Player ready to play

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
Mozy
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Player ready to play

Post by Mozy »

I am up to play a play by post game, I have knowledge of the system although things change, I am up to game. I think natural history or operate heavy machinery are going fun to try to slip into odd situations. Well I hope to get to play in a good game.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Player ready to play

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Moxy! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards. You'd be welcome to join my games, and I'm more than happy to take on new players. All of my games are well underway and only one is currently active. That one is The Shadow Over Dunwich, the third adventure in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, which is a UNIT adventure set in 1985 Dunwich, England. No knowledge of the first two adventures is needed to play, but you can read them in the Hall of Fame if you like. You don't even need to do any catching up if you join, as I can introduce a new UNIT character at this point. No knowledge of Doctor Who is required, and there's a thread detailing everything you need to know about UNIT. If you don't mind doing back reading, there are a couple of abandoned characters, and you could take over one. We're approaching the endgame, which will hopefully be completed within a few months. After that, I plan to start the fourth adventure, a Cthulhu Invictus scenario set in the late Roman Republic that I call The Brotherhood of Death. However, I doubt that will start until next year.

I also run Zombie Apocalypse, a modern near-future non-Mythos game, though with a similar mythology. However, only one of the players has posted since mid-August. There was also Space Oddity, based on Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes and set in 1969 Philadelphia, but that has been dead for several months, as all of the players have disappeared.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mozy
Layman
Layman

Post by Mozy »

It seems like a fun time, I really hope no players disappear during endgame. I might be interested in The Shadow over Dunwich. I do not think i am too into the Idea of abandoned characters after looking at how many hands some of them have gone through I worry they are just not there for the long haul.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Often, picking up an existing (but abandoned) character is the easiest way forward for the Keeper (though not necessarily the player). Abandoned characters tend to merge into the background after a while, the beleaguered Keeper often doesn't have the time to run them as a NPC for very long. An existing character does have advantages though - he or she will 'know' more about what is going on and have pre-existing (in story) relationships to work with and draw on. Getting hold of that information can be quite a task as the new player will have to go back overt the existing posts to 'catch up', this can seem like quite a task but can also be quite rewarding and give the new player a fresh perspective on what is happening. Posting frequencies in the game probably means that you have time to go back into the story, especially if you digest things in chunks.

I can fully understand not wanting to take over a 'old, abandoned' character, you may feel constrained by the way they were played before, they don't 'fit' with your character conception. While those may be valid points, no one in the game will actually mind or find it odd that the newly controlled character has a 'sea-change' personality wise. Please also remember that while a Keeper may want new players in the game actually inserting a new character into he game may prove difficult, especially once the game has been under-way for some time.

Have fun with whatever you decide!
Mozy
Layman
Layman

Post by Mozy »

As Seen in much of Call of cthulhu Finding a reason the characters are together is hard enough, an organization or threat to the life of people is a great segue for that reasoning but it does not explain why non combat people would enter places with a high threat level. In most views it could be said that they are experts in the field and have necessary knowledge but still that could be seen as putting an asset in harms way. Where as some CoC is simply explained by bad circumstances or the folly of human curiosity, or the threat came to you, it can be seen that although these circumstances can exist sometimes they just don't and the character just gets dragged in, especially when someone dies and the keeper uses a replacement from the existing crop of NPCs. Then again you can input characters through the coincidental "I am going the same Way." or the fact that they too are in the same boat or they show up in the nick of time not knowing you were even going to be there. Although the story in mention Shadows Over Dunwich does contain top secret elements it is not invisible to the paranoid spy filled world of 1985 with USSR and The US having hostilities. Also I have not seen much about Dunwich Being Quarantined or marked as if there was a bio-hazard. But If It would be too much work for the Keeper I can understand being a fill in but it is as easy for a person to say I can't take any more as it is for the character to die in a game of Cthulhu. Then again people also go insane or are institutionalized, institutionalized or retired for the time being are good for character storage though.(Sorry if the grammar is lacking, it just happens sometimes.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Players coming and going is part of play-by-post, and one of the ways we deal with it is to invite new players to take over the characters of players who have left so we don't have to run them as NPCs. You're free to either create your own character or take over an abandoned one, whichever you wish. If you want to join, you should play the character you want.

It is okay if you take over an abandoned character and he or she undergoes some personality changes. If you play Raymond MacIntyre, there would be a very valid in-game reason for this to happen.

New UNIT characters should probably be combat-oriented, or at least capable of supporting combat operations, precisely for the reasons you mentioned. The existing characters who were part of the initial investigation often had other roles, but the full extent of the danger was not yet known. They were sent in to investigate the disappearance of the missing Dr. Valerie Kirby. They will be going back in because they were there before and have knowledge of the area and the opposition.

As far as I know, Dunwich was not historically quarantined in 1985. However, as a secret organization, UNIT has the ability to keep such a thing under wraps. It has already covered up numerous attempted alien invasions in the Whoniverse.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Laraqua »

If you're interested, I have an ongoing campaign that is designed to deal with players disappearing. Aboard the Last Express before the war began (the last Orient Express, that is), new characters can still hop aboard being none the wiser for what has happened before and retired characters can get off at the next stop (or sometimes simply horribly die or disappear if I'm given permission). You can find out more on the Existing Games thread on viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4665
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/

Return to “Players Looking For Games”