[IC - MEXICO] La Paz

A decade ago, a band of occult investigators battled against the summoning of an ancient and monstrous evil. They failed. Now you must piece together the puzzle and finish what they could not. The stakes are high, and so is the price to pay. Can you do it?

Moderator: Overlord87

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: [IC - MEXICO] La Paz

Post by Overlord87 »

Elena nods and answers: "Yes, I know both of them. Javier Luna plays here quite often, with a group of four... Javier Luna Y Su Sonriendo Tontos, that's their name", she cracks a smile before continuing, "Nice fellows, people here likes their music. Javier Luna, Hector Juarez, Pedro de Leon and Hernando Campos. As a matter of fact, we're having them play here tomorrow night. If you want to listen to them, you can join us - it's an open event". She then seems lost in thought for a moment, before continuing: "Leticia de la Luz... that's her stage name, you know? Even though she started using it as her real name at a certain point. But her name is Rosario Maria Lopez. She used to sing here in '32 and '33, going by her real name. She had an incredible voice. In '33 she took her stage name, and her music became increasingly more... weird. Experimental. And don't get me wrong, I like experimental stuff, but her songs... There were some clients who liked them, so we called her up until '35, when she slowly disappeared from the scene. But I quite never enjoyed them. During her shows, I found myself singing this old song from my childhood, a Nahuatl folksong my grandmother taught me, to sing when I was scared. Weird, huh?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that is weird," says Holly. "Maybe there was something frightening about her music. I would like to hear Javier Luna and his group perform. What time is their act tomorrow night?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by HelplessBystander »

"Could you elaborate on the connection between the nahuatl folk song and the music Leticia performs? There's some connections to be made there, I worry." Huang Yan said, smiling.
My Call of Cthulhu Campaigns:
Dead Men Walking (Looking for new members)
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christoper ambles over to the others and throws a polite nod and smile to the young woman that Holly, Cameron and Huang Yan are talking to. Christopher can't help but notice the scowling look that Cameron is favouring Huang Yang with and wonders what their newest companion had done to deserve such a look.

He does catch some of the conversation as is a little disappointed to hear that the musicians won't be at the cantina until tomorrow but it looked like Victor was 'on the level' with the information that he had shared.

The revelations about 'Ms de la Luz's' singing was something of interest, her .. experimental songs no doubt mirroring her involvement with the 'cult' and Brooks. So.. they were recording her songs ... but to what end? There had to be a purpose, didn't there? And probably not to make money... something more .. sinister, no doubt.

"Can I get anyone a drink?" he asks smiling, if they would have to come back to interview the musicians then it might be a good idea to ingratiate themselves with the bar-owners.
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian Morin

"I'll have a beer, if possible. Thanks, Christopher." He promptly responded to his friend.

He the turns to Elena. "It would be nice to see them play, for sure. What about Letícia's stage band? They hang around here as well, or were they solo performances?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, I'll have one too," says Holly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher nods, "No problem.. I'll get everyone a beer." with that he heads to the bar.

"Hola, señor.." Chriatopher pauses momentarily taking in the bar-man's appearance which hadn'r fully registered as he had walked into the cantina. "Drinks for my friends ... beers, cerveza .. por favour and whatever Elena usually has and one for you." Christoper he says with a smile and a tourist mix of English and Spanish.
OOC:   If it seems the barman understands English then Christopher will make up a little story asking if 'Samuel' had been in - and describe the driver of the car he saw earlier (that way he may get a name for the driver if he's known to the locals). Samuel can be a real-estate agent ... who was going to meet them here.  
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Elena seems a little overwhelmed by the many questions, but she keeps answering with a smile: "Well, the event tomorrow night starts at 9 PM. If you come by a little earlier, I can arrange some time for you to meet the band. Javier and the guys often played with Leticia in '33 and '34, but she worked with half a dozen different bands depending on the kind of music she was working on at that time. It would be hard to trace them after all this time", she then turns towards Huang Yan: "I don't know what to tell you. It's an old song of my grandmother's folk. Traditional stuff. They believed it could protect from evil spirits or something like that. She taught me the song and told me to sing it when I was afraid, that it would protect me. I have never made much of it, except I found myself whispering it as Leticia sang. I wasn't afraid, for sure. It was just a song, after all!".

Meanwhile, at the bar, Tonio prepares the drinks. He seems to know a few words of english, but as Christopher tries to describe the driver and ask for information, he gets lost and shrugs to show he is not following anymore.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Holly, "I'd love to meet the band."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"I see. Thank you." Huang Yan nodded, not pressing the issue. He then goes towards Christopher with a smile on his face. "You need help?"
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

"Yes, I was just telling the barman here that we were expecting to meet Samuel the real-estate agent here, you know that guy that drives the..." he goes on to describe the vehicle he saw outside and a description of the driver, .. "And I was wondering if the barman here had seen him."
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

"Señor, ¿has visto a Samuel?" Huang Yan asked kindly in Spanish, as he tried to navigate the conversation using the cues giving to him by Christopher, describing the fake story, the real-estate agent and the car as well as his physical description. He tried to come off as an affably charming person in the process.
carnage_lee
Admin
Admin

Post by carnage_lee »

Christopher Fontana

Christopher nods and smiles in what he hopes are the right places as Huang Yan talks to the barman, takes out a ten-dollar bill from his wallet and he looks about for a tray, to carry his drinks.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Tonio shakes his head and answers in a shaky English mixed with Spanish: "No know esto Samuel, senõr", as he handles a tray to Christopher.

Meanwhile, Elena seems curious about you. She smiles, placing a hand on Ian's arm as she invites you to sit at her table: "And tell me, what takes you to Mexico City? I have got to say, you're a strange group of travelers. It can't be just an interest for alternative music, right?".
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I do have an interest in archaeology," says Holly, taking a seat. "There's a dig site I'd like to see." While she doesn't want to lie to Elena, neither does she want to tell her the whole truth. It's not that she doesn't trust her, but she doesn't want the knowledge of why they're really here to endanger her.
OOC,I'll use Assess Honesty, though I think she's on the up and up.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
HelplessBystander
Keeper
Keeper

Huang Yan gave a gentle shake of his head, and thanked Tonio. Before sharing a look with Christopher, switching to English, "Well, that's he says. Do you think he's lying?"
leonardolad
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by leonardolad »

Ian Morin

Ian laughs awkwardly with Elena's Inquiry. He takes a seat, secretly hoping she sit beside him. "What an interesting woman!", he thinks. "Well, we really are, aren't we? Heh. Let's say we have a wide-range of interests, and right now our interests are exactly alternative music and archaeology. And maybe tequila." He says with a grin. He feels like they can trust Elena, but he's not sure if it would be good to tell her much.
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Elena seems to consider what you've said for a few seconds, then smiles and shrugs, saying: "Well, I suppose it's bad manners to pry into other people's business. Sorry about that. It's just that nothing really interesting happens around here, despite being a big city and all. We don't even get that many tourists. I'm saving up money, you see", she leans forward conspiringly, "Once I have enough, I'll leave this city. I'll go to California, or maybe even Europe. I'd like to see Paris. Some place where things really happen, if you get what I mean". She flashes another bright smile, then adds: "Well, if you need a guide to move around the city, I'll take an economic fee. I'm no expert about old ruins, but I know every street of the city, and every musician worth listening to", she winks.
Assess Honesty,Elena looks to be exactly what she seems: a young, clever and bored woman, perhaps looking for a thrill of excitement to shake up her daily life.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, that sounds good to me," says Holly, thinking that Elena might get more excitement than she wants if she accompanies them. "What do the rest of you think?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   Waiting for carnage_lee and leonardolad. I think you might want to move on then, so think if there's any other piece of information you might want to get here.

Also, we'll have another player join in as HoneyDog is retiring.

I've also not been very active lately due to real life getting in the way. I should be more present starting from next weekend.  

Return to “Eternal Lies (Trail of Cthulhu)”