I'm totally new, I've never done a game before.

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

I'm totally new, I've never done a game before.

Post by Midnightlight »

Hi there.

I'm new to roleplaying, and instead of going to something like Dungeons and Dragons, I prefer something like Call of Cthulhu, basically because I'm a fan of Lovecraft, and I really like horror.

However, I'm new to it, as I mentioned before, and I'd really like a chance to get a game in, and have someone teach me the ropes of playing.

Thanks,

Middy.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: I'm totally new, I've never done a game before.

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Midnightllight! I'd be glad to have you join either or both of my games. Zombie Apocalypse has been going on for over three years, and is nearing the end of Chapter 4. Currently all characters are pre-generated, each with his or her own secrets, though there will soon be opportunities to create your own characters. Some of the characters added during Chapter 4 require only a little catching up in order to play. Chapter 5 will probably start in early September, and there will be opportunities to add in characters that require no prior knowledge of the first four chapters. Zombie Apocalypse is intense and highly lethal modern-day survival horror, not the sort of traditional investigative horror you may be expecting (there's still some investigation, but much of your efforts would be devoted to simply staying alive), and it does not involve the Mythos as such, but it does have similar elements.

My other game, Space Oddity, started in April and is inspired by Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes (but with Mythosy twists). It's set in Philadelphia in 1969, and we're currently transitioning from the prologue to Chapter 1. A couple of players disappeared after a recent site outage, so there's some room to squeeze in someone new. You could either create a new character, or you could take over an existing NPC or one of the abandoned PCs (though those options would require a little back reading).

You can also check the I'm Thinking of Running a Game board, as there are a couple of games that are going to start soon where you could join in at the beginning. Carcosannoble, if he returns, is planning to run one called Cultists at College (where the PCs are cultists), Welsh is going to run a Wild West adventure set in Idaho in the 1850s, and Mi-Go Agent is planning to run a game where the PCs are Mythos creatures.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Midnightlight
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Midnightlight »

Well, I might join the Zombie Apocalypse one when new characters are allowed, so that's an option.

I'm quite curious about Space Oddity though. How do I make a character for that?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

I use the standard character creation rules from the book for Space Oddity. I can help walk you through it. Full instructions are in the Character Creation and Discussion thread here. You can just post in that thread as the other players have done.

If you'd like to take over an existing character, that's okay too. Both the lawyer, Alan Gains, and the aging biker, John Hawkes, have been abandoned by their players and are available. Their stats are in the Character Sheets thread. You would need to read their backstories first. Alan Gains is now important to the plot. I've written John Hawkes out, but can bring him back in if needed. There are also some NPCs you could take over, including a couple based on characters from Life on Mars. There's Detective Harry Sawyer (based on Chris Skelton), currently asleep and having a very interesting dream, and Officer Amy Cooper (the Annie Cartwright character) who's keeping an eye on him at the hospital right now. If you want to play a police detective or uniformed officer of your own creation, your character could be an original one who works with them. The Gene Hunt and Ray Carling characters have already been taken over by other players.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
welsh
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by welsh »

Midnight- We got a tend of potential characters lined up on the Horror on the River of No Return- a Wild West Cthulhu adventure!
http://www.nma-fallout.com

One man's meat may very well be another man's person-
- Anonymous Cannibal

Return to “Players Looking For Games”