Page 1 of 1

[IC - LA] The Studios (Cam, Ian and Christopher)

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:07 pm
by Overlord87

The day after, you travel under the sun to the studios where she should be shooting at. You have no trouble getting there, and it's a simple task to ask around and confirm that Olivia Clarendon is here, right now. In fact, there are many fans of hers, with photos in hand, willing to wait the whole day just for the chance to catch a glimpse of her idol. You also spot many journalists lurking around.

And obviously, there's security. Not everyone is allowed in, and certainly not the fans and the journalists. It doesn't seem likely they'll let you in very easily.

Re: [IC - LA] The Studios (Cam, Ian and Christopher)

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron looks at the crowds and sighs. "I don't see how we can talk our way into there." he says. "We need a way to attract her attention. Let's call her agent, and tell them we need to talk to her about Trammel or nectar or something. The danger of that is that if she is still in contact with Trammel, then she is in a position to set us up."

He thinks for a moment. "I wonder if she remembers you, Ian".

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:16 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

Ian denies with his head. "I don't think we ever met. Olivia Clarendon was involved in this thing back in Echavarria's days, I think." He looks at the crowd around "I agree. I think our best shot is her agent. Maybe we can call one of these security fellas and see if he can say to her agent that we have some questions regarding the cult. These people are too worry about their image to let something like this pass."

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:59 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“That’s if her agent knows anything about that stuff. And there’s no reason why they would pass on any message. It’s a pretty long shot.”

He drums his fingers on the steering wheel.

“We’re better off trying to get to her away from all this circus. When she gets home, or goes to dinner, or something. We need to give her an indication of what we know directly, so she has no choice but to listen. That means shadowing her, which means more time in LA. Do you guys have any more ideas? Frankly, I’m for heading down to Mexico.”

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana
"I don't see what talking to Olivia Clarendon can add to what we know.. it is likely that she's not involved any more and if she does still have ties with the cult then that will only add to the danger we are in." He nods to Ian. "And while it's true that her reputation may be paramount, the studio's have a lot of power... we don't want to make any more enemies, if anything we need allies, Clarendon would be a better as a 'friend' to us."
OOC:   We could leave a message with her agent... mention echivarria and ask her to call the hotel?

Meta: we should consider what info we might gain.. this certainly won't be a core clue.. so do we need it?  

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:00 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   If she does still have ties to the cult then we had better be out of that hotel. But the plan is sound if we bribe the hotel manager or someone similar to pass on a call to us, and warn us if any shady types come sniffing around. Call her agent and tell them that Echavarria would like to talk to her. See if we get a reaction from her.

Any information she gives might be useful in understanding the intentions of the cult.  

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:27 am
by leonardolad
OOC:   Maybe a call, then. I agree that it probably won't be a core clue, but maybe it will add something to the big picture.  

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:08 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   So, are you going to call the agent? What will you say to him?  

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:52 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Like I said, as it would probably be impossible to speak to her directly, we can ask the agent to pass on the message that someone wants to talk to her about Echavarria. We specify a time when we will call back, and she needs to be available to take the call. How does it sound?  

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:44 am
by Overlord87
You manage to speak with the agent and, although reluctantly, convince him to pass your message to Olivia Clarendon. When you later call, you hear a female voice on the other side of the phone: "This is Olivia speaking. Who am I talking to?".

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron clears his throat.

“Olivia, I represent a group who investigating Echavarria and his cult. We know that you were involved. We’re not looking to expose you, but we have some questions that we want answered. Answer them satisfactorily, and you’ll never hear from us again. If you don’t talk to us, it could make problems for your reputation and career. We need to speak to you, alone, within the hour.”

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:40 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Christopher will go along... but he's not happy about it. He is definitely of the impression that getting out of LA is the best thing to do.

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 pm
by Overlord87
There is a long silence. You can hear her breathing, quickly. Then she says: : "I think you misunderstood... and I know the man, Echavarria, is long dead... God be praised. Meet me at the Metropolitan Hotel, I will explain to you".

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:00 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"Go to the hotel now. We'll meet you there, but we'll talk in our car. I'm not taking any chances."

He rings off and tells the others of the plan.

"Let's head over there now."

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:04 am
by Overlord87
Twenty minutes later, you are entering the Metropolitan Hotel. You don't see Olivia in the main hall, but you check the reception and discover that she's in the hotel. Shortly after, a man dressed in an elegant suit approaches you, introducing himself as Jonathan Stone, Olivia's agent. You recognize his voice from your earlier call. He studies you for a second, looking particularly wary of Cam, then says: "Olivia is waiting for you, in a private room. I'll be standing outside. This way or no way. And don't try anything funny".

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:01 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron’s having none of it.

“You don’t get to dictate terms, Stone. I can go and call the newspapers right now if you like. We talk where we’re safe, not in some private room. Wait here, all of you.”

He walks off to check around, looking out for points of entry and exit, and any suspicious looking individuals.
Sense Trouble,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/527440]Sense Trouble[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]2[/b]

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:12 pm
by Overlord87
"Not safe? Is this some kind of joke? You're three men, she's a woman, what do you think she'll do? Suffocate you with her perfume?", he laughes nervously, still looking wary of Cam. "I'm the one who should be worried here. You can be criminals for all I know. Hell, you probably are. She's not leaving this hotel with you".
Cam,You see nothing suspicious.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:55 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“Fine. We’ll do it here, in the lobby. You can stay, but keep your mouth shut. Bring her now.”

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:10 pm
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

"One second please... " Christopher says to Stone, with that Christopher steps away, pulling Cam with him.

Stopping some distance away Christopher talks to Cam in a low voice. "I don't think we need to be this 'aggressive' Cam, even in a private room this is still a public space ... besides we don't want to be noticed having a meeting with Clarendon ... thinks like that get remembered, we need to keep things on the 'down low' as much as possible." Christopher says, "We have the leverage here.." he says, tapping his briefcase* "Let's play this out by following Clarendon's lead ... she didn't have to meet with us."

Christopher looks Cam in the eye... "Trust me on this... OK?" he says earnestly.

*Taking a liberty and suggesting that the photo's are in Christopher's briefcase.
OOC,Would it be reasonable to assume that we have all the photo's that have Clarendon in them?

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:18 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   In the photos you retrieved from the safebox, there is no trace of Olivia Clarendon. You do have the poster signed by Olivia to Ayers, though. You can check The Diary topic if you need to refresh your memory ;)  

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:00 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron controls himself with an effort.

“I’m trying to keep us alive. How do you know she isn’t still in contact with Trammel? I was hired to provide security, and that’s what I’m doing. I was nearly killed yesterday after trusting Ian, and I’m not making that mistake again. So please excuse me if I appear ‘aggressive’” he says, with heavy sarcasm.

He pulls away from Christopher and goes back to Stone. “Get her now” he snarls.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 am
by Overlord87
Stone takes a step back, looking scared for a second. Then he straightens up and says: "We're leaving. Don't contact us again", he then turns and walks away.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:35 am
by carnage_lee
Christopher Fontana

Christopher shakes his head at Cam's outburst, the man was handling this all wrong... then Stone makes his not unreasonable reaction and walks away. Deciding that the situation was pretty much ruined he decided to do the same. Christopher heads through the lobby and outside onto the side-walk.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:55 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron goes after Stone and catches him up .

"Stone, wait. We only want to ask her some questions about the past. The cult she was involved in were very dangerous and they still exist. I don't know whether she is still associated with them, so I have to be careful.I don't know if you're familiar with that part of her life, but I'm sure you don't want it to get out. So you give us thirty minutes, then we're gone forever. If not, we do have evidence of her involvement and we will release it. Now, can we stop screwing around and talk?"

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:18 am
by Overlord87
Stone replies curtly, anger flashing through his voice: "What the hell are you talking about? A cult? Are you mad? Get lost, before I call the police".

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:31 am
by HoneyDog
Assess Honesty,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/528769]Assess Honesty[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]5[/b]
Stone’s reaction surprises Cameron. “You really don’t know, do you? Listen, sit down a minute.”

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 am
by Overlord87
OOC:   You can't choose how a NPC reacts ;) I have edited your post.  
Assess Honesty,It seems he really has no idea what you are talking about. Also, he looks seriously pissed right now. You'll need to work on him if you want to keep the conversation going. Simply telling him to sit down won't do. Also, no need to roll, as Assess Honesty is an investigative ability and investigative abilities always succeed when used ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:17 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   I didn't think I had.  
Cameron sits down without waiting for Stone. He wants a rest. He begins talking.

“Didn’t it seem strange to you why she agreed to this meeting? WIth strangers at such short notice? Clarendon was a member of a cult a long time ago, when she was starting out. It was run by a man called Ramon Echavarria, and they indulged in orgies including sex and drugs, and we suspect the worship of some kind of god. The cult was broken up, and her association probably ended there, but we have evidence now that they still exist, and are engaged in drug manufacturing and selling. They are very dangerous, and that’s why I’m on edge and being extra suspicious.”

He pauses.

“If we speak to Olivia, we can clear up any suspicion of her involvement, and things can get back to normal for you – I promise we’ll be gone. But if she is still involved, your reputation will go down the toilet. So either way, you need us to talk to her.”
OOC:   Can I use Reassurance?  

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:11 am
by Overlord87
"Look, I'm her agent, I know her every move. She's not involved in any strange shit, all right?", he answers. He seems to be listening, but still on edge.
OOC:   You can use Reassurance, but you'll need a 2-points spend if you still want to talk with Olivia.  

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 am
by HoneyDog
OOC:   Sure, I'll spend the points.  
"Fair enough, she's not involved now, but she certainly was. And this thing can come back to bite her on the ass if you're not careful. We're doing our damndnest to put this cult down, and we can keep her involvement quiet. But we need to know what she knows. You stay with her while we talk, I guess you need to hear it too."

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:28 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

Ian remains silent for the whole exchange, uncomfortable after the scene in the hotel. When things looked calmer between Cam and Stone he enters the conversation. "We are trying to put some pieces together here, Mr. Stone. I believe you when you say she's not involved, but a few years back she had contact with this fella, Echavarria, and his group. Were you her agent back in the early 20s, when she was starting her acting career?"

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 am
by Overlord87
Stone looks confusedly between Ian and Cam: "Look, I don't really get what you're saying. And I'm not sure Olivia even had an agent in the early twentirs. But you do understand she's one of the most famous women in America now, right? You can't have a conversation with her in an hotel lobby and hope that conversation will be private. Plus", he adds with a quick glance at Cam, "I can't really have her seen with someone like you - no offense. If you don't want to talk with her in the private room here, we can use one of the hotel room upstairs. Just try to be reasonable, all right?".

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:13 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron smiles. "I wouldn't want to embarrass the great lady with my ugly mug. But you might be in for a shock after you hear what she has to say."

He stands up. "A private room is fine. But I insist on checking it first. It needs to be on the ground floor with windows. I'm sorry if I seem paranoid, but there it is. Is that acceptable?"

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:07 pm
by Overlord87
Stone shrugs, as if saying "do what you want", then after a quick discussion with the hotel staff (and a generous tip), he comes back with a key and leads you along a corridor to a small wooden door. He opens it and allows Cam to check inside - the room looks empty, apart from a couple of couches and a small, round table. Then, after a few minutes, he comes back with a woman, wearing a large hat and sunglasses and walking at a brisk pace. She stops to look at you for a second, then heads inside and sits on one of the couches. "I'll be waiting outside until you're done", Stone says, "I think I don't want to hear anything else about this story", he finishes while resting his back against the wall opposite the door.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:19 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron’s painful shoulder, and general fatigue, stops him from punching Stone in the face as hard as he can. “After all that, the man just washes his hands.”

Instead, he checks his temper and turns to Ian. “Why don’t you get acquainted? Or perhaps reacquainted. I want to check outside to make sure everything is clear. And maybe Christopher might still be sulking around here somewhere. I'll be back shortly.”

He heads off.

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:55 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Sure." He says, avoiding eye-contact with Cam. He sits on the other couch, opposed to Olivia and lights a cigarette, measuring the woman in front of him. Even though she's extremely beautiful, he can't avoid thinking how cliché for a movie star to use sunglasses and such a big hat indoors.
"Thank you for accept this meeting, Ms. Clarendon. I'm pretty sure you're a busy person, and we don't want to take your time more than needed, so I'll go straight to the point. Do you know a man named Echavarria?"

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:50 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron steps outside and lights a cigarette. His nerves are still on edge as he scans the street for anything suspicious. Yesterday’s events shocked him more than he realized, and the conversation with Clarence has maybe created some doubts of his own.

“Is this really worth getting killed over?” he ponders.
Sense Trouble,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/530059]Sense Trouble[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]5[/b]

Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:33 pm
by Overlord87

When the door closes, Olivia takes off her coat, hat and the sunglasses. She is stunningly beautiful, perhaps even more so than on screen. Her blond hair seems to shine even in the dim light of the room. "I did, unfortunately. But you have me at a disadvantage here, mister...?", she lets her voice trail off at the end of the question.
Cam,You don't notice anything suspicious.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:12 am
by HoneyDog
Satisfied that everything seems okay, Cameron returns to the room. He informs the concierge of their location in case Christopher returns.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:36 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"Oh, sorry. John, and this here is my friend Benjamin." He says, pointing to Cam. "What can you tell us about Mr. E and his group?"

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:29 am
by Overlord87

Olivia arches one of her thin eyebrows upon hearing the names, but makes no comment and simply answers the question: "I met Echavarria in... 1923 I think. Back then, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I was looking for someone who could help my career. I thought Echavarria could have been the right man. So I went to a few of his parties... and discovered he was a depraved, bad man. Very bad. I cut all ties with him and his group. Luckily, I wasn't yet very deep in. And let me tell you something, I wasn't surprised to discover his fate later on. He had it coming".

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:02 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

Clarendon interests Cameron. He stands at the back of the room regarding her. She seems very calm and cool, but of course, she is an actress, and is used to telling stories.

“How did you meet Echavarria?” he asks. “I’m curious about how people got involved in the cult.” He resists the temptation to glance at Ian as he asks this.
Assess Honesty,[url=http://orokos.com/roll/530384]Assess Honesty[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]6[/b]

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:26 pm
by Overlord87

"Cult? I never really thought... but it makes sense, of course", she says pensively, "I'm sorry, it's just, for me, they were only people with a taste for the excess. But I suppose Echavarria might very well have believed himself a... priest... of some sort. Anyway, I was first introduced by a professor from UCLA, who I met while making research for a movie scenario I wanted to write. I suppose it went mostly like that, with those already in the circle inviting outsiders to join".

Assess Honesty,[ooc]No need to roll, as it is an investigative ability. Also, check out here: http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=352&t=5609[/ooc] As far as you can tell, she seems to be telling the truth.

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:02 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron

“Did you ever get close to Echavarria? Or any of his inner circle?”
OOC,Thanks OL I'll remember that.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:04 am
by Overlord87

"I met Echavarria, and I talked with him, but never really got close. The man who introduced me... the professor, Ayers.... I knew him better from our work together, but I'd hardly have called him a friend. He was important inside the group, though. Apart from that, I didn't stay long enough to build any lasting relationship, especially with the leaders".

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

ian nods with his head. "I see... Tell me, Miss Clarendon, does the word 'Nectar' means anything to you?"

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:32 am
by Overlord87

She frowns for a few seconds, apparently trying to remember: "I have heard the word... I think it was some kind of mixed drink Echavarria's group preferred... but I'm not really sure".

Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:26 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron isn’t so sure about this answer. “Are you sure you didn’t encounter nectar Miss Clarendon?” he enquires.
Assess Honesty,I don't think she's telling the truth.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:42 am
by Overlord87

Olivia narrows her eyes as she looks at Cam, then says: "It's been many years and my memory might fail me. I'm quite sure I did not drink any nectar. But if you can tell me precisely what you mean by that word, I might be able to help you more".
Assess Honesty,She's clearly a smart woman, and she's being wary at the moment. Still, you don't think she's lying to you.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:14 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron

"Oh, I think Ian here can tell you more about nectar."

He is beginning to think that Clarendon won’t be able to tell them much. His shoulder aches and he starts longing for a drink.

Standing up he walks over to Ian and whispers in his ear. "I don't think we'll get much more out of her. I think we need to get down to Mexico. You continue this as long as you like and we can leave when you’re ready.”

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:50 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

Ian nods to Cam, agreeing that the woman doesn't seems to know much. He turns to Olivia. Well... nectar is a white liquid, with a milky appearance, but it's definitely not a common drink. We... Ian and looks uncomfortably at Cam. "We believe that it is some kind of drug. When people ingest it, they become... ahn... expansive and...aroused, if you know what I mean. Do you remember something like that? Or, if there are anything unusual you can remember from your time with that group... anything can help."

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:54 am
by Overlord87

Olivia quickly blinks twice, then answers: "No, nothing unusual... well, they did all kind of things at those parties, but nothing... really... unusual", you can't help notice she sounds like she's convincing herself more than you, "And I don't remember this Nectar thing, sorry", she curtly adds.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:38 pm
by HoneyDog
Cameron sighs.

"Miss Clarendon, we know you'd rather forget the whole thing. And I’m genuinely sorry we're here today dredging all this up"
he says sincerely.

“But as you can see, it never ended with Echavarria’s death. We want to put a stop to it, and we can do that with your help. We’re not looking to involve you again. Please tell us what you know about what their intentions were. We know they were conducting rituals of some kind.”
OOC,He's willing to spend a point on reassurance if possible.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:00 pm
by Overlord87

Olivia seems a little hesitant: "I don't think I can help you anymore than this... and if as you say someone took Echavarria's place after his death, then I wish I could help you, but I can't... it's just...", she takes a deep breath and turns towards Ian before continuing, "When you asked if I remembered something unusual... well, it sort of came back to me, and now I can't take it out of my mind. You see, one time... the last time I ever went to one of their... gatherings... they went really wild. I remember Echavarria himself was having sex on a couch with a few other women... and men... and there was... there was a mouth on the couch. And it was... participating... God... it was participating", she shivers and shakes her head, "It can't have been true, of course. But even ten years later, I can't get that picture out of my head. Perhaps I did take some of that drug, without knowing it. That would explain, i guess...", her voice trails off and she falls quiet, looking at the floor.
Cam,1 point of Reassurance spent.
Ian,You suddenly feel very dizzy. No flashback, no vision, nothing more than that, but you feel very dizzy.

Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:25 pm
by HoneyDog
Her story sounds amazing, but Cameron wonders if there is some truth in it. The whole thing is very strange.

He's content to end the meeting, but waits for Ian's response.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:58 pm
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

"A couch, you say? That's... um..." Suddenly Ian feels really dizzy. He closes his eyes, hoping he's not having another flashback. "I'm sorry, miss. Just... just give me a minute." He leans back on his chair, taking a few deep breath, tying to clear his mind.

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 am
by HoneyDog
Cameron looks over at Ian. "He remembers it too."

He gets up and walks over to Ian, and puts his hand on his shoulder. "Let's go. It doesn't do you any good, recalling this stuff."

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:31 am
by Overlord87

Olivia leans forward: "Are you all right? We can ask for a glass of water... or something stronger".
OOC:   If you're ready, we can wrap this scene up and move forward.  

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:00 pm
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Did Christopher go back and get his photo's of the plans of Echivaria's House?  

Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:41 pm
by Overlord87
OOC:   Yes, you can have the photos with you.  

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:29 am
by carnage_lee
OOC:   Then that's what Christopher will be doing after he left the scene... he'll then go back to 'our' hotel.  

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:56 am
by leonardolad
Ian Morin

No, no, Miss Clarendon. I'll be fine. I think we are done here. Thank you for your time, and I'm sorry for any trouble we may have caused.
OOC:   Yeah, I think we're done.