Looking for any Call of Cthulhu game

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
cpaprox
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Looking for any Call of Cthulhu game

Post by cpaprox »

I'm new with actually playing with people and following the game rules 100.00%. Most of the time I just try solo-roleplaying and end up taking too much time creating a character. (Usually ends up high powered)

I have the 7th and 6th edition books and a whole assortment of scenarios and campaigns I just read from time to time to familiarize myself with how sessions usually go. It's been a while since I've read any of my books though and my memory of the rules is a bit fuzzy.

A campaign that allows access to the Dreamlands or has the Cthulhu Invictus setting would be awesome. All the better if it employs the Heroic Cthulhu rules. I love lots of lore and stuff to ponder about.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Looking for any Call of Cthulhu game

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, cpaprox! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards.I happen to be running a Cthulhu Invictus scenario, and you'd be welcome to join. It's called The Brotherhood of Death and is set in 44 BC Rome. It's still in the early stages, so it wouldn't be too hard to catch up on it. I could use someone to take over an abandoned character, or you could create a new character. This is the fourth scenario in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, but you don't need to know anyting about Doctor Who or the first three adevntures to play (unless you take over Lucius Verres, who has been in the campaign since the beginning). If you do want to read the first three adventures, you can find them in the Hall of Fame via the links in my signature.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
cpaprox
Layman
Layman

Post by cpaprox »

The role of Lucius Verres may have already been claimed by posters before me. Are there any other abandoned characters besides him?

I might end up just creating another character soon but I'll still try and read up the campaign so far.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The player who signed up to take over Lucius never started posting for him and hasn't posted in nearly a month, so he's available if you want him. You may also take over TItus Iunius Philo, whose new player hasn't posted in over two weeks, Decius Lupus (whose player hasn't posted in a month), Aricus Callidus Gladio (whose player hasn't posted for him in over a month), and Spurius Papirius Valens (whose player has been missing for nearly a month). Or you could make your own, but it will be easier if you take over an existing character.

You should only read In Character (IC) threads if your character is in them, with the singular exception of the Introduction thread, which everyone may read. Thus, if you create your own character, you won't need to catch up on the early parts of the adventure. If you take over a character, you should read that character's IC threads and no others. I can tell you which ones to read once you let me know your choice, and in which order. Also, each IC thread has a hyperlink at the end directing you to the next one for your character.

You can find the character sheets in the Character Creation/Rules thread, as I never found time to transfer them to the main Character Sheets thread, which holds Lucius's sheet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
cpaprox
Layman
Layman

Post by cpaprox »

May I see the character sheets of those abandoned characters you mentioned?

Also, the way I roleplay those characters might be a little off from how the guys who used to handle them did it. If ever I mess up or try to do/say something that refers to some of the Cthulhu Mythos without my character knowing about any of them yet then I apologize.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Here are links to each of the character sheets:
Lucius Verres
Titus Iunius Philo
Decius Lupus
Aricus Callidus Gladio
Spurius Papirius Valens (some additional modifications were made to the character in posts lower down on that page)

It shouldn't be a problem if you play the character a little differently. Most of them haven't been played much at all, except for Lucius.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
cpaprox
Layman
Layman

Post by cpaprox »

I pick the auger Titus lunius Philo. His ability to peer into the future sounds pretty useful and I wonder how he would react to a being such as Story. (If he hadn't done so already. I didn't read his part yet.)

Wish there was a way to improve his strength and dexterity without driving him insane or bald though. Maybe I could call Nodens and swear to hunt down the minions of Nyarlathotep with that Smite spell that he bestows at some point. That would be awesome.

I can already imagine the Bridge of Khazad-dûm Gandalf scene....
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great, welcome aboard! Having low stats isn't all that bad in Call of Cthulhu, as you're still often as capable as a high stat character. Titus has met Story, but he doesn't know much about him yet.

To catch up on what Titus has done thus far, you should read the following threads in order: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Walk Like an Egyptian, A Royal Audience, Plans and Schemes, No Tomorrow, and Preparations. After you've read all of those, you may post in character in the Preparations thread whenever you're ready. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
mindrot
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by mindrot »

Hi everyone! Decided not to create new topic, because it's name would be the same: Looking for any Call of Cthulhu game. I'm not very expierenced in it, though I know the system pretty good for playing.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, mindrot! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards. I'd be happy to have you join my games, and I'm fine with taking on new players.

I'm running a Cthulhu Invictus scenario called The Brotherhood of Death which is set in 44 BC Rome. It's still in the early stages, so it wouldn't be too hard to catch up on it. I could use someone to take over an abandoned character, or you could create a new character. This is the fourth scenario in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, but you don't need to know anything about Doctor Who or the first three adventures to play (unless you take over Lucius Verres, who has been in the campaign since the beginning). If you do want to read the first three adventures, you can find them in the Hall of Fame via the links in my signature.

I'm also hoping to bring back Zombie Apocalypse, a long-running game that stalled when all of the players stopped posting. It's non-Mythos, but it uses the Call of Cthulhu rules and has its own similar mythology. It's set in the nebulous near future at the start of the zombie outbreak. It's survival horror rather than investigative horror. I could resume where we left off. While a lot has happened, it's still early on the second day, so you could jump in without too much catching up (unless you take over characters who have been around for a long time). Or I could reboot the adventure and start over from the beginning. This is more work for me and would take more time, but it would have other advantages. You can find the recruitment thread here, and the game itself is here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
mindrot
Layman
Layman

Post by mindrot »

Great, I'll gladly join The Brotherhood of Death, taking over Lucius. Give me couple of days to read all threads you've written so far, and I'll start posting.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great, welcome aboard! You're only allowed to read In Character threads in that adventure if Lucius is in them, which will also cut down on the necessary reading. The only exception to this is the Introduction thread in Episode 1, which everyone may read. To catch up, you'll need to start by reading All Roads Lead to Rome, followed by A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Cold Pursuit, A Royal Audience, and Plans and Schemes in Episode 1. Then you'll need to read No Tomorrow, Preparations, and The Conspirators in Episode 2. You may post for Lucius in The Conspirators when you are ready. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
mindrot
Layman
Layman