Looking for something 'different'

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Looking for something 'different'

Post by yellowsigh »

Hi, this is my first post here. I've wandered in out of the cold looking for a particular something 'different', so I'd best explain.

I'm looking for something a bit freeform, a bit rules light, so I don't have to worry about a character sheet or rolling dice much. Just that I don't know how much time I can readily commit to a game at the moment, and it'd be easier to just write posts when I get a free moment.

I was also wondering if there was anything out there where some of the famous global campaigns were run as a backdrop, with player characters free to wander around as they want and sort of stumble across things if they end up somewhere where the GM has decided events are about to unfold. I've just been intrigued by the massive pbp that exists for the fantasy setting Tazlure, and wondered if there was anything like it for a one of my favourite RPG games - a Lovecraftian world where the days roll by and events unfold as various cults work to bring about the end. That would be damn cool.
. . .y o u ' r e i n s y l u m t o r e m e m b e r . . .
• Mood Music •
DSIGFUSS
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Re: Looking for something 'different'

Post by DSIGFUSS »

you should check out ash.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

Ash isn't much of a globe-trotter of cult-dom. More a London-trotter of doom-dom. :lol:
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

I haven’t had chance to read along since Chapter One, which is hosted on another site, but as far as know each chapter is a self contained story set against the backdrop of the overall Apocalypse – with some survivors of previous chapters reappearing. There was also talk at one time of running two separate chapters / storylines concurrently.

All of the characters are pre-gens, so you don’t have to worry about the details – just pick a character (or two or three characters) that you like the look of, and start roleplaying.

It’s also rules-light, which should suit your style.

Mr Handy has said that chapter four is due to begin in November, so join in then and you don’t even have to read up the earlier chapters. I’m quite interested in joining-in in November myself.

Another game that you might like is Welsh’s Lure of Nile. It’s a kind of prequel to both Masks of Nyarlathotep and Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, so it touches onto both stories without actually involving the characters in those events. Again most of the characters are pre-gens, and Welsh usually has a couple available.

My own Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign, while obviously a Chaosium Classic itself, allows the characters to uncover what happened to the protagonists of Lovecraft’s original. Although I’m quite a way through the campaign, we’ve only just begun the Antarctic section and I’m kind of ‘semi-looking’ for someone to take over running the female pilot Kitt Knight once again. Unfortunately now that the expedition is in Antarctica there isn’t any option to create totally fresh characters.

If you’d like to take over running Kitt, I’ll provide a synopsis.
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by yellowsigh »

Cheers for all the info!

I'll have a look at the stuff you've mentioned and speak up again when I'm a bit better informed.
• Mood Music •
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Sorry, the first part of my previous post was supposed to be a recommendation of Welsh and Mr Handy's Zombie Apocalypse, but I cut&pasted and missed off the first paragraph - oops. :oops:
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Thanks for the plug, Raiko. Just a few clarifications about Zombie Apocalypse. It might not be exactly what you're looking for, yellowsigh, but I think you'll certainly enjoy it and new players are always welcome. It's not very freeform (though it started out moreso), and there are rules. Mostly I handle those behind the scenes and give the players instructions, but they are pretty much applied in full - you just wouldn't have to worry as much about them. You would also bypass character generation, as all of the characters are pre-generated.

The first two chapters are hosted on another site, and there are links to them in The Story So Far... in Zombie Apocalypse, but you don't need to read them. You can if you'd like, but they're very long. The chapters are not self-contained; instead, each follows immediately after the one before. All of the survivors of one chapter move on to the next. However, because this is a highly lethal game, there aren't quite so many of them left any more. In Chapter 3, the survivors were split up into three major groups and their storylines do develop concurrently, but I think Raiko is referring to plans Welsh and I have to eventually expand and restart Zombie Apocalypse after the current run concludes.

Zombie Apocalypse isn't exactly a globe-trotting adventure, though you are certainly free to travel wherever you like in the world. However, travel is exceedingly dangerous, so you might not get there. Staying in one place is also very dangerous. :twisted: So far all the events have taken place in a relatively small geographic area, though events all across the world have affected the characters - and vice versa!

I am planning to start Chapter 4 in November, but it will most likely be late November given the pace at which Chapter 3 is wrapping up. There will be over 40 new characters added at that point, and anyone can jump in there with no prior reading required.

I also second the recommendation for Ash. Chapter 3 of that game will be starting before too much longer, so that would be a good opportunity to get in.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Laraqua »

I wouldn't. There's the creepiest duo of little girls in it ... ever. One just farted!

Seriously, the contrast between the campfire, koom-bye-ah (sic)-singing, let's-all-be-angsty-friends characters against a back drop of ashen apocalypse is just great. My players really know how to fight to hold the candle of hope in the bleakness...

Though I do wish for more homicidal mania! *grins*

But yeah, if you do end up interested, drop me a line. Otherwise, it's all cool...

*whistles and wears cool hat*
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
yellowsigh
Initiate
Initiate

Post by yellowsigh »

Actually the zombie apocalypse one sounds fun. It just so happens that I watched a trailer for new TV show (http://www.e4.com/deadset/) that has reawakened my passion for the genre.

I'll look into Ash over lunch-time. Or this evening, if I forget. Or... well, I'll try to get around to it. It also sounds good.

Not too bothered about the whole global thing, just thought it would be great if there was a board somewhere set up like that, something a little more open-ended and less linear. But I've tried a horror play-by-mail before and found it really good fun. I'm sure both the recommended games will be right up my street.
• Mood Music •
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

I’m thinking of starting a Gaslight Era game, but as there doesn’t seem too much interest in a Gaslight Era game – I’ve outlined my planned adventure – and the follow on Globe Trotting campaign a little more. I’ve also explained how it could be run as a Fantasy, Age of Sail or Classic Era game instead – if potential players prefer.

Regardless of setting / Era the main campaign will involve a voyage/expedition to the mythical Skull Island (King Kong’s island). There won’t be a giant ape there though...

The initial one-shot adventure will involve a ‘haunted structure,’ regardless of era. It may or may not be directly linked into the follow on campaign, but it will serve to get the initial set of characters together.

The recruitment / discussion thread for one shot adventure – and the follow on campaign is here.

Return to “Players Looking For Games”