interested in any game

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
Garrett
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

interested in any game

Post by Garrett »

I'm Garrett, I'm very experienced in roleplaying but relatively new to CoC I'd be interested in any game.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: interested in any game

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'm running three games, and you'd be welcome to join any or all of them. Zombie Apocalypse is modern (though non-Mythos). It's been running for just over six years, but it has only recently entered the second day of game time. Chapter 7 started late last year, but you could join in without too much catching up. Several recently added pregenerated characters are available, and/or you can create one or two of your own. There's always room for new players in this game, and there's even more now since several long-time players had to drop out.

Space Oddity is set in 1969 Philadelphia and inspired by Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. It's been running for over three years now. Several abandoned characters are available, and you could take one of them over or make your own character. Right now there are only a handful of active players.

My Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign samples a variety of eras. The first game, The Terror Out of Time, took place in 1930 London, but it finished last August. The second game, The Ninth Planet, takes place on Pluto in 2112, and it is currently underway. We're well into Episode 4, and I expect to finish within weeks. There are several abandoned characters you could take over if you want to join, but you can't create your own character in that one. The third adventure, The Shadow Over Dunwich, will probably start in August. It's a UNIT adventure set in 1985, and you'd be able to make your own character in that one. It's set in Dunwich, England.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

I would be interested in space oddity and maybe the zombie one too, I have a character already made from another roleplay I would like to use, is this okay?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That could probably work, but I'd need to see the character before approving it. Your character would not be allowed to have any knowledge of the Mythos initially and may have to be adjusted to account for the change of era. In Space Oddity, you'd be playing a character in 1969. Zombie Apocalypse takes place in the nebulous near future.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Here's my character, let me know if he will work.

Name: Cole Brocco
sex: Male
Current Residence: Boston, USA

Characteristics
STR: 13
CON: 8
SIZ: 12
DEX: 14
APP: 11
POW: 12
INT: 8
EDU: 16

Luck: 60%
Idea: 40%
Know: 80%

Hit Points: 10
Sanity: 60
Maximum Sanity: 99
Magic Points: 12
Damage Bonus: +1d4

Appearance and Personality
Cole is a about a head taller then a normal person with a muscular build, his hair is dark brown and cut very short. In public he wears jeans and a sports coat, while on jobs he wears a trenchcoat and fedora both tan in color; with his intimidating stature and silent moving he has more then once been mistaken for the reaper. When in public Cole is aloof, friendly even as he shamelessly absorbs his vices, making the statement he wants to enjoy life while its here. Only when he is interogating, scared, or drunk,(he only drinks heavily in private) does the real him come out; which is a bitter angry man.

Background
After his parents died in a fire Cole and his sister livid on the streets in Boston, Cole picked pockets to feet the two of them for five years. When he was thirteen his sister was shot by a junkie that Cole threatened, this is one of the only things that Cole feels guilty about. After she died Cole upped his game to performing burglaries to pay for his vices and living conditions. He quickly learned that he was talented in this field and a mafia fence started introducing him to special clients, he will do any job that pays well but he usually steals specific valuable items for his clients. He has little to know care for current events.

Skills
(non-default skills italics, professional skills in bold, hobbies preceded by a dot)

Accounting (10%):
Anthropology (01%):
Archaeology (01%):
Art (05%):
Astronomy (01%):
Bargain (05%):
Biology (01%):
Chemistry (01%):
Climb (40%):
Computer Use (01%):
Conceal (15%):
Craft (05%):
Credit Rating (15%):
Mythos (00%):
Disguise (01%):
Dodge (DEX x 2%): 28%
Drive Auto (20%):
Electrical Repair (10%):
Electronics (01%):
Fast Talk (05%): 50%
First Aid (30%):
Geology (01%):
Hide (10%): 75%
History (20%):
Jump (25%):
Law (05%):
Library Use (25%):
Listen (25%): 35%
Locksmith (01%): 89%
Martial Arts (01%):
Mechanical Repair (20%):
Medicine (05%):
Natural History (10%):
Navigate (10%):
Occult (05%):
Operate Heavy Machinery (01%):
Other Language (01%):
Own Language: English (EDU x 5%): 80%
Persuade (15%):
Pharmacy (01%):
Photography (10%):
Physics (01%):
Pilot (01%):
Psychotherapy (01%):
Psychology (05%):
Ride (05%):
Sneak (10%): 89
Spot Hidden (25%): 70%
Swim (25%):
Throw (25%):
Track (10%):

Hand-to-Hand:
Fist/Punch (50%):
Grapple (25%):
Head Butt (10%):
Kick (25%):

Firearms:
Handgun (20%): 88%
Machine Gun (15%):
Rifle (25%):
Shotgun (30%):
SMG (15%):

Equipment
On Person
-Survival Knife
-.44 revolver
-lighter and pack of cigerettes
-lockpicking gear
-Wallet with $20 cash
-mints
In Car
-box of bullets
-trench coat
-clorafoam and rag (in coat pocket)
-carton of cigerettes, half full
-safe cracking gear
-bottle of whiskey, half full
-Rope

Wealth roll-5 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3605195/
Last edited by Garrett on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Oh, that's your Silent Hill character. He'd work as is in Zombie Apocalypse; he'd probably best be situated in the Omaha section (which takes place in Omaha, Nebraska). If you want to play him in Space Oddity, which is set in Philadelphia in July 1969, his equipment list will need to purged of anything anachronistic. Desert Eagles weren't invented until the 1980s, cell phones didn't exist yet, and tasers were just starting development at this time (which wouldn't be completed until 1974). You could substitute another handgun for the Desert Eagle.

Note that Cole has a few skills at high levels, but he isn't skilled at much else. He'll be excellent at stealth, lockpicking, and combat, but that's about it. These would be very useful in Zombie Apocalypse, but the lack of other skills may hinder him. In Space Oddity his skills will be less useful, but they still have their place. That said, I can easily fit him into the plot in that game.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Yeah that game moves somewhat slow and I really want to play him. Space oddity is classic case solving right? I figured Cole would be very useful in a group but not alone at such a task, purging my inventory is no problem I"ll just have clorafoam and a .44 instead of the other stuff.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Space Oddity is investigative yes, whereas Zombie Apocalypse is survival horror. However, the characters for the most part don't start out knowing each other and sometimes may end up working at cross purposes or even on opposite sides. Cole would be alone at least to start, but that may change as the game develops.

Another issue with his equipment list is his cash. $500 in the present is the equivalent of about $100 in 1969. Other than that, I'll just want to double check the math and make sure the correct number of skill points are allocated. I do this for all new characters, and it's far more common for people to spend too few skill points than too many. You'd be surprised how many people have shortchanged themselves. I haven't updated Space Oddity in a few days, but I intend to do so this weekend, most likely Sunday. When I do, I'll post your revised character sheet and a thread where you'll start.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Sounds good, thanks.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

The only other thing I can think of now is that Cole's background has him in Boston. He doesn't have to live in Philadelphia for this adventure, he just has to be in town. He might have been called in to do a job, though, which will factor into how I introduce him to the story.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

It doesn't matter where he's from as long as the city has a mafia and is big enough to have homeless people then there are no holes in his story. He can be from wherever you want, the city has no significance to the character.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Garrett, could it be that you may be Logan Kane from Obsidain?
Just checking...

/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

no I'm not
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Cool, the same. Welcome to the boards!
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

It's fine if he's from Boston, just as long he's planning to be in Philadelphia from Thursday, July 17 through Monday, July 21, 1969. I hope to be able to get him started later tonight.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I've gone through your character sheet, and it looks like you've underspent by 5 hobby points. Feel free to add them to whichever skill or skills you like (except Cthulhu Mythos).

Also, I'll need a Wealth roll for you. Please roll 1d10. I'll use the modern income and assets chart but divide the results by 5 to get an approximation of the values in 1969 dollars.

Once you've done those two things, I can post your completed character sheet and get you started.

Note that your starting Sanity is 60. Having a skill start at 90 or above does not give you +2d6 Sanity. You only get the increase if your skill increases to 90 or above during the course of the game.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

fixed the character sheet, ready to start playing.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, the sheet looks good. I'll try to get you started tonight.

I noticed that you have now put 89s in a bunch of skills, most likely hoping for a Sanity boost for hitting 90. Be warned! Bad things happen to characters like that in my games.

Okay, they also happen to other characters. But my point still applies! ;)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Garrett
Adept
Adept

Post by Garrett »

Hey if its still open I'd like to join the zombie game, I'd really like to start at the beginning of the apocalypse although I understand if that's impossible. I'd like to play the Omaha group, depending on the group I'm in I might make a new character.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I'd be glad to have you join Zombie Apocalypse, and there's always plenty of room. I'm still not quite caught up and haven't updated it in over two weeks, but I should be able to get it moving again this weekend. You can find the character sheets in the Character Sheets thread in the Chapter 7 subforum here. You may play multiple characters if you like, and it is recommended. You may take any of the characters from players who are marked MIA as well as those characters who have not been claimed (except for the ones labeled Deceased, of course). You'll have less catching up if you choose characters who were added in Chapter 7. I'll list them below:

GOLD
Airman First Class Gregor Cross
Airman Carolyn Wagner

SWORD
Tricia Barrett (you might not want to play her; she's in a very bad situation)
Mary Bell
Clyde Bell
Veronica Bell

OMAHA
Officer Jerome Hooper (badly injured)
Piauyu Deertrack

You also have the option of creating one or two of your own characters, one in Gold and/or one in Omaha. Instructions are in the next to last post in Rules and Guidelines in the main Zombie Apocalypse forum. You can post your choices for pregenerated characters and your work on your own characters in the Character Selection, Creation, and Discussion thread below that. You can also post questions there if you have any.

We're not at the beginning of the apocalypse, but we are still only early on the second day, so you haven't missed much in terms of time. However, an awful lot has happened in that first day, but I'll fill you in on what your characters would know if you create new ones.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Players Looking For Games”