Chapter 1: New York City

At last the stars are almost right!

Soon Nyarlathotep's plans will come to fruition. Then the world will be changed irrevocably — but not quite yet. Pesky human investigators have learned much. Now they must survive long enough to make sense of what they know, and take resolute action.

Masks of Nyarlathotep is a Lovecraftian exercise in horror and mystery. This Call of Cthulhu roleplaying classic is a series of linked adventures forming one long and unforgettable campaign. Horrifying deeds and dangerous sorcery dog those who dare attempt to unravel the fate of the Carlyle Expedition

Moderator: Quatermass

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years

Re: Chapter 1: New York City

Post by kabukiman »

"No, I'm telling about the savages that killed Jackson. Maybe he discovered something about them, and they came after him?"
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Quatermass »

Columbia University

Amy finds a picture of the Expedition before they left for London.

First Row: Sir Aubrey Penhew, Hypatia Masters, Roger Carlyle
Second Row: Doctor Robert Houston, Jack Brady
OOC:   Just for clarity. That is a woman behind Houston and Brady and not a picture or painting.  
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"No, thank you, not for me. We're here to inquire about who that was that murdered our friend Jackson Elias. We had heard that he was on his way back to meet with us from a trip on the SS Minetonka. Did he meet his attacker on the boat here? Have you interviewed the persons caught in the act? We fear we may be in danger as well. I did run after one of the attackers. He did see my face, so I'm afraid he might return to carve my innings out. Are we safe here in New York, or are the streets turning to a jungle of dangers?" He presses
Marga's hand. "I'm about to set out on an expedition to Morocco but wants to know if I can leave the Big Apple in the care of the Blues. Do you need a coupe of eyes or any inout in what Mr Elias had been doing? We are a couple of friends of Elias' who are really concerned. We could prove helpful in vouching for who Elias was and how he worked. That might shed some light on why those people attacked him. So, Inspector Poole, are you getting anywhere with whom those thugs are working for? I wouldn't want to cross paths with the wrong people in preparing my trip."
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Emerson Imports

Horatio flashes Emerson his most charming smile.

"Ah yes, that probably was our friend, tallish chap, dashing moustache, cavalier stride?"

Horatio looks at his companions for a moment, this man seemed bona fide, so he didn't see much harm in pushing the inquiry.

"It is on his behalf that we are researching this Mr. N'Kwane, could you perhaps be so kind as to send us in his direction?
"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That does sound plausible," says Amy, wincing at the reminder of the murder. "The two things must be connected somehow. But how would savage tribesmen afford passage from East Africa to New York?" She examines the picture. "I wonder who the mystery lady was? She's beautiful."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

"Yes, that is strange, you are right. Beautiful? Well, if you like the kind."
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Emerson Imports

[
DrPeterson wrote:b]Horatio [/b]flashes Emerson his most charming smile.

"Ah yes, that probably was our friend, tallish chap, dashing moustache, cavalier stride?"

Horatio looks at his companions for a moment, this man seemed bona fide, so he didn't see much harm in pushing the inquiry.

"It is on his behalf that we are researching this Mr. N'Kwane, could you perhaps be so kind as to send us in his direction?
"
"Mr. N'kwane owns a curio and antique store over in Harlem called The JuJu House. It specializes in African bric-a-brac." Says Mr. Emerson. He gets a piece of paper and writes an address on it. "Here you go."
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Dave wrote:"No, thank you, not for me. We're here to inquire about who that was that murdered our friend Jackson Elias. We had heard that he was on his way back to meet with us from a trip on the SS Minetonka. Did he meet his attacker on the boat here? Have you interviewed the persons caught in the act? We fear we may be in danger as well. I did run after one of the attackers. He did see my face, so I'm afraid he might return to carve my innings out. Are we safe here in New York, or are the streets turning to a jungle of dangers?" He presses
Marga's hand. "I'm about to set out on an expedition to Morocco but wants to know if I can leave the Big Apple in the care of the Blues. Do you need a coupe of eyes or any inout in what Mr Elias had been doing? We are a couple of friends of Elias' who are really concerned. We could prove helpful in vouching for who Elias was and how he worked. That might shed some light on why those people attacked him. So, Inspector Poole, are you getting anywhere with whom those thugs are working for? I wouldn't want to cross paths with the wrong people in preparing my trip."
"I doubt they were working for anyone." says Poole. "Just a bunch of thugs in a robbery gone wrong. One of the murders is a known drug addict."
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"Well, that's fined then." Gerald prepares to leave. "I guess I'm jumping at my own shadow. Thank you inspector." He turns to Marga and says. "We'll just need to know where Elias came from and make sure he did get all his luggage when he left." Turning back to Poole, "Did you get a confirmation on where Elias arrived from before putting up at Chelsea Hotel? We're considering tracing his last step abroad. Prior to our arrival to Morocco. As honoring his memory."
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Is there enough time left today to research a second topic?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by Ritterton »

Emerson Imports

Artemis smiled as Emerson gave the address to the JuJu house to Henderson. He smiled, "Thank you. Appreciate the help. But, by any chance did you recently handle any package from Shanghai or Egypt shipped to a Mr. Jackson Elias?"
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Is there enough time left today to research a second topic?
Yes
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll see if I can find anything out about this Faraz Najir," says Amy. "Maybe you should try to look into the Stumbling Tiger bar in Shanghai, though it's possible you won't find anything on that."
OOC,Library Use roll (70% skill) researching anything related to Faraz Najir in Cairo and his possible connection to the Carlyle Expedition: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Emerson Imports

Horatio is his charming self.

"Did he by any chance mention why he was interested in Mr. N'Kwane, or perhaps what he was looking for?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

Anderson finds some erotic magazine and spends all time reading it, pretending he is doing the search.

http://orokos.com/roll/382836
(library 45%, result, 99%!)
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

kabukiman wrote:Anderson finds some erotic magazine and spends all time reading it, pretending he is doing the search.

http://orokos.com/roll/382836
(library 45%, result, 99%!)
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

DrPeterson wrote:Emerson Imports

Horatio is his charming self.

"Did he by any chance mention why he was interested in Mr. N'Kwane, or perhaps what he was looking for?"
"Mr. Jackson said that he knew of relative of Mr. N'Kwane from Africa and wanted to contact him." says Emerson.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"I'll see if I can find anything out about this Faraz Najir," says Amy. "Maybe you should try to look into the Stumbling Tiger bar in Shanghai, though it's possible you won't find anything on that."
Amy finds nothing on Faraz Najir or The Stumbling Tiger bar. You do find something on the unnamed lady in the photograph. She is mentioned several times in the gossip column though never mentioned by name. It is noted that a exotic negro woman was seen with Roger Carlyle on several occasions and that they were whispered to be a item.
Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Quatermass »

Ritterton wrote:Emerson Imports

Artemis smiled as Emerson gave the address to the JuJu house to Henderson. He smiled, "Thank you. Appreciate the help. But, by any chance did you recently handle any package from Shanghai or Egypt shipped to a Mr. Jackson Elias?"
"No. Not at all. He said he was looking for Mr. N'Kwane on a personal matter."
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Overlord87 »

Emerson Imports

"Well, thank you a lot sir. It seems we'll just have to meet Mr. N'Kwane in person then. Have a nice day". He shakes the man's hand and heads for the exit. Next stop, Harlem.

Return to “Quatermass's Masks of Nyarlathotep”