Never played CoC, but I've read Lovecraft's books

Please post here if you are interested in playing in a game here on Play@YSDC
Greene
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Never played CoC, but I've read Lovecraft's books

Post by Greene »

I'm no stranger to the setting, but I am to the game. I messed around with an online Call of Cthulhu character generator, so I know a little bit about the game. Anyone willing to teach?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Re: Never played CoC, but I've read Lovecraft's books

Post by Laraqua »

Well, whaddaya wanna play anyhow?
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Greene
Layman
Layman

Post by Greene »

Laraqua wrote:Well, whaddaya wanna play anyhow?
I'm more interested in the explorers/investigators/whatever going into a normal situation, and discovering something not-so-normal about it. I'm OK with the anti-Mythos scenarios like Delta Green, but they're not my favorite. I don't like comedic scenarios like Cathulhu.
OathinBlood
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by OathinBlood »

Surprisingly, Cathulhu is actually not comedic. It's literally CoC, but with cats. Of course it's a bit comedic itself, just because of the humanization of the cats, but the subject material is entirely Lovecraftian.
Greene
Layman
Layman

Post by Greene »

OathinBlood wrote:Surprisingly, Cathulhu is actually not comedic. It's literally CoC, but with cats. Of course it's a bit comedic itself, just because of the humanization of the cats, but the subject material is entirely Lovecraftian.
I know, but I still just can't take it seriously. Too cute for my tastes, I suppose.
coffee demon
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by coffee demon »

Welcome to the forum!

I'm surprised no one's already invited you into a game. Maybe people are hunkering down for the holidays. All I can say is, the site has been very popular since I've been here (over a year), and new games pop up all the time. If no one takes you into an existing game, I'll bet new ones will start up soon (in the new year, at the latest.)
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Raiko »

Hi Greene welcome to the forums, :D

I've got a vacancy in my Beyond the Mountains of Madness campaign, which sounds like exactly the sort of adventure that you are interested in.

The Campaign follows the Starkweather-Moore Expedition to the Antarctic of 1933, as they follow in the tragic footsteps of the 1931 Miskatonic Expedition (detailed in Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness).

Several members of the Miskatonic University Expedition died during a terrible storm in the foothills of the colossal Miskatonic Mountain Range. No one at that camp survived the storm, and the truth of what happened has never been made public.

Now this second expedition is following in the footsteps of the ill-fated MU Expedition - led by Captain James Starkweather, a charismatic and daring, (but also reckless and disorganised) English World-Explorer, and Professor William Moore a Miskatonic Anthropologist, and close friend of several of the dead.

During the preparations in New York, and during the long voyage to Antarctica the expedition has been beset by sabotage, murder and conspiracy, as well as Starkweather's personal rivalry with the glamorous female leader of a rival expedition. The expedition is now finally entering the Antarctic Circle, so this is an exciting time to join in.

You would have to take over an existing character - Isugtag Amaruq (Grey Wolf), an Inuit Polar Guide and the expedition's Sergeant-at-arms.

Isugtag has always been the strong silent type so far, although he has been involved in significant events. He should really come into his own once the expedition reaches the ice, but sadly his player Mr Juan hasn't been online for a while now.

Here's a link to his slightly out of date character sheet

I'll provide you with a synopsis of the campaign so far, if you're interested in taking Isugtag over.

I'll wait over the weekend for you to reply before I make a post in the "Existing Games Looking for Players" forum.

Important things that you'd need to know:

(1) I try to post every weekday and once over the weekend (although sometimes I'm sadly lacking), for this game I don't actually expect all the players to post at the same rate (although it's great if you can), but I do expect everyone to stay up to date, and to post within 24 hours when they're needed.

(2) During dramatic scenes / encounters failing to post within 24 hours could result in the death of your character. This worked very well for the recent 'storm scene' that we've just completed - I asked for volunteers a week or so before it began, and most of them came through; but absences by two of the volunteers lead to Isugtag getting a knock on the head, and more seriously the death of another player-character. However everyone involved in the scene enjoyed it thoroughly. :)

(3) The Campaign is very long, although the pace does steadily increase. We've been playing for over a year and are half way through chapter 5, I think there are another 12 chapters to go. Most of these chapters are shorter though, so we may get through most of them in another year or so.

(4) You don't need to have read At the Mountains of Madness to play this, in fact it's better if you haven't. However if you have read the book, then it's important that you let me know, it definitely won't spoil the campaign, but there is one scene where I need to know who has and who hasn't read the book.

(5) You don't need to read the whole game so far to join in, as I said earlier I'll provide you with a synopsis. I need to write one anyway, so you'd be doing me a favour.

(6) There's no further direct contact with civilisation until the survivors of the expedition return from Antarctica - so if Isugtag were to die you would need to take over a non-player-character (NPC), or drop out - there is no opportunity to create your own character. I've left many NPCs very much in the background though, so that anyone who takes them over has as much freedom as possible to define them.

I would have posted this for you earlier, but I was giving the player of the deceased character the first chance to take over Isugtag. :)
Greene
Layman
Layman

Post by Greene »

Hmm...alright, I'll try him out. Never read The Mountains of Madness, but I know a very short synopsis of the plot.

(And for the record, that was a "Hmm, this should be interesting" hmm, not a "Hmm, I'm not sure if I want to do this or not" hmm.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Welcome aboard then. :)

I'll try to get more useful details to you over the weekend, but I sometimes struggle to find time at weekend. If you don't hear from me, then I've not forgotten and you should receive the info on Monday.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Hi Greene,

I sent you a private message regarding Isugtag a couple of days ago, but you've not been logged in to read it since.

I'll give you until Saturday to read the PM and reply to me, otherwise I'll have to pass the chance onto someone else.

Sorry, but I really need someone to start playing Isugtag immediately, as he should be a very important character as soon as the expedition sets foot on the ice.

Return to “Players Looking For Games”