New player

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

New player

Post by aine »

Hello, I'm a new player. I've never played 'play by post' but I'm an experienced paper-player; although not for a while now. It's been mostly Rolemaster and Call of Cthulhu. I've no idea how this forum works but I reckon I can dedicate enough time to be a useful player. If I have any choice I'd like to play 1890- 1920 England/ Egypt as a female character. Can anyone tell me what's a typical 'log-in' rate for this forum?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: New player

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Hi, and welcome to the forum, Aine!

We have very differing rates of posting here on the board. Regarding log-in rates, most players log-in a couple of time each day.
If a game has just started it might move quite rapidly. By clicking on any user name you get a profile and can gauge how often a member posts. You also see when the user last logged in.
At the bottom of the page of the forum, you can see who´s on line at the moment.

Some games run without trouble to the end - with the odd replacements of players. (Characters will drop like flies...)
Other games are short lived as things don´t pan out as expected.

There are game that have lasted for five years - even longer. Some of these have had hiatus for a year.

But what isn´t dead can eventually rise. Or how was that quote?

I myself have no classic era game going on. They are scarce at the moment. Mr Handy is recruiting players to his games, as well as femme fatale Laraqua is kicking a game alive again. (They´ll soon post here, for sure.)

/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Thankyou for such a speedy response and the advice. I'll dig out the old rule book and swot up, I haven't played for a while, and await Mr Handy and Ms Laraqua.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Aine! I'm running three games, one of which is new and another of which is approaching a new beginning. My first Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu game, The Terror Out of Time, was set in 1930 London and just finished. However, it is the first scenario in a planned campaign. I intend to start the second game, The Ninth Planet, in early September. It is set in 2112, but you won't need to worry about character creation. Other than surviving characters from the first game, all characters are pregenerated in that one. There were ten, but eight have already been claimed. The two remaining characters are both female: Captain Karin Bauer, M.D. and 2nd Lt. Colleen Rose. Laraqua will be joining as well, and while she has not selected her character yet, she will probably want to choose Lt. Colleen Rose. This means I have room for exactly one more new player, so if you want in you should respond quickly. I have plans for further adventures in this campaign that will sample other eras. An 1890s game is pretty much a certainty at some point (most likely set in London), and I have plans to set some further adventures in the UK and in Egypt. However, these games will be years away. The Terror Out of Time took nearly a year to complete.

Zombie Apocalypse is modern day non-Mythos survival horror and has been running for over five years now, but I'm wrapping up Chapter 6 and should be starting Chapter 7 in early September as well. Chapter 7 will actually mark the beginning of the second day of game time (a lot has been going on during the first day! :twisted: ). There will be some new pregenerated characters added for Chapter 7, and you can also create one or two of your own, with which I can help you.

Space Oddity has been running for well over two years. It's set in 1969 Philadelphia and is inspired by Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. However, it moves slowly and you could join in without too much trouble, either taking over an abandoned character or creating a new one. Only about 24 hours of game time have passed since that one started.

I prefer for players in my games to post at least twice per week. During the week I can usually only get online and post for a few hours once per day, but I tend to have more time on the weekends.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Thanks Mr Handy, I have moved to the Zero Room, Planet Nine for debriefing.

Return to “Players Looking For Games”