Chapter 1: New York City

At last the stars are almost right!

Soon Nyarlathotep's plans will come to fruition. Then the world will be changed irrevocably — but not quite yet. Pesky human investigators have learned much. Now they must survive long enough to make sense of what they know, and take resolute action.

Masks of Nyarlathotep is a Lovecraftian exercise in horror and mystery. This Call of Cthulhu roleplaying classic is a series of linked adventures forming one long and unforgettable campaign. Horrifying deeds and dangerous sorcery dog those who dare attempt to unravel the fate of the Carlyle Expedition

Moderator: Quatermass

Quatermass
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 13 years

Re: Chapter 1: New York City

Post by Quatermass »

Dave wrote:"Well, that's fined then." Gerald prepares to leave. "I guess I'm jumping at my own shadow. Thank you inspector." He turns to Marga and says. "We'll just need to know where Elias came from and make sure he did get all his luggage when he left." Turning back to Poole, "Did you get a confirmation on where Elias arrived from before putting up at Chelsea Hotel? We're considering tracing his last step abroad. Prior to our arrival to Morocco. As honoring his memory."
Inspector Poole looks through some notes. "We did find a receipt for a berth aboard a steam ship USS Minetonka. It was purchased in London about a week ago.
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Dave Syrinx »

"That's great news, Inspector. Can I transcribe the details, please? That will help me when I reach the London docks. Most appreciated, sir." Gerald looks really relieved.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

Overlord87 wrote:Emerson Imports

"Well, thank you a lot sir. It seems we'll just have to meet Mr. N'Kwane in person then. Have a nice day". He shakes the man's hand and heads for the exit. Next stop, Harlem.
Artemis tipped his hat at Mr. Emerson, shook his hand as well and followed his colleagues out the door. "Hmh...wonder what his connection was to Mr. N'Kwane," Artemis whispered aloud.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Amy goes over to Michael and fills him in on what she found. "Maybe Erica Carlyle will know who she is," she says. "We'll have to ask her when we talk to her." She glances at the copy of National Geographic he is reading. "Find anything interesting in there?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Emerson Imports

Horatio thanks Emerson and files out with the others.

"Right, chaps, looks like we'll be slumming it before too long. I think that before we delve too deep, it might be prudent to arm ourselves. Now I'm not really accustomed with American firearms laws, so how do you think we'd best tackle this?"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
RonaHattingh
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by RonaHattingh »

Marga echos Gerald's relieve. They have something to work with. She gives Gerald's hand a squeeze before she let it go, so that he can copy the details.
"With friends like this, who needs dynamite?"
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Horatio, I think we need to figure that out, as New York City has some pretty odd laws on handguns," Richter commented as they were walking away from Emerson Imports. "If we want to do it on the sly, we just need to realize that we could all be facing hard time if something were to go wrong and we have to explain ourselves to the cops. I have my walking stick at the very least, but sure would rather have the lugar I left at home that I brought back from Germany after the war. Great gun, accurate and dependable."
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"I have quite collection myself, I'm quite fond of sports as you may recall." Horatio smiles and looks out over the docks and towards the sea.

"But alas, our circumstances are not so that we have ample time. I fear that the longer we linger, the colder our trail will become."

He brushes down his coat and then looks at his companions.

"Jackson was alone and caught unaware. We, on the other hand, are three stout men out on the hunt. I think there is little that can overcome us, unless it is armed to the teeth. Those men we took care of looked more the ramshackle sort, I doubt they'll be heavily armed if we find them.
Here's what I propose. Let us go and speak with this Mister N'Kwane, see what we can find out, and then send for weapons if we suspect to require them.
"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Agreed Horatio," Richter nodded as he spoke. "I do wonder if we should at least try leaving a note for one of the others back at the Hotel? That way someone knows where we went from the docks?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple

Post by DrPeterson »

"Agreed. We can stop by the post office to send a wire to my hotel. I think I saw one when we entered the docks."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by kabukiman »

"Nothing. It was a pure waste of time; I hope the others had better luck."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sure they'll have found something," says Amy, "and my own research turned up some useful information and leads for further inquiry."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

Gerald pens down the information and bids his leave to Inspector Poole. "Thank you for your openness. Now, we're due back at the hotel." He exits with Marga. After some wait for a cab, they are on their way back to their starting point to converge with the other parties.
TVblog
The soul trembles before emptiness and desires contact at any price. Doctor Glass

"It is invigorating, being asked personal questions." "Makes one feel desired." Luv (BR2049)
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

As the walked to the Post Office, Artemis was scanning the mental image he had of the transit lines in the City. From here to Brooklyn, well we should be able to find a way across down at the Battery, he thought to himself. As they approached the Post Office, he shared his idea. "Fellas, once Horatio gets done sending word to the Hotel, I think we need to walk a few blocks to find a subway heading to the Battery. Should be able to find a connecting line over to Brooklyn. May take a bit though to get there. Speaking of which, where exactly is there?"
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

At Washington Hotel, Gerald takes a seat in the lobby, looking around the room for any of Elias' friends.
TVblog

Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

As Horatio went to place the telegraph, Artemis looked at the various features of the Post Office and also at the printed advertisement for the more colorful presidential stamps becoming the norm. The $5 stamp of Freedom would have to be one he added to his boyhood album. He still on occasions purchased new additions for and hinged in those stamps received from correspondents and clients who were abroad. Someday, he suspected his album would be leafed through by another young boy or girl with someone saying, those were your great's, he loved history. He smiled at the thought and notion and joined Horatio when he was finished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postage_s ... 923-$5.jpg
Dave Syrinx
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Dave Syrinx »

11381d44-a1eb-43a8-a9d4-b13722aa8c2a_zpsio4fvpw1.jpg
Gerald checks the Hotel desk for any messages to anyone connected to a Mr. Jackson Elias. He says he's expecting some directions.
Upon waiting for a while, the clerk hands him a note from Horatio detailing an address in Harlem for a Ju-Ju shop.

"Thank you, Sir.", he thanks the clerk.

To Marga, he says, "It seems we need to head to Harlem for some shopping of curiosa."
TVblog

Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis followed along with Horatio and Roger as they headed to catch one of the subway lines that would swing them down through the tip of Manhattan and over to Brooklyn. They each bought their fares and worked their ways down into the tiled tunnels leading to the platforms for the train cars. People bounced about them like water moving around pebbles and rocks in a stream. When their train came, they hoped on.

"Horatio, are you more familiar with Brooklyn?" Artemis had sat near a map and was trying to understand which stop they should make to get to their destination. '"I just don't come over this way all that often and usually for the library, museum, or once for a Dodgers game over at - yea at Washington Park here." He tapped a spot on the map.

Return to “Quatermass's Masks of Nyarlathotep”