Please invite me

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Please invite me

Post by Shroudeye »

Hello there! Looking to join a game of course. I have not played in a CoC game in a long time but am well qualified in the area of PBP and gaming in general. Please be so kind as to direct me to the nearest newbie game open for new players.

Thanks!
Dominic Pius, The Last Express

Raymond MacIntyre, The Shadow Over Dunwich

Daedalus Wickliff, The Aquitania

I don't want to see another cop or cookie in my life. I don't know which one makes me sicker
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Please invite me

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Shroudeye! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards.

You'd be welcome to join any or all of my games. While not specifically designed for newbies, I've had a number of new players join them over the years and am always willing to help out and answer questions.

My Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign is on its third adventure, The Shadow Over Dunwich, which is a UNIT adventure set in Dunwich, England in 1985. There's only one opening right now. The player of UNIT Technical Advisor Raymond MacIntyre hasn't been around for nearly two months, so you could take over his character, but it's a somewhat complex role. There shouldn't be too much catching up, as we're still fairly early in the game. No knowledge of the first two games is needed, but you can read them in the Hall of Fame if you like.

Zombie Apocalypse is a modern non-Mythos game, though it has its own similar mythology. It's been running for over seven years, but you could join in with little to no catching up, as we're still only on the second day of game time (a lot has been happening). You could take over existing characters or create your own.

Space Oddity is inspired by Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes and is set in 1969 Philadelphia. It's been running for well over four years, but you wouldn't need to catch up if you create a new character. You could also take over an existing character; the amount of back reading required varies depending on which one you want.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

I am running The Last Express (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4249) where you would create a character that could be anything from a spy to a cultist to a random person boarding the Orient Express in the days before World War 2.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

Thank you for the many offers! I would first have to ask which edition is being used by the majority of members? I only have access to the Call of Cthulhu Quickstart from Chaosium. Is there a current version available or is the Quickstart close enough?

I don't want to see another cop or cookie in my life. I don't know which one makes me sicker
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

You're welcome! Most of us (including me) use 6th edition, which is right now the latest, though 7th edition is in the works and expected to be released in the near future. However, I still plan to keep using 6th for my games. Even for those of us who use earlier editions, there is not that much difference between them and 6th.

The Quickstart rules are close enough for most purposes, but there are some key differences in character creation. In Quickstart, you are limited to a maximum of 75 for starting skills, but the rulebook has no such restriction. Also, the Quickstart rules shortchange you on skill points. New characters should get EDU x 20 occupational skill points and INT x 10 hobby skill points.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

Thank you for the helpful information. I think now I could create a character without much trouble.

Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

I am a bit stuck on which game to get involved with so I am just going to post up a backstory and see if it is useable in anyone's game. I will be adding more if needed. I do have drafts regarding the teen years through age of 36 and beyond.

Thanks!
Spoiler:
Police are searching for a couple after a seven-year-old rag-clad boy was found crying in the basement of a bug-infested home, where he had been forced to sleep in filth, chained to wall or stuffed in a wooden crate.
Endangerment and unlawful restraint charges were filed against Charles Lester, 31, and Lori Martindle, 26, from Pennsylvania (Pictured). The couples whereabouts are unknown and a manhunt has been ordered throughout the state. The relationship of the three is still unclear but Police officials are confident of their capture with reassurances of justice and much needed answers.

Court documents say the boy told officers he was sometimes bound with ropes and told ghosts inhabited the basement. The basement was nearly pitch black, illuminated only by whatever sunlight managed to get through the small covered window. In one corner, flies and ticks swarmed around a bowl full of red fluid, presumably blood. Mark Brightmore, city director of licensing, inspections and permits, said the home was infested with bugs and had electrical issues. "We condemned it (as) unsafe for human habitation", Mr. Brightmore said. "It was awful."

Police said the boy told them the couple put him in the home's basement often to punish him, and told him ghosts lived there. They would even 'pick up chains and drop them to scare him,' arrest papers said. The seven-year-old also told the police he was placed in a wooden box last week but was able to push it open, though admitted that sometimes Charles Lester would nail it shut. The boy, whom remains nameless to protect his identity, also showed signs of physical abuse, and possibly was involved with occult activities.

The victim now is in protective custody and "doing well considering his ordeal" , a Spokesman for the Northern Homestead for the Friendless, the orphanage caretaker named Abrim Crowell, stated in response to the public outcry regarding the youths' wellbeing.
Last edited by Shroudeye on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

He could easily fit into Space Oddity, which takes place in Philadelphia in 1969, considering that he's from Pennsylvania. Of course, you'd need to either make him rather old or change the dates. He could also be in Zombie Apocalypse if he happened to be in one of the two areas where new characters could be introduced at the time the zombies start rising (Omaha, Nebraska or Warren Air Force Base next to Cheyenne, Wyoming), though the dates would definitely need to be changed in that case.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

He could fit onboard the Orient Express game strangely enough, though he'd need to have come into money somehow.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

This is great news!

The backstory can be altered as needed and be inserted into any time-line and I see no real advantage to play an elderly character nor would it fit my play style. Clergyman/Professor would be more or less the type of character, specializing in languages, the occult/religion, and forensic anthropology or equivalent skill. These skill areas demonstrate, however subconsciously, his drive and thirst for knowledge regarding his past.

The backstory will also include an anonymous benefactor whom leaves a trust, part of the public outcry about the concern for the young boy, used for schooling and such. This benefactor may or may not be part of the mystery behind the boys troubled past, and this would be a story hook option for the Keeper. The amount of monies left in the trust would also have to be determined somehow for I do not know how to resolve this issue.

Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

Dominic Pius, Professor, Adventurer
Spoiler:
Whisked away in the dark of night, the young boy, age of 7, was placed on the "Orphan Train", a one-way journey to his destination. He would soon find himself staring at his own reflection at the carefully etched glass of the passenger car. He sat alone, for he had no companions once the 'State" decided he would be better off in the Northern Homestead for the Friendless, which was located somewhere in Boston, his new home for the rest of his childhood. He hated the train for it reminded him of being confined yet again in a wooden box. He had phobias now, of the dark and confined spaces. He also was withdrawn from people he happened to encounter at the station and on the very train as well. He had been told that this was the best for him, to get better and forget his tormentors. He was deathly afraid his abductors would come for him and bring with them the ghosts that threatened his innerself, his core was in terrible shape, one could say his sanity was frail due to his ordeal.
Years later, the young boy, now age of 12, had been given the option of choosing his own name, a name that would be his for the rest of his life. His joy was unseen though, and he meekly thanked his guardians and named himself Dominic Pius, in honor of the Pope whom died two short years later. Dominic was not very sociable and thus spent most of his time reading anything he could he his hands on. His studies broaded as he grew older and on his 17th birthday, decided to join the seminary, and also attend colledge if he only could get a grant for tution. Soon on the verge of his 18th birthday, yound Dominic recieved a letter from an annoynimous sender. The letter contained information about himself, all to prove that they sent the letter to the correct recipient. Contained within was a Birthday message, and information regarding a Trust that had been set up in his name. The trust was designed to purchase his schooling and any expenses he would otherwise occur while in school. There was no forwarding address, and none Dominic had asked could tell him whom brought this letter to the orphanage.
There was still something that bothered Dominic the most. He had noticed that a strange mark had become visible on his right shoulder blade. He had spied it one day after bathing that it had suddenly appeared. He could not remember it to be there from years ago nor had anyone up until this time made mention about any glaring blemished. It bothered him deeply, for it seemed to contain a message of some sort but he could not deciepher it. Strange runic like markings had surficed on his skin and grew darker as the days past. Was this some kind of infection or illness he wondered often and this caused some sleepless nights and uneasy afternoons. He contimplated the past, perhaps this had somethign to do with those terrible people that had tortured him and made him to do vulgar, ungodly things. He had not even told anyone about the strange rituals and words that were performed in his presence a few years ago, he was so very afraid and still in shock back then.
After many years of Seminary and attending colledge learning different languages, and all about other countries and the history of the world, and eventually becoming gainfully employed with the Archdiocese of Boston as a teacher, Dominic, now 36, had decided to leave his professorship to travel abroad and see exactly what he had been teaching about all those years. Seeing the wonders of the world and the humble begginings of the first church in Antioch was something he had long to do since his first year in Seminary and he thought how fortunate he had become even if his past only contained stained memories and made most of his life more bitter-sweet than joyous. He was determined to rid himself of his tarnished past and embrace his new life, one free from the horrors of foul smelling dark places and baths of blood. Boarding a train yet again did cause a small sensation of fear and hesitation, for he still did not like boxes or confined spaces and thus did not bring a steamer trunk of belongings with him. A train...

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

A ticket to some adventure:

The Aquitania
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

Posted interest and also sent you a PM sir. Thanks for the invite. I have been wanting to do something with a sea voyage for a good long time.

Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Guess what? You´re on board!

A life jacket will be provided. But surely that won´t be necessary.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Shroudeye
Initiate
Initiate

Post by Shroudeye »

ha! Going to sick all over the deck.

Return to “Players Looking For Games”