhu quick-start rules to get some ideas, but if you could send any specific character generation rules or info for your game, I would appreciate it. Or would you be wanting me to replace the character that may have dropped out?

Laraqua, if you could also send any character generation rules/info for your game, I would also appreciate that.

Again, thank you both for replying.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, RhinoRat! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards. You'd be welcome to join either (or both) of my games. I can take on new players without a problem, but they may not be exactly what you're seeking.

I'm running a Cthulhu Invictus scenario called The Brotherhood of Death which is set in 44 BC Rome. It's still in the early stages, so it wouldn't be too hard to catch up on it. I could use someone to take over an abandoned character, or you could create a new character. This is the fourth scenario in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, but you don't need to know anything about Doctor Who or the first three adventures to play. If you do want to read the first three adventures, you can find them in the Hall of Fame via the links in my signature.

I've also recently brought back Zombie Apocalypse, a long-running game that stalled when all of the players stopped posting, after a lengthy hiatus. It's non-Mythos, but it uses the Call of Cthulhu rules and has its own similar mythology. It's set in the nebulous near future at the start of the zombie outbreak. It's survival horror rather than investigative horror. While a lot has happened, it's still early on the second day, so you could jump in without too much catching up (unless you take over characters who have been around for a long time). You can find the recruitment thread here, and the game itself is here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

It's Trail of Cthulhu. Character Generation information in the first post. If you like you could just create the character and I can assign some dots if you don't know the system. Basically if you have ranks in it, you can spend those ranks for juicy extras. If you have the skill at all, you can know basic Knowledge and open typical spoilers on the topic.

viewtopic.php?f=381&t=5718

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

RhinoRat wrote:Thank you both for your replies, I am definitely interested in both opportunities.
I apologize for the delay in responding, I have been reading through some of the games on the site and lost track of time. :P

Overlord87, let me read through the Trail of Cthulhu quick-start rules to get some ideas, but if you could send any specific character generation rules or info for your game, I would appreciate it. Or would you be wanting me to replace the character that may have dropped out?

Laraqua, if you could also send any character generation rules/info for your game, I would also appreciate that.

Again, thank you both for replying.

Mmmhh, there's no particular guideline for character creation for the game. You first start with a profession, then a drive, that is, the reason that moves your investigator and eventually keeps getting him into trouble. Then you decide investigative and general abilities. It's all really straightforward, and the condensed rules should contain anything you need. If you decide to join the game, you can create your own character, and I advise you do (it's always better than playing someone else's). In case, we'll talk about how to best introduce you.

Regarding the info for the game, start by reading the IC topic called The Hangar, that should give you a nice introduction. If you decide to play, you can then proceed to read the remaining IC threads (although I will update shotly the topic with NPCs and Clues, and reading that should be enough).
RhinoRat
Initiate
Initiate

Post by RhinoRat »

Mr. Handy, thank you for the info on your games. I think I am going to stick with the other two for now so I don't overextend myself.
The Cthulhu Invictus does sound interesting as I hadn't heard of that before, but right now I am more interested in a "classic" Cthulhu than the zombie apocalypse one.

In the mean time I will be feverishly working on some characters. If anyone has suggestions on how to best flesh out Trail of Cthulhu characters, I would appreciate them (maybe this is the wrong thread for that). And I don't mean "min/maxing" just the "whatever you do, don't [insert total newbie mistake]!!!!!"
:)

Thanks again for all the replies.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

You'll want typically only 1-4 points in most of the Academic, Interpersonal, Technical skills.

General skills are typically 5+.

My character generation also requires the answers to a few questions, and some basic equipment list, but you should be able to find that in the Character Generation thread. Things like ... current greatest dread, fear (i.e. phobia), looking forward to, why at Appledown Railway Station.

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Consider at least 8 points of Stability and Sanity, or you'll go crazy way too fast.

For now focus on the character for Laraqua's game, that is just starting. I'll contact you in 2-4 weeks, according to what happens in the game, and we'll discuss how to introduce you in the existing group :D
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Nah, low sanity but high stability. Never a shudder until you're mad....

Return to “Players Looking For Games”