Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
seanarcher
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

old roleplayer looking for a game

Post by seanarcher »

Hey Guys/Gals

I used to roleplay quite some time ago :AD&D, Shadow runner, Masquerade, CTHULHU, Mech Warrior and a few others. I would like to get back into some form of it and this seems like a good start. I haven't done any of this type of online roleplaying before, but it would be perfect for me as I'm a dad of 3 girls and don't have to time to RP.

Oh yes I'm from Perth Western Australia as well.

I hope there is a game out there I can get into CTHULHU any era :D
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: old roleplayer looking for a game

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, Sean! I'm currently running two games on these boards. Zombie Apocalypse is about three years old, but you could still jump in without much catching up. The characters are all pre-generated, and some have been added fairly recently. If you took over one (or more) of them, you wouldn't have to read too much. We're currently late in Chapter 4, and Chapter 5 should be starting later this summer (winter where you are, of course). At that point there will be more opportunities to introduce new characters. Zombie Apocalypse is modern-day survival horror set in Nebraska and Wyoming, and while it's a non-Mythos adventure, it does have some similar elements and the same rules.

The other game I'm running is called Space Oddity, and it's set in 1969 in Philadelphia. This one's inspired by Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, but with some Mythosy twists. The game just started in April, and we're transitioning out of the prologue and into Chapter 1. We may have lost a few players with a recent site outage, but I'm hoping they'll return. If they don't, their characters will be available to be taken over. You could instead create a new character or take over an NPC if you want to play.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
seanarcher
Layman
Layman

Post by seanarcher »

Hi Mr Handy(if thats your real name;)

Your space oddity sounds very interesting, I really enjoyed life on mars(the UK one that is) I would love to take over an NPC or PC that has been abandoned :(

I don't really know how roleplaying via the internet goes so it may take sometime for me to get the hang of it..
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

No, that's not my real name. ;)

I didn't see the UK version of Life on Mars until the last few months. I had seen the US version, but the UK one is so much better. I actually saw Ashes to Ashes before that when BBC America started airing it, and then I found the UK Life on Mars on YouTube. I watched all 16 episodes, and they were the uncut versions with a full 60 minutes of show. The ones that aired on BBC America were cut down to 45 minutes. Plus, I've got a widescreen HD monitor, so the picture and sound quality were as great as they can get (though it wasn't actually recorded in HD). Then I saw the uncut version of Ashes to Ashes on YouTube, and I've seen both of the first two series. Looking forward to Series 3!

It's probably best to wait and give players more chance to return before giving away abandoned PCs, but there are some good NPCs available you could take over right now. If you want, you can take over one of the ones directly based on Life on Mars characters. I've already drawn up stats for them, so you wouldn't need to worry about character creation. The Gene Hunt-like character is named Lieutenant John Yeager. He'll be tough to play, but a lot of fun (I certainly enjoy writing for him!). Our Ray Carling analog is Sergeant Charlie Rawlings, the character similar to Chris Skelton is Detective Harry Sawyer, and the Annie Cartwright lookalike is Officer Amy Cooper. All of them are available if you like. Harry is unconscious at the moment and will remain that way for some time after having done something Chris-like, but he's having an interesting dream, so you could still have things to do as him while he's asleep. John and Amy are on their way to the hospital with him, and Charlie is about to interrogate a prisoner. If you want to play one of them, I'll tell you which parts of their thread (Time Will Crawl) you'll need to read, and I'll also send you any additional info they have in a PM.

If you have another type of NPC in mind, just let me know what you're interested in. There are several to choose from.

Don't worry about being new to this. I've got a number of new players, and I'll help you out when you need it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
seanarcher
Layman
Layman

Post by seanarcher »

Lieutenant John Yeager sounds like a challenge, and I like getting thrown into the deep end I would love to give him ago :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Great! It'll be good for both him and Bill to be PCs, and I'm sure you'll have fun with him. Just play him like Gene Hunt and you can't go wrong. He is in charge of the team, so he'll have a lot of responsibility. To catch up on what he's done so far, read Time Will Crawl starting from this post (which features your dramatic entrance). Do not read the posts above it, and skip over Bill's introspections and private thoughts and actions. Your character has no knowledge of these things. I'll send you a PM later detailing things he knows that Bill does not. Before that, I'll post his character sheet. He already has a few skill checks from his actions as an NPC, and those will be indicated as well.

The game forum is here. Remember that you may not read the IC threads where your character is not present. The Character Sheets thread at the top lists all of the PCs' stats. The Character Creation and Discussion thread is for talking about characters. While I've already created yours, you might want to flesh out his background some, and that's the place to discuss it. For all other Out of Character discussion, whether game-related or not, you'll want to post in the Groovy Psychedelic Chit-Chat Lounge. Feel free to read both of those threads, and to post and introduce yourself.

Play-by-post games are slower-paced than tabletop, but it's not that hard to get used to. You'll post in your IC thread describing your character's actions, dialogue, and thoughts. You should not write actions or speech for other characters, even NPCs, though in your case you can generally expect everyone under your character's command to obey your orders most of the time. I'll post the results of your actions, descriptions of locations in the story, and actions and reactions of NPCs. Sometimes I'll ask you to roll dice against a skill or stat, for which we use Invisible Castle. The Rules and Guidelines thread from my other game, Zombie Apocalypse, has step-by-step instructions for using Invisible Castle in the initial post as well as other useful rules tidbits and helpful info. The final post explains how to use spoiler button tags. Combat won't be as involved (or as prevalent) in Space Oddity as in Zombie Apocalypse, but there's a short unarmed fight shortly after your character is introduced that can help you get a feel for it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Once you've caught up, you can start posting in Time Will Crawl. You'll be moving into a new thread that will bring you into Chapter 1 before too much longer, but you might as well get started now and start talking to Bill. Enjoy, and "don't hold back!" :D
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Players Looking For Games”