Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
KaineD
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

New guy looking for a game

Post by KaineD »

Hello!

I love horror stories. I love the Cthulhu mythos, the despair, the futility of it all, the fear of the unknown. I've tried a few roleplaying games online but most of the time games seem to end very abruptly before they've really had a chance to start. I've played DnD 3.5 but I tend to get confused by the rules, I have dyslexia, math ain't my strong point, and it can be hard to keep up. I've played a little of CoC, and it seems a lot more straightfoward. And I much prefer the atmosphere in horror stories.

I find that it isn't enough for me to read, I want to participate. Video games are fine, but they're not the same thing as being totally captured by a story.

If there are new games, or on going games that need new players, please let me know!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: New guy looking for a game

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, KaineD! You'd be welcome to join any or all of my games. None of them are new, however. The newest game I'm running is The Terror Out of Time, a Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu adventure set in 1930 London. The game started almost eight months ago and is more than 3/4 over, but I can still add you in. I'm looking for replacement players for a few characters that have been abandoned. It's a bit late to add in new characters from 1930. This is the first in a planned series of adventures. The second one, which I hope to start this summer, will be called The Ninth Planet and is set in the future.

I run two other games here that you could join as well, though they've been going for a long time. Space Oddity is set in 1969 Philadelphia and is inspired by Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes. It's been running for close to two years, but it's moving fairly slowly. Many characters have been abandoned, and I only have one active player left. Zombie Apocalypse is modern non-Mythos survival horror, though it has its own similar mythology. That game has been going for almost five years, but it wouldn't be too hard to jump in with little or no catching up. You could choose pregenerated characters and/or you could create your own.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
KaineD
Layman
Layman

Post by KaineD »

I think it would make sense for me to join the Doctor Who game. That way, I'll be able to begin your new adventure in the summer. What are the characters I can choose between? I'll start reading to catch up immediately.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Well, you could still play in the second adventure even if you didn't play in the first. The Time Lord and his companions are all played by active players, so you'd be taking over one of the characters from 1930. It's possible for them to become companions too and join the Time Lord, but it's also possible you'd just be playing a new character in The Ninth Planet. The best character for you to take over is probably British Museum security guard Gareth Hayes. His latest player disappeared quite a while ago and hasn't been seen since, so I feel comfortable in giving him away. American gangster Harry Byg's player hasn't posted here for almost a month and a half, but I have seen him on another board lately. Still, he's pretty busy and the adventure may be over before he can return anyway. There were another four characters, the last ones on the Character Sheets thread, that were added late and were perihperally involved in the story, but they've been abandoned by their players (some of them more than once). Since they never did get involved in the main plot or meet the other characters, though it's still possible for them to get involved, I may just close off that part of the story if nobody takes them over, which would be a lot simpler. They do have the least amount of catching up required. The player for wastrel Russell Bates hasn't been gone long, but zoologist Astor Weldon, astrophysicist Stephen Halley, and orphanage matron Lena Palmer haven't had players for a long time.

Let me know which character you'd like, and I'll tell you which threads to read in order to catch up. You're only allowed to read In Character threads if your character is in them for now, but after the adventure concludes you'll be able to go back and read the whole thing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
KaineD
Layman
Layman

Post by KaineD »

I'll play Gareth Hayes, please. Seems like someone I could add some character to.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great, he's yours! You may read the Introduction post in Episode 1, though Gareth isn't in it. To catch up on Gareth's story, you'll need to look at both Blast from the Past and Fright at the Museum in Episode 1, as he sort of goes between both threads. After that, you'll need to read All Together Now (also in Episode 1). You'll stop at the post on the last page where Gareth leaves the room and then pick up again in the Episode 2 thread Guard Duty. When you finish, a hyperlink will direct you to Are You My Mummy? You'll stop reading at the point not far from the top of page 2 of that thread where almost everyone else leaves the room. I think I added a hyperlink there too. At that point, you'll return to Guard Duty briefly before a hyperlink sends you to The Lion's Den. This will lead you to The Exchange, and then Death From Below in Episode 3. After that, you'll be directed to Off the Clock and Night at the Museum. Finally, you'll go to Race Against Time in Episode 4, which is Gareth's current thread. Once you've caught up, you can start posting for Gareth in that thread when you're ready. You may also post in the OOC chat thread, The Zero Room, any time. Have fun!
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
KaineD
Layman
Layman

Post by KaineD »

Alot of reading to do! I'll post when I'm caught up. Thankyou.

Return to “Players Looking For Games”