Page 1 of 1

Chapter 1: New York City

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:21 pm
by Quatermass
Masks of Nyarlathotep - Chapter 1: New York City
East End, June 19th, 1924.

"Amongst my few playmates, I was very unpopular, since I would insist on playing out events in history or acting according to consistent plots.... The children I knew disliked them [and their] romping & shouting puzzled me. I hated mere play & dancing about....in my relaxations I always desired plot."
-H.P. Lovecraft, Letters.

George Atwell's parties where legendary and this one ranked up there in extravagance. George was a rich man. A very rich man. He had made his money in coffee. It was said he owned dozens of plantations in Central and South America. But he spent most of his time in New York and fancied himself as a intellectual. Well, he liked to spend time with those in academia hoping it would rub off. The party was in full swing, as a pair of men in fencing outfits circles and hacked at each others foils with wild abandon. The streamers that hung from the ceiling didn't help much as they got tangled in their blades. The crowd cheered and laughed as the men fought. The crowd itself was a who's who of the New York intellectual scene. There were scientists, writers, publishers, and entertainers of all types here.

Off in one corner sat Jackson Elias and Jonah Kensington. A bottle or real Scottish whiskey between them. All round where several other people who either watched the fencers, talked amongst themselves, or listened in on someone's conversation. Jackson smoked on his pipe and his eyes sparkled as he talked. "...now I was that close to opening up with my pistol on those vile men but if I did they would have swamped me for sure....." He pointed with gun like hand signal at one of the turbaned servants who where serving drinks and finger foods. He turned to a regard a handsome clean shaven man with a Stetson hat lined with the skin of cheetah in his hand who was standing nearby. "If it wasn't for Horatio here we wouldn't have gotten out alive."

Re: Chapter 1: New York City

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:31 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Gerald Thomson III, a table away from his publisher's table, sips on his Singapore Sling and patiently awaits the fencing to stop. Eager to hear his debutante performer, Marga, make an appearance on stage. After all, he had said to her that she would fit right in at a party like this. Now, he's hesitant to what she actually would pick as a number.

Thomson, being a rather weathered man has done his best to dress up smartly with top hat and classic tails.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:10 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga can feel her nerves playing around, but when she notices that everyone's attention are on the two men making a spectacle of themselves, she feels calmer and make ready to sing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fkxfdphuubq3 ... 9.mp3?dl=0

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 pm
by RonaHattingh
After her debut, she joins Gerald Thomson at his table.

"What did you think, Gerald, did I pass muster?"

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:30 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Thomson applauds the singing and bids Marga to sit by his table. "You most certainly do, my dove." He kisses her on the hand and listens in on the conversation at the table next to theirs. Bragging and comparing sizes of treasures and what not.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy Lawrence is wearing a lightweight red sleeveless summer dress that she bought especially for the occasion. It's a bit more daring than what she usually wears, but she really wants to look her best and make a strong impression on Jackson. It's been over a week since the last time she's seen him, which was hard for her to endure. She listens to his account with her full attention, hanging on his every word. A wide smile lights up her face, the cosmetics she applied this morning enhancing her natural beauty.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:56 am
by Ritterton

Artemis had been invited by one of his rather eccentric clients to what would be one of the most memorable events in his life - a party at New York socialite and coffee magnate George Atwell's as a reward for completing a rather complicated pedigree search. After spending a large sum on a new suit, and picking up his train ticket to Manhattan's Grand Central Station, Artemis had settled into reading the latest book from Jackson Elias. When he arrived at the Station, he caught a cab to the hotel where he was suppose to meet the client. However, when he checked in at the front desk of the Ansonia, a telegram was waiting for him. The client had been called away to Washington for a Senate hearing and apologized for not being able to introduce Artemis to Atwell personally. However, as a consolation, three nights at the Waldorf were now provided for along with a small bonus for expenses. Artemis was a bit taken aback, but grateful and left his overnight bag with the bell hop and set out on the town.

He eventually found his way to the party and a table on the edges of the room. Even with the expense he went to in getting the new suit, he was still very underdressed. He watched two men engage in fencing. When they were finished, a slightly lady in a striking evening gown moved to the microphone and sings. He was impressed with her style and voice. The evening was off to a great start for certain.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:13 am
by DrPeterson
Horatio turns back from observing the fight and laughs, shaking his head.

"Well it was only proper for me to get us out of that particular jam, old boy. If I had remembered the Swahili for "your wife is very beautiful" translates quite differently in the Bantu dialect of the Eastern Congo, we may have got a more hospitable welcome in the first place."

He takes a cigarette out of his coat and lights it.

"It did kind if escalate rather quickly after that, didn't it?", he adds with a roguish grin.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:41 am
by kabukiman
Anderson is drinking the whiskey, he doesn't know when he will be able to drink the strue stuf again... after a while he doesn't resist the curiosity and asks:
"And what were you kooking for? Some exotic cult or a rare object?"

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:08 pm
by Overlord87
Roger is sitting quietly, enjoying his cigar. By the standards he had in his youth, this is a tame party, but considering his lifestyle in the last few years... he can't help feeling a little out of place and overwhelmed. He realizes how quickly he has grown accostumed to solitude and shakes his head.

He listens as Elias talks about his adventures and smiles. As usual, a great storyteller. Roger leans back, closes his eyes and pictures the two men fighting for their lives, surrounded by bloodthirsty savages. Ah, if only I had 10 years... and maybe 50 kilograms... less. He hears a woman singing, her voice creating a beautiful accompaniment for Elias' tale.

Perhaps an evening like this, every now and then, is not so bad.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:41 pm
by Quatermass
kabukiman wrote:Anderson is drinking the whiskey, he doesn't know when he will be able to drink the strue stuf again... after a while he doesn't resist the curiosity and asks:
"And what were you kooking for? Some exotic cult or a rare object?"
Jackson looks over and smiles. "I was in the Belgian Congo trying to track down any leads on the Leopard Cult. A very nasty group that dress up in leopard skins and terrorize the locals. In some of their rites they even eat their captives. I met Horatio at the Gentleman's Club in Stanleyville. We ran into a gang of toughs looking for any signs of the cult."

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:46 pm
by kabukiman
"So did you find any proof of thaty sect? Or it was only a legend?" - asks Anderson

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:07 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Thomson tips his head at the lady in red by the Big Game Hunters' table, "Gerald Thomson III, at your service, miss?"
He makes a sweeping motion to the song bird at his own table, "My dove of a bird, the Nightingale of Capetown, Miss Maraga Mariz."

After a while of listening and conversing at the tables Thomson gets clear sober and a bit formal.

He raises an eyebrow to Kensington and whispers in confidence, "A word on the balcony, would you be so kind, sir?"

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:34 pm
by Quatermass
kabukiman wrote:"So did you find any proof of thaty sect? Or it was only a legend?" - asks Anderson
"Oh they are real alright. We crashed one of their meeting and were lucky to get out with our skins. They melted in to the hills before the authorities could get to them." says Jackson.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:52 pm
by kabukiman
"Well, I hope you take a rest for some time now. You can't expend all your lifes like that"- says Anderson taking another drink from a waiter

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:08 pm
by Quatermass
kabukiman wrote:"Well, I hope you take a rest for some time now. You can't expend all your lifes like that"- says Anderson taking another drink from a waiter
"Well that was several years ago and it is true I prefer to work in the field rather than a dusty library." He knods at Jonah. "If fact I am headed off to Africa in a week or so. No rest for the wicked." He takes a sip of his whiskey and glances over at Amy with a slight worried look.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:40 pm
by kabukiman
"Oh, I see."

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:03 pm
by Quatermass
Dave wrote:He raises an eyebrow to Kensington and whispers in confidence, "A word on the balcony, would you be so kind, sir?"
Jonah rises from his seat with a glass of whiskey in one hand and a cigar in the other. "Why of coarse, Gerald. I have heard all of Jackson's tall tales before." He says with a laugh. You both walk over to a large balcony overlooking the east river. It is a warm night with a slight breeze. Hazy cloulds streak the sky. A couple kiss on one end of the balcony and they are lost in each other's embrace.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:38 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis had watched the remarkable siren leave the stage to warm applause and let his eyes follow her back to the table of gentlemen she joined. As he scanned the table, he sat up a bit in his seat and realized that Jackson Elias was there at her table.

He reached for his cane, sold wood with its aged trench brass turned into the necessary pieces at top and point. I should at least say hello and thank him for taking time out of his busy life to respond to my occasional inquires. Yes, that would be appropriate, Artemis said to himself. He excused himself from the uninterested couple still sitting at his table, the others from the table were now mingling about or already departed for their next engagement.

Taking a second to get his proper balance, Artemis moved about the room and placed himself near Jackson's table.

"Mr. Jackson, pardon me, but I just had to come and thank you in person when I realized you were sitting here," Artemis said when a pause permitted. "Artemis Richter from Philadelphia," he attempted to extend a hand in such a manner as to not be too rude to anyone at the table.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:46 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Out on the balcony -

"Thank you for letting me lend your ears for a minute, Jonah. I'm planning spending spring in Casablanca, to get a change of scenery. I've stumbled upon some Foreign Legion diaries from the area and the weather is nice. That and a contact at the Office of Naval Intelligence have me considering an idea of searching for a hidden civilization in the sands of north western Africa. That is, should Prospero House consider keeping me on a retainer for researching the details I can get from my contacts. I would be really thankful. As you understand I can't give you much more to go on should you decline the proposition." Thomson lights a cigar while going through his speech in hindsight. I really should consider preparing those speeches prior to delivering them...

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:49 pm
by Quatermass
Ritterton wrote: "Mr. Jackson, pardon me, but I just had to come and thank you in person when I realized you were sitting here," Artemis said when a pause permitted. "Artemis Richter from Philadelphia," he attempted to extend a hand in such a manner as to not be too rude to anyone at the table.
Jackson rises and gives Atremis a strong handshake. "Richter. Oh I remember. We talke about 6 months ago about those strange symbols you saw in France during the war. I am sorry I couldnt help you very much, ancient languages are not my speciality. But, please sit with us."

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:03 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Out on the balcony-

Feeling bad as he abandoned his dove when introducing her to the red flapper by the table, Thomson considers making the balcony visit short and stumps out the cigar.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:51 pm
by RonaHattingh
Mara observes the open adoration on Amy's face.

It seems I need to have a little talk with the lady.

Mara walks up to the table where Amy is seated.

"Gentlemen, will you please excuse us ladies, we need to visit the Powder room."

Mara gives a gentle smile to Amy, waiting for her to follow her to the nearest Powder room.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:48 pm
by Overlord87
Roger, silent but observant as usual, had also noticed just how deeply Amy was lovestruck. It was probably not his place to interfere in any way,even though the girl was obviously in for a lot of troubles. Man like Elias... they are a gift to humanity, in a way, but are not made for love or settling down with a woman. While pondering on the best course of action, the singer came along and took the girl out for a talk. Well,better this way, I suppose. A female touch and all the rest. I've never been a smooth talker anyway.

Roger turns his attention towards Anderson, who was talking with Elias earlier. Well, no harm in doing some small talk, I suppose.

He flashes his most amiable smile. "So, you're an acquaintance of Elias as well, if I understand correctly. Nice to meet you. My name is Roger J. Edwards. I work with Elias from time to time. What he does is really remarkable... he helps lots of people".

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:18 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis smiled as the two shook hands and then sat back down at the table. "Yes sir, the same, and thank you for remembering," Richter said as he took the seat offered. "Truly grateful for the occasional help over the past few years as well, sir. Was even reading your book The Black Power on the train from Philadelphia. Still trying to keep aware of such things, even though my occasional research client is more interested in their ancestor's good history and such. Can't complain about it though, when the perks include attending a party such as this is truly a lifetime event for such as me."

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 pm
by DrPeterson

Horatio looks rather worried following Elias's announcement.

"Are you sure about that, Jackson? I hope you're getting yourself a decent guide, my friend. I'd hate to see that entire Congo business repeat itself without me around to help you out of any scraps you get into. I'd join you if I could, but I'm tied up with these lectures."

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll be with you in a minute," says Amy to Marga before returning her attention to Jackson Elias. "Surely you can't mean to go to Africa all by yourself, Jackson," says Amy, hoping desperately for an opening. "You could use a good research assistant! I was accepted to Columbia for postgraduate work as my father's research assistant, but I don't start right away. I can go with you first and get some real world experience. You could use someone to dig up information in musty old libraries so you don't have to, and having a pretty young lady by your side who's good at talking to people can help smooth the way for you. Plus I make a great cup of coffee!"

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:26 am
by RonaHattingh
"Can't the girl be more obvious?" Marga gives a sigh of exasperation. Marga can see that Jackson is a bit uncomfortable even though he doesn't show it to the others, but if you look carefully, you can see the signs. She waits patiently for Jackson to answer Amy.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:45 am
by kabukiman
"Yes, he is really quite amazing. And blessed with luck. Sometimes I tell him I should bring him to some of my excavations to see if I find something else besides pottery"- says Anderson as a joke.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:12 pm
by Quatermass
Jackson shakes his head. "Now now. I am a grown man and I can take care of myself." He says with a chuckle. He then looks at Amy. "I can't pull you away from your studies to follow me through the African brush. Plus what would your father say. I have a idea for a new book and I am just doing some preliminary work. I don't plan on being away long."

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:17 pm
by Quatermass
Dave wrote:Out on the balcony -

"Thank you for letting me lend your ears for a minute, Jonah. I'm planning spending spring in Casablanca, to get a change of scenery. I've stumbled upon some Foreign Legion diaries from the area and the weather is nice. That and a contact at the Office of Naval Intelligence have me considering an idea of searching for a hidden civilization in the sands of north western Africa. That is, should Prospero House consider keeping me on a retainer for researching the details I can get from my contacts. I would be really thankful. As you understand I can't give you much more to go on should you decline the proposition." Thomson lights a cigar while going through his speech in hindsight. I really should consider preparing those speeches prior to delivering them...
Jonah smiles. "Now Thomson, I know your good for it. Your last two books did quite well. I am sure I can arrange a advance on your next book. Come over to the office tomorrow and we can sign some papers and get you your advance."

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:34 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Thomson shakes on the understanding the two men just came to terms with. Then he joins Kensington back to the table. He gives the ensemble of Elias' courtesy nods and winks as he takes his seat. While doing so, he scans the room for Marga and the girl in red.

He listens in on the current thread of thought in the conversation with ample participation.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:40 pm
by Overlord87
kabukiman wrote:"Yes, he is really quite amazing. And blessed with luck. Sometimes I tell him I should bring him to some of my excavations to see if I find something else besides pottery"- says Anderson as a joke.
Roger smiles widely. "An archaelogist? Fascinating!". There is pure curiosity on his face, perhaps an expression more suited to a child than to a man in his forties. "So you've traveled around the world, like our friend Elias. Where was your last expedition?"

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy persists, refusing to give up. Not being able to see him for however long he'd be away would be unbearable for her. "Well, if you're not going to be away long, that's not a problem," she says. "My first semester at Columbia doesn't start until September. And I think my father would be happy for me to have this opportunity. I've been in the field before, on the dig in the Yucatan. Please, take me with you, Jackson," she implores.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:00 am
by RonaHattingh
"For heaven's sake, can't the girls see, he doesn't want to take her with him." Marga starts tapping her foot in irritation.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:39 am
by Dave Syrinx
Hearing the acid in Marga's voice, Thomson leans in. "Don't make this meet to Blood River, we're among friends. Another drink, maybe?" His voice is rather hushed but still audible to the party around them. "Incidentally, I came to an agreement with Kensington. The tickets are all but paid for. Morocco and Casablanca will be next port of call, dove." He smiles at his table lade.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:49 am
by kabukiman
Overlord87 wrote:
kabukiman wrote:"Yes, he is really quite amazing. And blessed with luck. Sometimes I tell him I should bring him to some of my excavations to see if I find something else besides pottery"- says Anderson as a joke.
Roger smiles widely. "An archaelogist? Fascinating!". There is pure curiosity on his face, perhaps an expression more suited to a child than to a man in his forties. "So you've traveled around the world, like our friend Elias. Where was your last expedition?"
"In the Yucatan, digging a mayan city. Well, just part of it, the place was huge, and as soon as we finished digging a royal tomb, the raining season started and we had to finish the expedition. But the place had already been sacked, probably after some war in ancient times and we only found some pottery. But I'm trying to get some funds to make in the near future an expedition to egypt."

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:55 pm
by RonaHattingh
Dave wrote:Hearing the acid in Marga's voice, Thomson leans in. "Don't make this meet to Blood River, we're among friends. Another drink, maybe?" His voice is rather hushed but still audible to the party around them. "Incidentally, I came to an agreement with Kensington. The tickets are all but paid for. Morocco and Casablanca will be next port of call, dove." He smiles at his table lade.
"I don't have anything against her, Gerald, but to carry your heart on your sleeve with someone who isn't interested is so.......humiliating. And I know, did it a few years back, it can only lead to tears and heartache, if she isn't already experiencing both." Marga takes a seat. "Where is that extra drink? I think I will have a talk with her later."

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:25 pm
by Dave Syrinx

Listening to the war stories, Thomson hijacks Marga's drinking hand and stands up. "Does foxtrot become you, pray tell? Or better yet, show the world. We seem to have world renowned experts gallore at our tables tonight." Thomson makes a rather poor dancing partner but an erect back and stern look weighs up for the lack in ballroom expertise.

At the dance floor he continues, "Is any of the Elias Jackson entourage to your liking? One that would comfort you in our stay unfolding the mysteries of Morocco?"
He ponders what reason they might have to linger and starts to prefer an early bed to ensure an early rise and meet at Prospero House the following day. "I'm considering retiring for the evening and would be devastated to see you all alone for the night. Whom would you want me to hand you over to?"

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:43 pm
by RonaHattingh
"Do you have to go? The evening is still young and you haven't told me what you like and dislike about my performance." Marga pout her lips a bit in pique. Not to much, because she knows Gerald will not fall for her womanly wiles.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:10 pm
by Dave Syrinx

"It's not your singing, it's being with you that makes me happy. Your voice is what grounds me. Keeps me stable. You know, that smile of yours make my knees as weak as an old man's." Thomson smiles again. It's one of those nights where everything turns out the right way.

"Your presence, was the best with your performance. Even should I've been deaf, I'd loved your singing. And you know it."

He hugs her and complies with her wishes and joins her at the tables again.

Sitting, he removes his hat and pats his brow with a red handkerchief from his breast pocket. "This girl is more fierce than the Turks of Asia Minor."
He sighs. "I remember Mycene in 1876. Schliemann had just unearthed the mask of Agamemnon. That was when I was a mere assistant aid cataloging the finds. We had moved from grave four at the alpha site. That moment made me think of the King Midas myth." He adds, "That was when I knew I was on the correct course. My first steps on the silk road, Now, my last steps will be on the north African sands of the Casablanca outback."

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:40 pm
by Overlord87

Hearing Thomson speak, Roger laughs a little. "It feels like everybody here has some fascinating tale to tell... except me. Ah, I feel old...", then he eyes Thomson, "although perhaps this is not a matter of age, but rather of attitude. I should probably say that I feel ashamed of my laziness". Roger smiles and puffs some smoke. "Elias, my friend, perhaps you should take me to Congo... if the plane can withstand the extra weight, that is".

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:34 pm
by Quatermass
"Oh its not the Congo this time. I am off to Nairobi." Jackson says. He then looks at Amy with a expression of fondness tinged with exasperation.

A phonograph starts to play and several partygoers start to dance. Jackson seeing that stands and takes Amy's hand. "Care to dance." he says with a sly smile.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy's face brightens considerably. "I'd be delighted," she says, letting Jackson lead her out onto the dance floor.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:23 am
by Ritterton
Artemis watched the besmitten grad student nearly jump at Jackson's offer of a dance. With the injury to his leg, dancing was no longer a real possibility if there was ever an interest.

Mr. Edwards, If you don't mind my asking, what type of work do you do? Artemis asked hoping to learn a bit more about the individuals who walked in Jackson's social circles.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:22 am
by kabukiman
-It may seem fascinating this stories when we are safe in a place like this. But when we are in the jungle with the locals trying to shoot you, and the malaria and other enemies that can kill you, all you ask yourself is what you are doing there. - says Anderson to Roger.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:37 pm
by DrPeterson
Horatio laughs at Anderson's remark.

"It seems the troubles around the tropic are similar, no matter which continent one visits."

He takes another drag from his cigarette.

"Though I must admit, archaeology isn't really my cup. There's not enough life in it. I prefer the study of living things. They are much more fascinating."
He grins roguishly, and looks around the table, his eyes holding Marga's a bit longer than the rest.

"And Nairobi's a nice enough place, it's gotten a lot better now we've driven the Boche from her borders. The King's Rifles keep her safe now."

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:55 pm
by Quatermass
Amy and Jackson take to the dance floor and begin to foxtrot.

After a few minutes of dancing, Jackson says. "Now, I want you get that silly idea of coming with me to Africa out of your head. If this idea pans out I could be gone for months and you have your schooling to consider."

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:39 pm
by Overlord87
Ritterton wrote:Artemis watched the besmitten grad student nearly jump at Jackson's offer of a dance. With the injury to his leg, dancing was no longer a real possibility if there was ever an interest.

Mr. Edwards, If you don't mind my asking, what type of work do you do? Artemis asked hoping to learn a bit more about the individuals who walked in Jackson's social circles.

"Well, I guess that you could say that my work involves excavations, too", Roger chuckles a little. "Only I don't recover potteries, nor ancient artifacts, but rather plant seeds. I'm a farmer. I have some land not far from New York. You can understand now why, perhaps a little unwisely, I could seek the chance to shake things up a little." He smiles, puffing some more smoke from his cigar.

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Lots of students take a break after finishing their undergraduate education before starting grad school," says Amy, fighting back despair at the prospect of not seeing Jackson for months on end. "I can always start at Columbia next year, and field work is educational too. Or if you absolutely insist and it takes too long, I can return home in time to start the fall semester, so long as I get to go with you for the first couple of months. It's no more silly for me to want to go to Africa than it is for you." Her eyes start to moisten as she realizes that there seems to be no convincing him. At the same time, it occurs to her that he seems to be holding something back. "There's something you're not telling me. Why don't you want me to come with you?"

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:35 am
by RonaHattingh
Marga sits and let the conversation sink into her skin, playing lazily with Gerald's hand with both of her hands, while keeping an eye on Amy and Jackson on the dance floor. The girl suddenly looked so sad, that it wants to bring a tear to Marga's eye, then Amy perks up, as if she suddenly realized something. "I wonder what that is about?" Marga thought curiously.

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:06 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Mirroring, projecting, is that Freud? We all seem to do it. Like the herd of beasts we are. Pretending to be all civilized. In the darkness - we all are killers. Even farmers and damsels." Thomson thinks this to himself while engaging in the slight of hand with Marga. "I hear you, mr Rogers was it? I guess we all are a bit taken by the news of African plans. In spite of my promise to stay further, I'm afraid I need a good night sleep. I'm not the man I used to be. Enjoy your evening, gentlemen."

He politely sits and wait for the dancing couple to regain their places and keeps Marga's hands in a tighter grip to calm her nerves.

"You know the feeling of rejection, dove."

Despite the age difference the two had been a couple, that's true. "I wouldn't leave you, that you know. I might be away for short or forever, but I'd never leave you."

To Kensington, Thomson nudges his top hat in a fashion to bid the editor a good night. He cranes his neck to see wether the lady in red and the prominent author are inbound.

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:24 pm
by Quatermass
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"There's something you're not telling me. Why don't you want me to come with you?"
He looks into his eyes with a serious face. "I don't work with dusty pottery. I study people and they can be dangerous. You know that. While I don't expect any trouble I couldn't live with myself if something should happen to you." He pulls Amy close. "When I come back, I promise to make time for us. You can play housewife as I write my book. After we make it legal that is."

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:33 pm
by kabukiman
Well, there is an interesting crowd in this party- says Anderson pretending he isn't noticing Amy and Jackson

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:14 pm
by Ritterton
"Africa, really, so Jackson is heading to Africa on an expedition? Was he asking for recruits this evening," Artemis asked. Having come late to the table, Artemis hoped to learn more of the author's plans.

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:27 pm
by RonaHattingh
"I know, Gerald, I don't know what it is with me tonight. Maybe Jackson and Amy hits too close to home." Reluctantly Marga let Gerald's hand slide out of hers. "I am going to stick around a little bit longer and see where the conversation leads to."

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:38 pm
by Dave Syrinx

"He's been little revealing about the specifics. I'll see if I can keep some kind of contact with him from Morocco over in January."

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:10 pm
by kabukiman
I doubt Jackson will take anyway unless it's an old friend that he can trust. There are too much risks involved.

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:03 pm
by Overlord87

"Well, I was obviously joking. It's true that I'm settling too much into a routine, recently, but Africa, right away... I'll gladly let Elias take care of the bad guys there. If he needs help, I'm sure he'll let us know. But me... I would probably just slow him down". Roger makes a gesture to emphasize his considerable mass. "Although I guess I could block a bullet or two, if need be". He laughs again. "But if any of you gentlemen is interested in a less interesting, but far more safe expedition nearby, I'd gladly invite you hunting in my lands. I have some ground I leave just for that and there's enough game for a few people. What do you say?"

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:16 pm
by Dave Syrinx
At the invitation, Thomson looks invigorated. "Some grouse hunting or pheasant would be a good sport. Over christmas maybe? I'd gladly accompany you, sir."

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:23 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Thomson leans in on Marga and whispers: "Horatio here is seemingly smitten by your voice or your visage. But you knew that already."

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:58 am
by Ritterton
"That would be a great way to spend a day, but I didn't bring any hunting type clothing, well I did for hunting documents in archives and libraries," Richter grinned at his own joke. " But, I think Roger, I could at least pick up some sporting gear and boots, probably not a shotgun though."

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:05 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy is overwhelmed by a confused jumble of emotions. Her first instinct, which she follows, is to squeeze Jackson tight and kiss him for all she's worth. Then, when she has a moment to think, she realizes that he might never come back because of the danger. She might be able to survive not seeing him for months on end, but she didn't know how she'd cope with never seeing him again. "Please be careful," she says, struggling to contain her tears. "I couldn't bear if anything happened to you either. I love you, Jackson. I'll miss you so much. Knowing what I'm waiting for will help me get through however long you're away, Months without seeing you...But we can still write to each other! I'll give you my address, and once you're settled in, you could write me a letter with a return address so I can reply." She lights up at the thought that they won't be completely out of contact. Her emotions have been going up and down like a rollercoaster, and she's relieved that things are finally leveling. "I'll wait for you as long as it takes, so long as we're together in the end."

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:40 pm
by kabukiman
"That's an interesting proposition. But I don't have any equipement."

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:59 pm
by Overlord87

"Nothing special required, just a good pair of boots. I have a couple of hunting rifles, we can take turns taking shots. Anyway, we can arrange a date a couple of weeks from now, so there would be time to prepare for all of you".

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:33 pm
by Quatermass
Jackson and Amy return from the dance floor hand in hand, smiling, and laughing.

Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:40 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Mr Elias, I'm wishing you the best for your next endeavor. I'm retiring for the evening. Till our paths intertwine again..." He shakes the author's hand and tilts his hat at the lady in red. "Miss."

With that, the elder author leaves the party and exits the building.
Hailing a coach is next.

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Amy Lawrence," says Amy to the author with a smile.

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:29 am
by Dave Syrinx

"Delightful." He comments and as he leaves. A bronze headed walking stick lifted in a salute to the crowd he theatrically pays adieu "Blood and kisses."

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:34 pm
by DrPeterson

Horatio lights up at Roger's proposal.

"I'd be delighted. It's been far too long since I've fired a rifle, let alone trudged through the mud of the America's."

He smiles as the two return in a happier state than they left.

"Welcome back, you two. Care for another drink?"

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:22 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga plays idly with her drink and ponders Gerald's comment about her knowing about Horatio fondness of her voice and Amazonian type of body. When the two dancers exit the dance floor, she can see they are much happier. Marga is glad it seems to work out for the two.

"Please, excuse me, gentlemen." Marga gives Amy an apologetic smile. "Tonight's performance was more draining than I thought, next time I will visit a bit longer " With that Marga gives Horatio a naughty wink. " I am leaving to seek my bed."

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:09 pm
by Quatermass
It starts to get late and the party begins to break up. Though it will be spoken of for weeks to come as great fun. Everyone says their fairwells and returns to their homes or hotel rooms.

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:12 pm
by Ritterton
"Sounds like a wonderful idea, Roger, count me in for sure. Richter felt that such a trip was a bit of an extravagance, but it would allow him to keep in contact with Jackson's friends and in turn that may lead to some adventure, if not an occasional project to pursue. He hands Roger his card and says his good nights leaving the party with a bit more of a smile than when he first arrived. He was not too far of a walk to his hotel, and so with his cane and a bit of a smile he headed out into the bustle of the night. "All in all, it was a good night," he said to himself.

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good night," Amy says to Marga. "I'm sorry we never got a chance to talk, but perhaps another time. You were really good!" She then faces Horatio. "Thank you, but...um...I don't actually drink alcohol. I never have. It's not legal. I don't even want to know where you got it. It's better I don't drink, anyway. It would probably go straight to my head!" I'm giddy enough as it is! she thinks. "Although, I wouldn't turn down a soda."

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:23 pm
by Overlord87

Roger can't suppress a yawn, covering his mouth with one hand. "Well, I suppose it's time for me to go as well. I'm not quite used to staying up so late anymore. It was nice meeting you all, it was a pleasant evening. I will get to see some of you soon, I hope, when we go hunting. Elias, my friend, have a safe trip. Good night".

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:45 pm
by DrPeterson
"I love the night. It is the time when the savannah comes to life and the most dangerous of predators stalk their prey."

Horatio smiles at the lingerers on.

"A soda for you as well, Mrs. Marga?"

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:29 am
by kabukiman
Anderson thanks Roger for the invitation and accept it. Maybe he could get a sponsor to the the expedition he is trying to organize to egypt?

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:56 pm
by Quatermass
June 25th, 1924

Jackons Elias leaves New York bound for Nairobi, Kenya.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:27 pm
by Quatermass
New York City, New York
January 15, 1925

The party recides into the past as the seasons turn. Summer ends followed by a pleasent New York fall only to hearld a bitterly cold winter. Marga star is rising as singer the Zigfield Follies on broadway. Horatio has finished his lecture tour and his book is selling like hotcakes. Amy studies at Columbia University as she works on her Master's degree though Jackson is never far from her thoughts. Roger's farm produces a bumber crop and his books are in the black for a change. Thomson prepares for his trip to North Africa though with it being months away he takes his time doing it. Micheal also continues his studies and works closely with Amy's father Professor Lawrence. Artemis returned to Philadelphia but travels on business to New York frequently.

Washington Hotel

Horatio is reading a newspaper in the lobby of his hotel. He has a few errands to run but the cold blowing snow outside keeps him inside the warm hotel for now. A young boy in a blue uniform with a cap strides though the lobby calling Horatio's name. Getting his attention the young boy hands Horatio a telegram. Taking a small tip the boy leaves and Horatio opens the telegram.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:50 pm
by Dave Syrinx
At pier 18, Thomson is sorting crates at a warehouse and is checking departure schedules for the Mediterranean.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:20 pm
by RonaHattingh
"Gerald, dear. Do you really think this crate is necessary for the expedition?" Marga looks disdainfully down at a crate full of musty old blankets.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:54 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"There's always a purpose and meaning, even for the simplest of things. Not everything knows its worth, though." He uses a hammer to nail the crate shut. Besides, I need the Rye that's on the bottom of the crate for customs.

At that he says, "Time to call it a day. A cab to the hotel for me. Want a ride to Amy's place?"

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy Lawrence sits at her writing desk in her apartment in a brownstone not far from Columia University's campus. She has done all right during her first semester as a graduate student in the fall, completing her coursework and helping her father with his research. Her second semester has recently started, and she is busy studying already. However, she finds it hard to get into her studies, for her mind often strays to thoughts of Jackson Elias, wondering where he is, what he is doing, and when she will finally get to see him again. His letters had been vague, with only the most tantalizing of hints about his activities. His absence had been prolonged, but she knows that it is because he is onto something very important.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:59 am
by Ritterton

With the occasional postcard, Artemis stayed in touch with Roger and Horatio following the successful hunt.

When Horatio swung into Philadelphia, he caught up with the rather well received author, adventurer and even managed to convince his mother Appolonia to attend one of the author's evening lectures and purchase one of Horatio's books. For weeks following that outing, Appolonia shared with her various friends at church tidbits from the book and the lecture where she met "one of Artemis' friends, he even went hunting with him."

Artemis found himself traveling to New York more frequently haven taken small research assignments and dealing in some estate liquidations that gave him an excuse to visit New York.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:45 am
by DrPeterson

Horatio puts down his cup of tea as he reads Elias's telegram. He looks over the telegram again. Carlyle Expedition...he was sure he'd heard the name somewhere before, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.
Looking outside at the wintry weather for a moment, he feels a shiver run down his spine and he gets up and walks to the desk of the hotel, taking a few telegram forms and a pencil to fill them in.
Stokes's Telegram, "dear friend of jackson STOP our mutual friend is in need of help STOP contact me at the washington hotel NY STOP discretion advised"
He hands the telegram over to send to the company and goes back to his paper, mulling over the news in his mind.

After a few minutes, Horatio gets up and walks over to one of the phone booths.

"Operator, Jonah Kensington at Prospero House, please."

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:06 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson keep in touch with his new friends after the hunt. He is still in the university, preparing his classes.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:18 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Finding out that there's a message for him at the desk of the Hotel, Thomson pays his tab and thanks for the stay. He compliments the service and tells the desk clerk that he's cutting the stay short and is off to check out the expedition site in Morocco before the cargo arrives. Talking to the officials at Casablanca in person and all that. Beats sending a telegram.

Then, he enjoys a slow walk to the Washington Hotel. Carrying his small overnight luggage, he stops by at Amy's apartment.

He knocks on the door.

"Miss Amy, is Marga here? We have a meeting at another place. Bring your coats. And, you are joining us. More on the matter when we get there."

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:07 pm
by Overlord87

Roger was living his usual, calmly uneventful life. It was a cold day of january, with nothing to do on the fields. Nature was dormant, the trees were barren and the sky gray. Yet, this was Roger's favorite season. He loved to walk around in the still, clean, cold air of winter. Feel the world holding its breath as it waited for spring. And that's what he was doing that morning, a short walk in the fields, accompanied by his three hunting dogs. Everything was going well until Luna, the younger of the three, a female Labrador of 2 years, came running to him, her tail moving like crazy. She reached Roger's feet and let a dead raven fall from her mouth. It was horrible... the raven had surely been dead for days, maybe weeks, and was in advanced decomposition.The stench was terrible but what was mostly disturbing was its single eye, that seemed fixed on Roger, and watching.
It was not an impossible occurrence. The raven was not shot by Roger, but perhaps Luna had found its dead body and decided to bring it to Roger. Nothing that strange. Nothing that strange... and yet, it left Roger troubled and anxious. It felt like a bad omen. The way the dead raven seemed to be watching him, as if it was delivering a message. A message of terrible things coming, bad luck and misfortune. Roger suddenly felt the chill of winter, and decided to head back home.

Hours later, he received the telegram.
Previously said:   dear friend of jackson STOP our mutual friend is in need of help STOP contact me at the washington hotel NY STOP discretion advised  
His thoughts rushed back to the dead raven. The bad omen. But he shook his head. Ah, Roger, Roger, you're getting old. That won't do. You always knew that Jackson was going to get into trouble sooner or later, and now you've got to help him. Like he helped you. First of all, let's go to the washington hotel and find out just in what kind of trouble Elias has managed to get himself into.

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:27 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga grabs her coat with one hand and Amy with her other hand. She could hear the urgency in Gerald's voice.

"We are coming, hold your horses!"

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:11 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"We have a meeting with the charmer, Horatio Strokes."
He waits in the hallway for the two ladies to emerge from the apartment.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:03 am
by Ritterton
Artemis came back from New York Public Library with a smile on his face. One of the estate items he was trying to verify was an American Revolutionary War document that had the signatures of Alexander Hamilton and Jonathan Trumball while the Colonial Army was at Valley Forge. With the assistance of both the New York Public Library's Special Collections department, and a stop at the newly made public Morgan Library, he was able to confirm the signatures as genuine. While the simple document, a transfer of documents from Trumball to Hamilton, was not highly valuable at the time, the Sesquicentennial of the Revolution was a year away had heightened both the interest in such documents and their value. The elderly widow he was helping, at his mother's request, would be very grateful learning that Sotheby's already was interested in placing the document in its Spring auction. They had agreed to have his work affirmed and had taken the document into their possession for review and photographing. Even with his minor fees and costs, the widow would be able to enjoy many years without much to worry about.

He walked into the lobby of the Cosmopolitan, one of the oldest hotels in the City, but one well within the budget of his client as it was a businessman's hotel. He stopped at the front desk and asked if there were any messages under his name. The teenager helping turned and said, "Yes, sir, a telegram came a bit earlier for you. It's right here." The young man seemed to move slowly with bringing the correspondence up to the desk and Richter fished out four bits for a tip. When the coins hit the counter top, the young man's speed increased dramatically.

He unfolded the yellowish paper and read the contents.
dear friend of jackson STOP our mutual friend is in need of help STOP contact me at the washington hotel NY STOP discretion advised
He looked at it a couple of times and realized that the request from Horatio had been sent only a few hours ago. He must have gotten some word about Jackson earlier today, as he made no mention of this when we met yesterday, Richter thought to himself.

"Sir, sir," the young man's voice broke Richter's attention. "Will there be anything else?"

"No, no, thank you though, I may need to eat on my way to visit an old colleague," Richter said with a soothing tone and smile. This time he pulled out four quarters from his pocket and passed them to young man. In doing so, he raised a single finger to his lips and winked as he held up the telegram and folded it into his coat pocket. The young man returned the nod and the wink.

"A late night then sir, you can count on me this evening as I am on the desk. Enjoy dinner" The young man winked with a bit of a smile. Richter chuckled as he realized that the young man assumed that he was probably going to see a female companion. Let him have his amusements, Richter thought as he turned back and walked out into the streets with his cane aiding his efforts.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let me get my coat first, Marga," says Amy, grabbing it on her way out of the apartment. "What's up?"

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:40 am
by RonaHattingh
"Well, it seems Gerald here, is taking us to a meeting with Horatio, that must mean something concerning Jackson." Marga can see joy wants to overwhelm Amy. "Caution, Amy, what did I tell you about showing emotions too easily, especially in front of men like Jackson?"
Amy bows her head and shrug her shoulders. Marga sighs in frustration. "Ai, Amy. Men like Jackson needs to concentrate on their work, they need a strong, independent woman, not someone who with a drop of a hat, falls down because their emotions overwhelms them. Be strong, doesn't matter what you hear tonight?" After Amy's affirmative nod, they leave the apartment with Gerald.

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:25 pm
by Quatermass
DrPeterson wrote:
"Operator, Jonah Kensington at Prospero House, please."
You get Jonah's secretary Judith. She says Jonah is out of town seeing relatives in Boston but he should be back in a couple of days.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:04 am
by DrPeterson

"If you'd be so kind as to tell him I called, Judith, I'd be much obliged. Cheerio then." Horatio did his best to smile through the telephone, but the contraption just didn't rest well with him.

He puts down the phone and goes back to his seat, ordering a new pot of Oolong on the way.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"There are no men like Jackson," says Amy, unable to hold back a blissful smile as she follows Marga. "He's one of a kind."
OOC,You might not want to assume the actions of other characters, especially other PCs.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:24 am
by Dave Syrinx
Arriving at Washington Hotel, Thomson looks through the vaulted windows of the ground floor and is amazed how massive the building looks. He Lights a pipe and leans towards the facade next to the hotel banner. He nods at a hotel portier at the entrance. His long strides has taken him to George Washington Hotel a few moments before the ladies.

Tobacco always helped him wind down. And he felt he might need this for what were to come.

Was he even at the correct address?

23 Lexington Avenue

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:36 am
by RonaHattingh
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,You might not want to assume the actions of other characters, especially other PCs.
OOC,Sorry,Mr Handy, won't happen again. And should have known Amy wouldn't listen to Marga. :roll:
"And off he goes, come Amy, it seems Gerald expects us to run him down in high heels."

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Oh, I'm not wearing high heels now," says Amy. "I wear more comfortable shoes when I'm just staying at home and studying, and I didn't have time to change. I'm young and athletic enough that I can keep up with him." She hurries after Gerald, practically skipping.
OOC,That's okay. :)

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:44 am
by RonaHattingh
"Oh, you little know-it-all." Marga thought, taking off her high heels and hurrying after Amy and Gerald.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:24 am
by Dave Syrinx
Drawing in his pipe, Thomson smiles at the ladies.
"After you ladies."

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Amy, grinning back. "You're a real gentleman." She strides ahead.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:55 am
by Ritterton
Realizing that the distance to the Washington was going to take quite some time, Artemis headed to City Hall and searched for the subway sign indicating the Broadway route as it would make the trip one that could be done in substantially less time. He purchased the tokens he needed from the purser at the little booth and entered the tiled tunnels. His mind pondered what the nature of trouble Jackson could have gotten into as he waited for the next train. After various horrific scenarios crossed through his mind, he boarded the car and listened to the conductor shout out the various upcoming stops listening for the 23rd Street station.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:06 am
by RonaHattingh
"Thaank yooouuu, Gerald." Marga is a little out of breath, she realises she needs to get more physical exercise. Taking a deep breath to stabilize her heart rate she enters the room.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:12 pm
by Overlord87

It's not an easy task to reach the center of New York from the countryside, especially when you're in a hurry, but with some luck and a couple of generous tips, Roger manages to reach the Washington hotel in just a few hours. As he enters the main hall, he looks around, checking for familiar faces.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:52 am
by Ritterton
When he heard the conductor shout out for the upcoming 23rd Station, Artemis stood up and steadied himself with the cane and headed to the door stepping carefully off the train with some level of care. He made his way up to the street level, got his bearings and headed east along 23rd Street passing various businesses. He tipped his hat to those who were his elders and smiled at those that were his younger. He grabbed a hot dog along the way, at least he could have something to eat and it gave him a chance to take a bit of a break. He passed by the Church of St. Vincent de Paul, then Madison Park, and on to Lexington where he headed north to the hotel. He entered the lobby and looked to see if anyone was there that looked familiar.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:19 am
by DrPeterson
Horatio smiles at the new arrivals and beckons them over to the lounge area where he is seated.

"Ah, friends, please be seated."

He is all smiles and beckons for more tea to be brought.

"Ah, Mr. Thomson and the lovely misses Lawrence and Maritz., I trust the weather wasn't too uncomfortable? It does look ghastly out. And look there, if it isn't Mr. Edwards."

Horatio waves Roger over and offers him a seat as well.

Just when he's about to greet Roger more extendly, Artemis arrives and Horatio calls him over as well. He'd gotten quite fond of both men after their hunting trip and had kept in close touch with them.

"Mr. Richter! Have no fear, you are amply on time!Glad to see you could make it."

Having seated everyone, he sits down as well and smiles.

"Now all we need is for Dr. Anderson to arrive and our party will be complete. I hope I didn't cause too much of an uproar with my telegram, but it forces brevity on ones words and that seldom allows for clarity. I have received a similar telegram from our mutual friend and acquaintance Jackson Elias in which he mentions his need for a reliable group of people with certain talents, discretion being one of them. Since you are the only people I know in this country that are also close to Jackson, I sent for you."

Horatio pulls Elias's telegram from his coat pocket and put it in the middle of the table.

"Feel free to read for yourselves, but it says that Jackson should be arriving later today and that he'd be in touch. I'm afraid, you've all matched him for speed."

He grins at the latter.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:52 am
by Overlord87

Roger walks towards the others, smiling: "Good afternoon, ladies, gentlemen". He sits, sighing heavily: "I'm not used to running around like this anymore, at my age. Can I see?", he quickly reads the telegram. "Well, I'm relieved to see that Elias does not seem to be in any direct and immediate danger. Forgive my ignorance, what is the Carlyle Expedition?"

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:21 pm
by Quatermass
Overlord87 wrote:Image

Roger Forgive my ignorance, what is the Carlyle Expedition?"
Amy,She thinks she remembers reading about a Carlyle Expedition that when to Egypt a few years ago.
Horatio,You remember hearing about a Carlyle expediton that got themselves butchered in the Kenyean highlands several years back.
Artemis,Roger Carlyle, the rich playboy. Didn't he fund a expediton that got themselves killed in Africa about 5 years ago?

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:37 pm
by Ritterton
"I seem to remember that Caryle was a rather wealthy chap, used his money to fund some ill-fated expedition a few years back," Artemis shared with Roger and the group. "Lost in Africa, I think. But why would Jackson be interested in their loss?"

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:45 pm
by DrPeterson

"Good show, Artemis! Now you mention it, I remember hearing about it when I was in Nairobi a few years ago. I seem to recall the party got butchered somewhere in the Kenyan Highlands."

He takes a sip of tea and puts the cup back down onto the saucer.

"He must have found something interesting about the circumstances of that massacre. I wonder what it could be, that was years ago."

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm relieved that Jackson made it back safely,' says Amy, sitting down and pausing to take a sip of tea. The thought of seeing him again after all these months thrills her. "I think I did read something about a Carlyle Expedition a few years ago, only that was in Egypt. I must have heard about it because I'm interested in anything to do with Egypt. I was fascinated even before Howard Carter discovered the tomb of King Tut. It could be the same expedition. Maybe they continued into the interior for some reason. That would make sense. Jackson could have learned about the expedition while in Kenya and followed up on it by going to Egypt. He did say in a letter he sent me in August that he had to leave Kenya, and that he was onto something big. That could have been where he went."

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:41 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"This must have been something I missed out on while being off in the east. Massacre in Kenya, you say. How terrific." Thomson puts out is pipe and pockets it.
"How do we get in touch with Jackson?"

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:37 pm
by RonaHattingh
Slowly Marga sips her hot tea, while listening carefully to the conversation around her, she doesn't want anyone to see her ignorance of the whole affair.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:21 pm
by DrPeterson
"Well, there's two things we can do. We either wait for him to contact us, as he said he would. Or we go to the harbour with the entire party or a more private selection." Horatio smiles at Amy. "and see if the Minetonka has already landed. However, knowing Jackson, I don't think he'd be too delighted if we were to welcome with too big him when he landed."

He fished in his pocket and produced a cigarette, taking some care lighting it and inhaling deeply.

"I can imagine he'd probably like to freshen up before seeing anybody after a trip like that."

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd like to meet him as he disembarks," says Amy, grinning back, not wanting to wait another second before seeing Jackson again. "I think he'd be happy to see me, at least. He may have already come ashore, but we won't know unless we go and see."

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:01 pm
by Overlord87

"Well, I'll gladly wait here for your return with Elias, smoking a cigar and maybe drinking some good whisky", Roger looks around for a waiter. He has comfortably sinked into an armchair, and shows no sign of ever wanting to stand up again.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:20 pm
by Ritterton
"I tend to agree with Roger," Artemis said looking at his former hunting partner. "A few should go great Jackson, and it should be those that know him better, while a few of us remain here just in case he's already on his way. Assuming he knows to meet us here that is."

Artemis looked about for a waiter, a cup of Earl Grey would be easier for him to handle than an early start on whiskey.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:14 am
by RonaHattingh
"I will wait here with you, Artemis." Marga can see all her talks with Amy went into the one ear and out of the other ear.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:46 pm
by Ritterton
RonaHattingh wrote:"I will wait here with you, Artemis."
Artemis ordered the small pot of Earl Grey and caught Marga's words. He smiled at the singer and asked, "Marga, so do you perform often here in the City?"

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:44 pm
by Quatermass
OOC:   Any of you that have experience in sea travel would know that the Port of New York is one of the busiest in the world. Finding the SS Minetonka (if it has already docked) without a dock number would be a major undertaking and take a lot of time.  

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:17 pm
by Dave Syrinx
To Amy, Thomson offers, "I have some business to attend to at Pier 18. I could hear what they have to say there and check with the harbour masters if any of the Minne liners have landed." He gets up and nods at the companions. "Anyone wants to share a cab?"

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Mr. Thomson" says Amy. "I'd like that."

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:09 am
by Dave Syrinx
On the way to the Pier, Thomson calms Amy's hopes. "Remember that the steamship is quite on the large side. When we arrive at pier 18, I'll make sure we get a lay of the land regarding today's arrivals. We might not find the ship, but I'm making sure we do our best to try."

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:42 am
by RonaHattingh
Ritterton wrote:
RonaHattingh wrote:"I will wait here with you, Artemis."
Artemis ordered the small pot of Earl Grey and caught Marga's words. He smiled at the singer and asked, "Marga, so do you perform often here in the City?"
Marga smiles kindly at Artemis. "Yes, I do, I got a job as a singer in the Ziegfeld Follies on Broadway."

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I understand," says Amy. "As long as I get to see him eventually. I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer if I have to...but I'd rather not have to."

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:18 am
by DrPeterson

"I'll stay here in case any further communication arrives. I'd advise you not to get your hopes up to highly, though, maybe she's not landed yet and I've never met a port official anywhere that was eager to hand out information on dock numbers to random passers-by."

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:53 pm
by Dave Syrinx
At pier 18, Thomson walks to the shed where he keeps his crates under lock and key. He notices from the signs on the walls that The Eastern Steamship Line use to land at 18.
SS Evangeline is currently in. He walks over to the ship and accesses the landing stairs and looks for a steward or deckhand to ask for someone in charge.

He has prepared his monologue. "Gerald Thomson, embarking on an expedition on March. Am preparing my equipment for Morocco. Am waiting for an acquaintance arriving on the Minetonka today. Have you had radio contact with her, coming in to port?". Going over the spiel he snickers to himself and changes his mind. A plain: "I'm looking for a liner, the SS Minetonka, is this it?" Playing the old fool might educate him more than being to nosy.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy stands beside Gerald, smiling and looking pretty. If that isn't enough to convince the sailor to answer, she can assist Gerald more actively by speaking.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:48 pm
by Ritterton
Meanwhile back at the Lounge...
Marga smiles kindly at Artemis. "Yes, I do, I got a job as a singer in the Ziegfeld Follies on Broadway."
Artemis whistled, then shook his head in amazement "The Ziegfeld Follies, Broadway, remarkable, that has to be a demanding schedule of rehearsal and performances. Is it true that all of the ladies have to be of a certain height?

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:01 pm
by Quatermass
Dave wrote:At pier 18, Thomson walks to the shed where he keeps his crates under lock and key. He notices from the signs on the walls that The Eastern Steamship Line use to land at 18.
SS Evangeline is currently in. He walks over to the ship and accesses the landing stairs and looks for a steward or deckhand to ask for someone in charge.

He has prepared his monologue. "Gerald Thomson, embarking on an expedition on March. Am preparing my equipment for Morocco. Am waiting for an acquaintance arriving on the Minetonka today. Have you had radio contact with her, coming in to port?". Going over the spiel he snickers to himself and changes his mind. A plain: "I'm looking for a liner, the SS Minetonka, is this it?" Playing the old fool might educate him more than being to nosy.
The steward looks at Gerald and rubs his chin. "Minetonka? I haven't heard of her. You should check with the Port Authority. They keep track of all the ships docked at the various piers."

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:23 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Thank you, sir." Thomson takes Amy by the arm and sets forth to seek out the Port Authority Office.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 pm
by Quatermass
Dave wrote:"Thank you, sir." Thomson takes Amy by the arm and sets forth to seek out the Port Authority Office.
At the Port Authority, a clerk looks up the US Minetonka. "I am sorry but I don't have any records of a US Minetonka at dock. Though if it arrived today it might take a day or so for the files to be updated."

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:06 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Thank you, sir." He tips the clerk a dollar. "For your trouble." To Amy, he says: "Let's take a stroll along the piers and see what we see."
Thomson opens the door to Amy.

Not being that athletic, the plan is to walk for a good fifteen minutes and see how many steam liners they can find and see if any of them is the Minetonka. Then, a cab to Washington Hotel again.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:37 pm
by DrPeterson
At the Washington Hotel:

Horatio raises an interested eyebrow and reclines in his seat.

"The Ziegfield Follies? My dear Artemis, I believe we should go and pay that wonderful show a visit when our dear Miss Maritz is performing. I had the fortune to see the Folies Bergère when I was in Paris last year, but I'm sure your performance will pale that continental memory."

He raises his cup of tea in a salute and drinks.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Amy, striding through the door. While she is spry and athletic, she slows down to allow Gerald to keep pace with her.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:23 am
by Ritterton
"I think that would be a great way to spend an evening Horatio," Artemis grinned at Horatio and then smiled at Miss Maritz. "My time in Paris was right after the war, loved that City and its various distractions. " His gaze wandered off into the haze of memory and suddenly caught himself and shook himself back into the present. A deep blush flushed across his checks and he raised his tea cup to hide his embarrassment.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:55 am
by Overlord87
Washington Hotel

Roger is sitting comfortably in his armchair, half-dozed as he listens to the conversation: "Well, why not, count me in as well", he says, gesturing with one hand.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:17 pm
by Quatermass
The Hotel Washington Lounge
January 15th, 1925 - 2:30 PM

A bellhop comes to your table at the hotel lounge. "Mr. Horatio Stokes? There is a call for you at the front desk."

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:40 pm
by DrPeterson

"That'll be Jackson!"

Horatio puts his cup back onto the saucer and goes over to the desk. He glares at the telephone for a moment and then picks up the horn, holding it in a disregarding manner.

"Hello, this is Horatio Stokes speaking."

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:35 pm
by Quatermass
DrPeterson wrote:The Hotel Washington Lounge

"That'll be Jackson!"

Horatio puts his cup back onto the saucer and goes over to the desk. He glares at the telephone for a moment and then picks up the horn, holding it in a disregarding manner.

"Hello, this is Horatio Stokes speaking."
"Thank God, Horiatio, I am so glad that I got hold of you." Says Jackson. His voice is strained and you can detect a hint of fear. You don't remember every hearing Jackson afraid before. "I don't have much time, have you gotten a team together?"

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:17 pm
by DrPeterson

Horatio frowns, visibly perturbed.

"By Jove, old boy, you sound rather shaken. Yes, yes, of course I have, I gathered some of your friends. Amy and Thomson went looking for you at the harbour, you must have missed them. Where are you now, Jackson, do you want to meet up for a late lunch?"

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:51 pm
by Quatermass
"Gods, Amy, not Amy! Don't get her involved in this please! Promise me Horatio! For all that's Holy." Jackson stammers. "I am on to something...big...monstrous...I...well....*sob*...." The line seems to go dead for almost half a minute. "Sorry, I just have been on the go and I am badly in need of some rest." "Hoiratio.....please.....meet me at my hotel. It's the Chelsea Hotel, room 4B, tonight around 7:00 PM. I have some errands to run, but I should be back by then. I have to go." With that the line goes dead.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:06 am
by Ritterton
Artemis watched as Horatio headed to the front desk, Jackson must have landed and found his way to a phone. Wonder if Amy and Thomson crossed paths with him, he asked himself. "So, Roger, I think if time permits we can all make a go of seeing Ms. Maritz perform with her colleagues, make it a night on the town to welcome Jackson back from wherever it is he has been.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:17 am
by Overlord87

After hearing of an incoming call, probably from Elias, Roger is now well-awakened: "Yes, I think that's a great idea", he says absentmindedly. He should be more tranquil now, Elias is back in town, calling on the phone, and yet, there's a certain unease in the back of the mind. It has been there since he found that dead crow, in the morning. Roger shakes his head, trying to clear his thoughts, and awaits for Horatio to come back.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:22 am
by DrPeterson
"Don't worry about Amy, old boy, she can handle herself pretty well, I'm sure. And I'll keep an eye out for her. Jackson? Jackson!", Horatio stares at the telephone with a loathing glare and he returns to the party.

Horatio sits down and looks at the others, a concerned look on his face.

"That was Jackson. He sounded rather agitated. He's asked to meet him at the Chelsea at seven."

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:23 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Hotel Washington-

Coming through the foyer doors, Thomson enters after Amy has entered. "No luck at the docks, ladies and gentlemen. We had ourselves a wasted tea." He glances at the assembled friends.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hi, everyone!" chirps Amy, waving cheerily. "Have you heard from Jackson yet?"

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:49 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson joins in the hotel.
So, any news from Jackson? New material to a book?

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:44 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis looked at the bright, youth filled voice of Amy, contrasted with the more wisdom laced voice of Thomson, greeted the small group at the lounge. Without really thinking, he turned his head at Horatio with a look of expectation as an answer to the young lady's question.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:38 pm
by DrPeterson

Horatio shuffles in his seat and clears his throat.

"Yes, well, about that. I was just on the telephone with Jackson, he's already in town."

He pauses for a moment.

"He's working on a new case and he did confirm he needed help tracking a few things down, but uhm, you see, well, I'm sorry, Miss Lawrence, I have to be frank, he didn't seem too keen on getting you involved though, he thought it might be a tad too dangerous."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:23 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga sits back satisfied. At least Jackson cares for her friend and don't want to see her in danger.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy looks crestfallen. "I'm sorry I missed his call," she says. "I've been so worried about him while he was away, but I was hoping the danger was over now that he was back home. Is he already planning a new expedition? Surely there must be something I can do to help. It can't be very dangerous to research things in a library."

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:52 am
by DrPeterson

Horatio shares a look of concern with Amy.

"I'm sure he'll be happy to see you, Miss Lawrence, I told him you were quite the independent and capable woman."

He offers her a kind smile.

"Perhaps you should come along after all, and then you can talk to him after we're done. I'm sure he won't be able to say no."

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:16 pm
by Overlord87

"Miss Lawrence, if I may, I would suggest that you leave this matter to us, at least until we can ascertain if there is really any danger... and what kind of danger that is. But I understand that you're very stubborn", Roger smiles, making it clear that he doesn't find that to be a bad thing, "and as an adult you're entitled to go wherever you please. So, I'd say it's better to have you stick with us. But, should there be any kind of trouble, I expect that you'll follow our instructions and stay out of harm's way as much as possible. Deal?"

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:25 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"This would lend us a couple of hours before meeting him at Hotel Chelsea. That's an authors den isn't it? Jazz folk and artists, right? A bit raggedy, I'd guess. What in heavens is he staying there for? There must be dozens of better paces for an author such as him to stay at. And why not stay at Prosepero House with friends?" Quite fuming at the idea of having a friend staying at such a place, Thomson silences himself with another batch of tobacco in his pipe. He knocks the piece clean against his heel before preparing it meticulously and lighting it - now some at ease.

"Hmmpf, Chelsea Hotel."

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," Amy says to Roger. "I'm sure we'll be able to sort everything out when we talk to Jackson. Two hours gives me enough time to change and get ready. Hmm...perhaps Jackson went to the Chelsea Hotel because nobody would expect to find him there."

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:08 am
by Ritterton
"Well, I for one would rather sit here a bit longer, and take our time in getting to the Chelsea," Artemis looked about the table. "But, if you need to freshen up before hand," he continued looking at Amy, "by all means please, for I am certain Jackson will be grateful."

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:27 pm
by Quatermass
Chelsea Hotel
W. 23rd Street, New York City
January 15th, 1925
6:45 PM

Your group arrives at the Chelsea Hotel a few minutes before seven in the evening. It is cold with a brisk wind but the sky has cleared. Proctor’s Theatre across the street has a large crowd in front of it with the opening of Charlie Chaplin's The Gold Rush.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:49 pm
by Overlord87

"Let's go in. I'd rather speak with Elias in person as soon as possible, make sure that he's ok", Roger says, and heads for the entrance.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:33 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Thomson stays outside the hotel doors, nursing his pipe as he watches the queue across the street. "Wonder if there's gold findings in Morocco?" He muses half to himself half to the friends entering the upstart hotel.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:38 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga walks briskly with Amy. Marga can understand Amy's eagerness to reach Jackson. Love can be so impatient.

Marga looks longingly at the large crowd in front of the Proctor's Theatre. She had tickets to the new Charlie Chaplin film and wanted to entice Amy to come tonight, but with the telegram and Jackson's call that is shoved under the rug.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:22 am
by DrPeterson

Horatio arrives with the others, tucked deep inside his coat.
Inside he straightens his clothes and brushes off his hat, looking around for the desk and the accompanying clerk.

"What ho, then. We're here to see our friend, Jackson Elias, he should be expecting us. Horatio Stokes is the name."

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:52 am
by Ritterton
Artemis walked along with his colleagues and the rhythmatic tapping of his cane was lost in the sounds of the streets. The Chelsea was a tall, gable topped hotel with a long history interwoven in the red brick that built up its exterior. He noticed the longing look Ms. Marga gave to the crowd and the marquee announcing the new Chaplin film and a slight shake of the head by the performer as they entered into the building. He noticed that Thomson remained outside drawing from his pipe, and Artemis passed by with a tip of his hat.

Inside, the lobby was busy with people walking to and fro, bell hops pushing along luggage dollies, and hotel staff moving as if they were more permanent in comparison to the guests. Artemis watched Horatio move with determination towards the front desk and the staff behind it.
"What ho, then. We're here to see our friend, Jackson Elias, he should be expecting us. Horatio Stokes is the name."
Artemis smiled at how easy it seemed for Horatio to seize control of a situation.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 am
by Dave Syrinx
Thomson acknowledges the antiques dealer, Ritterton's subtle salute with an equally subtle nod of his head, draws a few times on his pipe and then follows suit into the lobby. Still keeping the pipe alive, as comfort he realized... Now, where to sit? He looks for an easy chair to occupy while waiting for the meet to take place.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy enters the hotel lobby alongside Marga. Once out of the cold, she unbuttons her winter fleece coat to reveal the black sequined dress she wears underneath. Her hair and makeup are as good as she was able to prepare them in what little time was available, for she wants to look her best when Jackson sees her. Maybe he'll propose tonight! she thinks hopefully.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 am
by kabukiman
"Let's see what stories he will tell us this time."- says Anderson

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:38 pm
by Quatermass
DrPeterson wrote:
A man at the front desk nods and looks down at a registry. "Mr. Elias? He is in room 4B, Fourth Floor."

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:03 am
by DrPeterson
"Jolly good, we'll go straight up!"

Horatio smiles at the clerk and makes for the elevator.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:17 am
by Ritterton
"Seems Horatio is off and running," Artemis said to those around him. He pushed himself to try to catch up with the author, realizing that Horatio was moving faster than he was. "Stokes, wait up, or do you want to head on without any of us?"

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy eagerly follows Horatio to the elevator, able to keep up with him with no problem.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:01 am
by Overlord87

Roger clearly has troubles following the other's pace, and besides, he would probably occupy half the elevator by himself. So he slows down and says: "You go ahead, I'll catch up with the next elevator".

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:07 am
by kabukiman
I'm going with you Artemis, I want to see Jackson too- says Anderson.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:09 pm
by Quatermass
Everyone arrives on the fourth floor and you quickly find Elias' room. Horatio knocks and there is no reply from inside.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:24 pm
by kabukiman
Maybe he didn't hear us? Should we call him?- says Anderson.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:53 pm
by Overlord87

Roger feels his anxiety increasing. That vague sense of unease that has haunted him since the morning is now starting to take shape. "Elias? Elias, are you in there? Open the door, please!". Despite his best efforts, Roger's voice sounds a little worried.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:32 pm
by Quatermass
Roger's call gets no response.
OOC:   Everyone can make a Listen Check  

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:42 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Loitering in the lobby, Thomson gets on the back trail and finds himself last at the proper floor. "What's the hold-up?".

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:49 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson don't hear anything.
"Maybe for some reason he left and the clerk didn't see him?"
http://orokos.com/roll/360881

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:29 pm
by Overlord87
Spoiler:
Roger's Listen check succeeds: http://orokos.com/roll/360889

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:46 pm
by Ritterton
The hall was filled with people and anticipation as they waited for a response to Roger's knocking. Artemis suspected that Anderson was on to something about Jackson stepping out.
Spoiler:
listen =50[dice]0[/dice]
In the silence that followed Anderson's suggestion, Artemis strained to listen for any sign of Jackson on the other side of the hall.

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:07 pm
by Quatermass
Roger,You hear movement inside the room.
Artemis,Artemis hears something in the room. It sounds like a window opening.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:47 am
by Ritterton
Artemis looked at the door and then quickly jerked his head and looked at Roger. "Roger, I think someone is in there, I think I heard a window open." His gaze was focused and intense on the door.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"I heard it too," says Amy. She calls through the door. "Jackson, it's me, Amy!"
OOC,Listen roll (45% skill) outside the hotel room: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:27 am
by Overlord87

"Well, I don't like this... Elias, are you in there?", Roger asks again. If he doesn't receive an answer in the next ten seconds, he'll crash on the door with all his weight trying to burst it open.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:04 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"I'll hurry down and acquire a key." Thomson says to himself and starts down the stairs to find the bellboy.
"I'm getting too old for this."

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:21 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga looks at the others apprehensively, she has a bad feeling about this. Anxiously she waits for Thomson to come back with the key.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:14 pm
by Quatermass
Gerald rushes down the stairs as the seconds tick by. Still no response from inside the room.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:04 pm
by Dave Syrinx
On his way down Gerald goes through his mind what the others had said.
Previously said:   "I think I heard a window open."  
"Is the unlucky bastard jumping?!" Thomson gets really worried and switches his plan. "I need to get out on the street to see if I can stop him."

At the foyer he hollers at the desk clerk and the bellboy, "We need a key to Mr. Elias room. He's locked himself in. And I think HES ABOUT TO JUMP!"

As fast as he can he exits the hotel and stares up towards the fourth floor. Was it the fourth floor? Gerald looks for an open window.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:22 pm
by Ritterton
Roger, knock again and try the door, Artemis said, his mind and voice going to that place where war veterans find themselves when they sense trouble.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:43 pm
by Quatermass
Dave wrote:
As fast as he can he exits the hotel and stares up towards the fourth floor. Was it the fourth floor? Gerald looks for an open window.
Try to remember the lay out of the hotel. Gerald realizes that Jackson's room faces a alleyway on the right side of the hotel and other building next to it.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:49 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Outside Hotel Washington-

Bewildered Gerald takes a look to the right and left.
He walks briskly to the right side and shouts as he rounds the corner. "ELIAS!"

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:57 pm
by Quatermass
Gerald,Gerald looks up and tries to figure out which room is Elias'. There are fire escapes along this side of the building. [img]http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/74/7490/M4LQ100Z/posters/philippe-hugonnard-fire-escape-stairway-on-manhattan-building-new-york-united-states-black-and-white-photography.jpg[/img] On the fourth floor, Gerald sees two men climb out onto the fire escape from a window. From this angle, he cannot get a good look at them.

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:16 pm
by DrPeterson

"This is all highly irregular!"
Listen 50%,[dice]0[/dice]
While Horatio didn't hear anything in particular, he still trusts his companion's instincts.

"Stand back, everybody."

Horatio takes a step back and then assaults the door with his shoulder.
STR vs ?,[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:31 pm
by Quatermass
Horatio hits the door with a solid blow but the door stubbornly refuses to budge.
OOC:   The door is big enough that two people can hit it at the same time.  

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:55 am
by kabukiman
Keeper OOC
Spoiler:
: is there anyway to try to follow those men besides this door?

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Um..." says Amy, "did anyone try opening the door to see if it was locked?" She knows she wouldn't be strong enough to help break it down anyway.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:08 am
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote: "Um..." says Amy, "did anyone try opening the door to see if it was locked?" She knows she wouldn't be strong enough to help break it down anyway.

Roger checks to see if the door's open, just in case. If not, tries to help Horatio opening the door with brute strength.

Spoiler:
I don't know if I should roll anythign, I rolled anyway, a 33: http://orokos.com/roll/361612

We should probably ask Marga though, she's stronger than me and Horatio combined :D

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:25 pm
by Quatermass
Roger and Horatio slam into the door with their shoulders and the door frame shatters. The door swings open with a bang.

Inside you see two men climbing out of one of the two windows at the opposite wall. One is white and one is black, they are shabbily dressed and one has what looks like a machete in his hand. They are wearing a strange head dress with a red strip of cloth hanging down from their forehead. Another black man stands over the lone bed in the room with a bloody machete in hand. The room itself looks like it has been ransacked. A suitcase has its contents spilled on the floor. A dresser has had all it's drawers opened or pulled out and also dumped on the floor. A bloody white towel lies on the floor in front of the bathroom door.

Then there is the figure laying on the bed. Jackson lays face up. Unblinking eyes stare at the celling. His shirt has been ripped open and this chest and stomach are a bloody ruin. A long rope of intestine hangs off the side of the bed. A symbol has been carved into his forehead. Blood is spattered everywhere. Jackson is surely dead.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:47 pm
by DrPeterson
Horatio looks around the room, his jaw nearly dropping, and then he sees Jackson and the man standing over him. Gruesome details burn into his brain, the blood dripping from the cord of intestine forming a puddle at the foot of the bed, the bubbling mass that is Jackson's stomach, and his eyes, Gods, his eyes...

Beyond rational thought, he launches himself into the room with a ungodly shout, cannonballing into the machete-wielding man by the bed.

Attack roll,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:15 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Outside Hotel Washington-

Staring up at the firescapes, Gerald again shouts, "ELIAS!?", then realizing Elias wouldn't take that route to exit the hotel, and in the same breath he relaxes as his fears of Elias plummeting to his death has been laid to rest. "OY, fellas! What you DOING?"

In doing so, he pulls at the firescape to get the lower part to the street. Then he starts to climb the stairs.

"Something must be amiss. They'll not get away with robbing mr. Elais."

As with most situations Gerald acts much before he thinks about consequences.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:10 pm
by Overlord87

Oh, God, no...

Roger is paralyzed for an instant, then springs back into action as he sees Horatio charging the man. "Artemis, the women!", he shouts, before charging himself.

Spoiler:
Roger doesn't want to interfere with Horatio, so he'll jump in and throw a fist only if he has the chance. This is my roll for the attack: http://orokos.com/roll/361658

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:24 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga steps into the room. And nearly faints when she sees the carnage and realises it Is Jackson on the bed. She turns towards Amy to tell her not to come in.

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:28 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis had surged in with Horatio and Roger them saw the horror on the bed. The sight and smell of death clicked his mind into his war days training. Margaret had followed him and he spun when he heard her gasp and her command to Amy to not come in. Taking his walking stick, he held it near both ends and walked back to door nudging Marga back towards the open door and batting Amy's entrance. He turned his head, and tried to see if his colleagues had tackled the man at the end of the bed.

This isn't good, this just isn't good at all. What had Jackson got himself into?

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy's heart wrenches. She knows that whatever they're not telling her or letting her see must be terrible, but as long as she doesn't look, she can hold onto some sliver of hope by not confirming her worst fears. "What happened in there?" asks Amy, her lip quivering. "Jackson...is he hurt? Maybe I can help him!"

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:13 am
by kabukiman
Anderson follow his companions. When he sees the horrific image, he is shocked. But then he only thinks in vengence and follow the two criminals.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:44 am
by Ritterton
"Amy, you best stay out there in the hall,"Artemis turned his head from the room back to the door still trying to bar her entry and block her from seeing the horror that remained of Jackson. He could hear a scuffle behind him in the room and realized that Roger, Horatio and Anderson were going to have to subdue the stranger or else he could find himself with his back to an apparent killer.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:00 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga takes hold of Amy's hand.

"We need to stay here and not be a distraction to the men."

Marga grips with her other hand onto her purse, ready to use it as a weapon if anyone except their friends come through the door.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:42 pm
by Ritterton
Realizing that Marga was watching Amy, Artemis executed an about face with his walking stick's terminus held firmly in his hand ensuring the heavier end would be the business end if the need arose.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:45 am
by Quatermass
Horiato barrels into the man by the bed knocking him over and they land in a pile in the middle of the room. Roger moves up to help but he doesn't see a opening.
The other two men climb out the window to a fire escape and start to climb down. Anderson leaps over Horatio and the man on the floor and gets to the window.

Gerald outside climbs up to the second floor on the fire escape. He sees two men above him and they are climbing down.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:39 am
by Dave Syrinx
Gerald, having received no reply from the men suspects foul play takes hold of the railings and shouts. "Stop right there gentlemen!" He looks up at the two men and tries to get a better look at them.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 am
by Mr. Handy

Tears well up in Amy's eyes, threatening to burst out in a torrent. "Jackson..." she chokes out. If I don't see or know what happened, that means he might still be all right, she thinks, though she knows in her agonized heart that it must be very bad, or her friends would have reassured her.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:00 am
by kabukiman
Anderson climbs, following the criminals; he doesn't say a word to avoid to loose his breath.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:43 am
by DrPeterson

Horatio struggles with Elias's assailant, rolling over the floor, trying to disarm the man and overpower him. In struggle his hat comes and is end up against the cupboard.
Rolling to get the upper hand,[dice]0[/dice]

"Artemis, best help Anderson. Mr. Edwards and I can take care of things here."

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:13 am
by Ritterton
"Right Horatio," Artemis replied and headed across the room towards the window that the two accomplices had just fled out of. Upon arriving at the window, he looked back at the struggle, then down out the window to see where the two fleeing men were.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:37 am
by Dave Syrinx
Down on the scape Thomson braces hinself and pulls out his only weapon he carries and points rigidly at the two figures. "Stop right there, or I shoot!"

Through the grated metal of the scape, he hoopes the illusion of his pipe and the change of tone will be enough to sway them from coming further down. Should it not help, he will poke the first one to face him in the eye with the mouth-piece.

A shame on such a craftmanship but a sacrifice he is willing to make.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 pm
by Overlord87

Roger closes in on the two men rolling on the floor. If he gets an opening, he'll try to kick the hand holding the weapon, trying to disarm the killer.

Spoiler:
Whooooo I rolled a 1: http://orokos.com/roll/363702

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:21 am
by Ritterton
Artemis climbed down the stairs trying to catch the two fleeing men with the odd head pieces. Further below he could see Gerald working his way up towards them. This could prove to be interesting rather quickly, he thought to himself.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:54 pm
by Quatermass
Roger seeing the large knife in the man's hand steps on the man's wrist with all of his weight. The man cries out pain and lets go of the machete. Horaito quickly gains the upper hand as they wrestle on the floor. Horatio bends one of the man's arms behind his back and gets a strong hold around the man's neck. The man tries to bite Horatio but he is held tight and snaps at empty air.

The two other men are out on the third floor fire escape as Gerald comes up the stairs from the second. Artemis and Anderson start to come down the stairs from the fourth floor trapping the men in-between them. The white man looks up at Artemis and Anderson and brandishes a switchblade in warning. The other black man swing his machete at Gerald below him. The attack misses Gerald by scant inches.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:55 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Being a cutting blade's edge from the other side, Gerald pokes the fella with his brandished pipe and knuckles.
"Shouldn't run with knives...", he gasps as he winces at the close call.

Upon missing the knock, he braces himself for a second round.

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:24 pm
by kabukiman
OOC: Can Anderson simply fall down against one of the two men?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:39 pm
by Quatermass
kabukiman wrote:OOC: Can Anderson simply fall down against one of the two men?
OOC:   He could jump down the stairs onto the man facing you and Artemis. Or try to at least.  

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:53 am
by Ritterton
Artemis continues down the stairs keeping his eye on the grated stairs and the switchblade in the fleeing man's hand. As he climbed down, he readied the walking stick for a swing with his hand firmly on the bottom of the stick making the handle the source of any damage that might be inflicted.
OOC:   So, what would he roll against when he gets within combat range? Grapple or punch?  

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,If you're trying to hit him with the walking stick, that would probably be Large Club or Small Club skill (depending on its size), either of which has a base level of 25%. A large club does 1D8 damage, and a small club does 1D6 damage (plus the damage bonus). You also have the option of declaring it a knockout attempt before you attack. I'd advise this, as it doesn't hurt. If you fail to knock him out, you still do full damage as long as you hit.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:31 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson jumps to attack the man facing Artemis.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:21 pm
by DrPeterson

"Great shot, Mr. Edwards! Now, alerting the constabulary might be the appropriate course of action to follow.", Horatio says between grunts as he's keeping his arm-lock on Jackson's killer.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:47 pm
by Ritterton
As Artemis continued down the stairs at knife wielding man, he continued to watch the man's stance and eyes for any sign of how he planned to attack. When he got within range of his walking stick he swung it hard towards the head hoping that a well placed strike could knock the villain out. His walking stick was one he had had made after he had been wounded in the Great War, it's hand ball was made out of a trench brass and was polished from use.

[spoiler-button]
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[/spoiler-button]

His swing went wide and smashed the grate as he came into range. "Damn it," he exclaimed.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:39 pm
by Overlord87

Roger picks up the bloodied machete from the floor and throws it away, out of reach from the killer. Then rushes outside the room, looking for a member of the hotel staff. As soon as he finds one, he's going to ask him to contact the police - with urgency.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can call the police," says Amy, anxious to do something to help. "But...what do I tell them?"

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:53 am
by kabukiman
OOC: What do I roll?

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:05 pm
by Quatermass
kabukiman wrote:OOC: What do I roll?
OOC:   Jump. Unless I ask you to roll a specific check then used your own judgement on what skill you need to roll. I would have taken Fist/Punch or Grapple as well.  

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:33 pm
by kabukiman
Anderson jumps... and fails hitting the man.

http://orokos.com/roll/366672

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:18 pm
by Quatermass
In the room Horatio holds on to the thrashing man who tries to break out of his grip. Horatio keeps his hold on the man though. Amy can hear the men fighting and she sees something thrown to the floor by the door. It is a bloody knife about 2 or 3 feet long. Roger comes out in the hall with a panicked look on his face as he looks up and down the hall.

Out side on the fire escape. Anderson jumps down onto the third floor landing but the knife welding man backs up and is not hit. Artermis advances down as well and swings his walking stick but the man ducks under the blow. The man stabs at Artermis but the blade only hits empty air.

The other man facing Gerald lets out a grunt and charges him down the stairs to the second story landing. Gerald is forced to back up to keep the machete like blade from hitting him. Gerald can see the man clearly now. He is a black man in his twenties with scars on his face and headband with a strip of red cloth hanging down in front of the man's face.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:32 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Despearte to not get all chopped up, Gerald aims the dark fellow with the peculiar head garment with his bare knuckles. The pipe idea had seen fine initially. Now, only foolish. He sees the dear pipe fall through the stairs.

"What a waste.", he thinks as he jabs at the massive head of his attacker.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
To hit: 50%

[dice]1[/dice]
Damage

[dice]2[/dice]
Hit Location

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:45 am
by Ritterton
Artemis lifted the cane again and brought it down towards his assailant's head, hoping that a blow will not only land itself, but in doing so knock out the attacker.

[Spoiler-Button]
[dice]0[/dice] to hit;
[dice]1[/dice] damage.
[/Spoiler-Button]

His swing missed again, and he realized that it might be a better approach to treat the walking stick like a military rifle and use it in a similar fashion as he was trained years ago in basic and in the trenches of France.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy gasps when she sees the bloody blade. "No..." she cries, running for the elevator so she can get down to the lobby and telephone the police as fast as possible.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:10 am
by kabukiman
Anderson try to distract the man pretending he will advance so Artemis may have his chance.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:18 am
by DrPeterson

Horatio keeps the man pinned, lifting the murderer's arm high behind the man's back.

"Whom do you work for, you fiend? Why did you do this to Jackson?"

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:56 pm
by Quatermass
kabukiman wrote:Anderson try to distract the man pretending he will advance so Artemis may have his chance.
OOC:   Artemis gets +25% chance to hit with Anderson's distracting the man.  

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:55 pm
by Ritterton
Anderson's sudden arrival via a quick jump down the grate, combined with his shouting at the assailant gave Artemis another chance to slam the wood of the cane up against the knife-wielding criminal.
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice] (50% needed)
[dice]1[/dice] (damage)  
Artemis stumbled and missed with the cane. "Damn it,"he shouted.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:19 am
by Quatermass
Horatio sees a belt laying on the floor next to the bed. Everyone else but Marga has left the room. The man begins to twist and strain to break your grip. Scratching and biting.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:23 am
by Quatermass
Amy and Roger reach the elevator at the same time. A sign saying Stairs is above a door across from the elevator.

The man facing Gerald laughs. "Old man! I would love to cut your throat.....but....." He says with a foreign accent. He looks down at the alley way and then jumps over the railing and down into the alley.
OOC:   Jump [dice]0[/dice]  
The man lands hard but stays on his feet. He looks up at Gerald with a wide grin.

The man facing Artemis and Anderson backs up to the edge of the stairs going down to the second story landing. He holds his switch blade out as a threat.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:45 am
by Ritterton
Artemis looked at the man and then lunged forward with the walking stick aiming it at the man's hand and arm.
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice] club @25
[dice]1[/dice] damage  

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy slaps the elevator call button to summon it to take them down to the lobby. "If it's not here already, I'll take the stairs and you wait for it," she says to Roger. "Whoever gets downstairs first can make the call."

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:40 am
by kabukiman
Anderson watching that his friend has no success, try to punch the man...

http://orokos.com/roll/367339

And fail.
OOC: Needed 50% and had 52% :?

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:55 am
by DrPeterson

Horatio reaches for something heavy lying nearby, like that solid glass ashtray which has fallen of the night stand, and knocks out the squirming blighter. He then proceeds tying up the man's hand with the belt.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:55 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Gerald follows suit down to the first landing to pursue the escaping thug.
If he loses sight of him, he'll yell after him.

"STOP THAT MAN! MOLESTOR!!"

Reaching the street, he moves as fast as possible to keep dogging the thug.
Upon the inevitable loss of the trail, he returns and snatches up his pipe from beneath the scape.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:22 pm
by Overlord87
Mr. Handy wrote:Amy slaps the elevator call button to summon it to take them down to the lobby. "If it's not here already, I'll take the stairs and you wait for it," she says to Roger. "Whoever gets downstairs first can make the call."

"Yes, yes... that's a good idea", Roger says. And it will keep you away from that room, he adds to himself.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 pm
by DrPeterson

Horatio gets up and brushes off his clothes. He collects his hat and walks back to the bed, a sad look on his faces as he looks at Elias's remains.

"Go with God, old boy.", reverently he places his hat on Jackson's face and then rushes to the window.

"Do you chaps need a hand with these two?", he calls out.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:26 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy nods and hurries down the stairs, seeing as the elevator wasn't currently here. It was probably already in the lobby, three flights below.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:46 am
by Ritterton
"Drop the knife, now!" Artemis used his voice from when he was in the trenches hoping that it could convince the man to do as he said.

[Spoiler-Button]
[dice]0[/dice] Intimadate15
[/Spoiler-Button]

[/"Enough of this," Artemis made a fist with his right hand and swung at the man.

[dice]1[/dice] Punch 50%

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:55 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga shudders awake from her frozen state, all of this violence has crept on her. "AMY!" Marga runs out and sees Amy disappearing down the stairs. Marga doesn't think twice and follows Amy down.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:33 pm
by Quatermass
Marga races after Amy as she heads down the stairs. Roger hits the elevator button and hears it begin to rise up from a lower floor.
Amy,As Amy runs down the stair, thought swirl in her mind. Is Jackson in the room? Is he hurt? Why isn't anyone helping him? And most of all does he need HER?
Horatio sees Gerald run out of the alley out into the street. He is yelling something. Down below he sees movement and hears Artemis yelling but the fire escape blocks his view.

Artemis finally connects with a solid punch to the man's jaw. The man stumbles back and falls backwards down the stairs to the next landing. The man lands in a tangle of limbs and he tries to right himself.

Gerald sees the other man running down the street. There is a lot of noise coming from the crowd across the street and Gerald's yelling draws scant attention. Gerald does see a pair of police men across the street standing by the Theater entrance.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:35 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Officers, that man tried to kill me!" Gearld pants sheepishly and points in the direction the thug is running in. "He's got a knife..."

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:04 am
by DrPeterson

Seeing that the situation outside is more or less under control, Horatio turns back to room. He looks around, trying to find anything that could help him make sense of the situation and then kneels down next to the unconscious man and rummages through his pockets.

Spot hidden,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy is torn between reason and emotion, but she is still able to hang on to reason for now. The possibility occurs to her that it may already be too late, which would explain why they were keeping her out of the room and weren't doing anything to help Jackson, but she clings to the hope that as long as she doesn't know, it isn't yet established fact. If he is injured but alive, he will need medical help, more than their group can provide. The surest way to get that is to tell the clerk in the lobby and use the telephone to summon an ambulance. Once that's done, or if Roger gets there first, she can just ride back upstairs in the elevator. Her mind made up, she continues quickly downstairs.

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:19 am
by Ritterton
Artemis moved down the flight of stairs as quickly as he could. When he got to the lower landing, he kicked at the man trying to keep him from rising and fleeing.
OOC:   [dice]0[/dice] kick,25 but not sure if there is any penalty for me rushing down the stairs or any bonus for him trying to get up...UM Nevermind  

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:19 am
by kabukiman
Anderson finally hit the man.

http://orokos.com/roll/368470
http://orokos.com/roll/368472
(2 points of damage)

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:08 pm
by Overlord87

As soon as Roger reaches the ground floor, he'll head towards the reception and ask them to call the police immediately, since there has been a murder. If Amy is nearby, he'll instead say that there are armed man in the hotel and someone has been assaulted. He knows that Amy will have to know sooner or later, but he is trying to postpone that moment as much as possible.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:23 pm
by Quatermass
Amy and Marga reaches the lobby before Roger and rush to the front desk to ask for help. Roger comes out of the elevator and quickly over join them. The man at the front desk is confused at first but he quickly picks up a phone to call the police.

Horatio stays in the room and begins a search.

Gerald points to the fleeing man and one of the police pulls out a whistle and blows it. "Right Sir. Stay right here will you." the older policeman says and they both being to run after the thug.

Artemis and Anderson pounce on the man on the landing and quickly disarm and beat the man into submission. During the struggle though Artemis has his arm cut by the man's knife. (1 point of damage).

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Make sure they send an ambulance too!" adds Amy. Then she runs for the elevator, which is conveniently in the lobby, to take it back up to the fourth floor.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:49 am
by Dave Syrinx
Having done his civic duty, Gerald walks back to the fire scape and picks his pipe up, seeing that the two friends have knocked out the man on the landing.
Gerald enters the foyer through the front doors and wonders what's the matter with all the people stealing from Elias.
"Hope he's alright, the old chap."

Seeing Amy he asks,
"How is he?"

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:10 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I don't know!" cries Amy as she races for the elevator, her voice tinged with despair. "We just called for the police and an ambulance. I'm on my way back up to see if I can help him!"

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:02 pm
by Ritterton

"Well done Anderson, well done," Artemis congratulated his colleague and found himself breathing deeply. His heart continued to race as the reality of the situation and fight continued to flood over him. He felt a sharp sting on his right arm and saw the slash through his jacket and a red stain. He would have to deal with that later, both the wound and the jacket. He reached for the thug's knife to keep it away from should he regain consciousness. Then went to reach into the man's pockets. "we need to find some clue as to who these men were and why they killed Jackson."

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:58 am
by Overlord87

When everything's done and the adrenaline shock subsides, Roger feels the grief and tiredness overcome him. As soon as Amy leaves the hall, he lets himself fall on an armchair, covers his face with his hands, and starts crying in silence.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:44 am
by kabukiman
Actually it was thanks to you that we managed to stop him- says Anderson- we must indeed find a clue about their identities before the police arrives.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:24 am
by Ritterton
"Keep a hold of him, Anderson," Artemis said as he tried searching the prone man's clothing for anything else that might reveal who or what he was

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:23 pm
by Quatermass
Ritterton wrote:"Keep a hold of him, Anderson," Artemis said as he tried searching the prone man's clothing for anything else that might reveal who or what he was
Artemis and Anderson search the man and finds some items in his pockets.

A letter

A business card

A matchbox

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:35 pm
by Quatermass
Amy, Marga, and Gerald jump into the open elevator and head up to the fourth floor. A few moments later you walk up to the open door to Jackson's room.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:37 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Gerald walks into the room and sees the state of it all. Incapacitated thugs and the laugh of the party, still being the centre of attention albeit for a reason not wanted by anyone.
He looks at the wounds. "Seems ritualistic..." He is covering the lower part of Elias' body with a plaid blanket and shuts the poor man's eyes.
"Do we have a statement ready for the constables?"

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:49 am
by Ritterton
"We have some clues, Anderson, and I would suggest that we say we didn't find anything on the man," Artemis folded the items and slipped them into his jacket pocket with a wink at Anderson to do the same with what he found. "We need to get the police to come here and take this guy into custody. OFFICER!! OFFICER!! HELP US PLEASE!!"

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"How bad is he hurt?" calls Amy, bursting into the room just after Gerald has covered Jackson's lower body. "I'm here, Jackson!"

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:56 am
by Dave Syrinx
"I'm afraid he's in he big sleep, miss. Amy." Knowing she's no one to be stopped easily, he lets her pass, thinking it might even put themselves in a better light with the heart crushed girl among the gentlemen framing the scene. This all very much reminds him about a cave on Tafelberg overlooking Cape Town. "This is utterly out of place, gentlemen. I'd expect this by the Ibutho Lempi of Mthethwa. But, not on Manhattan. Assuredly out of place."

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:23 am
by kabukiman
Anderson nods.
"You are absolutly rigth."
Anderson continues watching the man.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:50 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga is right behind Amy. She knows Amy wont believe anyone until she has seen for herself that Jackson is gone. Marga stays close by to catch Amy when she needs it.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:32 pm
by Quatermass
Amy seeing Jackon's face with a hideous symbol carved into his forehead knows he is dead.

There is blood splattered all over the bed and a ropey intestine hangs off the edge of the bed.
OOC:   Amy can make a sanity check.  

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy doesn't break down completely, but she cannot help being affected. The floodgates open as her heart shatters into a million pieces. Turning away, she falls into Marga's arms and weeps uncontrollably, pressing her face into her friend's shoulder. "Why?" she sobs.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 70) for seeing [b]Jackson[/b]'s corpse: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:00 pm
by Overlord87

It takes Roger a few minutes to regain his composure. Elias wouldn't want this. He would want his friends to strengthen up and do something. As he always did, he would want for us to search the truth.

He stands up slowly, a determined expression on his face. The same expressione he's wearing when he enters again in that damned hotel room. He looks for a brief instant at Amy, crying in Marga's arms, then focus his attention on the men. "Any idea on who did this? And why?"

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:52 pm
by Quatermass
Horatio looks at Amy with a expression of deep sadness. "Oh Amy........" he mumbles. Looking around at the others he shakes his head as if to clear his mind. "Quickly, before the police come. Search the room for clues." He stammers to Roger.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:19 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy takes a handkerchief out of her purse and mops up her tears until it is sopping wet. "I'll do what I can to help," she finally manages, sniffling. "We have to find out who these guys are and why they..." A fresh round of crying ensues.

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:50 am
by RonaHattingh
Marga feels for her friend, Amy. "Yes, we will help where we can." With Amy starting to cry again, Marga can only hold her until the bout of crying subsides. "We need to be strong for Jackson and our friends, Amy, they are going to need us now."

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:49 pm
by DrPeterson

"See if you can find a diary or his notes, there must be something he wrote down about all this."

Horatio then retrieves his hat and puts it back on and then frowns deeply as he looks at Jackson.

"Sorry about this, old boy."

He leans close to his friend's dead body and goes through his pockets, looking for anything that might help.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy nods, sniffling again. "I'll try," she says to Marga. "This is the only way I can still help Jackson." She begins searching the room, checking the nightstands and the dresser, looking inside the drawers for anything that might be important.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:36 am
by Dave Syrinx
Gerald checks for a travel log or tickets from Jackson's travels. If they can track his movements, they just might know who these thugs are working for. Even maps might tell something about where he's been.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:32 pm
by Overlord87

Roger inspects Elias' luggage, trying to determine where he was traveling. Did he pack for a warm climate? A cold one? Did he expect to deal with humidity and rain? Did he bring something back from his travels?

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:13 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Wrapping up the quick search, Gerald pulls Marga out the room. "Let us greet the officers when they arrive." In the corridor, he adds. "I doubt it will look as we're all innocent up there. Might be good to just scrape by as bystanders." In the elevator down, he asks. "How are you, Dove?"

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:32 pm
by Quatermass
Searching the room, you find these items of interest.

A folded photograph

A business card with a name written on the back.

And a letter

Symbol Carved into Jackson's Forehead

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:39 pm
by Quatermass
The police arrive at the hotel room after Gerald and Margo met them in the lobby. Soon a police detective Poole comes on the scene and takes control of the situation.

Detective Poole

Your group is questioned and statements are taken. Detective Poole gets your names, addresses, and phone numbers. The two men that you captured are taken into custody and leave in a paddy wagon. Artemis's wound is treated and he goes to the hospital to get some stiches and is released. It is late in the evening when you are finally allowed to go. Your group stands on the street outside the Chelsea as Elias's body is taken out.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:11 pm
by DrPeterson

Horatio had spoken truthfully about Elias's whereabouts and what might have gotten him into his current predicament, theorising a run-in with an overzealous religious group and pointing out Jackson's past and publications. Of the clues they'd found, he'd made no mention.

Later, outside the hotel, Horatio takes off his hat in salute as Jackson's corpse is evacuated and he puts a hand on Amy's shoulder.

"He was truly one of the finest men I'd ever had the privilege of knowing, Miss Lawrence. The world is a darker place without him."

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:59 am
by Ritterton
"I agree Horatio, he was especially kind to those of us where were just minor acquaintances in his life," he bowed his head as he held his hat in his hands as the body was taken away from the hospital. His jacket had a stain, and a hole in it, but it also had in its pockets the clues he had taken from the one man that he and Anderson had stopped. "I suggest we find a quiet room to have a drink, eat if anyone can even do so, and talk about what we know at this point."

Artemis gave Horatio a nod and wink.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:58 am
by kabukiman
-Yes, we may not help him now, but maybe we can discover the reasons for this madness.- says Anderson.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:13 am
by RonaHattingh
Marga holds onto Gerald's hand. She is in shock. Marga dimly hears Artemis talk about meeting somewhere to talk about what happened.

"Yes, I think it is a good idea and the drink a better idea."

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:06 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Having just glanced at the documents briefly, Gerald says. "What I gleaned, this is most certainly having something to do with books found at Harvard Uni Library. Knowing Jackson, I'd bet my pipe on it." He gather the others in the corridor. "Ladies and gents, why not converge at Prospero House? We do need to bring the fact to Jonah Kensington speedily. Then he'd most probably let us have a room to shed some light on what's occurred."

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:28 pm
by DrPeterson

"Jonah Kensington wasn't in town when I called earlier today. It might be more proper to go to a place where we get some refreshments and fortify our bodies as well as our minds."

Horatio put on his hat and muttered.

"I, for one, could sure use a stiff drink."

He then cleared his throat and looked up.

"Perhaps a refreshing walk to clear our noses while we talk? We can send a telegram to Prospero House once we've got our bearings straight."

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:38 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"I know a Blind Tiger on 25th Street. Ol' Joe's Trattoria. They have a mean a lá carte." Gerald suggests.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:18 pm
by Ritterton
"Sounds great, lead the way," Artemis motioned with his walking stick as if to open the way forward towards Gerald and his proffered dressmaker.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy had tearfully answered the police's questions, telling them what little she had seen and knew. She walks along, feeling numb and lightheaded. "That sounds good to me too," she manages. "I think some good food will help. I've never had a drink in my life - Prohibition went into effect before I was old enough - but I could sure use one now, even if it's not exactly legal."

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:27 pm
by Overlord87

"Well, I sure would like a drink right now. Then we've got to decide our next move. Whoever did this has to pay".

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:38 pm
by Quatermass
Gerald leads you the restaurant that he knows and you get a table in the back. It is late and it is not very busy. A few bills are passed to the waiter and a couple of wine bottles in brown paper bags appear at your table.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy slides into her seat, completely drained. She folds her arms on the table, lowers her head onto them, and weeps.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:53 pm
by DrPeterson

Horatio isn't at all used to dealing with such public displays of emotions, and he puts an awkward, though comforting hand on Amy's shoulder.
"There, there,...", he manages to mutter and then turns away, shuffling in his seat.

He clears his throat, fills his glass and raises it.
"My dear friends, for I believe we have surpassed the level of acquaintances through our ordeals, let us drink to the spirit of those we have lost."

He downs his glass in one go and refills it before sitting down.

He lets out a deep sigh, his mind racing to and fro, the memory of Jackson's bloody corpse mind and the jumble of the past few hours trying their best to constrict his thought processes.

"A shady looking bar, perhaps in the Orient, perhaps in any harbour in the world. A London based research Foundation, a letter from a Gyppo, a blurry picture of a steamer, a card for some shipping firm and letter from Harvard." He frowns as he sums up their clues. "Not to mention that ... symbol."

Letting out a deep sigh, Horatio looks around the table.

"Any thoughts?"

Quatermass,Given Horatio's academic background and Englishness, would he have heard anything of the Penhew Foundation?

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:30 am
by Ritterton
Artemis found a seat, ordered the daily special, and poured himself a glass of the wine that Horatio procured. He looked over the other items that had been found in Jackson's room while others looked through the times he and Gerald had found from the villain they had apprehended. He looked for patterns, symbols, and then took a big swig of the wine.

"I wonder if the picture is from Shanghai?"he asked the others as he filled his glass again. See there is a junk in the harbor and that might be where the business card is from. Seems like we have clues in Shanghai, Egypt, London, New York, and Harvard. We cannot split up at this point and I agree with Horatio, we have become too close and too involved not to get to the bottom of this together." He saw Amy in tears, her head on the table, and gulped.

"Horatio, I say we call on this Emerson company here in New York, first thing in the morning." Artemis took a sip of the wine and looked for the waiter hoping food was forth coming. "This one from Egypt talks about something Jackson was interested in purchasing. What if he did, and had it shipped back to this Emerson company?"

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy raises her head, squeezing Horatio's hand weakly. "Th...thank you," she says. With her other hand, she takes the cloth napkin from her place settings and dries her eyes. "I don't understand why you didn't show these things to the police. Wouldn't we be better off working with them? I agree that we're best off starting with the more local leads, first the one in New York and later Harvard." She pours some wine into her glass, her hand trembling, and then swallows it. It hits her hard, and she is unprepared for it. The drink makes her head feel even lighter, as if it could float away.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:35 am
by kabukiman
Anderson takes a drink and nods.
"Yes, we need to stay together. It will be easier to defend us, look how we worked so well against those criminals. If only Jackson had trusted us, we could have probably save him"- he sights.

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:56 pm
by Quatermass
DrPeterson wrote:
Quatermass,Given Horatio's academic background and Englishness, would he have heard anything of the Penhew Foundation?
Horatio,Now that you think about it. Wasn't the Penhew Foundation involved with the Carlyle Expedition? Your not sure.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"He trusted us," says Amy. "He was just reluctant to involve us - especially me - because he thought it was dangerous, and boy was he right! I thought the danger was abroad, though. I wasn't expecting anything to happen to him once he got back to New York. I thought he was safe..." Amy dabs her watery eyes again with the soggy napkin, which is so damp now that it does no good whatsoever.

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:51 am
by Ritterton
"Hmhm, I wonder," Artemis looked at the array of items and swirled the wine in his glass. "Amy, do you think the Public Library here or one of the college libraries might have newspapers from Shanghai and Cairo? What about the expedition too? Might be something a librarian could help two college researchers with if we were to ask. Plus, we need to see if this Silas N'Rwane shows up in a City Directory. That could be another lead here in the City."

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:24 am
by Dave Syrinx
Sipping on a mug of spirits, Greald considers the facts laid out before them all. What if I proffer our ideas to the police. That we believe Jackson had some investigation on the Carlyle Expedition? Did you mention that already to the officer? That and a possible lead from the thugs they have in custody? What if I go to the precinct and volunteer this information as a friend. I could ask if they know where the men come from."

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:43 am
by kabukiman
"The police has already arrested the criiminals. Do you think that they will try to investigate in Shangai or Cairo? No, we must discover alone the true reasons to this crime."

Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:33 pm
by Ritterton
"I agree that the police won't investigate overseas, but I wonder if there could be something learned from the police detective that could be helpful." Artemis sighed and leaned back in his chair. "We need more information and with that some help as well. Having a police contact could be worthwhile if there is a gang here in the City beyond those we helped catch."

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"The New York Public Library and Columbia's library are both excellent resources," says Amy, relaxing now that she's on more familiar territory. "Both have periodicals sections, but I doubt that they'd have newspapers from far-flung places such as Cairo and Shanghai. London, perhaps, but even that's not certain. And I definitely agree that we should work with the police on any local investigations and share what we know."

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:23 pm
by DrPeterson
Horatio leans back in his chair and looks at the gathering.

"It seems a plan is forming then. We need a party to do some research at the libraries. I believe Miss Lawrence would be most suited for that." He turns to Amy. "It might not hurt to look into the Carlyle expedition too, maybe we'll find what drew Jackson to it in the first place. If I recall correctly, the Penhew Foundation was somehow involved, although I can't remember the particulars."

He clears his throat and sips from his glass.

"Mr. Thomson's idea makes sense too. It would indeed help to have the local brass on our side, or at least vaguely on our side, should anything untoward transpire.

And I would very much like to see who this Silas N'Kwane is, it sounds like a swahili name, so he shouldn't be too hard to spot at Emerson Imports.
"

Horatio smiles.

"I wouldn't mind some extra muscle if I'm going into the harbour, though."

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I can manage that," says Amy. "I'll look into the Carlyle expedition first. That may lead to further avenues of research. It'll take some time, but I can do it."

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:48 am
by Overlord87

Roger has been silent so far, lost in thought. "I doubt the police will be able to help us much, but in principle I see no reason to ignore a possible source of help and information. Just... they won't probably like the idea of us performing our investigation separately. That's how they are. We should be cautious. And talking of caution... those people that killed Jackson... they are dangerous. We should stick together as much as possible, and be armed. i hope I'm not being paranoid, but as they say, better safe than sorry. Someone should accompany Amy to the library, just in case." Roger pauses for a few seconds, his gaze lost in his glass of whiskey. "Let's start by investigating the leads that are more geographically close. Then we'll decide if and where to travel next. At the moment we're moving in the dark, not knowing where we are and where we should go."

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:40 pm
by Mr. Handy

A sudden shiver runs down Amy's back. She had been so focused on Jackson that she hadn't thought of the possibility that she could be in danger. "You're right, I think that's for the best," she says. "Jackson was worried, and for good reason. Whoever accompanies me should also be skilled at research, which will speed up the process."

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:24 am
by Ritterton
"So, we have three places to go," Artemis started to count off the locales with his fingers. "First, the library to see what if anything we can find about the Expedition, or things that occurred in Shanghai or Cairo. Second, we have Emerson Imports and the docks. Third, we have the Police Detective's office. So, I can see myself helping with the first two, and not being that helpful at Police Station."

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:24 am
by kabukiman
"I don't mind to go to any of the first two places too. About the police, I don't have much credit there, but we acn always say we were friends and are worried. And that is true."- says Anderson.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:05 pm
by DrPeterson
"We are agreed then! Dr. Anderson can accompany Miss Lawrence to the library, Miss Maritz can help Mr. Thomson charm the police, and we three, gentlemen, " Horatio nods at Roger and Artemis " can go ask around Emerson Imports. "

Horatio finishes his wine and looks around the table.

"I think I share your concern about safety, though. We need to acquire a few pistols at least."

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"I've never fired a gun before," says Amy, "so I suppose I'd better learn how. If I'd gone to that room alone, I'd have been helpless." She trembles with the thought.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:26 am
by kabukiman
"Any of use alone would be dead, they were several."

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:06 pm
by Ritterton
"Sounds like a plan then, Horatio, a good one." Artemis finally had his food arrive as he responded. As he raised a fork, "Maybe we meet early in the morning, find a few pistols somewhere here in the City, and then head to the docks like you said."

Hunger finally overcame the emotions of the day and his visit to the hospital. He ate his food with a focused determination, his mind going over the events of the day between bites. The conversation around the table faded in his mind as he ate a meal that seemed much better than it should have any other time.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:20 pm
by Quatermass
Late in the evening your group breaks ups. You arrange to meet up in the morning to go about your assigned tasks. That night your sleep is troubled with dreams of dark men with knives and the sight of your dead friend.

Amy and Michael head to Columbia University to research the Carlyle Expedition and the Penhew Foundation.

Gerald and Marga head to the Police Precinct to talk to Detective Poole.

Horatio, Artemis, and Roger travel to the east side docks to find Emerson Imports.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:37 pm
by Quatermass
Columbia University

Amy and Michael arrive at the University grounds. Both know it well and soon they are searching through the many books and records for anything on the Carlyle Expedition and the Penhew Foundation.
OOC:   Please make a Use Library skill check.  

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:51 pm
by Quatermass
Emerson Imports - Eastside Docks

Horatio, Artemis, and Roger find Emerson Imports on the Eastside near the docks. There is a office next to a medium sized warehouse with several trucks being loaded and unloaded out front.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:59 pm
by Quatermass
23nd Police Precinct

Gerald and Marga walk into the police precinct. It is a noisy place with blue uniformed officers and others going about their business.

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:19 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Gerald hold the door open to the singer. Upon entering, he walks to the desk and asks, "Good day, constable. May I speak to the detective in charge of the Hotel Chelsea break-in murder of a Jackson Elias? The name is Thomson, Mr Thomson." He uses his best old lecturer stare at the constable.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy is at home in the library, and working helps her take her mind off of the pain of losing Jackson, plus she feels like she's doing something to help. She is easily able to navigate the stacks and find the information she needs about the Carlyle Expedition and the Penhew Foundation.
OOC,[b]Michael[/b] could research a different topic, such as the Cairo and Shanghai leads. Library Use roll (70% skill) researching the [b]Carlyle[/b] Expedition: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:18 am
by Ritterton
They had taken the trolley towards the piers that looked out from Manhattan towards the Jersey shore. They worked their way through the streets and walks of the City as they walked towards the address on the found business card. They had made good time, grabbing a quick bite from one of the many folks peddling rolls and such for morning fare. As they came upon the Emerson Imports address, they saw men hustling about working dollies with wooden crates, barrels, and similar such items.

"So, I think we try the easy approach, go in and ask if by any chance they have the cargo we are expecting and maybe play off one of us as Jackson? or working for him as his hired hands to pick up a package?" Artemis shrugged as he spoke indicating that this was the best idea he had come up with during their morning travels.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:22 am
by kabukiman
Anderson is distracted from the shock of what happened, and cannot concentrate himself, so he miss any clue.

http://orokos.com/roll/379786
(library use 45%, roll 59%, fail).

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:39 am
by DrPeterson
Emerson Imports - Eastside Docks

"Impersonating Jackson might unmask us rather prematurely, old boy. I do concur with your plan to just ask for any shipments and Mr. N'Kwane. We can say we're Jackson's friends here to pick up his effects. We won't even have to lie."

With a grin Horatio finished his prawn roll and stepped into the office.

"Top of the morning to you all! We're here to inquire about a shipment." He said with his friendliest smile.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:31 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga tries too look like a simpering, young miss, even though she doesn't have one simpering bone in her body, it will not help if her pushy, forward self botches this mission.

Marga hangs onto Gerald's arm and squeezes some tears through her eye, which isn't hard to do, when she thinks of Jackson's mutilated body. She hopes one look at her tear streaked cheeks would convince somebody to avoid the outburst of hysterics she is about to perform.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:31 pm
by Quatermass
Police Station

"That would be detective Poole." Says I uniformed officer. He guides you to a office and opens the door. "Poole? There are some people to see you." The police detective from last night sits at a desk going over some papers. "Oh yes. Please come in and be seated. Coffee?"

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:34 pm
by Quatermass
Emerson Imports

A man sets at a desk going over some paperwork and another is over at a filing cabinet. The man at the desk gets up and comes over and shakes your hand. "Tom Emerson at your service. What shipment are you looking for?"

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:40 pm
by Quatermass
Amy and Anderson spend most of the morning looking through old newspapers and other periodicals. It is Amy who finds several clipping that are of interest. She also finds a couple of news reels about the expedition.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This is a great find," says Amy, "but it only provides more questions than answers. Why were they really in East Africa? Do you suppose they were looking for King Solomon's Mines? For all we know, they might have found them...or something...but they never lived to tell anyone. And poor Erica Carlyle." Amy's heart goes out to her, for she too has lost someone she loves. "She was so brave, leading the search for her missing brother. Perhaps we should talk to her. I think she and I have much in common." She checks her watch. "I think we have more time to continue our research into other topics. We still need to find out what we can about the clues pointing to Cairo and Shanghai, and maybe we can find out about this Silas N'Kwame person."

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:13 am
by kabukiman
This is a great find, you did a fantastic job. So, Jackson was investigating that expedition and he was killed? You think that those savages were the members of this tribe, the Nandi?

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:28 pm
by Overlord87
Emerson Imports

Roger flashes his most reassuring, fatherly smile. "Well, that is the fact, Mr. Emerson, we don't know for sure. We have been told to contact Mr. Nkwane. Does the name ring a bell?" Roger shows the man the business card.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:03 pm
by Quatermass
Emerson Imports

"Mr. Nkwane?" Mr. Emerson says with a slightly confused look on his face. "That's strange. Your the second person this week to ask about Mr. Nkwane. Well not directly. Mr Nkwane buys items from Africa and I import them for him."

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well, that's what the news reports said," says Amy. "Whether or not it's true is another question. There must have been more to it than meets the eye for it to pique Jackson's interest."

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:13 am
by Ritterton
EMERSON IMPORTS

Artemis watched as the Mr. Emerson answered Anderson's inquiry. He scanned the office to look to see if any thing else might give some idea as to Emerson's background or business connections.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:57 am
by kabukiman
"No, I'm telling about the savages that killed Jackson. Maybe he discovered something about them, and they came after him?"

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:46 pm
by Quatermass
Columbia University

Amy finds a picture of the Expedition before they left for London.

First Row: Sir Aubrey Penhew, Hypatia Masters, Roger Carlyle
Second Row: Doctor Robert Houston, Jack Brady
OOC:   Just for clarity. That is a woman behind Houston and Brady and not a picture or painting.  

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:14 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"No, thank you, not for me. We're here to inquire about who that was that murdered our friend Jackson Elias. We had heard that he was on his way back to meet with us from a trip on the SS Minetonka. Did he meet his attacker on the boat here? Have you interviewed the persons caught in the act? We fear we may be in danger as well. I did run after one of the attackers. He did see my face, so I'm afraid he might return to carve my innings out. Are we safe here in New York, or are the streets turning to a jungle of dangers?" He presses
Marga's hand. "I'm about to set out on an expedition to Morocco but wants to know if I can leave the Big Apple in the care of the Blues. Do you need a coupe of eyes or any inout in what Mr Elias had been doing? We are a couple of friends of Elias' who are really concerned. We could prove helpful in vouching for who Elias was and how he worked. That might shed some light on why those people attacked him. So, Inspector Poole, are you getting anywhere with whom those thugs are working for? I wouldn't want to cross paths with the wrong people in preparing my trip."

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:28 pm
by DrPeterson
Emerson Imports

Horatio flashes Emerson his most charming smile.

"Ah yes, that probably was our friend, tallish chap, dashing moustache, cavalier stride?"

Horatio looks at his companions for a moment, this man seemed bona fide, so he didn't see much harm in pushing the inquiry.

"It is on his behalf that we are researching this Mr. N'Kwane, could you perhaps be so kind as to send us in his direction?
"

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"That does sound plausible," says Amy, wincing at the reminder of the murder. "The two things must be connected somehow. But how would savage tribesmen afford passage from East Africa to New York?" She examines the picture. "I wonder who the mystery lady was? She's beautiful."

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:35 am
by kabukiman
"Yes, that is strange, you are right. Beautiful? Well, if you like the kind."

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:42 pm
by Quatermass
Emerson Imports

[
DrPeterson wrote:b]Horatio [/b]flashes Emerson his most charming smile.

"Ah yes, that probably was our friend, tallish chap, dashing moustache, cavalier stride?"

Horatio looks at his companions for a moment, this man seemed bona fide, so he didn't see much harm in pushing the inquiry.

"It is on his behalf that we are researching this Mr. N'Kwane, could you perhaps be so kind as to send us in his direction?
"
"Mr. N'kwane owns a curio and antique store over in Harlem called The JuJu House. It specializes in African bric-a-brac." Says Mr. Emerson. He gets a piece of paper and writes an address on it. "Here you go."

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:46 pm
by Quatermass
Dave wrote:"No, thank you, not for me. We're here to inquire about who that was that murdered our friend Jackson Elias. We had heard that he was on his way back to meet with us from a trip on the SS Minetonka. Did he meet his attacker on the boat here? Have you interviewed the persons caught in the act? We fear we may be in danger as well. I did run after one of the attackers. He did see my face, so I'm afraid he might return to carve my innings out. Are we safe here in New York, or are the streets turning to a jungle of dangers?" He presses
Marga's hand. "I'm about to set out on an expedition to Morocco but wants to know if I can leave the Big Apple in the care of the Blues. Do you need a coupe of eyes or any inout in what Mr Elias had been doing? We are a couple of friends of Elias' who are really concerned. We could prove helpful in vouching for who Elias was and how he worked. That might shed some light on why those people attacked him. So, Inspector Poole, are you getting anywhere with whom those thugs are working for? I wouldn't want to cross paths with the wrong people in preparing my trip."
"I doubt they were working for anyone." says Poole. "Just a bunch of thugs in a robbery gone wrong. One of the murders is a known drug addict."

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:02 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"Well, that's fined then." Gerald prepares to leave. "I guess I'm jumping at my own shadow. Thank you inspector." He turns to Marga and says. "We'll just need to know where Elias came from and make sure he did get all his luggage when he left." Turning back to Poole, "Did you get a confirmation on where Elias arrived from before putting up at Chelsea Hotel? We're considering tracing his last step abroad. Prior to our arrival to Morocco. As honoring his memory."

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Is there enough time left today to research a second topic?

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:27 am
by Ritterton
Emerson Imports

Artemis smiled as Emerson gave the address to the JuJu house to Henderson. He smiled, "Thank you. Appreciate the help. But, by any chance did you recently handle any package from Shanghai or Egypt shipped to a Mr. Jackson Elias?"

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:59 pm
by Quatermass
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Is there enough time left today to research a second topic?
Yes

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I'll see if I can find anything out about this Faraz Najir," says Amy. "Maybe you should try to look into the Stumbling Tiger bar in Shanghai, though it's possible you won't find anything on that."
OOC,Library Use roll (70% skill) researching anything related to Faraz Najir in Cairo and his possible connection to the Carlyle Expedition: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:33 pm
by DrPeterson
Emerson Imports

Horatio is his charming self.

"Did he by any chance mention why he was interested in Mr. N'Kwane, or perhaps what he was looking for?"

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:48 am
by kabukiman
Anderson finds some erotic magazine and spends all time reading it, pretending he is doing the search.

http://orokos.com/roll/382836
(library 45%, result, 99%!)

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:25 pm
by Quatermass
kabukiman wrote:Anderson finds some erotic magazine and spends all time reading it, pretending he is doing the search.

http://orokos.com/roll/382836
(library 45%, result, 99%!)

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:27 pm
by Quatermass
DrPeterson wrote:Emerson Imports

Horatio is his charming self.

"Did he by any chance mention why he was interested in Mr. N'Kwane, or perhaps what he was looking for?"
"Mr. Jackson said that he knew of relative of Mr. N'Kwane from Africa and wanted to contact him." says Emerson.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:28 pm
by Quatermass
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"I'll see if I can find anything out about this Faraz Najir," says Amy. "Maybe you should try to look into the Stumbling Tiger bar in Shanghai, though it's possible you won't find anything on that."
Amy finds nothing on Faraz Najir or The Stumbling Tiger bar. You do find something on the unnamed lady in the photograph. She is mentioned several times in the gossip column though never mentioned by name. It is noted that a exotic negro woman was seen with Roger Carlyle on several occasions and that they were whispered to be a item.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:30 pm
by Quatermass
Ritterton wrote:Emerson Imports

Artemis smiled as Emerson gave the address to the JuJu house to Henderson. He smiled, "Thank you. Appreciate the help. But, by any chance did you recently handle any package from Shanghai or Egypt shipped to a Mr. Jackson Elias?"
"No. Not at all. He said he was looking for Mr. N'Kwane on a personal matter."

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:36 pm
by Overlord87
Emerson Imports

"Well, thank you a lot sir. It seems we'll just have to meet Mr. N'Kwane in person then. Have a nice day". He shakes the man's hand and heads for the exit. Next stop, Harlem.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:38 pm
by Quatermass
Dave wrote:"Well, that's fined then." Gerald prepares to leave. "I guess I'm jumping at my own shadow. Thank you inspector." He turns to Marga and says. "We'll just need to know where Elias came from and make sure he did get all his luggage when he left." Turning back to Poole, "Did you get a confirmation on where Elias arrived from before putting up at Chelsea Hotel? We're considering tracing his last step abroad. Prior to our arrival to Morocco. As honoring his memory."
Inspector Poole looks through some notes. "We did find a receipt for a berth aboard a steam ship USS Minetonka. It was purchased in London about a week ago.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:29 pm
by Dave Syrinx
"That's great news, Inspector. Can I transcribe the details, please? That will help me when I reach the London docks. Most appreciated, sir." Gerald looks really relieved.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:25 pm
by Ritterton
Overlord87 wrote:Emerson Imports

"Well, thank you a lot sir. It seems we'll just have to meet Mr. N'Kwane in person then. Have a nice day". He shakes the man's hand and heads for the exit. Next stop, Harlem.
Artemis tipped his hat at Mr. Emerson, shook his hand as well and followed his colleagues out the door. "Hmh...wonder what his connection was to Mr. N'Kwane," Artemis whispered aloud.

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Amy goes over to Michael and fills him in on what she found. "Maybe Erica Carlyle will know who she is," she says. "We'll have to ask her when we talk to her." She glances at the copy of National Geographic he is reading. "Find anything interesting in there?"

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:44 am
by DrPeterson
Emerson Imports

Horatio thanks Emerson and files out with the others.

"Right, chaps, looks like we'll be slumming it before too long. I think that before we delve too deep, it might be prudent to arm ourselves. Now I'm not really accustomed with American firearms laws, so how do you think we'd best tackle this?"

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:25 pm
by RonaHattingh
Marga echos Gerald's relieve. They have something to work with. She gives Gerald's hand a squeeze before she let it go, so that he can copy the details.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:57 pm
by Ritterton
"Horatio, I think we need to figure that out, as New York City has some pretty odd laws on handguns," Richter commented as they were walking away from Emerson Imports. "If we want to do it on the sly, we just need to realize that we could all be facing hard time if something were to go wrong and we have to explain ourselves to the cops. I have my walking stick at the very least, but sure would rather have the lugar I left at home that I brought back from Germany after the war. Great gun, accurate and dependable."

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:23 am
by DrPeterson

"I have quite collection myself, I'm quite fond of sports as you may recall." Horatio smiles and looks out over the docks and towards the sea.

"But alas, our circumstances are not so that we have ample time. I fear that the longer we linger, the colder our trail will become."

He brushes down his coat and then looks at his companions.

"Jackson was alone and caught unaware. We, on the other hand, are three stout men out on the hunt. I think there is little that can overcome us, unless it is armed to the teeth. Those men we took care of looked more the ramshackle sort, I doubt they'll be heavily armed if we find them.
Here's what I propose. Let us go and speak with this Mister N'Kwane, see what we can find out, and then send for weapons if we suspect to require them.
"

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:36 am
by Ritterton
"Agreed Horatio," Richter nodded as he spoke. "I do wonder if we should at least try leaving a note for one of the others back at the Hotel? That way someone knows where we went from the docks?"

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:49 pm
by DrPeterson
"Agreed. We can stop by the post office to send a wire to my hotel. I think I saw one when we entered the docks."

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:26 pm
by kabukiman
"Nothing. It was a pure waste of time; I hope the others had better luck."

Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure they'll have found something," says Amy, "and my own research turned up some useful information and leads for further inquiry."

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:30 pm
by Dave Syrinx
Gerald pens down the information and bids his leave to Inspector Poole. "Thank you for your openness. Now, we're due back at the hotel." He exits with Marga. After some wait for a cab, they are on their way back to their starting point to converge with the other parties.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:27 am
by Ritterton
As the walked to the Post Office, Artemis was scanning the mental image he had of the transit lines in the City. From here to Brooklyn, well we should be able to find a way across down at the Battery, he thought to himself. As they approached the Post Office, he shared his idea. "Fellas, once Horatio gets done sending word to the Hotel, I think we need to walk a few blocks to find a subway heading to the Battery. Should be able to find a connecting line over to Brooklyn. May take a bit though to get there. Speaking of which, where exactly is there?"

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:16 pm
by Dave Syrinx
At Washington Hotel, Gerald takes a seat in the lobby, looking around the room for any of Elias' friends.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:44 pm
by Ritterton
As Horatio went to place the telegraph, Artemis looked at the various features of the Post Office and also at the printed advertisement for the more colorful presidential stamps becoming the norm. The $5 stamp of Freedom would have to be one he added to his boyhood album. He still on occasions purchased new additions for and hinged in those stamps received from correspondents and clients who were abroad. Someday, he suspected his album would be leafed through by another young boy or girl with someone saying, those were your great's, he loved history. He smiled at the thought and notion and joined Horatio when he was finished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_s ... 923-$5.jpg

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:04 pm
by Dave Syrinx
11381d44-a1eb-43a8-a9d4-b13722aa8c2a_zpsio4fvpw1.jpg
Gerald checks the Hotel desk for any messages to anyone connected to a Mr. Jackson Elias. He says he's expecting some directions.
Upon waiting for a while, the clerk hands him a note from Horatio detailing an address in Harlem for a Ju-Ju shop.

"Thank you, Sir.", he thanks the clerk.

To Marga, he says, "It seems we need to head to Harlem for some shopping of curiosa."

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:09 pm
by Ritterton
Artemis followed along with Horatio and Roger as they headed to catch one of the subway lines that would swing them down through the tip of Manhattan and over to Brooklyn. They each bought their fares and worked their ways down into the tiled tunnels leading to the platforms for the train cars. People bounced about them like water moving around pebbles and rocks in a stream. When their train came, they hoped on.

"Horatio, are you more familiar with Brooklyn?" Artemis had sat near a map and was trying to understand which stop they should make to get to their destination. '"I just don't come over this way all that often and usually for the library, museum, or once for a Dodgers game over at - yea at Washington Park here." He tapped a spot on the map.