Old Hand, New To Play Forums

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
ThothAmon
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 15 years 1 month

Old Hand, New To Play Forums

Post by ThothAmon »

I'm new to these forums but an old hand at CoC, RPGs and PBeM (my last online game was Dan Harms' Averoigne campaign). I'd like to get in on a game. I have a few caveats:

(1) Preference goes to those GMs / mods who have already demonstrated that they can take an online game to conclusion. I don't want to commit my time (or anyone else's) to a non-starter.

(2) Preferrably I'd like to get in on a game that has yet to start. If the lead-in is right I'm happy to jump in at early stages. If a game is closing I'd rather not.

(3) When it comes to PBeM I have a personal preference for roleplaying over rules / combat.

(4) My time zone is UK, if that's important.

Soooo... is there anybody out there??
Cheers.

Peter.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Old Hand, New To Play Forums

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Hail, Emperor of the Sun!

I´m running a scenario that could squeeze an extra player in. I have completed one scenario on this list. The LA Skinner in the hall of fame. I f you can live with my Keeping-style you´re welcome to join.
Modern, 2007 setting.
The most obvious place to join is in UK. I have one player holding the Empire´s reputation in his hands. Another set of hands would be great!

The research facility at Porton Down have had a mishap. On the record - nothing is wrong of course...

One of the researchers is heading north, to Ireland, to look into a few things and start up a base of operations.

Should you like to join, read the UK post, the least extensive to get into the game: Porton Down

Some directions on the formatting of posts and such: Format

As the game has been running for quite a while, new branches grow and the plot in the background may be followed or not. The players have the choice to decide.

The bottom line is that a drug, TDM, is being used to influence people of all walks of life to make their nightmares affect the people around them. Teams in New York, Los Angeles, Manaus (Brazil) and Dingle (Ireland) work to stop the drug.

/Dave

Edit: And, yes it´s required to post at least twice per week to show good faith ;).
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ThothAmon
Layman
Layman

Post by ThothAmon »

I've read the Porton Down material. Interesting. Reeks of PISCES / DG :)

What kind of character you after? That material gives me a couple of ideas:

(1) From the ongoing scenario, Dr Brown himself, played as an obnoxius backstabbing shark with a number of advanced bioscience degrees, a wardrobe full of designer suits, an expensive fast car and a black book full of intriguing contacts (including athletic young ladies). Not a pleasant, cuddly type of guy but could be a useful foil for other characters.

(2) Something more leftfield, an undeveloped idea from way back, light comic relief. Call him Dr Smith until I come up with a name. Degrees in (astro)physics, maths, comp sci. A communications and computers savant, expert in crypto, SIGINT, pattern recognition, neural networks. Ex-GCHQ, security clearance revoked due to his growing unhealthy obsession with SETI, flying saucers, conspiracy theory, crop circles, chaos number theory, David Icke's lizard people, the Pyramid of Giza etc. Based on the character of Mother from the movie 'Sneakers' but given a UK twist.
Cheers.

Peter.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Welcome, ThothAmon! I'm currently running one game and getting ready to start another, and you'd be welcome to join either (or both!). I haven't completed any games yet, but Zombie Apocalypse has been running for nearly three years now. It doesn't really have a set endpoint, unless everyone dies of course. I started out as a player and took over as primary Keeper after about four months when the game's creator, Welsh, no longer had the time to dedicate to it. While it's a long-running game, you can still join in with almost no catching up. I recently added nine new characters that require no prior reading. Zombie Apocalypse can be combat-heavy in places, but the new characters are in a place where the emphasis will be more on roleplaying and intrigue than outright combat. I do use a lot of the rules from the book, but I try to do so behind the scenes as much as possible, so that the players can concentrate on playing. I've got players from lots of different time zones, so that won't be an obstacle.

You'd probably be more interested in the game I'm about to start, called Space Oddity. The thread describing it is here: http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/viewtop ... =39&t=1818

I just got a player who is interested in playing the character in the 2009 setting, but there are still openings for characters in 1969. I'm hoping to get character creation done in the next week or so, and then start the game once it's done. Space Oddity will have far less combat than Zombie Apocalypse, with plenty of roleplaying opportunities, and will be more rules-light than Zombie Apocalypse.

For both games, I expect players to post a minimum of twice per week.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

PISCES and Delta Green are used as background to the sceanrios I run, but the actual agencies doesn´t exist. I´ve used an agency called FARSEC or FARSEEK to take the role of para scientific investigative network. Dr Brown, I´ll keep to myself... The UFO / fringe scientist could be rolled up, no problems! I have a way in to the scenario for that one, as well as a neat heap of background info.
The location for this guy ought to be in the forest outside Woodbridge AFB.
I´ll PM you some details. Then you can decide if you like to have a stab at it.
Cheers!
/Dave
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
ThothAmon
Layman
Layman

Post by ThothAmon »

OK drop me an PM :)
Cheers.

Peter.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

Both are great campaigns (I'm playing them). Zombie apocalypse is like a neverending story and it's a lot of fun; it's perfect for anyone who likes Romero movies (a warning: it lacks the Mythos, but have it's own mythology). TDM is more like x-files, investigation, conspirations. And both Mr Handy and Syrinx are great storytellers.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks, Kabukiman!

ThothAmon, you'll enjoy The Dreaming Man too. I certainly do, and I also played in and enjoyed Syrinx's previous game, L.A. Skinner.

Zombie Apocalypse does have its own mythology, and while some elements are similar to the Mythos, there are also new twists. It owes much to Romero, and it also has many other influences (there's some Quentin Tarantino in there too). It's highly lethal, which is why I allow and even encourage players to play multiple characters (all of them are pregenerated, but there are still lots of them left...for now :twisted: ). It's more survival horror than investigative, as so far characters have been too busy trying not to die to have much time for browsing libraries, but there is some investigation in there. Relying too much on fighting will just get you and everyone around you killed.

Space Oddity is like...well, I can't tell you what exactly it's like without giving away some surprises, but it's weird and cool investigative horror. It hasn't started yet, so you could get in on the ground floor with this one.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep

Return to “Players Looking For Games”