Looking for a standalone CoC scenario

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
Fearkeeper
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Looking for a standalone CoC scenario

Post by Fearkeeper »

Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums but certainly not to play-by-post or to Call of Cthulhu. I'm looking for a semi-casual game to start off with. By that I really just mean I don't want a long campaign of several linked scenarios. I just want a nice, standalone scenario. I'd also prefer the 1920s, although I'm sure I could be persuaded to play in any era from the late 1800s to the present day. I tend to play journalists or scientists focused on gathering evidence and publishing their findings. Thank you for your consideration.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Looking for a standalone CoC scenario

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Fearkeeper! I've validated you, so now you can post on the game boards.

You'd be welcome to join any or all of my games, though the only one that is truly standalone is Space Oddity, which is set in 1969 Philadelphia and is inspired by Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. A journalist or a scientist would fit in well there, and it is focused on investigation and weirdness. Zombie Apocalypse is effectively campaign-length, as it's been running for over seven years. While The Shadow Over Dunwich, which is set in 1985, is part of my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign, each scenario in that campaign stands on its own. All investigators except the Time Lord and his companions are local to the time and place where the adventure is set, so you'd most likely be playing a different character in the next scenario if you decided to play that too (unless you joined the TARDIS crew). There are themes and elements that link the scenarios, but you don't really need to worry about them.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

In a couple weeks time I'll be starting the Last Express which will last for a few years but which can be easily segmented into shorter parts. In fact, it's set up to do exactly that. As time advances at a set pace (fifteen minutes in-game per week), I can figure out a mini-adventure involving your character (plus others who happen across it) that only lasts for a couple months before your character hops off at the next train station or so. You could then either leave, pick up a new character, or find an excuse for your character to stay on the train to the next stop (which'd be very easy if you haven't told anyone your departure point). If you wanted something very short (say, three weeks), you could have a goal on the platform that doesn't even take you onto the train but which will still add an important mark to the game and give you a bit of fun.

What do you think?
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Fearkeeper
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by Fearkeeper »

I've been considering it. The problem is I have only a month before I return to school, which is why I wanted a short scenario. I don't want to involve myself in a game and then inconvenience everyone by leaving them abruptly. I also have to go on vacation in a few weeks.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Unfortunately most games run on a twice weekly or daily posting schedule which means that even a one shot scenario takes about 6 months to conclude. Those rare games that have a posting schedule about six times a day for all concerned still tend to take 1 - 2 months to conclude. If you want to / can manage a once or twice a week posting schedule you could probably keep gaming throughout the school year but it's up to you and your schedule.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/

Return to “Players Looking For Games”