Brand New to Paper RPGs

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
arccos
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Brand New to Paper RPGs

Post by arccos »

Hi! I'm a player that's new to paper RPGs, but not play by email/post games. I used to play some chess and other move-based strategy games by email.

I've always wanted to get into paper RPGs, but I used to live out in an area where there both weren't very many people and such activities weren't very popular. A shame, because they always sounded quite fun.

I would love to give just about any role-play scenario a try at this point. I may be a new player, but I'm enthusiastic and willing to put in the work to learn the systems I need to make the game a success. If anyone is willing to try out a new player, either as a stand-in for an inactive character or a new character altogether, I can promise that you'll be pleased you did.

Anyone willing to try me out?

-Arccos
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Brand New to Paper RPGs

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Arccos! I'm running three games, one of which is new and another of which is approaching a new beginning. My first Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu game, The Terror Out of Time, was set in 1930 London and just finished. However, it is the first scenario in a planned campaign. I intend to start the second game, The Ninth Planet, in early September. It is set in 2112, but you won't need to worry about character creation. Other than surviving characters from the first game, all characters are pregenerated in that one. There were ten, but seven have already been claimed. The three remaining characters are all female, if it matters. I have one other player joining, and while she has not selected her character yet, she will probably want to choose Lt. Colleen Rose.

Zombie Apocalypse is modern day non-Mythos survival horror and has been running for over five years now, but I'm wrapping up Chapter 6 and should be starting Chapter 7 in early September as well. Chapter 7 will actually mark the beginning of the second day of game time (a lot has been going on during the first day! :twisted: ). There will be some new pregenerated characters added for Chapter 7, and you can also create one or two of your own, with which I can help you.

Space Oddity has been running for well over two years. It's set in 1969 Philadelphia and is inspired by Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes. However, it moves slowly and you could join in without too much trouble, either taking over an abandoned character or creating a new one. Only about 24 hours of game time have passed since that one started.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
arccos
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by arccos »

Mr. Handy wrote:My first Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu game, The Terror Out of Time, was set in 1930 London and just finished.
This one sounds pretty interesting. Please sign me up, if you don't mind. :D I'm willing to take any character you hand me. I imagine you would recommend new players try a single game at a time so they don't bite off more than they can chew?

Anything you need me to do to prepare? Perhaps check out the CoC rulebook, or is it best if I don't know ahead of time?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome aboard! 8-) The three remaining characters available are Captain Karin Bauer, M.D., 2nd Lt. Colleen Rose, and Private Alison Silver. Their character sheets are posted in the Cast of Characters thread in the forum for The Ninth Planet. You should look through them and choose which one you want. I'm working on the new characters for Zombie Apocalypse now, but they probably won't be posted until next weekend. The surviving characters from the first six chapters are in the Character Sheets thread of the Chapter 6 subforum under Zombie Apocalypse. There are also plenty of abandoned characters for Space Oddity in the Character Sheets thread in the Space Oddity forum. You have the option of creating your own characters in those two games as well.

If you think you can handle more than one game at a time, there's no reason not to join them. The games' pace is fairly slow anyway. Between chapters is the best time to join Zombie Apocalypse, but you could always join later if you like. You'd just have to catch up on Chapter 7 up to that point.

Please do check out the CoC rulebook if you have it (though you might want to avoid the portions with information for Keepers unless you're planning to run a game yourself). It's better if you're familiar with the rules already, but you don't need to be. You can also look over the character sheets and background material that I've posted. Right now, The Ninth Planet has only one thread with background material (Styx Base Personnel), and it's a pretty short read. I'm hoping to put some more up tomorrow and next weekend before kicking the game off the weekend after that. Zombie Apocalypse has a lot more background material, some of which may be useful for any game (such as the Rules and Guidelines thread).
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Players Looking For Games”