Chapter 1: New York City

At last the stars are almost right!

Soon Nyarlathotep's plans will come to fruition. Then the world will be changed irrevocably — but not quite yet. Pesky human investigators have learned much. Now they must survive long enough to make sense of what they know, and take resolute action.

Masks of Nyarlathotep is a Lovecraftian exercise in horror and mystery. This Call of Cthulhu roleplaying classic is a series of linked adventures forming one long and unforgettable campaign. Horrifying deeds and dangerous sorcery dog those who dare attempt to unravel the fate of the Carlyle Expedition

Moderator: Quatermass

RonaHattingh
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: Chapter 1: New York City

Post by RonaHattingh »

Marga feels for her friend, Amy. "Yes, we will help where we can." With Amy starting to cry again, Marga can only hold her until the bout of crying subsides. "We need to be strong for Jackson and our friends, Amy, they are going to need us now."
"With friends like this, who needs dynamite?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

"See if you can find a diary or his notes, there must be something he wrote down about all this."

Horatio then retrieves his hat and puts it back on and then frowns deeply as he looks at Jackson.

"Sorry about this, old boy."

He leans close to his friend's dead body and goes through his pockets, looking for anything that might help.
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy nods, sniffling again. "I'll try," she says to Marga. "This is the only way I can still help Jackson." She begins searching the room, checking the nightstands and the dresser, looking inside the drawers for anything that might be important.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Gerald checks for a travel log or tickets from Jackson's travels. If they can track his movements, they just might know who these thugs are working for. Even maps might tell something about where he's been.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Roger inspects Elias' luggage, trying to determine where he was traveling. Did he pack for a warm climate? A cold one? Did he expect to deal with humidity and rain? Did he bring something back from his travels?
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Wrapping up the quick search, Gerald pulls Marga out the room. "Let us greet the officers when they arrive." In the corridor, he adds. "I doubt it will look as we're all innocent up there. Might be good to just scrape by as bystanders." In the elevator down, he asks. "How are you, Dove?"
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Quatermass »

Searching the room, you find these items of interest.

A folded photograph

A business card with a name written on the back.

And a letter

Symbol Carved into Jackson's Forehead
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

The police arrive at the hotel room after Gerald and Margo met them in the lobby. Soon a police detective Poole comes on the scene and takes control of the situation.

Detective Poole

Your group is questioned and statements are taken. Detective Poole gets your names, addresses, and phone numbers. The two men that you captured are taken into custody and leave in a paddy wagon. Artemis's wound is treated and he goes to the hospital to get some stiches and is released. It is late in the evening when you are finally allowed to go. Your group stands on the street outside the Chelsea as Elias's body is taken out.

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

Horatio had spoken truthfully about Elias's whereabouts and what might have gotten him into his current predicament, theorising a run-in with an overzealous religious group and pointing out Jackson's past and publications. Of the clues they'd found, he'd made no mention.

Later, outside the hotel, Horatio takes off his hat in salute as Jackson's corpse is evacuated and he puts a hand on Amy's shoulder.

"He was truly one of the finest men I'd ever had the privilege of knowing, Miss Lawrence. The world is a darker place without him."
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

"I agree Horatio, he was especially kind to those of us where were just minor acquaintances in his life," he bowed his head as he held his hat in his hands as the body was taken away from the hospital. His jacket had a stain, and a hole in it, but it also had in its pockets the clues he had taken from the one man that he and Anderson had stopped. "I suggest we find a quiet room to have a drink, eat if anyone can even do so, and talk about what we know at this point."

Artemis gave Horatio a nod and wink.
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Post by kabukiman »

-Yes, we may not help him now, but maybe we can discover the reasons for this madness.- says Anderson.
RonaHattingh
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by RonaHattingh »

Marga holds onto Gerald's hand. She is in shock. Marga dimly hears Artemis talk about meeting somewhere to talk about what happened.

"Yes, I think it is a good idea and the drink a better idea."
"With friends like this, who needs dynamite?"
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Having just glanced at the documents briefly, Gerald says. "What I gleaned, this is most certainly having something to do with books found at Harvard Uni Library. Knowing Jackson, I'd bet my pipe on it." He gather the others in the corridor. "Ladies and gents, why not converge at Prospero House? We do need to bring the fact to Jonah Kensington speedily. Then he'd most probably let us have a room to shed some light on what's occurred."
TVblog

DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Jonah Kensington wasn't in town when I called earlier today. It might be more proper to go to a place where we get some refreshments and fortify our bodies as well as our minds."

Horatio put on his hat and muttered.

"I, for one, could sure use a stiff drink."

He then cleared his throat and looked up.

"Perhaps a refreshing walk to clear our noses while we talk? We can send a telegram to Prospero House once we've got our bearings straight."
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"I know a Blind Tiger on 25th Street. Ol' Joe's Trattoria. They have a mean a lá carte." Gerald suggests.
TVblog

Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

"Sounds great, lead the way," Artemis motioned with his walking stick as if to open the way forward towards Gerald and his proffered dressmaker.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy had tearfully answered the police's questions, telling them what little she had seen and knew. She walks along, feeling numb and lightheaded. "That sounds good to me too," she manages. "I think some good food will help. I've never had a drink in my life - Prohibition went into effect before I was old enough - but I could sure use one now, even if it's not exactly legal."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Overlord87 »

"Well, I sure would like a drink right now. Then we've got to decide our next move. Whoever did this has to pay".
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Gerald leads you the restaurant that he knows and you get a table in the back. It is late and it is not very busy. A few bills are passed to the waiter and a couple of wine bottles in brown paper bags appear at your table.

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy slides into her seat, completely drained. She folds her arms on the table, lowers her head onto them, and weeps.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Quatermass's Masks of Nyarlathotep”